Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

30 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He plays a premium position and sacks the QB. It’s not going to matter.

At 30? Yeah it does. He needs to play and play well for the contract he's looking for. This is pretty much an accepted fact. 

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Just seems unnecessary to trade for another teams headache. I think we’d both agree the Eagles are well run and the Jets are the Jets. And no, I don’t think Douglas comprehensively went through all of these scenarios and what if’s. 

Meh, you’re making too much hay over a 3rd round pick two seasons later (common trade value of a 5th rounder this season).

They made back more than that just by moving back from #10 to #11.

The 49ers have two premium starters holding out. BFD.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh, you’re making too much hay over a 3rd round pick two seasons later (common trade value of a 5th rounder this season).

They made back more than that just by moving back from #10 to #11.

If this is a must win season (it is), and we needed this edge rusher so badly, franchising Huff (who was well liked) was the simple and easy move. Instead we are playing chicken with a guy who’s never played a down for the team. It makes zero sense.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Reddick needs to perform on the field for his next contract and the ONLY team and the ONLY place he can do that is here with the Jets.  We were never going to pay him a huge payday anyway but rather use up the goodness in his hast contract year while hoping that Will McDonald takes the next step and is ready to fill Reddick's shoes this year or next year.

Nothing has changed here other than some early camp posturing.  Pretty soon he will be here in camp with a chip on his shoulder looking to prove to the world how much he is really worth.

Best, best case for us (super wishful thinking I know) is some other contending team loses their stud pass rusher and is willing to trade for him mid-season this year and where Will McDonald stands ready to go for us right away.  Otherwise we just settle for the one year of his benefitting from a keep-everyone-fresh rotational system.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

That is too deep a conspiracy even for me, brother lol

The only other reason for the Eagles to sign Becton at precisely that time is if they felt there’d be some mad rush bidding was for Becton the next day. If they really thought that, then surely Becton’s agent would know more about that and he’d have waited himself.

It’s not a straight elimination of the 3rd, and the Reddick trade happened way earlier, but that is clearly a free gift to the Jets that cost the Eagles nothing. Almost like it was a gift after seeing the Jets didn’t qualify for a comp pick for Huff after no one wanted our other FAs.

Then if the Jets lose Reddick after one season, they would likely get back a 3rd round comp in 2026, too. So as much as taking Reddick off their hands was absorbing their headache, really it was also just repaying for a future high comp pick: Eagles get the Jets’ 3rd in 2026, and Jets get the Eagles’ woulda-got 3rd round comp in the same draft. Grabbing Becton evens it out a little more.

I don’t think it was part of the initial Reddick deal, which again was much earlier, but given the past close connection between Douglas and Philadelphia, it doesn’t sound that far-fetched that they did him a solid just to do it, seeing how it cost them nothing to do so.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol whatever. It makes no sense to you because you either don’t understand, or are pretending you don’t understand, all of it.

For starters, you’re again making far too much out of that 3rd because I don’t think you realize how the picks work. The 3rd is more or less free, seeing how - if they don’t extend Reddick longer-term - they get back a 3rd round comp in that same draft. That was the deal to rent him for the year with an option to buy.

Franchise Huff, lmao. This is as unserious of a complaint as it gets.

• Nobody in the NFL was willing to pay Huff that much even with the opportunity for a bidding war and moreover even with the ability to backload that lesser per-year amount on a multi-year deal.
  • Further, then the Jets would need to have carried that full $21MM tag in cap space while he’s holding out all summer not signing it.
  • Plus further still, as a FA they couldn’t squeeze Huff with fines or future contract to show up because they wouldn’t be able to fine him for holding out like is happening with Reddick, and he really didn’t want to stay where he wouldn’t have a starting opportunity after the team took that opportunity away from him to find a team that would.
  • Reddick is also just a better and more proven player, particularly as an edge rusher which was all Huff was used for anyway.

I don't think Douglas walks on water. He’s made some painfully bad and stupid things. That said:

Your splitting of hairs over the supposed big deal of the Jets holdout, vs. others’ holdouts, over a 3rd rounder two years later (which they’re likely to recoup anyway) is a strange take. Even stranger still seeing how your idea for a sensible remedy would involve Huff holding out anyway, while carrying a larger cap charge for the privilege, and getting a lesser player when the holdout ends.

A player is holding out for a team who he’s never played for lol.This is the first time (to my knowledge) that this has happened  in league history. It’s not complex. I understand it perfectly. It was the Jets cutting corners thinking they have a long term move when they had nothing. Especially factoring in the simple franchise tag they held over a good player in Huff. If you’re laughing at the tag then you really are clueless. The Huff situation was the exact reason the tag was created lol

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wouldn’t the analogy here be if the Jets traded for Aiyuk, got him into the building, and then acted surprised when Aiyuk asked where his new contract was?

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wouldn’t the analogy here be if the Jets traded for Aiyuk, got him into the building, and then acted surprised when Aiyuk asked where his new contract was?

I am still waiting for an example of a holdout occurring from a player who’s never played for the team. I can’t take the “well this is actually not a big deal and actually good” people even remotely seriously. What has happened to this place? This would never be a theme here 10-15 years ago. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Copernicus said:

And I would add the Huff would have been such a great accolade for JD and Saleh in recruiting players. Undrafted, developed by the Jets into one of the top young premier edge rushers in the NFL. One of Saleh's mantras is developing young players where they can get paid. He did this and the Jets let Huff walk. What message does this send to our upcoming free agents who we want to retain like Breece, Garrett, JJ, and Sauce? 

it sends the message that they are saving their cap money for the smarter choices, mainly the 3 of them, instead of overpriced guys like Huff.  

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I am still waiting for an example of a holdout occurring from a player who’s never played for the team. I can’t take the “well this is actually not a big deal and actually good” people even remotely seriously. What has happened to this place? This would never be a theme here 10-15 years ago. 

Lots of whistling past the graveyard.

14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I haven’t seen anyone call it “good” - I HAVE seen people say it’s not that big of a deal - which, I mean, it likely isn’t 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I haven’t seen anyone call it “good” - I HAVE seen people say it’s not that big of a deal - which, I mean, it likely isn’t 

I have no expectations for Reddick at all this season. And there’s no shot he plays 17 games.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Do you expect him to be happy with his contract?

No idea - depends what the Jets give him

Are you saying Reddick will hold out past camp into the season or that he’ll just take games off when he feels like it?  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Lots of whistling past the graveyard.

What, precisely, is the worse case scenario that we should fear?

I’m enjoying watching you two try to convince JetNation that the billionth NFL training camp holdout in the last 10 years is somehow special. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’m enjoying watching you two try to convince JetNation that the billionth NFL training camp holdout in the last 10 years is somehow special. 

This one kind of is since he’s never played a down for the team

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Sure. Then all we can do is speculate. Joe Douglas W/L record proves he has no idea what he’s doing, so we can go off of that for now. 

matt that's a terrible take and you know it. Douglas was dealing with the worst QB in the league and it seemed there was more involved with that mess than meets the eye. Douglas has built a very talented Roster and we shall see how he does with a healthy Rodgers under center.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This one kind of is since he’s never played a down for the team

Sort of a distinction without a difference, since all that matters going forward are the ways the holdout can negatively impact the jets

the holdout has the same potential outcomes regardless of how many games Reddick has played here 

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The issue is Reddick was never going to play under this current contract, because if that were the case, he’d still be in Philly. Hughes running PR and talking amount this verbal agreement sounds iffy at best. This smells like an impulsive move by a GM whose ass is on the line. 

No, the issue wasn’t that Reddick wasn’t going to play under that contract, the real issue was Philly wasn’t paying him. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I have no expectations for Reddick at all this season. And there’s no shot he plays 17 games.

Like a year ago, this same time.  Matt39 proclaims, Becton will never play a down for the Jets again.  Told me over and over.  

17 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

matt that's a terrible take and you know it. Douglas was dealing with the worst QB in the league and it seemed there was more involved with that mess than meets the eye. Douglas has built a very talented Roster and we shall see how he does with a healthy Rodgers under center.

Who was behind the Wilson decision the last 3 years? 

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Like a year ago, this same time.  Matt39 proclaims, Becton will never play a down for the Jets again.  Told me over and over.  

I wouldn’t really say Becton last year played. He was physically there I guess.

• WTF? 1

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

A player is holding out for a team who he’s never played for lol.This is the first time (to my knowledge) that this has happened  in league history. It’s not complex. I understand it perfectly. It was the Jets cutting corners thinking they have a long term move when they had nothing. Especially factoring in the simple franchise tag they held over a good player in Huff. If you’re laughing at the tag then you really are clueless. The Huff situation was the exact reason the tag was created lol

You keep harping on the 3rd - two years from now; a pick they’ll recoup anyway - as though it’s significant. 

I’m just not getting why you think it matters that they acquired a player who merely wants more money, and how that is preferable to a player who genuinely doesn’t want to be on the team, and who’d be more expensive to carry on top of that, and who would ALSO be holding out with zero team leverage. 

The Huff situation is not why the tag was created. It was created so teams could hang onto a player for less money than it’d take to extend him, and make it cost prohibitive (or in the case of the exclusive tag, impossible) for another team to outbid. This doesn’t apply to Huff, who signed for millions less per year than tagging him would cost. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Not unless they traded a mid-round pick they don’t have to pay until two years from now, which they’d recoup in that same season.

Aiyuk is a guy you trade for and immediately turn to a new contract because he just turned 26 and further because it’d take a lot more than the value of a current-year 5th rounder to get him.

Aiyuk is doing a hold-in, btw: holding out without holding out so he can’t get fined $50K/day. He’s there and refuses to do a ****ing thing. It’s a worse situation for the team, tbh. That’s on top of having Trent Williams holding out at the same time, and both a year after they just did this dance with Bosa. It’s a worse look because the team looks like it’s being disloyal to a player who’s excelled for them. With the Jets & Reddick, it’s purely a business transaction; no emotion involved with them let alone having it fester throughout the clubouse & spread to other players. 

And guess what? It’ll all likely work out for SF, as it likely will with the Jets & Reddick. 

It’s July ffs. Panic when there’s something to panic about. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Who was behind the Wilson decision the last 3 years? 

According to you on this site, it was Woody Johnson. Uncle, JetBlue type of thing. But you conspire so much here without basis of reality or common sense, it is hard to keep up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I’d guess that Douglas ends up relenting and giving Reddick a two year deal for roughly the same AAV that Huff got. It’s just an odd decision to trade for a guy who was available in the first place because he wanted a new deal and then choose to play hardball with the guy because you have no cap space to deal with it

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade