Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

10 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

why was it a dumb trade if you expect him to play this year?

Just stated above, but...

Trading a 3rd round pick (that could be a 2nd) for a one year rental of a 30 year old speed rusher is just doesn't make sense.

Particularly when you could have resigned, longer term, a much younger version of him who was already on your roster.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Trading a 3rd round pick (that could be a 2nd) for a one year rental of a 30 year old speed rusher is just doesn't make sense.

Particularly when you could have resigned, longer term, a much younger version of him who was already on your roster.

He’s 29 and wants a long term deal at $22 million + per year.  This will end well.

23 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

So, a guy says he is going to do something, you trust that to be true (which is EXACTLY how it ought to be), and he reneges on his word, and Joe has 'dropped the ball.' 

image.jpeg.d03d0e92b417d0a66df5be159818d829.jpeg

how many examples do  you want of a player or gm saying one thing and doing the other? only contracts matter and Joe as a gm knows this-words and promises mean nothing

19 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

he didn't want to be a part time player.  

maybe he will talk during the eagles camp and say that again.  perhaps folks here will hear it.  

Eh.  If JD offered him 3 years $51mm (as the Eagles did) he would be a Jet.

You can say he didn't want to be paid like a part time player ---- but the Jets could have kept him for the right price.

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Douglas is free to explain the move. He has yet to do so.

People that negotiate in public are fools. He has no reason to piss off the player or agent. They know between themselves what happened, and that is all that is important. 

As a team, you go to practice with the players that report. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

He’s 29 and wants a long term deal at $22 million + per year.  This will end well.

He'll be 30 in September and signing a speed rusher long term past the age of 30 would be an even worse decision than trading for him for one year.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not a Joe Douglas hater.  Just think he makes some dumb move.  

Trading a 3rd round pick for a one year rental of a 30 year old speed rusher isn't a smart move.

Especially when you have an elite much younger version already on your roster that you could have locked up longer term.

It’s a third round pick 2 years from now which equals a 4th or 5th in value.

Our guy didn’t want to stay here with the role he was offered.   Keeping him wasn’t an option and he isn’t as good against the run as Reddick.   Getting an All Pro for a mid round pick isn’t a bad trade if he plays and is as effective as he has been in the past.

• Upvote 1

The trade was not dumb Reddick went back on his word Im pretty surs this trade would NOT  have happened if Reddick made it clear he wanted a renegotiation or at the very least they would have held up the trade while they negotiated.

IMHO Reddick accepted the trade and is now trying to hold the Jets Hostage and thats bullsh*t on his part. If he played years for the Jets I could understand a hold out just like I would have understood it if he held out in Philly. If he indeed agreed to let this deal go through then decide he wanted something different he is a man of very low character and Im sure it wont go over well with the players. Of course the players  if asked will give the regular canned answers but there are proper ways to negotiate and this is not one of them and will lose him a lot of respect.

Now if this is on the Jets and they agreed to sweeten the deal then they need to sh*t or get off the pot and throw in some cash, guarantees and move the **** on. 

Either way thios should have all been agreed too at the beginning. If it was, then as I stated shame on Reddick. If it was not (which I doubt) then the Jets need to pay.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You can say he didn't want to be paid like a part time player ---- but the Jets could have kept him for the right price.

Huff is not the complete player Reddick is not only that but Reddick while playing more also out sacked him so in a two year window Reddick was the right move . Now all we need tto see is if Reddick went back on his word or if the Jets are being stupid. We really can't comment much until we find out all the facts and Reddick is not talking to the media unless I missed something. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, kmnj said:

how many examples do  you want of a player or gm saying one thing and doing the other? only contracts matter and Joe as a gm knows this-words and promises mean nothing

Cool....So, a player says he will do one thing, you negotiate accordingly, and say that you will give him "A-B-C," but the player says "Nope, I want A-B-C-D-E."  So, this then becomes JD's fault that the deal hasn't been finished according to some critics.

Yet, the same critics, if JD were to give him A-B-C-D-E will then rush to the podium to scream "You gave him too much!  Why didn't you hold steadfast!"  Critics are going to criticize.  It's what they do.  Just like the scorpion stings, I guess. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2024 at 9:02 AM, Matt39 said:

What’s going to be great is Saleh having to answer questions about this for the next two months while Douglas hibernates in Rehoboth Beach. 

Douglas got fleeced by his former team. Obviously eagles wanting to put him on trade block and go hard after huff should have raised a big red flag. But Douglas has proven many times his lack of experience as a smart gm.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Douglas got fleeced by his former team. Obviously eagles wanting to put him on trade block and go hard after huff should have raised a big red flag. But Douglas has proven many times his lack of experience as a smart gm.

Are we sure he’s not really playing 4D chess and other GM’s underestimate his GM prowess. Perhaps Roseman overestimates himself.

• WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I just don't think that is true dude.  Any comment Huff made in the press made it VERY clear he thought he was worth being paid as a full-time player for a guy who was very good at almost getting to the QB.  He led the league in such stats.  Was he great at pressuring?  Yes.  Did he hit two-digit sack totals?  Once (oddly enough, his contract year.  Before that, his highest sack total was 3).  He was a liability against the run.  You don't spend $25 million a year on a guy like that.

And to be fair:  We know NOTHING (as it should be BTW) about what goes on behind closed doors.  He might have been a dick to deal with.  Who knows. 

I think the Reddick deal was the way to go.  Does it suck he isn't in camp?  you bet.  Might we get a deal done?  Perhaps.  I hope it wouldn't be for more than about 2-3 years.  I am sure their thinking is lets see what Jermaine and Will turn into before handing out a big contract.  Reddick playing out that final year will make that defense REALLY good. 

In the end, we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors.  GM's, whether it is JD or not, have a tougher hill to climb when whatever team is going through a long losing spell.  You have to draft well and keep players for a start.  Then get players to sign.  The only reason a player comes to a team on a long losing streak is for money, and that is the worst mistake you can make.  Not to mention keeping the larger picture in mind, bigger things going on in the world than what our GM is doing with a contract negotiation he has all the leverage in.        

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Are we sure he’s not really playing 4D chess and other GM’s underestimate his GM prowess. Perhaps Roseman overestimates himself.

I gotta say, I am REALLY looking forward to what you will do with the team when you are hired once Woody comes to his senses and fires JD.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

The people who continue to point to Huff and act like he is even remotely in the stratosphere as Reddick, need their head checked.  Straight up.  Reddick is a massive upgrade, MASSIVE.

Reddick is the Myles Garrett, JJ Watt verse.  Sacks, strips, forced fumbles, tackles, pressures, plays run and pass.  He's the only other DE/Edge that is even comparable since entering the league and that was after, being completely misused for years in Arizona.  

Huff is in the Yannick Ngakoue verse.  He's a one trick pony who is a complete and utter liability in the run game.  Nice, useful player but very replaceable. 

When people say, they should have just kept Huff instead of this headache, they're ignoring the fact the Jets did make an offer and the fact that Reddick is 10x the player.

That is just way too many facts for some of this crowd Justin.  WAY too many.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I 100% doubt this is the case . This came down to a discussion between the Jets and Reddick at the time of the trade because Im sure Philly let them talk. The only question is who is being the Dick the Jets or Reddick. At that point we can give our opinions on the deal, right now its only questions

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

The people who continue to point to Huff and act like he is even remotely in the stratosphere as Reddick, need their head checked.  Straight up.  Reddick is a massive upgrade, MASSIVE.

Reddick is the Myles Garrett, JJ Watt verse.  Sacks, strips, forced fumbles, tackles, pressures, plays run and pass.  He's the only other DE/Edge that is even comparable since entering the league and that was after, being completely misused for years in Arizona.  

Huff is in the Yannick Ngakoue verse.  He's a one trick pony who is a complete and utter liability in the run game.  Nice, useful player but very replaceable. 

When people say, they should have just kept Huff instead of this headache, they're ignoring the fact the Jets did make an offer and the fact that Reddick is 10x the player.

Great post.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not a Joe Douglas hater.  Just think he makes some dumb move.  

Trading a 3rd round pick for a one year rental of a 30 year old speed rusher isn't a smart move.

Especially when you have an elite much younger version already on your roster that you could have locked up longer term.

A 2026 3rd rounder for one of the best pass rushers in the game for a win now team. Yeah, that's dumb 🙄. And for the millionth time, Huff was not signing here.

JD has made some awful moves (see Wilson, Zach) but this doesn't qualify as one.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Any comment Huff made in the press made it VERY clear he thought he was worth being paid as a full-time player

He should be paid as a starter.  He is a legitimate impact player in his prime.   We'll see how it all plays out but my guess is Huff will be more productive over the next three years than Reddick is.

30 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I think the Reddick deal was the way to go

I worry about his age.  30 year old speed rushers are like RB's.  That's about the age when they're done.   Signing him to a longer contract would be an even bigger mistake.

31 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Not to mention keeping the larger picture in mind, bigger things going on in the world than what our GM is doing with a contract negotiation he has all the leverage in.

I have no idea what this means.  But this is a Jets chat board and we're hear to do just that.  I don't think anyone is trying to solve the world's problem here.  

Having a conversation about the Jets choice to trade for Reddick while also letting Huff walk is a very reasonable conversation for this forum and probably one of the better off-season discussions this board has had.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Somewhere around mid-season it will be much clearer about whether really trying to keep Huff vs. letting him go and trading for Reddick was a good/bad/awful decision by Douglas.  On the surface, to me right now, it seems like keeping Huff would have been better.  The Jets were fairly clear that they only view him as a rusher (albeit a really, really good one) who wasn't as effective on early downs and running situations.  What's weird is he is bigger than Reddick but you can't argue with Reddick's consistent production in both sacks and tackles the past 4 seasons.

The interesting part of this debate will be to see how the Eagles use Huff and if he can turn into a younger Reddick or if he stays a situational rusher.  As I said, we should have an idea about this a few weeks into the season.  Ultimately, if Reddick is playing and producing similarly to his numbers in PHI, I will honestly not care about the 'swap' at all and wish Huff the best in PHI. 

It's fair to be critical of the way the dispute turned out, but operating under the likely assumption that Reddick will be playing when the real games start, it's just a lot of hot air and this time of year, we really have enough of that already.

Stop complaining about hot air!!! @Maxman wants to keep the post counts up!

given the jets rotation it's not getting bumped up to a second rounder.

isn't the deal for a 2026 pick?  so if the Jets let him leave after the season, don't we get a comp pick?  it would be a good one right?

so the net cost isn't great - give a third rounder, get a fourth rounder.  not bad for a 1 year rental when you are all in.

your alternative solution wasn't possible as you know he didn't want to be a part time player.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

You keep saying only contracts matter.  That's a fair take.  The Jets have Reddick's John Hancock on a signed contract for well below market value.  Somehow you claim this makes the GM dumb.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He should be paid as a starter.  He is a legitimate impact player in his prime.   We'll see how it all plays out but my guess is Huff will be more productive over the next three years than Reddick is.

I worry about his age.  30 year old speed rushers are like RB's.  That's about the age when they're done.   Signing him to a longer contract would be an even bigger mistake.

I have no idea what this means.  But this is a Jets chat board and we're hear to do just that.  I don't think anyone is trying to solve the world's problem here.  

Having a conversation about the Jets choice to trade for Reddick while also letting Huff walk is a very reasonable conversation for this forum and probably one of the better off-season discussions this board has had.

the comparison will be good to see.   Reddick probably going to cost more.  I think the Eagles made a nice signing.

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the Jets & Reddick work out something along the lines of a 3 year extension.

And disagree with you about pass/speed-rushers.

Pass rusher is one of those positions, where guys can play well, well into their 30's

Bruce Smith

Reggie White

Kevin Greene

Mario Williams

Terrell Suggs

DeMarcus Ware

Michael Strahan

Robert Mathis

Julius Peppers

Dwight Freeney

Jared Allen

And the list goes on....

Of all the things with Reddick to be concerned about, I'm the least worried about his age.

If Reddick's age really bothers you, @FidelioJet you can give this a read;

Sacking Father Time: Elite pass rushers productive into their 30s - CBSSports.com

• Upvote 1

7.5 sacks his first 3 years and then 10 last year where he didn't get his first sack until week 5 and had 8 going into the final game. I'm not sure what the "right price" is but it's not what Philly paid him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Huh?

I am sure he's explained the move to anyone that matters.

you and I don't matter.

Sure. Then all we can do is speculate. Joe Douglas W/L record proves he has no idea what he’s doing, so we can go off of that for now. 

• Thumb Down 1

51 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Great post.

Any chance we can have a separate section for posts that deal with logic?

Sad part is there won't be many this one related to Reddick/Huff will be near the top of the list. 

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Sorry @Maxman

The above post is the one i should have copied in the top of the logic section. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You keep saying only contracts matter.  That's a fair take.  The Jets have Reddick's John Hancock on a signed contract for well below market value.  Somehow you claim this makes the GM dumb.  

I could be wrong, but said GM who was busted sleeping during a Jets game may not have fully understood Reddicks contract or desire for a new one. In year 6, 30 games under .500, I can’t believe he’s getting any benefit of the doubt. Trading for a player in a final year and then the player ghosting the team is unprecedented. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

He'll be 30 in September and signing a speed rusher long term past the age of 30 would be an even worse decision than trading for him for one year.

This is a lazy take. Defensive ends are not running backs -- there are a billion examples of edge rushers who thrive well into their 30s. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Literal worst case scenario IMO and not that big a deal at all. 

Or even better... do nothing. He will need to show up at some point just to get the accrued season, to be a free agent in March.

Then someone else signs him in March on $20MM+/year contract -- easily enough to net the Jets a 3rd round comp pick in 2026. Since the Jets are winning the Super Bowl this year & next anyway, it's only a drop of 1-5 draft slots for half a year of Reddick at $7MM. :D 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I could be wrong, but said GM who was busted sleeping during a Jets game may not have fully understood Reddicks contract or desire for a new one. In year 6, 30 games under .500, I can’t believe he’s getting any benefit of the doubt. Trading for a player in a final year and then the player ghosting the team is unprecedented. 

Wait, did he not even read the contract/not do any due diligence or did he read the contract and not understand it? The goal posts are being moved all over the place.

• Upvote 1

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade