Aaron Rodgers Preseason Play?

Aaron Rodgers Preseason  

80 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD Aaron Rodgers Play in PS Game 3?

• No, full bubble wrap mode.
    • Yes, but only a drive or 2.
    • Yes, play him into the 3rd quarter as per traditional 3rd PS game.
  2. 2. WILL Aaron Rodgers Play in PS Game 3?

• No, full bubble wrap mode.
    • Yes, but only a drive or 2.
    • Yes, into the 3rd quarter as per traditional 3rd PS game.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/23/2024 at 09:41 PM

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What the hell are you rambling about? Why do you think anyone thinks anything discussed here is taken into account by the Jets decision makers. Are you OK?

It fascinates me that this "argument" pops up so frequently when it is facially self-defeating.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Well, the average NFL team averages between 11 and 12 possessions a game. So, 4 possessions is well over a quarter, on average. That would satisfy me. 

He played two series, and I’d bet it would’ve only been one if they’d scored a TD on the first. 

3 practices over the last 12 days. Thtat’s how much Aaron Rodgers has been on the field since August 6th.

In his defense, the rest of the starters have only practiced 4 times in that period.

Long gone are the days of staying in the dorms and practicing twice a day. I realize the Jets don’t have total control over the training camp schedule — the preseason game schedule and the CBA dictate some of that. But they do have some control of it, and it just can’t be benefitting them in terms of getting ready for the season.

I believe Rodgers should play at least a series or two against the Giants. The amount they’ve practiced together is just not enough.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

3 practices over the last 12 days. Thtat’s how much Aaron Rodgers has been on the field since August 6th.

In his defense, the rest of the starters have only practiced 4 times in that period.

Long gone are the days of staying in the dorms and practicing twice a day. I realize the Jets don’t have total control over the training camp schedule — the preseason game schedule and the CBA dictate some of that. But they do have some control of it, and it just can’t be benefitting them in terms of getting ready for the season.

I believe Rodgers should play at least a series or two against the Giants. The amount they’ve practiced together is just not enough.

Think this "they don't practice enough" thing is simply bad coaches explaining failure. These guys are in meetings and walk thrus all the time. Can recall bad coaches like Joe Walton who ran good teams into the ground with the whole tough guy practice til you drop thing. Rodgers has been doing this for 2 decades. He is the OC for all practical purposes. It's the deal. He'll be there MNF. 2 series vs. the Giants aren't a must. If he wants to, fine. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

This is simply not true

8 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Is that practice number true? Holy sh*t 

26 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

This is simply not true

Is it not true? If I’m wrong, please feel free to correct me — I’m just going by practice reports here and on several other sites. Here is what I have:

Aug 7 — No practice because day before joint practice with Commanders

Aug 8 — Joint practice with Commanders, Rogers sits out

Aug 9 — No practice because day after joint practice, day before preseason game 1 (maybe there’s a walk through for the guys who will be playing? It was not reported on anywhere I could find)

Aug 10 — Preseseason game 1 — Rodgers and all starters sit out

Aug 11 — Off day after preseason game 1

Aug 12Regular practice

Aug 13 — Regular practice

Aug 14 — No practice because traveling to Carolina

Aug 15 — Joint practice with Panthers

Aug 16 — No practice because day before preseason game 2 … again, maybe there’s a walk through for those who will play?

Aug 17 — Preseason game 2, Rodgers and all starters sit out

Aug 18 — Off day because day after preseason game 2

So, again, maybe I’m missing something. If so, please let me know what.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Think this "they don't practice enough" thing is simply bad coaches explaining failure. These guys are in meetings and walk thrus all the time. Can recall bad coaches like Joe Walton who ran good teams into the ground with the whole tough guy practice til you drop thing. Rodgers has been doing this for 2 decades. He is the OC for all practical purposes. It's the deal. He'll be there MNF. 2 series vs. the Giants aren't a must. If he wants to, fine. 

I am not a guy who generally takes the everything-was-better-in-the-old-days position. I realize this is a new era and there are better ways to get the best out of your players than beating then into the ground in practice. But, I’ve been paying attention to every camp report, and this current schedule is pretty concerning to me. I understand the “Rodgers has been doing this for 19 years, he doesn’t need a lot of practice” line of thinking. To some extent, it’s true — I am by no means in favor of overworking a 40 year old QB who needs to stay fresh and healthy as much as possible. But he IS coming back from not playing for a full season, he IS with new teammates he needs to get familiar with, and those teammates don’t have decades of NFL experience and DO need practice themselves (with their QB). So, I think there’s some middle ground between Joe Walton and how this Jets camp has been so far.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

I agree.  The 1st time the starting O lines up together should not be on Monday night in SF.

11 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Is it not true? If I’m wrong, please feel free to correct me — I’m just going by practice reports here and on several other sites. Here is what I have:

Aug 9 — No practice because day after joint practice, day before preseason game 1 (maybe there’s a walk through for the guys who will be playing? It was not reported on anywhere I could find)

Aug 12Regular practice

Aug 16 — No practice because day before preseason game 2 … again, maybe there’s a walk through for those who will play

You’re missing Salehs tee times

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

I am not a guy who generally takes the everything-was-better-in-the-old-days position. I realize this is a new era and there are better ways to get the best out of your players than beating then into the ground in practice. But, I’ve been paying attention to every camp report, and this current schedule is pretty concerning to me. I understand the “Rodgers has been doing this for 19 years, he doesn’t need a lot of practice” line of thinking. To some extent, it’s true — I am by no means in favor of overworking a 40 year old QB who needs to stay fresh and healthy as much as possible. But he IS coming back from not playing for a full season, he IS with new teammates he needs to get familiar with, and those teammates don’t have decades of NFL experience and DO need practice themselves (with their QB). So, I think there’s some middle ground between Joe Walton and how this Jets camp has been so far.

The issue people will have here is you paying attention to these things. that makes the locals here very unhappy.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I agree.  The 1st time the starting O lines up together should not be on Monday night in SF.

Well, I believe the starting o line practiced together a couple of times this past week. But still … there are lots of fine points to iron out, and this little practice for the o line, receivers (with their starting QB), etc, has to have an impact.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Aug 12Regular practice

Aug 16 — No practice because day before preseason game 2 … again, maybe there’s a walk through for those who will play

You said “3 practices in 12 days” but I think it’s actually “4 practices (2 of them scrimmages) and 1 preseason game” - right?

also, Rodgers missing the Commanders scrimmage sucked 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The issue people will have here is you paying attention to these things. that makes the locals here very unhappy.

Old QB Took a year off after four plays with Achilles injury and comes back with a tiny calf on that side, old offensive lineman not getting much reps together to gel and an offensive coordinatish type person who will literally shrink up like George Constanza’s penis after a cool brisk morning swim in September  if AR8 go’s out again. Honestly it’s just nitpicking at this point. What could go wrong? 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Old QB Took a year off after four plays with Achilles injury and comes back with a tiny calf on that side, old offensive lineman not getting much reps together to gel and an offensive coordinatish type person who will literally shrink up like George Constanza’s penis after a cool brisk morning swim in September  if AR8 go’s out again. Honestly it’s just nitpicking at this point. What could go wrong? 

The likelihood of Rodgers getting hurt again rises with him coming into week 1 cold.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, jgb said:

Why do you think anyone thinks anything discussed here is taken into account by the Jets decision makers. 

It fascinates me that this "argument" pops up so frequently when it is facially self-defeating.

And yet, it's also entirely, 100% accurate.

Many folks, in my experience at least, seem to forget that we're all just bullsh*tting here.  Some craft their bullsh*t with vastly better rhetorical skills, education, experience, supporting facts, cited references, etc., and yet.....they're still 100% bullsh*tting.  Not one single word of the various dissertations, treatises, studies, critiques, papers and disquisitions carries with it any actual real world influence, authority or power or value.  It's entirely "for entertainment purposes only" meaningless bullsh*t.  None of us will ever get real validation that we were "right" in this argument or that, despite the massive hubris of so many here.  We'll never know what the decision makers do, all the behind the scenes factors, all the variables, all the things fans cannot and do not see.  We can just wave our dicks after the fact and say "look how smart I am, look how right I was, aren't I special".

Social interaction and a sense of community is all this place provides.  It's not some future scholarly library of football brilliance someday to be studies by football scholars. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And yet, it's also entirely, 100% accurate.

Many folks, in my experience at least, seem to forget that we're all just bullsh*tting here.  Some craft their bullsh*t with vastly better rhetorical skills, education, experience, supporting facts, cited references, etc., and yet.....they're still 100% bullsh*tting.  Not one single word of the various dissertations, treatises, studies, critiques, papers and disquisitions carries with it any actual real world influence, authority or power or value.  It's entirely "for entertainment purposes only" meaningless bullsh*t.  None of us will ever get real validation that we were "right" in this argument or that, despite the massive hubris of so many here.  We'll never know what the decision makers do, all the behind the scenes factors, all the variables, all the things fans cannot and do not see.  We can just wave our dicks after the fact and say "look how smart I am, look how right I was, aren't I special".

Social interaction and a sense of community is all this place provides.  It's not some future scholarly library of football brilliance someday to be studies by football scholars. 

It is self-defeating because it is a mere truism that no one disputes. Not to mention there is irony in someone who themselves enjoys talking Jets on here to preach to others how it’s all meaningless because it won’t influence the team.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, jgb said:

Johnny, take this post with the intent that it is meant and that is extreme admiration of your craft:

When Lawyer U spat you out, you came exactly from the mold they cherish and preach. Be very verbose, while taking a middle ground and keeping the conversation spinning in that realm, without a true resolve so that there is plenty of billable hours accruing and the meter kicks ticking.  Attack the edges, and the middle will eventually come. But let it simmer.

Heck, you even had Matt39 kissing the ring this time. 

Punxsutawney jgb, I salute you. See you next year.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Johnny, take this post with the intent that it is meant and that is extreme admiration of your craft:

When Lawyer U spat you out, you came exactly from the mold they cherish and preach. Be very verbose, while taking a middle ground and keeping the conversation spinning in that realm, without a true resolve so that there is plenty of billable hours accruing and the meter kicks ticking.  Attack the edges, and the middle will eventually come. But let it simmer.

Heck, you even had Matt39 kissing the ring this time. 

Punxsutawney jgb, I salute you. See you next year.

Verbose, huh?

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

It is self-defeating because it is a mere truism that no one disputes. Not to mention there is irony in someone who themselves enjoys talking Jets on here to preach to others how it’s all meaningless because it won’t influence the team.

Why argue about Roe V Wade?! The Supreme Court doesn’t consider what the fans have to say!!!! 

• Haha 2

Should Rodgers play, yes.

Will he play, absolutely not.

Robert Saleh is the reason he wont play.  If Rodgers was to get hurt in the preseason and be lost for the year, coach is getting fired.

Saleh would be insane to take that risk.

And if my job was on the line, there a less than 0% chance id play rodgers.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Should Rodgers play, yes.

Will he play, absolutely not.

Robert Saleh is the reason he wont play.  If Rodgers was to get hurt in the preseason and be lost for the year, coach is getting fired.

Saleh would be insane to take that risk.

And if my job was on the line, there a less than 0% chance id play rodgers.

Pretty much my thoughts. Although I wouldn’t say “absolutely not” that he won’t play, just highly unlikely. Imputing logic to the Jets… well, mixed track record at best lol.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is all fun and games, until someone gets hurt. Then it would be:"Why are they so stupid to put a player at risk for a meaningless game. Stupid, stupid, stupid".

Yeah, not much upside here for Saleh or JD to play him. Especially not while on short contracts.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I wish I could say that I trust the coaches and they know what they are doing. But I do have fingers crossed.

But totally reasonable to trust Reddick — I kid, I kid. 😛 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is all fun and games, until someone gets hurt. Then it would be:"Why are they so stupid to put a player at risk for a meaningless game. Stupid, stupid, stupid".

Meanwhile, week 1:

”Penalties, miscommunications, breakdowns…. Saleh never has this team ready to play!!!!”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2024 at 1:16 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

37 minutes ago, Plen T said:

Early season advantage, while teams have their starters in bubble wrap knocking the rust off the first 2 weeks the Chiefs will be 2-0

I wonder if their slow start to the beginning of last season is the reason for this. Does anyone know if they had the same preseason game plan with Mahommes last year? 

• Upvote 1