Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

Reddick will be singing for his supper this season and the NY Jets are the only place he is going to be able to do that singing. So if he wants to cut off his nose to spite his face by holding out or by not holding out and dogging it then all he will do is guarantee that he will not get the massive payday that he craves. 

No downside here that I can see

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, JetsMan57 said:

No that would not have been Jets-y. That would have been having foresight and noticing a homegrown ascending player and locking him up. There were many Jets fans (myself included) who wanted to lock up Huff at a bargain after the 2022 season and if im not mistaken Douglas admitted that was a mis-calculation on his part.

They tried to lock him up.  If you don't recall, Huff was tendered last season and nobody bit.  We will see how Huff does in Philly.  I like Huff, I wish they could have kept him, but Reddick at less money is a win win.  If we have to put up with some BS during camp, so be it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

What was JD suppose to do... Huff wanted to be a full 3 down edge (his words) ... Jets couldn't honor that so he left. 

Not sure how this gets missed in all the hatred.. 

Huff. 

• More Ugh 1

All I can be sure of is that if I worked for the NYJ I definitely wouldn’t read any social media posts . Some of us ream them out for whatever happens or any news we hear and assume they are perpetually incompetent and some of us defend everything they do. The truth has to be somewhere in the middle, no one I know does their job perfectly and all we can ask of someone is to do their best. It could be a lot worse we could be investors in Crowdstrike or CDK . Oh no I better check my investments . R.E.L.A.X. and enjoy the games and your fandom.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

shut up, dickhead. I never call people names 😅

I know guys are kidding and it's fine. But I've had the pleasure of watching a few games out back in the day with Warfish, my sons, Nick Mangold's grandmother and Aunt!  He's on my list of dudes I remind myself to not call a dickhead. LOL

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JetsMan57 said:

When did Bryce Huff say he wanted out? I dont recall him saying that. He wanted his role expanded.

Huff cant play the run at 6'3 255? Reddick is 6'1 240 and go look at his run defense rankings. Not great. There is also the criticism from Philly that he freelanced last year and chased sacks. Get ready for more of that this year if he has to play for a big contract.

You do realize Reddick is an OLB while Huff plays EDGE, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You do realize Reddick is an OLB while Huff plays EDGE, right?

Semantics, as they're both dedicated outside pass-rushers. 

OLB, DE, 'Edge', all basically the same thing in the modern NFL, playing (mostly) the same way from the same few spots.

i.e. a distinction without a difference.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I know guys are kidding and it's fine. But I've had the pleasure of watching a few games out back in the day with Warfish, my sons, Nick Mangold's grandmother and Aunt!  He's on my list of dudes I remind myself to not call a dickhead. LOL

We're definitely doing a game at the bar this year if it kills us!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For most holdout situations you don't worry about it at this stage as camp has barely started.  But to knowingly trade for a guy you knew would be a potential holdout (he's been wanting a new deal since March) without negotiating a deal at that time is negligent. 

Better plan would have been to let the Eagles cut him, even if you had to contend with the open market for his services.  Getting him into the building early wasn't worth a 3rd round pick.

This idea seems questionable at best.  He is looking for $25M.  The Jets are not going to give him that.  Letting the Eagles cut him means they would have to pay him to get him.  If he signs a deal anywhere near what he wants after this year we should be looking at the same round pick for 2026 that we will be giving up.  Let him hold out.  He is a DPR and probably needs less time in the system than other new players.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

This idea seems questionable at best.  He is looking for $25M.  The Jets are not going to give him that.  Letting the Eagles cut him means they would have to pay him to get him.  If he signs a deal anywhere near what he wants after this year we should be looking at the same round pick for 2026 that we will be giving up.  Let him hold out.  He is a DPR and probably needs less time in the system than other new players.

I’m sorry but trading for a guy who plans to stage a holdout is ridiculous even for the Jets. Has this ever happened before? It’s fair to question what exactly the Jets decision makers actually do in this case. It’s pure dereliction. 

• More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, JetsMan57 said:

When did Bryce Huff say he wanted out? I dont recall him saying that. He wanted his role expanded.

Huff cant play the run at 6'3 255? Reddick is 6'1 240 and go look at his run defense rankings. Not great. There is also the criticism from Philly that he freelanced last year and chased sacks. Get ready for more of that this year if he has to play for a big contract.

“I’m not giving any discount,” Huff said. “I worked so hard. I feel like I owe it to myself and my family and the people around me to maximize my earnings. I’m definitely open to every scenario and every team. I just want to do what’s best for me at the end of the day.”

Sounds like a guy open to leaving.

Huff had 8 sacks entering the last game. I wonder if he is ok with the Jets trying to win the game?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The same guy who told us the Jets received a verbal commitment is also saying the Jets and Giants can’t afford real grass because of high school football

"can't afford" is, of course, the wrong phrase

"Don't want to pay to maintain" would be more accurate 

I'm not rooting against Reddick. Put yourself in his position plus all other players. They have a short life as a player. They are at a risk playing esp in the NFL. There's a good chance for lasting head or brain injuries. And that's a proven fact. The NFL owners are making huge profits in the billions. They only share when they're forced to. Some players decide not to play unless they are given their figure. It's not worth it to them. So I get it. 

• Upvote 1

So, who do you believe?

Jets offered Haason Reddick a contract extension before holdout -- here's what comes next - Yahoo Sports

Jets offered Haason Reddick a contract extension before holdout -- here's what comes next.

Connor Hughes
Tue, Jul 23, 2024, 11:33 AM EDT·3 min read

FLORHAM PARK – The Jets reported for training camp on Tuesday.

Haason Reddick, whom the team traded for this offseason, is still not in attendance. The team does not have any indication when he plans on showing up – the first helping of drama in a season with Super Bowl aspirations.

The Jets-Reddick impasse centers around the pass rusher’s contract. Reddick has one year and $14.25 million unguaranteed left on the three-year deal he signed with the Eagles in 2022. The Jets inherited that contract when they traded a conditional third-round pick for him this offseason. Before completing that trade, the Jets offered Reddick a contract extension, sources told SNY. The figures, while a raise, were not what Reddick was looking for, so he declined the offer.

The Jets were open to a contract extension making Reddick one of the league’s highest-paid edge rushers (he wants a deal between $25 million and $28 million annually), but there was an understanding between the Jets and Reddick that in order to receive that, Reddick needed to show up and perform on the field (regular season games), SNY learned. The Jets were not willing to rip up Reddick’s current deal until that point. They were, however, willing to do an extension in-season, similar to when they rewarded defensive end John Franklin-Myers in October of 2021.

In the meantime, they could adjust Reddick’s current contract: Converting unguaranteed money to guaranteed, adding in incentives.

Reddick, who has double-digit sacks each of the last four seasons, was on board. He told Jets brass he would attend the offseason program, minicamp and training camp. Early-season dominance would lead to the desired extension.

Eagles linebacker Haason Reddick (7) reacts after a defensive stop against the San Francisco 49ers during the first quarter at Lincoln Financial Field.

Eagles linebacker Haason Reddick (7) reacts after a defensive stop against the San Francisco 49ers during the first quarter at Lincoln Financial Field. / Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

Then Reddick didn’t show up for the voluntary portion of the Jets offseason. He skipped mandatory minicamp. He is now a no-show for the start of training camp. The Jets are not willing to negotiate any extension until Reddick shows up. Reddick does not want to show up until he receives a long-term extension.

Reddick forgoed a $250,000 workout bonus by skipping the offseason program. The Jets fined him for skipping mandatory minicamp. He will be fined $50,000 per day he misses of training camp.

Internally, the Jets aren’t worried Reddick’s current absence will impact his season. Their attack-first defense isn’t overly complicated for defensive linemen to pick up and the team knows Reddick is in shape. The hope is that Reddick reports soon, they adjust his current deal, and continue to work towards a more lucrative extension. Granted, this could change.

The greater concern is the ever-changing landscape of whether or not Reddick will show up. The Jets felt they were on the same page. They, apparently, are not, with neither side willing to budge.

There is zero chance, sources told SNY, that this lingers to the point Reddick is released or traded. The Chiefs endured a similar holdout a year ago with Chris Jones, although there is belief internally that this holdout will not last that long. Jones missed Kansas City’s regular season opener.

Reddick’s absence will give Will McDonald, the team’s first-round pick a year ago, a chance for additional reps. McDonald had an underwhelming rookie season, recording three sacks in 15 games.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Semantics, as they're both dedicated outside pass-rushers. 

OLB, DE, 'Edge', all basically the same thing in the modern NFL, playing (mostly) the same way from the same few spots.

i.e. a distinction without a difference.

No, not semantics.  He’s an OLB who is used in coverage

Huff isn’t 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I’ll be sure not to call you a dickhead, so we will all be safe!! 

You constantly underestimate your own offensive-lineman-like frame my friend.  It's more like I shouldn't call YOU a dickhead (not that I would)!  You'd make short work of me.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’m sorry but trading for a guy who plans to stage a holdout is ridiculous even for the Jets. Has this ever happened before? It’s fair to question what exactly the Jets decision makers actually do in this case. It’s pure dereliction. 

Eh, to be fair, you seem to be treating a holdout as a much bigger deal than it actually is. If I knew nothing beyond what I gleaned from reading your posts in this thread, I would think that holdouts rarely, if ever, happen. Of course, in reality, multiple players hold out every year across multiple teams. Chris Jones actually held out through ALL of camp and preseason last year and even missed week 1, if I'm not mistaken. The Chiefs ended up being ok. 

Holdouts happen. Heck, Green Bay's franchise QB is currently holding out as I type this. I don't think anyone in Green Bay is panicking just yet. 

"Dereliction" is a bt dramatic. lol 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You constantly underestimate your own offensive-lineman-like frame my friend.  It's more like I shouldn't call YOU a dickhead (not that I would)!  You'd make short work of me.

Dude at 5'7" only advantage I get is I'm at the level of your bad knees!  LOL

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Can you share the link of Douglas recapping his rationale behind the trade?

Can’t share his Jd thoughts but it’s pretty obvious why he made that move.   The Jets are all in on this year , and what have Jermaine Johnson and Will McDonald proven at this point . H Reddick has been a proven double digit sack guy for the last couple of years.    The Jets desperately need H Reddick , and he has the Jets over a barrel .   They will cave and give him what he wants - and forgive his fines he owes them . 

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

Can’t share his Jd thoughts but it’s pretty obvious why he made that move.   The Jets are all in on this year , and what have Jermaine Johnson and Will McDonald proven at this point . H Reddick has been a proven double digit sack guy for the last couple of years.    The Jets desperately need H Reddick , and he has the Jets over a barrel .   They will cave and give him what he wants - and forgive his fines he owes them . 

You can no longer forgive fines in the new CBA

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is getting really weird.

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade