Build a wall….

4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Man I would trade McDuck RIGHT NOW to move into round 2 and take Corley.  

I would've considered trading him for BTJ, but not Corley.  

I have a feeling this kid is going off on passing downs especially since we should be playing with the lead most games. 

He's going to be this year's Huff. 

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Doubt it. Douglas was trying to trade up. He didn't do that just to trade down when he was on the clock when the guy he wanted all along was sitting there. He's been trying to get another WR all off-season.

I haven't been following the rumors all day.  Where did you see he was trying to trade up?

Don't forget Olu was William's high school teammate and Caleb was asking for him at 9 in interviews. 

The Bears biggest weakness on offense is their LT.  Imo, Olu should've been the pick.  Maybe JD was trying to trade up to get ahead of the Bears for him instead of Rome? 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I haven't been following the rumors all day.  Where did you see he was trying to trade up?

Don't forget Olu was William's high school teammate and Caleb was asking for him at 9 in interviews. 

The Bears biggest weakness on offense is their LT.  Imo, Olu should've been the pick.  Maybe JD was trying to trade up to get ahead of the Bears for him instead of Rome? 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Baldy was impressed. Good enough for me.  JD has his pick of teh litter besides Alt. Fuaga, Mims, Fantanua. I dont think Latham was ever an option after dealing with Bectons weight issue. Fashanua is a lean mean 6'6  315. He is also pretty young and raw interms of playing football and has mades tremendous strides since his freshman year.  He's only going to get better and didnt give up a sack. Thats pretty ipressive. Obviosuly, JD wanted a LT and a pass protector first and foremost. Very similar comparison to D'Brick who was very very good here for numerous years. As Connor Hughes said, criticizing this pick is beyond ridiculous. 

Not looking to argue since every draft pick is 80% speculation, but take a look back at how Baldy drooled over Mekhi, and Hughes called him the "foundational piece of the Jets' future"... I just don't get the Fashanu love. I watched enough games and game film to think the guy lacks the athleticism of Fantanua, the mean streak and power of Fuaga, the quickness of Alt, and the run blocking ability of all of the above. He's just not good at run blocking. Not sure who will "coach him up" before Bob gets frustrated that he's not Hall of Fame ready. Anyway, just an opinion. Time to get back to my basement. More film to watch. Cheers!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Really, Jets said:

Becton's comp was Jonathan Ogden... he played more like Jonathan Winters.

Comps are usually based on size, skillset, and style.  The point was "big, slow, and plodding" is literally nowhere to be seen in any of Fashanu's profiles written by professional analysts out there.  It was completely made up by the poster who wrote it, who I reckon has done zero evaluation on the player himself.

19 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

I would disagree with Hughes in that I think having the future franchise LT is more important than having an insurance policy for this year.

For everybody complaining about Fashanu not being a starter as rookie, the fact of the matter is that the Jets weren’t in a position to draft anyone who would be an immediate starter. Except maybe a DT, that would’ve gone over well. Even WR/Bowers would’ve been filling the slot receiver role, at best. 

I agree that having the presumed future LT is the whole point, but he’s also a valuable insurance policy this year behind an All Pro who doesn’t really practice anymore. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Really, Jets said:

Becton's comp was Jonathan Ogden... he played more like Jonathan Winters.

Jonathan Winters: Yea I used to play football. I was a tackle oh yea. But I never blocked people. I was like Mehki Becton. I just sat on them and ate them. 

Ahhh he was the best!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Really, Jets said:

We are actually about the same size, so, ok. Not everyone who comments is a fleshy basement dweller. Sorry to disappoint you. You were never critical of a Jets draft pick? Guy is a terrible run blocker. Our top down coaching is among the worst in the league, so don't expect much improvement. Anyway, we'll see.

oh yea well I wont be telling you anything to your face so there.

4 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Comps are usually based on size, skillset, and style.  The point was "big, slow, and plodding" is literally nowhere to be seen in any of Fashanu's profiles written by professional analysts out there.  It was completely made up by the poster who wrote it, who I reckon has done zero evaluation on the player himself.

Whatever you say, Skippy.

4 hours ago, slats said:

.......the fact of the matter is that the Jets weren’t in a position to draft anyone who would be an immediate starter.

Two years running now.  We must be hella strong in the #1's.

20 hours ago, Really, Jets said:

What was he supposed to tell him? 

He could just say that they're excited and ecstatic to get him.  He doesn't have to lie or make sh*t up.  He should be real and genuine.

On 4/26/2024 at 7:45 AM, slats said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if they were targeting OT or even Fashanu, specifically, but this is what they all say. We don’t know if they would’ve taken Odunze there because he was gone. We do know that he was willing to take him over Bowers, which was the smart move. Squeezing Minnesota beforehand was a nice touch. I thought he might move down again. 

Don’t know what their plan will be but, with Smith not practicing much anymore, he should be able to get a ton of practice reps at LT all season (if he hasn’t won a starting job elsewhere first). I’m not a fan of drafting insurance, but the team has been sunk by OL injuries (along with terrible QB play, obviously) for a few years now. I’m happy to have him in the fold now, and he should be the starting LT as soon as next season. 

We're not used to it because the Jets haven't been a top team in a long time, but the top teams who don't have any real needs keep a pipeline of talent.  They routinely draft players with their 1st round picks that may sit for a year or half a year behind older vets. Then those draftees become starters in a year or two.

On 4/26/2024 at 6:29 AM, More Cowbell said:

Great. Let's  draft a tackle and start him at G. Why are you saying AVT won't  start the season. It's  freaking April. The season is almost half a year away. 

Guy, if you're going to spout opinions, you ought to follow the Jets more closely.  AVT tore his ACL.  Those take a long time to heal, and playing OL puts a lot of pressure and strain on the ACL.  It takes a lot of rehab, and following surgery, one has to wait for all the swelling to go down to begin rehab.  It's totally questionable whether AVT will be ready to play in the 1st month of the season.

6 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Guy, if you're going to spout opinions, you ought to follow the Jets more closely.  AVT tore his ACL.  Those take a long time to heal, and playing OL puts a lot of pressure and strain on the ACL.  It takes a lot of rehab, and following surgery, one has to wait for all the swelling to go down to begin rehab.  It's totally questionable whether AVT will be ready to play in the 1st month of the season.

Your living in the past. ACLs are generally 4 to 8 month injuries now. Look at Hall. People thought he would have to be brought along slowly. He got nearly a full load right away. 

• Upvote 1

Who was signed on a Tuesday then played Sunday? Was that Newman or Glaser?

the only job open on the line now is 5th IOL behind Schweitzer.  

Smith/Moses/Fashanu/Warren has to be the best tackle group in many years