Jets Draft Olu Fashanu: How he fits ...

Brock Bowers wasnt even on our board.  It was hysterical hearing Jet fans think that we were going to draft a tight end which is one of the deepest position on or roster.

Joe D nailed this pick out of the park!

Now we get to see him trade back into the 2nd round tomorrow and take a total stud wr.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

What was your solution to a starting LT in 2025 and beyond? I'll hang up and wait.

We’d still be a win now team sign another vet LT, Warren would have another year to groom. Draft Rosengarten round 3 to develop. Resign Smith potentially. There’s just 4 solutions.

Loaten I stated from the start that I wouldn’t dislike if we went OT. And I don’t dislike it. I just would have much rathered Bowers or BTJ there. Now if we somehow make a splash in some way at WR… I’ll like this pick. But if we think Lazard and Gipson are answers at 3 and 4 and even potentially 2 and 3 depending on MW health. We’re screwed. AR is good. But he can’t make Gipson look like 24 year old Cobb

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Brock Bowers wasnt even on our board.  It was hysterical hearing Jet fans think that we were going to draft a tight end which is one of the deepest position on or roster.

Now we get to see him trade back into the 2nd round tomorrow and take a total stud wr.

Or we don’t even draft a WR bc he still believes that Lazard is the 12mill guy he signed and Gipson is the guy so good he could trade Hardman and Moore.

I know our 1/st round OL history with ajD and it ain’t good.

• Thumb Down 2

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Likely not. Lot of smoke to get Rome. Didn’t work but this is a stellar plan B. Better than last years. LOL

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We’d still be a win now team sign another vet LT, Warren would have another year to groom. Draft Rosengarten round 3 to develop. Resign Smith potentially. There’s just 4 solutions.

Loaten I stated from the start that I wouldn’t dislike if we went OT. And I don’t dislike it. I just would have much rathered Bowers or BTJ there. Now if we somehow make a splash in some way at WR… I’ll like this pick. But if we think Lazard and Gipson are answers at 3 and 4 and even potentially 2 and 3 depending on MW health. We’re screwed. AR is good. But he can’t make Gipson look like 24 year old Cobb

I think having a blue chip LT on a 5 year rookie contract is very valuable. And hoping for a year to year FA stop gap or mid round project is not a great strategy of filling LT long term. There is a reason why you see 5+ OTs taken in the first round every year.

For the record, I like BJT and have stated I would be OK with taking him at #10 even though it would be a reach. I wanted no part of Bowers in the first half of the first round.

The draft isn't over yet. Let's see what the Jets do to fill the long term WR2 spot. From everything I have read this draft is deep at WR.

• Upvote 2

Just now, DoubleDown said:

I think having a blue chip LT on a 5 year rookie contract is very valuable. And hoping for a year to year FA stop gap or mid round project is not a great strategy of filling LT long term. There is a reason why you see 5+ OTs taken in the first round every year.

For the record, I like BJT and have stated I would be OK with taking him at #10 even though it would be a reach. I wanted no part of Bowers in the first half of the first round.

The draft isn't over yet. Let's see what the Jets do to fill the long term WR2 spot. From everything I have read this draft is deep at WR.

That answer is X. Remember we traded Moore and Hardman bc of how good he is.

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

I hope that he will become a better run blocker than Brick, but even if not, if he can stay as healthy as Brick did, that would be awesome!

Dbrick and mangold in the same yr was awesome. Was great having 2 strong starters on the OL for a decade. 10 years of not having to worry about drafting those two positions. Hopefully fashanu can replicate.
   I don’t quite understand why so many fans not liking this pick. Our OL has been ranked at the very bottom for years. Smith and Moses age, average talent and injury histories sure doesn’t  catapult the OL closer the top. There also was zero quality depth on the bench. Last time the jets were any good we had a strong OL. For once in many years is not looking like the same liability it has been for so long..

• Upvote 1

we got a lot better for a lot longer time with this pick

trenches have been overhauled

dedicated most team resources on OL, no other unit has had this kind of investment for years FA and draft (#14 AVT, #11 Fashanu, #43 Tippman, and #120 Warren) -- maybe front 7 on D.

depth and upside certain 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I remember the absolute horror of watching the Jets draft TWO OL in the 1st round one time.  It was awful! :D

Luckily Rex Ryan or Robert Saleh were not the HCs that yr. Or most definitely Mike T or Joe D would be leaving the draft room with black eyes and missing teeth 🤣

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Who is ready to trade up into the 2nd round and get a stud tight end?

I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or stay put and draft S. Which is more likely. More backups please 

• Thumb Down 1

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Is Fashanu a backup? Answer that. He is. So we drafted back to back backup players to 15.

The answer last year was Mac was sitting a year and we had all these FAs opening so he’s start. And yet here he is the same on the depth chart.

Now we draft a backup OT. That when healthy will play next to never. We have to “hope Smith gets injured” to see if he was worth it. We have to hope a top 3 OT in the league isn’t healthy to show this pick was good. 

Tyron Smith will miss games, no one needs to “hope” for that, it’s been 8 years running. Olu will get 3+ starts by this trend. They gambled at OT last year and it was an issue they couldn’t solve. He’ll be the swing tackle and he may even compete at RT.

Solves the massive LT issue they would be looking at in 2025 (along with QB potentially) so this is an extremely short sighted take. Brock Bowers wasn’t going to deliver a SB in 2024 and as far as future as future positional value is concerned  LT > TE by an extremely large margin. There wasn’t any other WR that would be a better pick there once Odunze went, so the OT they apparently love made sense.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Tyron Smith will miss games, no one needs to “hope” for that, it’s been 8 years running. Olu will get 3+ starts by this trend. They gambled at OT last year and it was an issue they couldn’t solve. He’ll be the swing tackle and he may even compete at RT.

Solves the massive LT issue they would be looking at in 2025 (along with QB potentially) so this is an extremely short sighted take. Brock Bowers wasn’t going to deliver a SB in 2024 and as far as future as future positional value is concerned  LT > TE by an extremely large margin. There wasn’t any other WR that would be a better pick there once Odunze went, so the OT they apparently love made sense.

Yes. and Fashanu also indicates Rodgers for longer term 

if protected -- he could play 4 years 

for real

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Love the pick and he’s massively underrated since January where he was originally 1B to Alt’s 1A.

Can someone explain this precipitous drop? For months it was the two of them in the same top LT tier and then seemingly once underwear season started Fashanu wasn’t valued as highly. What happened? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, PS17 said:

Can someone explain this precipitous drop? For months it was the two of them in the same top LT tier and then seemingly once underwear season started Fashanu wasn’t valued as highly. What happened? 

Tighty Whiteys.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Is Fashanu a backup? Answer that. He is. So we drafted back to back backup players to 15.

The answer last year was Mac was sitting a year and we had all these FAs opening so he’s start. And yet here he is the same on the depth chart.

Now we draft a backup OT. That when healthy will play next to never. We have to “hope Smith gets injured” to see if he was worth it. We have to hope a top 3 OT in the league isn’t healthy to show this pick was good. 

IMO you have the totally wrong perspective.  You don't draft players just for their rookie season.  The top teams who have solid veteran starters draft players of the caliber of Fashanu in the 1st round to replace veterans and keep a strong pipeline of players. Granted, those players aren't usually taken in the top 15, but then the best teams don't usually draft in the top 15.  A team can only draft players where they can.  Yes, normally one expects a top 15 player to start as a rookie, but in this scenario ensuring that we could protect Rodgers and have our starting LT going forward is more important.  We can still get a very good WR in the draft, and could possibly even sign one of the FA WRs who is still available.

Fashanu will most likely play a lot more this year than you think he will, and he could even possibly wind up starting at RT or even LT if Moses or Smith get injured in TC or preseason, and AVT may not be ready to start the season, so Fashanu could start at OG until AVT is healthy.  Then if he's legit, can be our starting LT for the next 15 years and we don't have to worry about the 2nd most important position in football over that span.  This was absolutely the right move to make.  This idea that the 1st round pick HAS to start day one of his rookie season is nuts.

If they had taken Bowers or Thomas at #11, they wouldn't have been able to get an OT worth a damn in the 3rd round, and they don't have the cap space to sign Bakhtiari, and counting on him to stay healthy when Smith goes down is not realistic.  JD did the smart thing.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Vader said:

Yes. and Fashanu also indicates Rodgers for longer term 

if protected -- he could play 4 years 

for real

Which makes Rodgers comments about it not being a need pretty ironic given what went down last year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PS17 said:

1. He got his ass kicked by that Pita dude on Ohio State. 

2. The big knock on him is that he is a great pass blocker but a bad run blocker. PFF guys like him because pass pro over everything, but the gap between his pass and run block grades is pretty stark

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pretty sure the Jets would have preferred Odunze over Fashanu regardless. 

Connor Hughes claims on sny show that the jets called the giants and bears for Rome but were told to pound sand 

• Upvote 2

On 4/26/2024 at 12:09 AM, PS17 said:

I don't think it is so much that Fashanu dropped, but Latham rose in the rankings.  Latham is a much better fit for Tennessee than Fashanu.  They want a powerful OL that can create a great rushing attack.  Fashanu is a much better pass protector than run blocker.  The other teams ahead of the Jets needed a WR or wanted a QB.  I believe that the Saints would have taken Fashanu at #14 if the Jets didn't take him.

• Upvote 1

It’s neat learning that Fashanu has been “practicing RT” and says he can play on the right, but do we want that? He’s a LT.  
He’s built like a LT.  Let’s keep him at LT

We saw what happened shuffling AVT and Becton around, let’s not make that mistake again.

I say we get a developmental RT to back up Moses, and let them develop their designated side’s muscle memory.

46 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Dbrick and mangold in the same yr was awesome. Was great having 2 strong starters on the OL for a decade. 10 years of not having to worry about drafting those two positions. Hopefully fashanu can replicate.
   I don’t quite understand why so many fans not liking this pick. Our OL has been ranked at the very bottom for years. Smith and Moses age, average talent and injury histories sure doesn’t  catapult the OL closer the top. There also was zero quality depth on the bench. Last time the jets were any good we had a strong OL. For once in many years is not looking like the same liability it has been for so long..

I agree, but the Jets do need aditional receivers for Rodgers as well, and an OT is not as sexy or flashy as a "weapon."  Many who wanted the "weapon" were obviously counting on luck or a miracle happening and Smith not missing more than 1-2 games, and were willing to take the risk.  IMO that is not realistic, and not a smart way to build a team.  One certainly would think that after all the abysmal OL play Jets fans have seen over the last 5 years or so, and all the complaining they have done about how JD has failed to fix the OL, that they would have wanted an OT in the 1st round, but some clearly did not.  I can understand their desire for a flashy weapon as they're fun and exciting, but the reality is that if Rodgers goes down with an injury, it wouldn't matter if we had the top 5 WRs in the NFL, the season is over.  Also, many Jets fans are too quick to want to trade up or go "all in" and say to hell with the consequences.  That's short-sighted and not very wise thinking, but that's how a lot of people are.  They want the fun and excitement and enjoy the risk/danger aspect evidently, rather than taking a safer and less exciting pick.

IMO they also weren't realistic about what that receiver's contributions would be this year. If the Jets had taken Bowers or Odunze he would have been the 3rd option behind G. Wilson and M. Williams, and Breece and Conklin would have been getting their receptions too, so the impact of that rookie receiver wouldn't have been that great.  They also forget that it can take WRs and TE a year or two to develop.  They also weren't taking into accounting Hackett.   Hackett wouldn't have had a clue how to use Bowers.  Chances are that Fashanu will have a much bigger impact on this season than Odunze or Bowers.

• Upvote 2