Jets Draft Olu Fashanu: How he fits ...

19 minutes ago, C Mart said:

One thing about the pick - I did not see any report that the Jets brought Fashanu in for a top 30 visit. From what I've read about him - there are no character concerns with him. He was team captain. Great attitude and hard worker.  A pretty clean prospect

And all we heard for the past 3 months was how Douglas loved Fuaga. 75% of mocks had the Jets taking Bowers or Fuaga.

Once again - the media do not know a thing when it comes to the Jets dealings. Nobody speculated Simpson to the Jets, the Moses trade, Kinlaw or Fotu to the Jets.  

Bill Belicheck said the same thing, most of the media are fed information from agents. The Jets liked Fuaga, but Olu is a LT, and could be a stalwart LT for years to come.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Ok so not the first smart thing only if the other smart thing didn’t happen. So really not THE smart thing but A smart thing. 

This is going to turn into another Brock Bowers discussion. I’m tapping out.

How could it be a Brock Bowers discussion if you exit?  That's been your one-note song for a while now. 

22 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think I would have smashed my face through the TV if we picked Fuaga over Fashanu 

Really? To me they seem to be equivalent players. One plays the left side and other plays on the right. Would have been happy with either guy. 

12 hours ago, C Mart said:

Zack Rosenblatt ⁦‪@ZackBlatt‬⁩

Olu Fashanu said he took a lot of practice reps at RT and when he worked out with ⁦‪@BigDuke50‬⁩ this summer he was primarily working at RT too. Said he can play both sides. #Jets

4/25/24, 9:52 PM

Duke Manyweather @BigDuke50

We train Right and Left side. Doesn’t matter who you are or what point of your football journey you are in

24 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Really? To me they seem to be equivalent players. One plays the left side and other plays on the right. Would have been happy with either guy. 

I see an all-pro guard who has the ability to spot in at RT when needed. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it's not what we need and it's what we already have.

In short, I see AVT....we have AVT and injuries be damned I believe those are fluke injuries and he will have a long and stellar career here.

24 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I see an all-pro guard who has the ability to spot in at RT when needed. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it's not what we need and it's what we already have.

In short, I see AVT....we have AVT and injuries be damned I believe those are fluke injuries and he will have a long and stellar career here.

"Olu is a mauler," Rodgers said. "He had an incredible career at Penn State. He's not going to jump into tackle right away. We'll see if we can work him in at guard.

BTW, this idea is idiotic and somewhat scary.

Whether it's Douglas, Saleh's or whoever's, but...

He's a LT.  Just let him focus on being the best LT he can be.  Jets, please don't be stupid with this player.

I mean if you're running a philharmonic and just added a young, talented concert cellist, do you start training him on the viola right away just because your viola section is weaker?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

BTW, this idea is idiotic and somewhat scary.

Whether it's Douglas, Saleh's or whoever's, but...

He's a LT.  Just let him focus on being the best LT he can be.  Jets, please don't be stupid with this player.

I mean if you're running a philharmonic and just added a young, talented concert cellist, do you start training him on the viola right away just because your viola section is weaker?

Yeah this is dumb. If these idiots try to slot him in at Guard..

Via the Athletic:

(Penn State offensive line coach Phil Trautwein: “He’s just a competitor. Doesn’t like losing.”) … always trying to improve and models his game after New York Giants LT Andrew Thomas … named a 2023 captain, and his coaches rave about his personal and football character (Trautwein: “He’s a role model with his approach … he just wants to be great … if he has something to say, he says it and everybody listens.”) … named 2023 team MVP (with Chop Robinson).

16 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Via the Athletic:

(Penn State offensive line coach Phil Trautwein: “He’s just a competitor. Doesn’t like losing.”) … always trying to improve and models his game after New York Giants LT Andrew Thomas … named a 2023 captain, and his coaches rave about his personal and football character (Trautwein: “He’s a role model with his approach … he just wants to be great … if he has something to say, he says it and everybody listens.”) … named 2023 team MVP (with Chop Robinson).

Competitor.jpg.3393e80e4c89cfcde438100c11272fe0.jpg

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Via the Athletic:

As opposed to all the other players out there, who enjoy it?   :)

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Disagree... the Jets don't seem caught up in that to me. The only thing that was win-now future mortgaging was the Reddick trade and that's a 3rd round 2026 pick. Rodgers will be here for another 2 seasons. The Jets will begin their pursuit of a QB next year and the plan will be to drop them into a position where they can be successful after Rodgers retires - not that the entire team begins and ends with Rodgers' tenure. From the day he got here, that became the prevailing thought and it never made any sense to me.

They will win now with Rodgers and also (hopefully) be set up at a cornerstone position for the future. The intelligent move. It would have been fun, but Bowers was never ever going to be the pick.

Also, I would argue that in the win-now mentality, being prepared for Smith's 4-6 missed games is way more impactful than anything a rookie TE could provide next year

This team just failed at developing their highly drafted #2 pick at qb. When have the Jets showed they can develop anybody at qb? The last thing this coaching staff and FO should be thinking about is the future after Rodgers.  I hate this move the more I think about it, if it was true they were fielding calls and were stuck on drafting a tackle, they should have traded down again and drafted Fatanu. If you think Smith is injury prone, then so is AVT who has been hurt every year he's been in the league. Fantanu would have been insurance for both guard and tackle.

I was not and am still not a fan of OT at 10. But with the way the draft fell it sort of forced JDs hand and if we are going to pick OT Olu would be my choice. Young LT that is elite in pass pro, but has upside and growth potential and will improve at run blocking. Definitely the right choice for the Jets though I would have kept trading down if there were offers.

• Upvote 1

Olu presser was great, I'm still pissed that we went tackle at 10, but the guy looks solid, no bullsh*t, no gigantic "BIG TICKET" gold chain with diamonds, classic suit. Not sure Keith Carter is the best man to develop him but Tyron Smith will be there to help, we can only hope to not have to draft another 1st rounder OL in some time.

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

You proved my point for me. Thank you. 2 1st round OLineman. None can stay healthy. 

Soooo, you draft two olinemen in the first round and because they are hit with injuries you should never draft olinemen in the first round? Based on a sample size of TWO players? Thats your big theory? That's the point I proved for you? Should the Jets never draft a 2nd rounder because they almost never hit on a 2nd rounders? Should they just trade out every time?

This is possibly the silliest thing I have heard on this forum.   

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Olu presser was great, I'm still pissed that we went tackle at 10, but the guy looks solid, no bullsh*t, no gigantic "BIG TICKET" gold chain with diamonds, classic suit. Not sure Keith Carter is the best man to develop him but Tyron Smith will be there to help, we can only hope to not have to draft another 1st rounder OL in some time.

I too noticed the classic suit no BS look. Jokes aside, it looks like Olu was raised right. So that’s good. 

5 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

The injuries might help us extend him at a reasonable rate.  

It would be cool to extend below market rate and then he stayed healthy. 

• Upvote 1