Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Now if they get Odunze, that could move Wilson into the slot, which would be a tremendous upgrade and a massive mismatch with two big WRs on the outside. It’s a massive difference. Or Nabers would probably start in the slot, which would also be devastating to unsuspecting slot CBs. Much bigger upgrade than Bowers, who might not be an upgrade at all. 

This is such an important point, imo. If Bowers wins a rep in the slot, the offense gains ten yards. If Garrett Wilson or Nabers wins the rep in the slot, it’s a 60 yard TD. Teams generally don’t have three corners that can check Williams/Garrett/Odunze(Nabers), but every team has multiple guys that can kind of stay with Bowers. I’d see more appeal to Bowers if the Jets had a young QB that needed a safety blanket, but they have Rodgers and Tyrod—both of whom are looking to exploit defenses down the field on the boundaries. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

49 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is such an important point, imo. If Bowers wins a rep in the slot, the offense gains ten yards. If Garrett Wilson or Nabers wins the rep in the slot, it’s a 60 yard TD. Teams generally don’t have three corners that can check Williams/Garrett/Odunze(Nabers), but every team has multiple guys that can kind of stay with Bowers. I’d see more appeal to Bowers if the Jets had a young QB that needed a safety blanket, but they have Rodgers and Tyrod—both of whom are looking to exploit defenses down the field on the boundaries. 

This is the inherent issue with investing such a top pick in a TE - they’re not home run hitters.  They’re volume players.  If you take bowers you have to keep throwing him the ball a lot.  

• Upvote 2

Bucky brooks credentials 

After his playing career was over in 1999, Brooks joined the Seattle Seahawks' pro personnel department as a regional college scout. He served in the same capacity for the Carolina Panthers from 2003 to 2007,

his take on bowers

The tight end class is not as loaded as the 2023 group, but Georgia's Brock Bowers is a future All-Pro with a gold jacket-caliber game. He is the mismatch creator every offensive coordinator covets in a flex tight end with Y capabilities. 

so Pauline has Bowers as the 3rd overall prospect, Brugler has him at 7. Jeremiah also has him at 7

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

press your luck no GIF

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This explains why George Kittle averaged more yards per reception than Tyreek Hill 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

To piggyback off of Slats, you both make very good points of distilling potential benefits of our potential pick.

If Nabers somehow slips I hope we move up a few spots to get the golden ticket... otherwise I'm hoping somebody wants to trade into our spot... 

• Upvote 1

Don’t fall for the smear campaign.  Bowers is special

if you prefer oline like I do that’s understandable.  If you prefer a WR also understandable. Don’t think he will have a role here ? Possibly.  

knocking Bowers the prospect makes you look.  Umm. Well.  Like you started following football yesterday lol. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This explains why George Kittle averaged more yards per reception than Tyreek Hill 

Because Tyreek Hill is the 1A receiving option on his team and Kittle is the #4 receiver on his team. 

2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

And yet all those 60 yard receptions couldn’t move the needle 

When you have twice as many receptions as Kittle (119 to 60), the occasional ten yarder is bound to bring the averages down. 

34 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This is the inherent issue with investing such a top pick in a TE - they’re not home run hitters.  They’re volume players.  If you take bowers you have to keep throwing him the ball a lot.  

Which Rodgers has NEVER done in his career no matter who he had at TE.  No high volume for TEs here.  For the short term, Bowers would be a crappy pick.  Borderline horrible choice.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Which Rodgers has NEVER done in his career no matter who he had at TE.  No high volume for TEs here.  For the short term, Bowers would be a crappy pick.  Borderline horrible choice.

Yeah he totally wasted Tony Gonzalez and Rob Gronkowskis careers

Ive seen it mentioned here that Rodgers loves to throw the ball near the line of scrimmage. If true, then Bowers is the perfect fit.

7 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Ok let’s get a talent line Bowers in the fifth round. Can we take a qb at 199 while we’re shoppin 

Get some high level play from the position like Evan Engram or TJ Hockenson.

7 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

You act like all the top WRs just pull 60 yarders out of their asses every game 

Going to suggest that Malik Nabers will produce more 60+ yard receptions out of his ass next season than every TE combined.

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Don’t draft a player for rodgers.  Draft the best OL or wr.  This guy is hopefully going to be here well beyond rodgers. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Larz said:

Mr 10 yards 

The third one was very impressive, great concentration.

The other three, IMO, just expose how poor the Defenses can be in college.  He'll very rarely be as open or have holes as big as those in the Pro game.

JMO.

P.S. He does look speedy, vs. those college D's.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jeremiah, yesterday, asked specifically where’s the earliest he’d personally draft Bowers: “15th to the Colts.”

Last week he had the broncos taking him at 12 after the jets traded out of 10

9 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

My guess is Odunze dominates as a third option to Wilson and Williams.  If it's Bowers, he is a matchup nightmare, especially if he gets the ball in his hands early.  I believe that is Rodgers specialty.  Further, he is a monster blocking in front of Breece.  So either one will make this team much better.

OT is not a starting position.  I wouldn't waste the 10th pick on someone I do not expect to start.  Wait until the 3rd or trade up to get Paul out of Houston.  Started 55 games at LT and had the highest pass protection grades of any OT in the draft.  If we do need someone because of injury, best that his strength is pass protection.

I see it the same way, except I have Alt at the same level as Odunze and Bowers.  I’ll be happy with any of the 3 and do believe we need to ‘expect’ that our OL will suffer injuries.  We are just not that fortunate.   I just don’t think first year non Alt(s) will be that much better being thrown into the fire with limited 1st team reps than a vet free agent pickup post draft.  

I want BAP and would prefer Odunze and Bowers over non Alt OTs.  Take Latham for example, he struggled somewhat against some of the better pass rushers in the SEC.  That development time for an OT is important.  To be fair, same for a TE but Bowers is more a flex slot option.

I have OG in round 3 only because they are much more likely to be NFL ready than OTs.  Build the OL inside out and have AVT as the plan C contingency after a post draft vet and Warren (RT only).

• Upvote 1

He is tough. He is easy to grade. I mean, when you watch him, he's super easy to grade. He is one of the best 10 players in the draft," said NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, who compared Bowers to All-Pro George Kittle and praised his tenacity, speed, ability to create separation and run after the catch.17 hours ago

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Larz said:

Mr 10 yards 

I'm still agnostic on taking him but I want to make some comments on these videos

In the 1st video, he was wide open down the middle and broke one weak tackle attempt and then juked out a defender who didn't look too impressive.  Georiga also led unranked South Carolina 24-0 at the time so it's not like the game was exactly close.

In the 2nd video, they're playing Kent State.  Bowers took the hand-off, then outran one guy down the sidelines.

In the 3rd video, they're playing unranked Florida.  The defender tapped the ball up in the air and then fell down.  Bowers happened to be right there to snatch the ball out of the air (admittedly he showed good concentration) and then ran unobstructed to the end zone.

In the 4th video, I can't quite tell who they're playing against.  But Bowers was wide open down the right sideline and ran completely unobstructed to the end zone.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Larz said:

Don’t fall for the smear campaign.  Bowers is special

if you prefer oline like I do that’s understandable.  If you prefer a WR also understandable. Don’t think he will have a role here ? Possibly.  

knocking Bowers the prospect makes you look.  Umm. Well.  Like you started following football yesterday lol. 

It's safe to say we would ALL be on board and probably wouldn't even be having this discussion if he simply updated these outstanding #'s done in 2019 while 28 lb's lighter... Found this while down a rabbit hole looking up Bowers info...

BTW, I don't think anybody is knocking Bowers, as I'm certainly not, if he's our pick at 10 I'll trust JD's judgement and root like hell for him to succeed. 

• slats changed the title to Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged