Jets OTA updates (6/4 Open to Media)

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

what proven track record? Josh Allen? thats one guy. and im not sure he developed him. IMO QBs either have it or not. coaches can teach you some things but they cant teach what is between your ears.

i wouldnt force the issue of a OC with experience, thats how we got Hackett. 

thats true about the injuries but look at us. we had 13 different OL combinations, Zach at QB and no #2 WR. could they have that many injuries? still for those 9 games there QBs were much better than ours. still should have found a way to score more than we did.

he doesnt call his own plays but that is still his offense. as an ex OC he is heavily involved in it. 

He has coached Jalen Hurts, Tua Tagovailoa, and Mac Jones at Alabama for starters.  He also coached Chad Pennington and Favre with the Jets, I have read about others he coaches as a QB Coach before he became an OC, but can't remember who they were, but they were quality starters.  One doesn't fix technical flaws on one's own.  One needs a coach to help one learn the proper technique and then observe to make sure that the player does it correctly.  He definitely had a big part in fixing Allen's accuracy.

IMO you're wrong about QBs either having it or not.  I'm a teacher/coach by profession, and while some naturally do have what they need to succeed, others can learn and develop it with time and work.  A perfect example is Geno Smith.  Granted that it took him a long time, too long really, but players can learn and develop.  A big part of the problem is that QBs wind up being overdrafted because of the scarcity of topnotch QBs in the NFL, so teams expect the young QBs they draft to be able to start immediately or within a year.  That's not realistic or smart.  The reason there are so few quality QBs in the NFL is because of the lousy coaching/teaching they have received all along.  Many HS and college coaches only care about their own career and their W-L record.  If they have a talented player who is flawed, but better than anyone else at that position, they'll play that player to give them the best chances to win rather than have that player sit on the bench and learn, and that's even if they have a QB Coach or an OC who have a full understanding of what is need, how to teach, and the ability to teach. 

It makes little sense that so many QBs could be very good if not great in college, when a lot of them have never even had decent coaching, yet when they get to the NFL, they fail.  Some of them fail because they don't really love the game and aren't willing to put in the work.  They just wanted the glamor/fame and the money.  Most fail because of a lack of patience and understanding how to teach by OCs and HCs in the NFL.  They expect the QBs to be able to do it on their own, and that's not realistic.  They never had any formal training in pedagogical techniques and theory, they just coach how they were coached, and the old ways of coaching don't work with many of today's players, and they have never worked with every player.

As far as it being Daboll's offense, Hackett uses the same basic WCO that Shanahan and others use, but his lousy playcalling undermines the efficiency and effectiveness of the offense.  The same could be true with the Giants.  Some OCs have a gift for play calling and others do not.  They may be creative in play design or even adept at teaching the scheme, but don't have the ability to call plays in a way that keeps the opposing D off balance or sets them up to be a victim of a trap play or a trick play.  Instead it's like they either just devise a predictable pattern or what and how they call plays, or it's like they just draw plays at random out of a hat.  Daboll could still be a lousy HC, regardless of the abilities of his OC, but that doesn't mean that Daboll is a lousy QB Coach or OC.

BTW for his part in developing Allen, he won the Associated Press Assistant Coach of the year, and for leading the Giants to the playoffs in his rookie season as HC, he won the Associated Press Head Coach of the Year.  He also coached Rob Gronkowski with the Patriots, and he works consistently, so he must do something right and not be the stiff you claim he is.

As far as the Jets' next HC, I didn't say hire an offensive coach regardless.  I said if their is a quality one with a proven record.  Big difference.  One of the reasons the Jets' offense has been so awful and behind the times, is because of their string of former DCs or Defensive Coachs as HC.  The only 2 former OCs they have hired recently were Gase and Kotite, both incompetent boobs.

4 hours ago, jetsons said:

Cohen is for special teams, he will be rarely used if at all in the "O" ... that is, If he makes the team.

We will see, Cohen is getting a lot of run with the ones in OTAs for only a special teamer.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Jermichael Finley? Come on bro 

Sir, you started a thread quoting a Allen Robinson about the aftermath of Justin Fields, when sh*tty Allen Robinson had not played for the team since 2021.  lmfao

5 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Sir, you started a thread quoting a Allen Robinson about the aftermath of Justin Fields, when sh*tty Allen Robinson had not played for the team since 2021.  lmfao

Justin Fields sucks though. Robinson was also at one point a good player. Finley was never relevant and couldn’t catch and was always hurt. I don’t recall any of Rodgers teammates speaking out against him other than Greg Jennings. 

• Upvote 1

I gave up on this thread on page 10, looking for camp updates, but instead I'm just scrolling past dozens of posts about how Izzy isn't long for the roster, AR is too old to play football, Conklin is or isn't a JAG, etc. Why not just roll the Saleh sucks, ZW sucks, and JD is inept conversations into this one, so we don't need to start any more threads at all?

Sigh.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

And in an Aaron Rodgers led offense which TE has that been historically - no one.  TE is not a featured position for this offense . 

That's correct - Rodgers has never had a gamebreaking TE. That doesn't mean he wouldn't put one to good use. "TE is not a featured position for this offense" - I promise you that if Ruckert were looking like Travis Kelce or Sam LaPorta in practices, it would be. 

It wasn't a featured position in Kyle Shanahan's offenses - until the 9ers got Kittle, and then it was

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Justin Fields sucks though. Robinson was also at one point a good player. Finley was never relevant and couldn’t catch and was always hurt. I don’t recall any of Rodgers teammates speaking out against him other than Greg Jennings. 

Excuse Me What GIF

On 6/4/2024 at 4:45 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Dont pin the disease on me.  I havent mentioned Conky in months.

Only jet fans would call the likes of Conky, Pitts, Kincaid and Schultz JAGs.

Cowherd nailed it: “Jet fans are dopes.  They are clueless.”

I explained to you what "JAG" literally means and how Conklin is a fit. Kincaid is no JAG and neither is Schultz.  Conklin is.  Give it a rest.

Now, if only Izzy was close to being a JAG.....  long way to go to even reach JAG status. 

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I explained to you what "JAG" literally means and how Conklin is a fit. Kincaid is no JAG and neither is Schultz.  Conklin is.  Give it a rest.

Now, if only Izzy was close to being a JAG.....  long way to go to even reach JAG status. 

Shultz and kincaid had pretty much the same yardage last year as conky and played w/ much better qbs.  This is insanity what is going on around here.

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Shultz and kincaid had pretty much the same yardage last year as conky and played w/ much better qbs.  This is insanity what is going on around here.

LOL.  Schultz Kincaid, Pitts all had more yardage and a combined 10 TDs. Conklin had zero.  Conklins yards per reception also significantly lower.   He doesn't score and he doesn't get the yards beyond the level of a Jag.  Conklin = Poster boy for what a "JAG" truly is.  The others are a bit above... as the stats show.   

2 hours ago, jetfan40yrs said:

Is this a prophecy for 2024?

Type-O fixed.

That said, if he stays healthy, Conklin can easily meet & most likely exceed those numbers this year with healthy AR at QB.

20 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Guys guys guys, you're all right. Conklin is a perfectly fine starting tight end. He's a solid blocker, a solid receiver, reliable. He is also a perfectly upgradable starting tight end. He isn't a match up nightmare, he's not a guy with an elite skill, he's never going to be somebody the other teams have to gameplan for. 

^definition of: Just another guy at the TE position.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Dcat said:

According to ESPN, Conklin had 246 yards after the catch during the 2023 season. That ranked No. 17 among tight ends in the NFL.

Every team has at least 2 starting TE's on the roster which would be a minimum of 64 starting TE's in the league - ranking 17th in the NFL in YAC is not a bad showing.

That's a solid contribution to the offense, if Conklin can repeat or even exceed that performance with AR at QB, I'm good with that.

Tyler Conklin Breaks Silence on Jets’ Pursuit of Brock Bowers (msn.com)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Is there more to this?  This doesn't read like hate to me.  More like when your thinking about retiring you're already retired.  For the Jets that might be even more damning in trading for him.

It was a long-standing thing that I only remembered when you mentioned Finley above. FWIW, Donald Driver was not a fan either, but that was mostly (imo) because Favre was so beloved and Rodgers was very Cali. 

Link to a link where Tauscher interviews him about it. Kinda feel bad for the guy in retrospect. 
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/09/aaron-rodgers-finally-fires-back-at-greg-jennings-jermichael-finley/

58 minutes ago, Dcat said:

LOL.  Schultz Kincaid, Pitts all had more yardage and a combined 10 TDs. Conklin had zero.  Conklins yards per reception also significantly lower.   He doesn't score and he doesn't get the yards beyond the level of a Jag.  Conklin = Poster boy for what a "JAG" truly is.  The others are a bit above... as the stats show.   

Yeah shultz had a whopping 14 more yards than conklin.  Pitts a whopping 46 yards more.  Kincaid had a whopping 2 more tds then conklin and had josh allen throwing him the ball.

I mean, just monster separation in numbers between these guys.

Jet fans………….

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Jermichael Finley? Come on bro 

Dom posted Finley’s name and I recalled that there was some beef between them at some point. I don’t think Rodgers is unpopular or disliked—especially at this point in his career where he’s doing his Ketamine Yoda shtick—but he does have a history of contentious relationships. LaFleur couldn’t stand him, McCarthy wanted him dead, when he came available the Jets were literally the only team to pick up the phone. Even the guy who loves him most—Davante—bailed on him to go play with Carr and, when Carr was bounced and Adams trade rumors came up, Adams was quick to say he was good to stick with Aidan O’Connell.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yeah shultz had a whopping 14 more yards than conklin.  Pitts a whopping 46 yards more.  Kincaid had a whopping 2 more tds then conklin and had josh allen throwing him the ball.

I mean, just monster separation in numbers between these guys.

Jet fans………….

I dont want to continue this and derail the thread but i know if i check the actual stats your either way off or cherry picking or a combination of both lol.

You are poster #1 here for real. Dont change

The Disease…

14 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

According to ESPN, Conklin had 246 yards after the catch during the 2023 season. That ranked No. 17 among tight ends in the NFL.

Every team has at least 2 starting TE's on the roster which would be a minimum of 64 starting TE's in the league - ranking 17th in the NFL in YAC is not a bad showing.

That's a solid contribution to the offense, if Conklin can repeat or even exceed that performance with AR at QB, I'm good with that.

No. Come on. No.

Not every team starts 2 TEs.

In 2021 (last year I could quickly find data for), NFL teams had 2 or more TEs on the field for 8,896/36,332 offensive snaps (24.48% of the plays). So more than 3/4 of the time, teams have 1 or fewer TEs on the field. Stop it.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Dcat said:

A viable definition for JAG. I personally use the term for a replacement level player, which is basically the lowest-ranked starter (bottom quartile if I want to be extensive about it). Otherwise, you're not really leaving any room between "JAG" and "Star" and I think there's a tier between of "above average starter"

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

A viable definition for JAG. I personally use the term for a replacement level player, which is basically the lowest-ranked starter (bottom quartile if I want to be extensive about it). Otherwise, you're not really leaving any room between "JAG" and "Star" and I think there's a tier between of "above average starter"

And Conky is an above average starter.  Great explanation.  Case closed!

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He hadn’t missed a game in 5 years before the achilles tear.

Listening to people in the media, you’d think we were wheeling Stephen Hawking out on the field.

I don’t understand why so many act like it’s insanity to think that a 4x MVP QB can still be effective at 40. Especially after we’ve seen, and are currently seeing, dudes across sports (Brady, Brees, LeBron, etc) do it.

I heard Steve could read a defense really quick...😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

That’s one way to look at it, he’s 17 out of 32 starting TEs, that is epitome of average.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Stiggy!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

And Conky is an above average starter.  Great explanation.  Case closed!

no offense but "that" IS SERIOUSLY Crap...py. ;)