Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged

46 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This is the inherent issue with investing such a top pick in a TE - they’re not home run hitters.  They’re volume players.  If you take bowers you have to keep throwing him the ball a lot.  

They’re also known as a QBs best friend for a reason.  They’re there to get them out of trouble, to move the chains.  I know of no WR who gets even close to one single 60 yard play per game.  
They’re different and each has its use.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

He is tough. He is easy to grade. I mean, when you watch him, he's super easy to grade. He is one of the best 10 players in the draft," said NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, who compared Bowers to All-Pro George Kittle and praised his tenacity, speed, ability to create separation and run after the catch.17 hours ago

5:55 to 7:45
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/around-the-nfl/id680904259?i=1000652901994

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

"Everyone's saying he's great, perhaps even the greatest. Very smart people. People who know words - the best words. People are coming up to me and saying 'I can't believe how great he is. Wow.' "

ChatGP?

23 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah he totally wasted Tony Gonzalez and Rob Gronkowskis careers

Ive seen it mentioned here that Rodgers loves to throw the ball near the line of scrimmage. If true, then Bowers is the perfect fit.

^ nothing could be further from the truth. Have you ever watched Rodgers play? 

6 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Don’t want the TE at 10 but I had a dream last night we drafted bowers and he was tearing up league his rookie year.

don't forget to wash the sheets

• Haha 4

I think it’s best for people to keep an open mind and have multiple players they’d love for us to add.

If you’re pro Bowers… I don’t see why you shouldn’t be pro Odunze. Both playmakers that we could use.

Now if you’re someone who absolutely doesn’t want a weapon and only wants OL. I suggest that you keep an open mind. With Rodgers the ball will come out faster making there life easier.

If you’re someone dead set on a weapon. Keep an open mind to OL. That we have enough at weapons that we still can be dangerous.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

Well someone’s a liar then. I’ll find them and give them a good thrashing. @T0mShane don’t be jealous)

MY God, didn't you ever watch Green Bay?  Jermichael Finely says hello.  Graham got a bunch if endzone tosses but not like what's expected of Bowers to stretch the field as a TE.   You think he's the right choice for the Jets at this time?  Enjoy.  If they pick him, I sure hope you are right.  

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This explains why George Kittle averaged more yards per reception than Tyreek Hill 

Hill had almost 800 more yards on the season, nearly doubling Kittle’s per game output, along with more than twice as many TDs. But sure, go ahead, use this an an example of why to take a TE ahead of a WR. Works for me. 

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

MY God, didn't you ever watch Green Bay?  Jermichael Finely says hello.  Graham got a bunch if endzone tosses but not like what's expected of Bowers to stretch the field as a TE.   You think he's the right choice for the Jets at this time?  Enjoy.  If they pick him, I sure hope you are right.  

I do think he is. I hope I’m right. I’m pro pass catcher however so I won’t be devastated if they go that route.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Hill had almost 800 more yards on the season, nearly doubling Kittle’s per game output, along with more than twice as many TDs. But sure, go ahead, use this an an example of why to take a TE ahead of a WR. Works for me. 

Maybe you should go back and read the post I was responding to?

800 yards though, that’s like 13 and a half 60 yarders no?

He’s Jim Thorpe 

Brock Bowers showed up at the 2019 Nike Sparq camp in the Bay Area with one scholarship offer (from Nevada). And yet, he mystified an audience of spectators, several of whom were left in disbelief at his 40-yard dash time.

He ran it in 4.5 seconds. Doubtful of such a time from a player they did not recognize, camp officials asked him to run it again.

He ran it in 4.5 seconds. And that’s without much practice. It was the first time he’d been seriously timed in the 40. He didn’t have proper hand placement, release or stance.

“He ran it in a lineman’s stance,” laughs Nathan Kenion, Bowers’s seven-on-seven coach who got him an invitation to the combine-like event. “Afterward, everyone started to hit him up. ‘Hey, who are you?’”

In an unusual statistic for his position, Bowers opened his junior season of high school by returning a kickoff for a touchdown. “Things you don’t see,” quip Kenion, “tight ends as kick returners.”

Rob Rang, the longtime NFL draft analyst, contends that Bowers is the best tight end he’s seen in more than 25 years of analyzing draft prospects. Kenion says he’s ushering in a new era at the position.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

who is knocking him as a prospect?  The question is: Is Bowers the correct prospect for the NY Jets?  That's the arg... not whether Bowers is a good prospect. 

You keep changing the debate to demonstrating that Bowers is good. Nobody disagrees.  Instead of repeatedly trying to demonstrate that Bowers was successful at Ga, how about why he would be better for us than any other alternative?  Sheesh.  You like to change the context. You and the Bowers proponents can be exhausting.  Yeah he's good.  SHould the Jets pick him given their present situation?  My opinion: No.

Quite frankly though Bowers isn’t a is he a good fit type guy. Only teams that shouldn’t have him extremely high on their boards are teams already with elite TEs. Which is like a handful of teams. Just so happens those teams were teams in the playoffs last year FYI. And the last ones standing. And heck you could even argue they should even look into him. Bc why not run 2 TE sets.

I think anyone thinking he needs to fit a system is mistaken. It’s like saying you should or shouldn’t have drafted Aiden Hutchinson based on a 3-4 or 4-3. No you draft him regardless if you can.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Larz said:

He is tough. He is easy to grade. I mean, when you watch him, he's super easy to grade. He is one of the best 10 players in the draft," said NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, who compared Bowers to All-Pro George Kittle and praised his tenacity, speed, ability to create separation and run after the catch.17 hours ago

7:45 - 8:45

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/around-the-nfl/id680904259?i=1000652901994

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bowers is a very good player and prospect at a position that sees a lot of good players emerge out of later round picks. Tight end is historically a position that requires development both physically and from a technique standpoint. In order to maximize production from the position, they have to become proficient at blocking front seven player that are athletically violent monsters. If you watched early Njoku, Engram, even Tony Gonzalez early on, you saw players that got completely wrecked as inline blockers, and completely swallowed up when teams tried to flex them out against NFL DBs. @Gastineau Lives keeps bringing up Tony Gonzalez and Kittle as a comparison for Bowers. You know how many catches Gonzalez had as a rookie? 33. As a second year player? 59. Both seasons he scored two TDs. Kittle had 43 catches as a rookie, 2 TDs. The Jets have to win *this year*. That ten pick has to be ready to go out of the box. They can’t get to camp and find out that Bowers is getting his ass handed to him—which will absolutely happen—by Quincy Williams, Jermaine Johnson and Michael Carter. They can’t spend the ten pick on a guy who’s been nursing various debilitating hamstring injuries for five months. You dudes are nuts thinking Bowers is some sure thing. 

No one is a sure thing. If I want an apple I go to the supermarket. If I want a hammer I go to the hardware store. If I want a gimp costume I go to your house. These are sure things.

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah he totally wasted Tony Gonzalez and Rob Gronkowskis careers

Ive seen it mentioned here that Rodgers loves to throw the ball near the line of scrimmage. If true, then Bowers is the perfect fit.

Breece Hall caught 76 passes from garbage at QB last year. If Rodgers wants to throw the ball near the LOS, he already has a far more effective weapon to toss it to. 

37 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

It's safe to say we would ALL be on board and probably wouldn't even be having this discussion if he simply updated these outstanding #'s done in 2019 while 28 lb's lighter... Found this while down a rabbit hole looking up Bowers info...

BTW, I don't think anybody is knocking Bowers, as I'm certainly not, if he's our pick at 10 I'll trust JD's judgement and root like hell for him to succeed. 

8560 watts? Damn! I’ll draft Bowers and use him to replace my solar panels. 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Breece Hall caught 76 passes from garbage at QB last year. If Rodgers wants to throw the ball near the LOS, he already has a far more effective weapon to toss it to. 

You can get another reliable rb catcher in the mid rounds or a vet who shakes loose.  

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bowers is a very good player and prospect at a position that sees a lot of good players emerge out of later round picks. Tight end is historically a position that requires development both physically and from a technique standpoint. In order to maximize production from the position, they have to become proficient at blocking front seven player that are athletically violent monsters. If you watched early Njoku, Engram, even Tony Gonzalez early on, you saw players that got completely wrecked as inline blockers, and completely swallowed up when teams tried to flex them out against NFL DBs. @Gastineau Lives keeps bringing up Tony Gonzalez and Kittle as a comparison for Bowers. You know how many catches Gonzalez had as a rookie? 33. As a second year player? 59. Both seasons he scored two TDs. Kittle had 43 catches as a rookie, 2 TDs. The Jets have to win *this year*. That ten pick has to be ready to go out of the box. They can’t get to camp and find out that Bowers is getting his ass handed to him—which will absolutely happen—by Quincy Williams, Jermaine Johnson and Michael Carter. They can’t spend the ten pick on a guy who’s been nursing various debilitating hamstring injuries for five months. You dudes are nuts thinking Bowers is some sure thing. 

I read somewhere that the jets have done a lot of research on BTJ.  It is consistent with their pursuit of a top 3 wr.  They want home run threats, not a singles hitter like bowers at 10.  

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

He’s Jim Thorpe 

B

Rob Rang, the longtime NFL draft analyst, contends that Bowers is the best tight end he’s seen in more than 25 years of analyzing draft prospects. Kenion says he’s ushering in a new era at the position.

Jim Thorpe.  Oh, I like that.  Can I see those Gold medals?  LOL.  

I respect Rob Lang a lot, so that's a plus.  Again,  You just don't seem to get it.  It's not whether Bowers is a good or even a "generational" prospect (a phrase over used and meaningless at his point).  It's whether at this time for the NY Jets it's the best or wisest choice. Carry on.... 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Brock Bowers catching passes near the line of scrimmage:image.gif.fb63d6223c065922fb327ae5e2b34f08.gif

Brock Bowers the other 52 percent of the time (2023):

image.gif.c5ab50b10ac735853a26f74dbfd790c4.gif

51 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

It's safe to say we would ALL be on board and probably wouldn't even be having this discussion if he simply updated these outstanding #'s done in 2019 while 28 lb's lighter... Found this while down a rabbit hole looking up Bowers info...

BTW, I don't think anybody is knocking Bowers, as I'm certainly not, if he's our pick at 10 I'll trust JD's judgement and root like hell for him to succeed. 

He was 17 years old.

I don't think it's a stretch to say a guy as committed as him got bigger and faster in UGA conditioning program.  Certainly looks that way on tape.

• slats changed the title to Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged