Did Reddick's camp just provide a road map for his return?

It's presented as a random idea from Josina Anderson but boy is this an awfully specific/detailed "suggestion" for how the Jets can get Reddick to show up to camp.

And of course it comes less than 24 hours after the Jets said they will not be trading Reddick.

The Jets/ Haason Reddick situation is pretty simple: Both sides staked flags on opposite sides of the island today; because evidently --neither side wants to bend the knee. Just like any other stalemate: To get progress, you need concessions: Here's one* route to a potential solution.

1.) Haason Reddick could change his hold-out to a hold-in & avail himself for in-person facetime and discussions. This would generate some goodwill that teams sources have consistently said would help the situation, while still defending his principle.

2.) Owner Woody Johnson should permit GM Joe Douglas to make an additional contractual concession as an acknowledgment of the above step from the player, starting with Reddick not making anything lower than Bryce Huff's APY, and decreasing the discretionary portion of Reddick's accumulating fines under CBA A4-S9.

3.) Have an understanding in advance for Reddick to assimilate into remaining practices and the regular season on a slower pace-- include a more conservative pitch-count and/or delayed debut to protect Reddick's health upon his return after a protracted absence.

4) Reddick agrees to the all of team's criteria the Jets* define as "participation" for team activities and meetings moving forward to maintain the max value of the restructured deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, JetPotato said:

Was going to ask if there's been a single reporter who has gotten comment from Reddick or his agent since yesterday. 

Not thinking she has. Seems like this is just her taking a stab at it.

She made the claim a couple weeks ago that there was some progress but didn't say it was huge or anything was imminent.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

She made the claim a couple weeks ago that there was some progress but didn't say it was huge or anything was imminent.

I think that's her MO. Take a stab at it in a way that has little downside if she's wrong, far less certainly than the attention it brought either way.

22 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

This definitely sounds like it came from Reddick's agent.  I see two big problems with it:

One, it is my understanding that no portioin of Reddick's fines are discretionary, that they are ALL mandated by the CBA and the NFL. 

Two, increasing Reddick's pay to match Huff's contract.  That makes zero sense imo.  If they were willing to pay that much, then they should have just re-signed Huff.  After Reddick lied or changed his mind, has been in no contact with the team, and shown himself to be such a dumbass, I sure wouldn't give him that kind of increase.  I'd give him a contract that could pay 20-30% more based on his staying healthy and achieving some fairly easily-achieved incentives.  That's it.  I'd also make it clear that he was walking in FA next year, that this is just a one-year rental because of his actions.

Only points 1, 3, & 4 make sense to me.

He’s only getting it for one year. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Barkus said:

This is totally right from the agent. It is extremely specific. This happens all the time in the media. Teams do it for reporters too.

i was going to same the same thing. she even quoted the exact CBA provision so his fines could go down. thats has to be coming from his agent.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

This definitely sounds like it came from Reddick's agent.  I see two big problems with it:

One, it is my understanding that no portioin of Reddick's fines are discretionary, that they are ALL mandated by the CBA and the NFL. 

Two, increasing Reddick's pay to match Huff's contract.  That makes zero sense imo.  If they were willing to pay that much, then they should have just re-signed Huff.  After Reddick lied or changed his mind, has been in no contact with the team, and shown himself to be such a dumbass, I sure wouldn't give him that kind of increase.  I'd give him a contract that could pay 20-30% more based on his staying healthy and achieving some fairly easily-achieved incentives.  That's it.  I'd also make it clear that he was walking in FA next year, that this is just a one-year rental because of his actions.

Huff is making 17 mil a year. Reddick is the better player. if i had to give someone 17 mil it would be Reddick.

if 3 more mil is all it takes to get him here i would do it for this year. problem is he probably wants 25 mil for multiple years.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I would bring him in with enough of a raise to cover the fines with assurances that he will get a proper amount of ramp up time consistent with what they have done with other veterans. He is a good player that can help us win games, no need to be petty.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

I like the “delayed debut” part, especially if used to protect the playing time escalator that turns the 3rd into a 2nd.

That should definitely be a factor. As well as with late start less of chance of being banged up for end of yr/ playoffs. Give Will McDonald some time to prove Joe D had at least some fing clue why this guy was drafting in 1st round ha.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

It's presented as a random idea from Josina Anderson but boy is this an awfully specific/detailed "suggestion" for how the Jets can get Reddick to show up to camp.

And of course it comes less than 24 hours after the Jets said they will not be trading Reddick.

The Jets/ Haason Reddick situation is pretty simple: Both sides staked flags on opposite sides of the island today; because evidently --neither side wants to bend the knee. Just like any other stalemate: To get progress, you need concessions: Here's one* route to a potential solution.

1.) Haason Reddick could change his hold-out to a hold-in & avail himself for in-person facetime and discussions. This would generate some goodwill that teams sources have consistently said would help the situation, while still defending his principle.

2.) Owner Woody Johnson should permit GM Joe Douglas to make an additional contractual concession as an acknowledgment of the above step from the player, starting with Reddick not making anything lower than Bryce Huff's APY, and decreasing the discretionary portion of Reddick's accumulating fines under CBA A4-S9.

3.) Have an understanding in advance for Reddick to assimilate into remaining practices and the regular season on a slower pace-- include a more conservative pitch-count and/or delayed debut to protect Reddick's health upon his return after a protracted absence.

4) Reddick agrees to the all of team's criteria the Jets* define as "participation" for team activities and meetings moving forward to maintain the max value of the restructured deal.

1.) Haason Reddick could change his hold-out to a hold-in & avail himself for in-person facetime and discussions.

Holy sh-t!  I made a joke the other day about the Jets making arrangements for him to WFH over Zoom.  

58 minutes ago, doitny said:

i was going to same the same thing. she even quoted the exact CBA provision so his fines could go down. thats has to be coming from his agent.

I think bringing up Woody also could be because they think he’s the roadblock here 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JKlecko said:

One, it is my understanding that no portion of Reddick's fines are discretionary, that they are ALL mandated by the CBA and the NFL. 

I disagree with paying Huff same value as Reddick.  Reddick is a more complete player for the same or more money.

I don't ever agree with hold outs in any fashion, and I personally would hold a firm stance.  That said, the suggested terms are not unreasonable, and I'd say it's more concession from the Reddick Camp than Jets Camp.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, hawk said:

I disagree with paying Huff same value as Reddick.  Reddick is a more complete player for the same or more money.

I don't ever agree with hold outs in any fashion, and I personally would hold a firm stance.  That said, the suggested terms are not unreasonable, and I'd say it's more concession from the Reddick Camp than Jets Camp.

I disagree.  So do the Eagles.  They were willing to pay Huff more than they were Reddick.  That speaks volumes imo.  I think the terms are totally unreasonable if Reddick lied or changed his mind about reporting.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I disagree.  So do the Eagles.  They were willing to pay Huff more than they were Reddick.  That speaks volumes imo.  I think the terms are totally unreasonable if Reddick lied or changed his mind about reporting.

I think if Reddick was asking for Huff money the Eagles would have jumped on an extension. Reddick is looking for a multi-year contract in the $25 million per year range which the Eagles weren’t willing to go for.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

Huff is making 17 mil a year. Reddick is the better player. if i had to give someone 17 mil it would be Reddick.

if 3 more mil is all it takes to get him here i would do it for this year. problem is he probably wants 25 mil for multiple years.

Did the Eagles offer Reddick $17 million?  If not, then they don't think he's better than Huff.  If so, then Reddick's a moron for not taking it.  He's already made $51 million in his career.  He's not hurting for money.  He's 30 years old, and players whose main asset is their speed can lose that speed quickly.  Most NFL teams don't just roll over and give 30 year-olds huge contracts with lots of guarantees for the player without some kind of protection such as seeing the player produce in their scheme and fit in with their players.

5 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I think if Reddick was asking for Huff money the Eagles would have jumped on an extension. Reddick is looking for a multi-year contract in the $25 million per year range which the Eagles weren’t willing to go for.

I think he's nuts asking for that kind of money at 30.  At that age, some players lose their speed seemingly overnight and their level of play can drop precipitously, but especially players whose main asset is speed. If I were the Eagles' GM, I would have told him to go kick rocks too.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Did the Eagles offer Reddick $17 million?  If not, then they don't think he's better than Huff.  If so, then Reddick's a moron for not taking it.  He's already made $51 million in his career.  He's not hurting for money.  He's 30 years old, and players whose main asset is their speed can lose that speed quickly.  Most NFL teams don't just roll over and give 30 year-olds huge contracts with lots of guarantees for the player without some kind of protection such as seeing the player produce in their scheme and fit in with their players.

He’s never really gotten paid well.  The Carolina contract sucked.  The eagles was okay but not as much as I think he should have gotten.  

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, JKlecko said:

I think he's nuts asking for that kind of money at 30.  At that age, some players lose their speed seemingly overnight and their level of play can drop precipitously, but especially players whose main asset is speed. If I were the Eagles' GM, I would have told him to go kick rocks too.

I agree 100% and I believe Douglas believes the same way. I think the team sees him as a 1 year stop gap but would probably go 3 years including this year for more reasonable money.

• Upvote 1

Just now, batman10023 said:

He’s never really gotten paid well.  The Carolina contract sucked.  The eagles was okay but not as much as I think he should have gotten.  

Never been paid well?  Guy, he's made $51 million in his career.  He's been paid VERY well!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, hawk said:

What exactly do you think Reddick is conceding?   He has a contract that he signed and he is not honoring it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I’m sure that the Carolina and Philadelphia offers were the highest ones out there at the time. You are only worth what the highest offer is.

• Upvote 2

I read that if Reddick holds out the 2024 season (last year of his 4 yr contract), then his 4th year becomes the 2025 season. So essentially, we would have him for 2 years.

Reddick is going to panic at some point. Maybe fire his agent? Then when he comes in, he's gonna play ANGRY af!

• Upvote 1