Build a wall….

8 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Who do you like in the 3rd round?  The only WRs I like that are likely to go in the 3rd are Jermaine Burton, Jamari Thrash, and Brenden Rice, and I don't like any of them anywhere near as much as I like Corley and Roman Wilson.

So many. McCaferty, Washington, Dez Walker, Johnny Wilson* , Javon Baker (Sleeper) 

Johnny Wilson* 

Height: 6 - 6 |Weight: 231 lbs |RAS: 9.7

Strengths

- Outrageously long receiving threat with a dominating frame and wingspan

- Offers eye-catching explosiveness and initial accelerative capacity for his size

- Long strides, combined with stride frequency, amount to legitimate deep speed

- Effortlessly elongates and snares high passes, and has stellar sideline awareness

- Physicality translates well both at route stems and as a RAC threat in space

- Extremely tenacious blocker who understands leverage and dominates with his traits

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

So many. McCaferty, Washington, Dez Walker, Johnny Wilson* , Javon Baker (Sleeper) 

Johnny Wilson* 

Height: 6 - 6 |Weight: 231 lbs |RAS: 9.7

Strengths

- Outrageously long receiving threat with a dominating frame and wingspan

- Offers eye-catching explosiveness and initial accelerative capacity for his size

- Long strides, combined with stride frequency, amount to legitimate deep speed

- Effortlessly elongates and snares high passes, and has stellar sideline awareness

- Physicality translates well both at route stems and as a RAC threat in space

- Extremely tenacious blocker who understands leverage and dominates with his traits

I was intrigued by Wilson very early, but he has bad hands.  He dropped a ton of passes. Unless he works on the Juggs machine until his hands bleed, I have no interest in him.  Walker has speed and size, but probably wouldn't contribute a lot in 2024, except maybe as a deep threat.  His route running needs work.  I agree that Baker is a sleeper, but he may need a year or two to develop.  I think Washington and McCafferty could fall to the 4th round.  McCaffery has only played WR for two seasons, and even though his bloodlines are great, he's raw and has a lot to learn. Washington could help on STs and he's tough, but undersized.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JKlecko said:

I was intrigued by Wilson very early, but he has bad hands.  He dropped a ton of passes. Unless he works on the Juggs machine until his hands bleed, I have no interest in him.  Walker has speed and size, but probably wouldn't contribute a lot in 2024, except maybe as a deep threat.  His route running needs work.  I agree that Baker is a sleeper, but he may need a year or two to develop.  I think Washington and McCafferty could fall to the 4th round.  McCaffery has only played WR for two seasons, and even though his bloodlines are great, he's raw and has a lot to learn. Washington could help on STs and he's tough, but undersized.

McCaferty has sick hands. Malik is a one of JD's obsessions. And Javon is like a Mini Odunze.  I'd be thrilled with 2 of these guys. 

5 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Who were the Jets drafting at #11 that would be a day 1 starter?

Are you telling me picking at 11 there were no starters available and the Jets had to draft depth? Did every team behind the Jets also draft depth? As much as I thought Bowers would have been a luxury pick, he would have started over Conklin even if he played on the outside. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JKlecko said:

The chances of AVT being healthy and ready to start the season are not very good.  Fashanu could start at RG to begin the season and back up Smith/Moses as the swing OT.

Great. Let's  draft a tackle and start him at G. Why are you saying AVT won't  start the season. It's  freaking April. The season is almost half a year away. 

8 hours ago, OMA said:

If you put a well run scouting and talent evaluation team like Baltimore, Pitt, GB in our position they all take the cornerstone tackle over a tight end.

Bad teams like the Raiders just take a tight end after having a solid young tight end in Mayer.

I think JD did very well yesterday.  Very happy with the pick.  And I agree about taking the cornerstone OT.

As far as the Raiders, though, I think you're oversimplifying things.  They're kind of building a new model (the same way BB did with Gronk/Aaron Hernandez).  Mayer and Bowers?!  Wow!  Plus they still have Devante.  That is going to be one interesting team to watch next year.  I thought Antonio Pierce did a real good job last year as well, btw.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Are you telling me picking at 11 there were no starters available and the Jets had to draft depth? Did every team behind the Jets also draft depth? As much as I thought Bowers would have been a luxury pick, he would have started over Conklin even if he played on the outside. 

Exactly...with this team on a 1-2 year window, drafting a guy you are hoping doesn't play was disappointing to me.

I get the concept, but drafting for perceived injuries is odd, considering everyone can get hurt at any time, even guys without history of it.  

Still off season left, still draft left, but as much as I like the roster on paper, outside of Garrett Wilson, you're hoping Mike Williams comes back from a big injury and lazard has a bounce back year with rodgers.  This team still needs a weapon and they picked a guy who, if everything goes right, stands on the sideline this year while your clock is ticking with rodgers.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I heard Saleh in the draft room when they called Fashanu tell him that they had him in their crosshairs the whole time.  Fashanu is who they wanted and planned to draft.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they were targeting OT or even Fashanu, specifically, but this is what they all say. We don’t know if they would’ve taken Odunze there because he was gone. We do know that he was willing to take him over Bowers, which was the smart move. Squeezing Minnesota beforehand was a nice touch. I thought he might move down again. 

Don’t know what their plan will be but, with Smith not practicing much anymore, he should be able to get a ton of practice reps at LT all season (if he hasn’t won a starting job elsewhere first). I’m not a fan of drafting insurance, but the team has been sunk by OL injuries (along with terrible QB play, obviously) for a few years now. I’m happy to have him in the fold now, and he should be the starting LT as soon as next season. 

• Upvote 4

Potentially a terrific player but the success of any o-line is all about continuity, if we have guys rotating in and out all the time like we have done the past few years we’ll still struggle….our starting 5 needs to stay healthy and stay together, you can maybe survive a guy missing a couple of games here or there but the revolving doors and multiple different line ups across all positions needs to end.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

You didn't answer the question.  And nope, Bowers was not going to start over Conklin, at least to start the season.  Is that all you got?

Again, who are the Jets drafting at #11 to start from day 1?  Your statement was that JD gave the middle finger to fans who were expecting a day 1 starter in round 1.

Kind of funny that this is coming from someone who started a topic a few hours before the draft about being disinterested in this year's draft because the Jets were not going to draft a quarterback like they should.  This quarterback would have had zero chance to start from day 1 barring injury to Rodgers.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

You didn't answer the question.  And nope, Bowers was not going to start over Conklin, at least to start the season.  Is that all you got?

Again, who are the Jets drafting at #11 to start from day 1?  Your statement was that JD gave the middle finger to fans who were expecting a day 1 starter in round 1.

Kind of funny that this is coming from someone who started a topic a few hours before the draft about being disinterested in this year's draft because the Jets were not going to draft a quarterback like they should.  This quarterback would have had zero chance to start from day 1 barring injury to Rodgers.

If we could go back to the Sam Darnold draft or the Zach Wilson draft and have either or both of the QBs sit for a season, would that not have been the right move. Drafting an OL at 11 who will not start game 1 barring an injury to either Smith or Moses is not going to impact the season. 

As far as who they could have started, Bowers definitely starts over Conklin. Bowers has Kelce potential as a receiving TE. You don't  keep that on the bench.  What I would have liked was for the Jets to trade back further and taken one of the Wr's taken at the back half of the first round. Then we can have Lazzard backup and start one of those guys. There was some blinding speed back there. 

13 hours ago, chirorob said:

Ty Smith hasn't played 12 games since 1823.   Both tackles are on one year deals.

He will play some this year, and start the next.

Well considering he's been playing since before the Civil War I'd say he's held up mighty fine.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t think the Fashanu pick is like the WMcD pick where WMcD was EDGE 5 and the other guys are sort of healthy.  

The Jets will lose their season if they don’t have plan B for OT.  Fashanu is OT3.  I am pretty certain that Fashanu will play more snaps this year than WMcD played last year.  

Fashanu is a starting OT in 2025.  WMcD is now EDGE 4/5.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don’t think the Fashanu pick is like the WMcD pick where WMcD was EDGE 5 and the other guys are sort of healthy.  

The Jets will lose their season if they don’t have plan B for OT.  Fashanu is OT3.  I am pretty certain that Fashanu will play more snaps this year than WMcD played last year.  

Man I would trade McDuck RIGHT NOW to move into round 2 and take Corley.  

• Upvote 2

The defense is pretty well set as far as starters go and if, big if, the offense stays healthy they have a solid starting group. Choosing a top quality LT gives the team protection at the most important OL position as well as securing the position for the next 10 plus seasons. If you get an opportunity to draft a high end LT you takes it. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Too bad we hired the worst architect in the league to build it.

How can anyone say that?  He picked becton in his first draft. And then followed up with AVT and tipp.  Sure becton didn’t work out but that’s more of an attitude problem than outright talent.  Some of the free gents haven’t worked out but he did bring in some decent ones in Schweitzer and herbig.  And this season he’s going after high level players in smith, Moses, and Simpson.  Douglas has been bringing in enough talent.  The issue has been injuries and a coach who knows little about offense.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, varjet said:

McDonald takes over Huff’s role this season. Huff jumped from 18-25% of the snaps the previous two years to 41% last year as JJ’s primary backup, and as the pin your ears back guy on obvious passing downs. Playing just 16% of the snaps last year, he had 3 sacks, 4 tfls, and 5 QB hits. He had a number of guys ahead of him last year, this year he’ll be a primary piece of the rotation. 

The main difference is in the usage of offensive and defensive linemen. Fashanu either needs to win a job or he won’t see the field short of injury. And that would be okay. Both are premium positions. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, slats said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if they were targeting OT or even Fashanu, specifically, but this is what they all say. We don’t know if they would’ve taken Odunze there because he was gone. We do know that he was willing to take him over Bowers, which was the smart move. Squeezing Minnesota beforehand was a nice touch. I thought he might move down again. 

Don’t know what their plan will be but, with Smith not practicing much anymore, he should be able to get a ton of practice reps at LT all season (if he hasn’t won a starting job elsewhere first). I’m not a fan of drafting insurance, but the team has been sunk by OL injuries (along with terrible QB play, obviously) for a few years now. I’m happy to have him in the fold now, and he should be the starting LT as soon as next season. 

At the draft presser Douglas pretty much said he was going to draft a top wr or tackle.  The targeted wrs, odunze, Harrison, and nabers, were all taken before the tenth pick.  Only alt and Latham were oline taken before ten.  So Douglas went for the second best left tackle.    I think it’s a good move.  The best thing about the presser is saleh just sat there stone faced.  It looked like he wasn’t that thrilled that they picked oline since the top defensive players were still on the board.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

At the draft presser Douglas pretty much said he was going to draft a top wr or tackle.  The targeted wrs, odunze, Harrison, and nabers, were all taken before the tenth pick.  Only alt and Latham were oline taken before ten.  So Douglas went for the second best left tackle.    I think it’s a good move.  The best thing about the presser is saleh just sat there stone faced.  It looked like he wasn’t that thrilled that they picked oline since the top defensive players were still on the board.

The best thing about the presser is saleh just sat there stone faced.  It looked like he wasn’t that thrilled that they picked oline since the top defensive players were still on the board.

I had the exact same impression.  Saleh was stone faced and kind of fidgety while JD seemed excited at who he drafted.  I have a pet theory on this that JD realizes that if his job is at risk that he's going to do things his way, not Saleh's way and not AR8's way.  (I think AR8 said something about OL not being our most pressing need but that JD really likes Olu).  If this is true, I like it!  I get that JD had to cater to AR8 last year to woo him over.  But pretty much all of those moves ended up being somewhere between bad to horrible.  

JD has had an excellent offseason so far.  Today is going to be another huge day though because we need another WR badly.  I want to see what JD has up his sleeve.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

If we could go back to the Sam Darnold draft or the Zach Wilson draft and have either or both of the QBs sit for a season, would that not have been the right move. Drafting an OL at 11 who will not start game 1 barring an injury to either Smith or Moses is not going to impact the season. 

As far as who they could have started, Bowers definitely starts over Conklin. Bowers has Kelce potential as a receiving TE. You don't  keep that on the bench.  What I would have liked was for the Jets to trade back further and taken one of the Wr's taken at the back half of the first round. Then we can have Lazzard backup and start one of those guys. There was some blinding speed back there. 

I'm having a tough time following your logic.  So it's perfectly fine and preferable for a quarterback to sit and learn, but detrimental in some way for an OL to do the same?  Bottom line, the 2025 OT situation looked fairly dire prior to yesterday, and now the Jets have their future LT on the roster.  Not really something to complain about in my opinion.  You simply need to have the foresight of that clear and dire roster need in 2025 and beyond.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree about Bowers starting over Conklin from day 1.  Both of them would have had a role for sure, but I still think Conklin would get the starting nod at least early on in the season.  There is no way for you or I to prove either of our positions, but I think precedent is on my side.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

How can anyone say that?  He picked becton in his first draft. And then followed up with AVT and tipp.  Sure becton didn’t work out but that’s more of an attitude problem than outright talent.  Some of the free gents haven’t worked out but he did bring in some decent ones in Schweitzer and herbig.  And this season he’s going after high level players in smith, Moses, and Simpson.  Douglas has been bringing in enough talent.  The issue has been injuries and a coach who knows little about offense.

We have poured about as many resources as any team in the league since he's been here and had a bottom 10 line every year.

Results are what matters. This line is once again relying on injury prone players. I don't need to be a psychic to see how this will go.

I'm having a tough time following your logic.  So it's perfectly fine and preferable for a quarterback to sit and learn, but detrimental in some way for an OL to do the same?  Bottom line, the 2025 OT situation looked fairly dire prior to yesterday, and now the Jets have their future LT on the roster.  Not really something to complain about in my opinion.  You simply need to have the foresight of that clear and dire roster need in 2025 and beyond.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree about Bowers starting over Conklin from day 1.  Both of them would have had a role for sure, but I still think Conklin would get the starting nod at least early on in the season.  There is no way for you or I to prove either of our positions, but I think precedent is on my side.
In my view, Conklin would still be the guy to start, unless Bowers outclasses him as a blocker from Day 1. This team will still be run through Breece Hall first and foremost.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Say that to his face. Go ahead.

We are actually about the same size, so, ok. Not everyone who comments is a fleshy basement dweller. Sorry to disappoint you. You were never critical of a Jets draft pick? Guy is a terrible run blocker. Our top down coaching is among the worst in the league, so don't expect much improvement. Anyway, we'll see.

14 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I heard Saleh in the draft room when they called Fashanu tell him that they had him in their crosshairs the whole time.  Fashanu is who they wanted and planned to draft.

What was he supposed to tell him? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Really, Jets said:

We are actually about the same size, so, ok. Not everyone who comments is a fleshy basement dweller. Sorry to disappoint you. You were never critical of a Jets draft pick? Guy is a terrible run blocker. Our top down coaching is among the worst in the league, so don't expect much improvement. Anyway, we'll see.

Baldy was impressed. Good enough for me.  JD has his pick of teh litter besides Alt. Fuaga, Mims, Fantanua. I dont think Latham was ever an option after dealing with Bectons weight issue. Fashanua is a lean mean 6'6  315. He is also pretty young and raw interms of playing football and has mades tremendous strides since his freshman year.  He's only going to get better and didnt give up a sack. Thats pretty ipressive. Obviosuly, JD wanted a LT and a pass protector first and foremost. Very similar comparison to D'Brick who was very very good here for numerous years. As Connor Hughes said, criticizing this pick is beyond ridiculous. 

• Upvote 2

I love the idea of "building a wall", i.e. having a great, dominant O-line.  Been saying it myself for years.

Clearly, with the FA signings JD made, there was (is) substantial, material risk that 1-2 of them will get hurt and miss substantial time.  

So OT was a clear and unquestionable need.  And the guy we got is a top prospect.  Lets all hope he's a better top prospect than Becton was.  A bit sad that JD had to use a #1 on a 2024 backup because his FA's and prev. draft picks were so fragile (or busts).  But thats the price of his previous and repeated failures with the Oline.

Acknowledging that we have several picks tonight, my ongoing fear remains offensive weapons. 

Wilson and Hall are studs IMO.  Feed um'

But Williams IMO is another massive injury risk.  I don't see him playing 17 in 204.  I'd wager he might not even play half that tbh.

Everything else, IMO, is sub-par trash at worst or unproven JAG's at best.

Many are rationalizing that lazy-quit-on-his-team bum Lazard will have a big rebound with Rodgers back.....guess we'll see.  

Others think Gipson is an untapped weapon, the usual love of JAG UDFA wideouts around here.

Conklin is a JAG, and Ruckert (much as I like him) is entirely unproven.

If we're truly all-in, and truly want to win a title in 2024 before Rodgers turns into a pumpkin, we need another legit weapon.  

I hope we can find one tonight. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

We have poured about as many resources as any team in the league since he's been here and had a bottom 10 line every year.

Results are what matters. This line is once again relying on injury prone players. I don't need to be a psychic to see how this will go.

Okay but you can’t blame the results on not bringing in enough talent.  The oline has gone south the past two seasons because of injuries.  If saleh was competent he’d know how to adjust.

8 hours ago, slats said:

I have a suspicion it was Olu even over Rome.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I have a suspicion it was Olu even over Rome.

Doubt it. Douglas was trying to trade up. He didn't do that just to trade down when he was on the clock when the guy he wanted all along was sitting there. He's been trying to get another WR all off-season.