Haason Reddick Requests Trade, Joe Says NO!

Joe Douglas

The contract dispute between Haason Reddick and Joe Douglas just took a turn for the worse.  The premier edge rusher has asked to be traded after his holdout field to yield the desired result.

Hoping to join an elite group of edge rushers making $25 million or more per year, Reddick has yet to take part in any Jets offseason or training camp activities.  As a result, he’s racking up astronomical fines that cant be forgiven under the current CBA.

Responding to the request being made public, Jets GM Joe Douglas has said no deal will be made.

Douglas-comment-300x288.png

In his statement, Douglas said the Jets “will not trade him” in referring to Reddick who, he continued, “will continue to be fined per the CBA if he does not report”.

As we pointed out just yesterday, Reddick is in a difficult spot as the Jets depth means they can sit back and wait.  Perhaps Reddick has realized this is in fact the case and would rather go to a team that’s far more desperate, and therefore willing to pay for his services.

The post Haason Reddick Requests Trade, Joe Says NO! appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

3, He wants a ton of money.  Money we do not have and don t want to spend.  Do you know who else we would want on the roster?  Danielle Hunter, Kendall Fuller, Marquise Brown.  Not necessarily for the money they got though.  They would be happy to have Reddick at $14M, but not $25M per or whatever he is looking to get.

Is the Jets stance that Reddick told them he would play for 14 mill? Why are they trading for a player that made it known he wants a new deal if they can’t afford the number he’s looking for?

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I don't understand this rationale.
1.  Do they need him?  No, they have enough at the edge including some UDFA that I find very interesting, as I felt about Huff in 2020.  That does not mean he would not help the team if he were here.
2. We traded for him because he could help.  He certainly can help more than a 3rd rounder 2 years from now, which equates to a 2024 5th.  You hear people talk about late rounders as lottery tickets, well I think this has better odds of producing a serious edge rusher than that.
3, He wants a ton of money.  Money we do not have and don t want to spend.  Do you know who else we would want on the roster?  Danielle Hunter, Kendall Fuller, Marquise Brown.  Not necessarily for the money they got though.  They would be happy to have Reddick at $14M, but not $25M per or whatever he is looking to get.
4.  How Douglas sounds is not the point.  He has to say that to keep the pressure on Reddick.  Just like Reddick's agent probably had to request a trade to ramp up the press and public to get some action on this front.  

We don’t need him we have UFDAs is one of the most mind boggling things I’ve ever read

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

20 minutes ago, Plen T said:

Reddick is a goof

whats the play with a holdout? Lose an entire year of salary, miss a year of playing, and come back at 31 thinking someone will give you the bag?

LOL

They never learn do they ? Jets have all the leverage. Good for Joe. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Biggs said:

If we don't need him why trade for him?  If we don't need him why do you want him on the roster?  Douglas sounding stupid not tough.  

Oh, so now NFL teams CAN have too much talent?

This is brand new.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FootballLove said:

...and if Reddick sits out 2024 season, Jets own him for 2025 as well. Reddick is screwed. We just need to see you JoeD man-handles him. I'm surprised no one warned Reddick that JoeD ain't like the rest of the GMs.

He caved to Green Bay. The 1st round swap was GB just flexing on Joe D who let it be be known how desperate he was for Rodgers. While jets lost the player they wanted, GB picked a LB they could have easily had at 15th anyway. 

20 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Yes they actually can at certain positions.  That’s why trades are often a positive not a negative.  

Is edge rusher one of them?

And can you recall the last time a GM was let go because he acquired too much talent?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

And can you recall the last time a GM was let go because he acquired too much talent?

Are you actually taking the position that JD did this right?

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Who traded up to get one 2 years ago and took 1 with our 1 last year.  If we don’t have an edge rusher without a trade whose fault is that?  If we needed an edge rusher and were trading for one why trade for one that told the team he played for he wasn’t playing without a new contract and actually figuring out if we could afford him?

Not that I think it matters one way or the other.  We either have a really good team and make the playoffs or the GM and HC are gone.  

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Are you actually taking the position that JD did this right?

I believe they did offer a contract extension to Reddick, and it was agreed upon prior to the offseason schedule as long as he showed up and participated like a teammate. Seems very odd that a player is requesting a trade from 2 teams in a matter of months due to money requests when he hasn't even shown up.  The Jets FO has made a statement on this whole sh*tshow, but you haven't heard a damn thing from him, or Sexton why is that? Seems very unprofessional from himself and his Agent that they would not negotiate especially when the man was in the Building in April giving players hugs telling them all how they are or were going to have the best D in Football. Seems we are blaming the wrong person or people in this fight .       

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, JetNation said:

Joe Douglas

The contract dispute between Haason Reddick and Joe Douglas just took a turn for the worse.  The premier edge rusher has asked to be traded after his holdout field to yield the desired result.

Hoping to join an elite group of edge rushers making $25 million or more per year, Reddick has yet to take part in any Jets offseason or training camp activities.  As a result, he’s racking up astronomical fines that cant be forgiven under the current CBA.

Responding to the request being made public, Jets GM Joe Douglas has said no deal will be made.

Douglas-comment-300x288.png

In his statement, Douglas said the Jets “will not trade him” in referring to Reddick who, he continued, “will continue to be fined per the CBA if he does not report”.

As we pointed out just yesterday, Reddick is in a difficult spot as the Jets depth means they can sit back and wait.  Perhaps Reddick has realized this is in fact the case and would rather go to a team that’s far more desperate, and therefore willing to pay for his services.

The post Haason Reddick Requests Trade, Joe Says NO! appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

I will actually go with the unpopular opinion on this.

Players and teams sign a contract, then they are both bound to the terms of the contract. A player has one or more good years and immediately they fail to honor their contract by holding out and do cause problems for the team in many different ways.

A team cannot get it's money back when a player get a big contract but does not work out (Lazard for example. Teams giving in to players have caused this hold out crap. If there is a contract, they both have to honor it or they should be held liable not to the tune of simply not being paid, they should be sued for breach. If a player feel that he is not getting enough money, that is between he and his agent who did not do a great job, not the team.

6 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

I believe they did offer a contract extension to Reddick, and it was agreed upon prior to the offseason schedule as long as he showed up and participated like a teammate. Seems very odd that a player is requesting a trade from 2 teams in a matter of months due to money requests when he hasn't even shown up.  The Jets FO has made a statement on this whole sh*tshow, but you haven't heard a damn thing from him, or Sexton why is that? Seems very unprofessional from himself and his Agent that they would not negotiate especially when the man was in the Building in April giving players hugs telling them all how they are or were going to have the best D in Football. Seems we are blaming the wrong person or people in this fight .       

So not speaking publicly about a contract for your services is unprofessional?  That’s a very weird take.  

I don’t think any of this matters.  The Jets are either going to win and get to the playoffs or Douglas and Saleh should be let go.  What Reddick does or doesn’t do isn’t relevant.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

But, but, but it's so easy and simple to lay all the blame at JD's feet.  You're killing the narrative!  How dare you?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

surprised by the beating joe is taking over this. whats he supposed to say? the dude got traded to us and he was on board for playing and then suddenly changed his mind. luckily for us, we dont need him that badly but why should joe give in to this dudes demands?

seems to me like the media is having a hard time believing this 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

The Jets FO has made a statement on this whole sh*tshow, but you haven't heard a damn thing from him, or Sexton why is that? Seems very unprofessional from himself and his Agent that they would not negotiate especially when the man was in the Building in April giving players hugs telling them all how they are or were going to have the best D in Football. Seems we are blaming the wrong person or people in this fight .       

I agree. This is the most telling line from JD's statement:

"Since the trade discussions back in March, we have been clear direct and consistent with our position."

In other words, nothing has changed from what we told you back when the trade was made (and presumably you had no issue with that.) 

Now would be the time for his agents to issue a statement like:

"At the time of the trade we informed the Jets that our client would under no circumstances play this season under his existing contract and nothing has changed since then."

Why haven't they issued a statement like this? My guess is because it would be an outright lie. Reddick changed his tune, not the Jets.

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

So not speaking publicly about a contract for your services is unprofessional?  That’s a very weird take.  

I don’t think any of this matters.  The Jets are either going to win and get to the playoffs or Douglas and Saleh should be let go.  What Reddick does or doesn’t do isn’t relevant.

Then why are you so Anti-JD on this whole situation if Reddick doesn't matter? If Reddick and his Agent are silent on this then yes it does not put them in a good light or trying to Negotiate in good faith. Right now, the Jets have all the Leverage.  

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I agree. This is the most telling line from JD's statement:

"Since the trade discussions back in March, we have been clear direct and consistent with our position."

In other words, nothing has changed from what we told you back when the trade was made (and presumably you had no issue with that.) 

Now would be the time for his agents to issue a statement like:

"At the time of the trade we informed the Jets that our client would under no circumstances play this season under his existing contract and nothing has changed since then."

Why haven't they issued a statement like this? My guess is because it would be an outright lie. Reddick changed his tune, not the Jets.

BINGO!!!