Jets Draft Olu Fashanu: How he fits ...

13 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Love the pick and he’s massively underrated since January where he was originally 1B to Alt’s 1A.

He was likely getting drafted before Paris Johnson last year as well.  He fell in rankings because he wasn't sexy.

• Upvote 2

After the first two months of scouting offensive line prospects during the 2022 college football season, I had a preliminary list of my top players. My number one tacklewas Penn State LT Olu Fashanu, a then 19-year-old (he turned 20 in December) redshirt sophomore with a special blend of play strength, recovery balance and length. Fashanu would have been my top-ranked tackle in last year’s draft class had he declared, but he wound up returning to Happy Valley to get his degree, start his master’s and add some more refinement to his game.

Fast forward to this summer and Fashanu is prepping for his redshirt junior season. After months of us chatting about football, he joined the show for an in-depth breakdown of his 2022 season. We covered four games (Auburn, Michigan, Minnesota and Ohio State) against several drafted pass-rushers, including Seahawks Derrick Hall, Seahawks Mike Morris and Falcons Zach Harrison.

Topics covered:

The ultra-competitive Penn State culture full of NFL talent

Film study habit and identifying opponent tendencies

Breaking down Fashanu’s special ability to recover and get out of compromising positions

The importance of get-off and initial explosiveness

techniques and approaches in pass-protection

Areas of improvement Olu is focused on this off-season

Underrated opponents

Importance of defensive alignment

Pre-snap processing translating into an increase in play speed

Balancing patience with aggressiveness with striking in pass-protection

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

Like the pick wish they could have got someone else further back to trade up think this guy still be on the board at 14 or 15 he is not a day 1 starter. If they start him day 1 this guy could end up like becton

The Saints probably would have taken him.  When you like/want a player, you don't get cute or greedy.  They already got to trade down 1 spot and add a 4th and 5th.  Take the player and don't look back.  Fashanu won't have to start day one unless Smith gets injured in TC.  He will learn a lot for asking Smith and Moses questions and watching them play.  Hopefully Carter will pull his head out of his ass and do a good job coaching him up.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Also can step inside at G as insurance for AVT. Jets stated they would rule out him playing inside if needed. Good to have versatility like that with him that he can play and initially backup at all line positions except for Center.

With AVT coming of an Achilles tear, not set in stone he's ready for the start of season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I assume you’re all as excited about this pick as the 2 pages in here for our 1st rounder.

What backups can we draft next.

When was the last time Tyron Smith played a full season? How long is his contract again?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The great @dpbrugler in this year's "The Beast" on Olu Fashanu:

"As a pass blocker, Fashanu moves with athletic body control and is technically diverse with his ambidextrous hands to mix up his timing and sit down versus pass rushers (finished his career with zero sacks allowed on 733 pass-blocking snaps over 29 games)."

I would have loved to see Odunze fall to us.  Not 100% sure JD would have taken him but I think so.

Anyway, now that the dust has settled, I look at it this way.

Odunze would give us insurance against a Williams reinjury and also provide some good offensive weaponry at the same time although he would probably only have played in half the snaps unless he was better than advertised.

Fashanu gives us insurance against Tyron Smith and possibly Morgan Moses getting injured.  Sadly, I consider the odds of one of the tackles needing to be replaced a lot higher than MW.  So from that perspective, this is a positive for 2024 and beyond.

And that's assuming Fashanu doesn't outright outplay one of them by mid-season which is certainly something to hope for.

Then there's the next pick.  There is some very solid WR talent in rounds 2-3.  We will get a guy.  He will be a better WR than anyone we could possibly draft will be at OT.  

But Odunze wasn't there.  So then there's the 'trade-up' consideration.

We get Fashanu, and and extra 4th and 5th rounder, minus a sixth rounder.

If we traded up to 8 (if it was even possible, which I suspect it was not) it would have likely cost us our 3rd rounder this year and at least a 3rd rounder in 2025.

So the choice might have been:  Odunze + 2024 6th rounder vs. Fashnu + 2024 3rd, 4th, 5th rounders +2025 3rd rounder.

When I look at it like that, Fashanu looks pretty good.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

When was the last time Tyron Smith played a full season? How long is his contract again?

Is Fashanu a backup? Answer that. He is. So we drafted back to back backup players to 15.

The answer last year was Mac was sitting a year and we had all these FAs opening so he’s start. And yet here he is the same on the depth chart.

Now we draft a backup OT. That when healthy will play next to never. We have to “hope Smith gets injured” to see if he was worth it. We have to hope a top 3 OT in the league isn’t healthy to show this pick was good. 

3 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Hats off to JD. Seriously. A guy with his job on the line who does the right thing by the franchise and sets us up for a decade of success a la D’Brick Ferguson.

LT is the 2nd most important position on offense. 

Securing that spot on a rookie contract will allow us to resign sauce and Garrett and more.

if we’re dumb enough to let Joe Douglas walk after this year, this longterm thinking move will entice other nfl teams.

He basically said he would’ve taken a WR but it wasn’t possible, those teams weren’t trading back.  He made the boring smart move.  

And he even got extra picks to move into late 2nd round.  Great pick.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

I would have loved to see Odunze fall to us.  Not 100% sure JD would have taken him but I think so.

Anyway, now that the dust has settled, I look at it this way.

Odunze would give us insurance against a Williams reinjury and also provide some good offensive weaponry at the same time although he would probably only have played in half the snaps unless he was better than advertised.

Fashanu gives us insurance against Tyron Smith and possibly Morgan Moses getting injured.  Sadly, I consider the odds of one of the tackles needing to be replaced a lot higher than MW.  So from that perspective, this is a positive for 2024 and beyond.

And that's assuming Fashanu doesn't outright outplay one of them by mid-season which is certainly something to hope for.

Then there's the next pick.  There is some very solid WR talent in rounds 2-3.  We will get a guy.  He will be a better WR than anyone we could possibly draft will be at OT.  

But Odunze wasn't there.  So then there's the 'trade-up' consideration.

We get Fashanu, and and extra 4th and 5th rounder, minus a sixth rounder.

If we traded up to 8 (if it was even possible, which I suspect it was not) it would have likely cost us our 3rd rounder this year and at least a 3rd rounder in 2025.

So the choice might have been:  Odunze + 2024 6th rounder vs. Fashnu + 2024 3rd, 4th, 5th rounders +2025 3rd rounder.

When I look at it like that, Fashanu looks pretty good.

I think we have to see what wr we get tomorrow and then evaluate the combo.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Hats off to JD. Seriously. A guy with his job on the line who does the right thing by the franchise and sets us up for a decade of success a la D’Brick Ferguson.

LT is the 2nd most important position on offense. 

Securing that spot on a rookie contract will allow us to resign sauce and Garrett and more.

if we’re dumb enough to let Joe Douglas walk after this year, this longterm thinking move will entice other nfl teams.

He basically said he would’ve taken a WR but it wasn’t possible, those teams weren’t trading back.  He made the boring smart move.  

I think him and Saleh feel if everyone is healthy there's no shot they don't make the playoffs, therefore their jobs are safe and they can draft for both short and long term.  

If we have a young QB next year or the year after then he'll already have his LT in place.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think we have to see what wr we get tomorrow and then evaluate the combo.  

Of course we do.  But that's not a popular take here when you can bash the pick right now.  

What I'm trying to say is that we can realistically debate WHICH OT we might have taken (Fashanu vs. Fuaga vs. Fautanu) but that's really the only realistic thing to debate.  There was no other possible choice to make at 11.  Way to early for BTJ (who went at #23).  And the cost of trading up, without even knowing if ATL would trade at all, compared to what we got to moving back a slot, probably gives OT/WR a pretty big edge over WR/OT.

It's really sad to see the amount of negativity over the pick when there really was no better option on the table.  Moving down and picking up a few extra chips was even a nice bonus.  Honestly, JD did about as good as you could ask given the hand he held once Odunze was off the board.  

• Upvote 1

Zack Rosenblatt ⁦‪@ZackBlatt‬⁩

Olu Fashanu said he took a lot of practice reps at RT and when he worked out with ⁦‪@BigDuke50‬⁩ this summer he was primarily working at RT too. Said he can play both sides. #Jets

4/25/24, 9:52 PM

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Of course we do.  But that's not a popular take here when you can bash the pick right now.  

What I'm trying to say is that we can realistically debate WHICH OT we might have taken (Fashanu vs. Fuaga vs. Fautanu) but that's really the only realistic thing to debate.  There was no other possible choice to make at 11.  Way to early for BTJ (who went at #23).  And the cost of trading up, without even knowing if ATL would trade at all, compared to what we got to moving back a slot, probably gives OT/WR a pretty big edge over WR/OT.

It's really sad to see the amount of negativity over the pick when there really was no better option on the table.  Moving down and picking up a few extra chips was even a nice bonus.  Honestly, JD did about as good as you could ask given the hand he held once Odunze was off the board.  

Some just want the sexy pick ie WR…OTs aren’t that. 

Then again those then complain when QBs doesn’t have time to throw to said WR or there are no holes for Hall to run through. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Is Fashanu a backup? Answer that. He is. So we drafted back to back backup players to 15.

The answer last year was Mac was sitting a year and we had all these FAs opening so he’s start. And yet here he is the same on the depth chart.

Now we draft a backup OT. That when healthy will play next to never. We have to “hope Smith gets injured” to see if he was worth it. We have to hope a top 3 OT in the league isn’t healthy to show this pick was good. 

What was your solution to a starting LT in 2025 and beyond? I'll hang up and listen.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1