Some Notable Mentions From OTA: Eric Watts

So if this young man makes the team, who will he be taking snaps from at the Edge/D-End position?

It's a zero-sum game, snaps for him means less snaps for someone else.  Who is the likely someone else playing less if we play Watts?

11 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

The Jets paid this guy a pretty sizable signing bonus for a UDFA ($245,000 in total guarantees) so, I have to assume that the coaching staff see's something in him, that apparently doesn't jump out on tape.

The fact that Watts seems to be raising some eyebrows at OTA's is a good sign.

Who's eyebrows?  Just asking

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

Since 2020 when JD took over, 5 of 8 1st rounders have gone towards the offense(Becton, Zach, AVT, Garrett, Olu).  4 out of 4 2nd rounders have gone towards the offense as well(Mims, Moore, Breece, Tippmann).  Make it 5 of 5 if you count Corley, the first pick in the 3rd and a guy they were trying to get in the 2nd.  I won't count the two 2nds(and a drop down of 2 spots in the 1st) that were used to bring in Rodgers, another offensive player.  We've invested the vast majority of our premium assets into the offense.

Agreed.  JD definitely shifted the previous meta in terms of use of draft assets on O vs. D.

And it has produced Offenses ranked 31/32, 32/32, 25/26, 29/25 and 29/31 during JD's tenure as GM.

We're all hoping that 2024 will finally be when this investment starts paying off with real, actual, offensive production.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So if this young man makes the team, who will he be taking snaps from at the Edge/D-End position?

It's a zero-sum game, snaps for him means less snaps for someone else.  Who is the likely someone else playing less if we play Watts?

John Franklin-Myers.

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2024 at 11:19 PM, Cyberjet said:

The guy who pops out on video is Bryan McGregor from Michigan. Seeming much quicker off the snap, good motor  and seems to locate the ball much more quickly. This guy Watts seems slow off the snap and really did nothing in that video 

Interesting...Watts 10 yard is a tick faster than McDonald's..Huff didn't have any test results.

McDonald

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1023862&DraftYear=2023

Watts

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1049495&DraftYear=2024

Huff

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1018248&DraftYear=2020

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agreed.  JD definitely shifted the previous meta in terms of use of draft assets on O vs. D.

And it has produced Offenses ranked 31/32, 32/32, 25/26, 29/25 and 29/31 during JD's tenure as GM.

We're all hoping that 2024 will finally be when this investment starts paying off with real, actual, offensive production.

lol this is great bud but that's not what we're talking about.  Saying the guys we've drafted suck is a little different than "we have completely ignored the offense".  But sure....great....

• Upvote 2

On 5/25/2024 at 8:43 AM, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Aren’t OTA’s supposed to be non-contact? Take who “beats” who in these reports with a grain of salt.

How do you have non contact practice with linemen?  Skill position guys I understand you just do two hand touch instead of tackle

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

I hear what you’re saying but  it’s numbers on a track not real football. If you review the tapes of McGregor from Michigan vs Watts - to me it’s pretty obvious that McGregor is quicker more fluid than Watts. They did give Watts a big UDFA signing bones - What do I know 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

Clemons is better. That Tennessee tape was awful. Wait until this guy goes against the Jets OL. Just don’t see it

He was at the senior bowl.  Ulbrich had plenty of time to look at him.  

People whining that he is going to be "taking snaps" like it means McDonald is a bust really need to relax.  The 2023 Jets had 627 snaps from Franklin-Myers, 469 snaps from Quinton Jefferson, 480 snaps from Bryce Huff, 140 from Al Woods, 101 snaps from Carl Lawson, 81 snaps from Jalyn Holmes, 37 from Bruce Hector, 13 from Perrion Winfrey and 63 from Tanzel Smart.  Yes, they added Reddick, Kinlaw and Fotu, but there will still be plenty of snaps to go around.  They had those extra snaps and were actually pretty healthy all season.  These fast big DE types are also generally special teamers which will take the place of the LBs that we are not carrying.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

lol this is great bud but that's not what we're talking about.  Saying the guys we've drafted suck is a little different than "we have completely ignored the offense".  But sure....great....

It may not be what you're talking about. 

As said, I agreed with you that JD changed the Jets investment split of draft assets between O and D.  Long overdue.

That investment simply has been entirely and utterly ineffective to-date.  

A GM doesn't get "credit" for drafting O if the O still plays like sh*t.

7 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

I hear what you’re saying but  it’s numbers on a track not real football. If you review the tapes of McGregor from Michigan vs Watts - to me it’s pretty obvious that McGregor is quicker more fluid than Watts. They did give Watts a big UDFA signing bones - What do I know 

Yup..Watts 3 cone is terrible...

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It may not be what you're talking about. 

As said, I agreed with you that JD changed the Jets investment split of draft assets between O and D.  Long overdue.

That investment simply has been entirely and utterly ineffective to-date.  

A GM doesn't get "credit" for drafting O if the O still plays like sh*t.

It may not be?  It's not.  Talking about how the offense sucks is a separate debate, and one that I have no interest in getting involved in.  sh*t has been beaten to death and we all can agree this year's offense will determine JD's fate.  If we're talking asset allocation though, the facts can't be denied.  Good players, bad players, whatever - it's irrelevant.  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

It may not be?  It's not.  Talking about how the offense sucks is a separate debate, and one that I have no interest in getting involved in. 

I think you misunderstand.  Just because it's not what you're talking about doesn't mean it's not what I'm talking about. 

And if you don't want to get involved in that, then don't.  No one is forcing you to reply.  

sh*t has been beaten to death and we all can agree this year's offense will determine JD's fate.

We don't know that to be true at all. 

JD could very reasonably survive another poor O year if Woody feels it's the Coaching and not the talent.  Just ask the many posters here at JN would have advocated or supported exactly that outcome if we don't live up to expectations in 2024.

If we're talking asset allocation though, the facts can't be denied.  Good players, bad players, whatever - it's irrelevant.  

Quality of picks (and all the details that led to them, like who was skipped, how often we traded down to end up with player X) is not irrelevant at all.  

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think you misunderstand.  Just because it's not what you're talking about doesn't mean it's not what I'm talking about. 

And if you don't want to get involved in that, then don't.  No one is forcing you to reply.  

We don't know that to be true at all. 

JD could very reasonably survive another poor O year if Woody feels it's the Coaching and not the talent.  Just ask the many posters here at JN would have advocated or supported exactly that outcome if we don't live up to expectations in 2024.

Quality of picks (and all the details that led to them, like who was skipped, how often we traded down to end up with player X) is not irrelevant at all.  

OK but....you quoted me.  I think you just misread my post and now we're stuck in this cycle of nonsense.  Fair enough though, let's just agree to.....agree....I guess?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Yup..Watts 3 cone is terrible...

It is still better than Tyreek Johnson.  People think McGregor is more "fluid?"  I don't see it.  McGregor looks like Frankenstein running to me.  Kind of like Kuntz.  McGregor has crazy length, but his shuttle was a tenth and a half slower than Johnson at 25 lbs lighter.  Watts shuttle was even worse than McGregor, but that is what you get with UDFA.  Good at some things, bad at others and see if you find a use.  If they were solid all-around prospects they would have been drafted.

LOL at people arguing about offense and asset allocation in a thread about UDFA D linemen!  How dare the Jets give a $250k signing bonus to a defensive player!  Don't they know their offense has sucked? 

• WTF? 1

24 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

OK but....you quoted me.  I think you just misread my post and now we're stuck in this cycle of nonsense.  Fair enough though, let's just agree to.....agree....I guess?

I don't see it as nonsense at all. 

And yes, I quoted you as a kickoff to what I wanted to say, i.e. that while this shift of draft-asset-use has indeed been a good thing, the results of that shift have not (yet! Fingers crossed for 2024!).

I'd agree to disagree, but honestly I'm not sure what exactly we'd be disagreeing about.  You made a point, I agreed with it, and made a point of my own you don't want to discuss.  That's not disagreement, lol.

4 hours ago, C Mart said:

Who's eyebrows?  Just asking

Read the first post of the thread @C Mart

Then there's this:

Aaron Rodgers and 3 other standouts from NY Jets first practice of 2024 OTAs (thejetpress.com)

3. Eric Watts, DL, NY Jets

The Jets signed a number of high-profile undrafted defensive linemen following the draft, but while the likes of Leonard Taylor III and Braiden McGregor have received more hype, Eric Watts might have the best chance to make the 53-man roster out of all of them.

Watts was given a team-high $245,000 in guarantees — a strong indication that the Jets believe he can make the roster out of training camp. He wasted little time making a positive impact.

Watts was matched up with Jets first-round pick Olu Fashanu on Tuesday working with the second-team defense, and he beat the rookie Penn State product for a near-sack of Tyrod Taylor.

Watts is a tweener defensive lineman in the mold of someone like John Franklin-Myers. He's someone Jets fans should keep a close eye on throughout the summer.

I don't get to attend OTA's, minicamp & training camp, so, I can only go by what I read.

Yes its very early, yes they're not even in pads yet, and I'm not saying, or implying that the guy is heading to Canton, but there's nothing wrong with a little cautious optimism.

We'll see how it shakes out, as the summer progresses.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is still better than Tyreek Johnson.  People think McGregor is more "fluid?"  I don't see it.  McGregor looks like Frankenstein running to me.  Kind of like Kuntz.  McGregor has crazy length, but his shuttle was a tenth and a half slower than Johnson at 25 lbs lighter.  Watts shuttle was even worse than McGregor, but that is what you get with UDFA.  Good at some things, bad at others and see if you find a use.  If they were solid all-around prospects they would have been drafted.

LOL at people arguing about offense and asset allocation in a thread about UDFA D linemen!  How dare the Jets give a $250k signing bonus to a defensive player!  Don't they know their offense has sucked? 

I see more fluidity, instinct & ability out of this 3+ minute tape of McGregor than I've seen of watts. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, jetsons said:

I see more fluidity, instinct & ability out of this 3+ minute tape of McGregor than I've seen of watts. 

Dude, that is a highlight tape.  The Watts tape is every snap of a game with him looking like sh*t.  I don't think anybody is saying Watts looked good in those tapes.  Like some of the other dudes we have looked at, he looks like he is being asked to read and react and taking six months to read.  I do not think McGregor looks "fluid" at all, but that is my opinion.  He is about 20 lbs lighter than the other guys we are talking about.  If any of them reaches a Bruce Hector or Jalyn Holmes level it is a plus.  If any of them rate significant snaps on this D it is a major score.  They all fit in the must provide value on specials bucket and the new rules and the Jets lack of carrying LBs might help one or more stick. at least as a practice squad guy that gets called up sometimes.  I don't have any love or hate for any of them.  When guys get talked up at this stage it is pretty meaningless. 

Edited to add that I don't have anything against McGregor.  I thought he was a good UDFA to have in.  I don't necessarily think Watts or Johnson has any better chance.  I am still higher on Leonard Taylor than all of them based on what little I knew pre-draft but who knows what issues that dude has.

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2024 at 2:12 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Very cool.  Joe D kills it w/these undrafted guys: Tony Adams, Brownlee, Gipson etc.

It’s why we have one of the best, deepest rosters in the nfl.

I don’ t disagree generally but it’s only OTA’s….let’s calm down, although he’s done the best job of any GM I can remember in getting those guys drafted from 4th round through to UDFA’s to make a contribution. The scouts need credit too for identifying those hidden gems but it certainly is a huge help to not just throw away those later picks like we did that time with Mark Sanchez buddy from high school(I forget the name). I really like Brownlee and Gipson who you mentioned and Adams was an excellent pick up. Now if we can just get those higher picks to live up to their draft position and we are looking good.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jetsons said:

To me, watts looks like an Uber Slow, Uber Stiff, Totally Clueless Bryan Thomas ... so ... Not Saying Much.

Absolutely like-for-like replacement for JFM then but at a faction of the price!…win win

On 5/25/2024 at 9:17 AM, nycdan said:

All I could see in that article was that an UDFA routinely beat Olu.

And I'm not even a Debbie Downer.

No pads or serious contact means nothing. Olu did not give up a sack his entire time in college when it counted with the pads on.

26 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

No pads or serious contact means nothing. Olu did not give up a sack his entire time in college when it counted with the pads on.

Yeah but when the NFL finally transitions to flag football  in shorts and shells he’s not gonna be much help. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, redlichtie said:

I don’ t disagree generally but it’s only OTA’s….let’s calm down, although he’s done the best job of any GM I can remember in getting those guys drafted from 4th round through to UDFA’s to make a contribution. The scouts need credit too for identifying those hidden gems but it certainly is a huge help to not just throw away those later picks like we did that time with Mark Sanchez buddy from high school(I forget the name). I really like Brownlee and Gipson who you mentioned and Adams was an excellent pick up. Now if we can just get those higher picks to live up to their draft position and we are looking good.

This seems like a strange reason to praise Douglas.  His late round picks have generally been abysmal.  Sure he made some UDFA finds, Huff in particular, but Maccagnan was a horror show and Robbie Anderson is probably a better find than everything Douglas has had rolled into one.  The only "starter" he found 4th round or later is Carter II.  I have hope for Warren, but Mitchell is on thin ice and Abanikanda might be too.  Other than that what did he have?   A bad punter they had to replace.  A bad corner they let walk for a one year minimum deal.  Echols who is a 4th corner of unknown ability.  Clemons seems like an okay rotational guy. 

Even sh*tty Maccagnan was at least comparable.  He got Brandon Shell in the 5th, Fatukasi in the 6th, Bless Austin and Juston Burress were not good, but they probably were no worse than Douglas late corners excepting Carter and even Parry Nickerson is still hanging on in the league.  Cashman in the 5th, a similarly sh*tty punter.  In two horrid drafts Idzik had Enunwa, Dozier and Aboushi. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Dude, that is a highlight tape.  The Watts tape is every snap of a game with him looking like sh*t.  I don't think anybody is saying Watts looked good in those tapes.  Like some of the other dudes we have looked at, he looks like he is being asked to read and react and taking six months to read.  I do not think McGregor looks "fluid" at all, but that is my opinion.  He is about 20 lbs lighter than the other guys we are talking about.  If any of them reaches a Bruce Hector or Jalyn Holmes level it is a plus.  If any of them rate significant snaps on this D it is a major score.  They all fit in the must provide value on specials bucket and the new rules and the Jets lack of carrying LBs might help one or more stick. at least as a practice squad guy that gets called up sometimes.  I don't have any love or hate for any of them.  When guys get talked up at this stage it is pretty meaningless. 

Edited to add that I don't have anything against McGregor.  I thought he was a good UDFA to have in.  I don't necessarily think Watts or Johnson has any better chance.  I am still higher on Leonard Taylor than all of them based on what little I knew pre-draft but who knows what issues that dude has.

I thought"that" was pretty clear in my post ;)... watts looks like I said just as McGregor looks like I said... Time will tell their outcomes.

On 5/28/2024 at 5:14 PM, jetsons said:

To me, watts looks like an Uber Slow, Uber Stiff, Totally Clueless Bryan Thomas ... so ... Not Saying Much.

Doesn't look that bad to me I think Bryan Thomas is his ceiling and if he makes that he is worth his weight in gold.

• Haha 1

Watts looks like he was signed for one reason to be Franklin Meyers replacement on the run downs .   To control the edge .     His wingspan is up there. Let’s face it the Jets have a lot undersized Des ( really lb) Reddick/ Will McDonald) .  They are going to rotate a lot defense lineman , and they looking for a defense lineman with a certain skill set.  
  If you looking for big sack guy he’s not the guy , but he can carve at a role on the Jets defense. 

• Upvote 1