Trade Reddick Tonight

1 hour ago, jgb said:

The point being if you can’t work the deal with Reddick you don’t finalize the trade with the Eagles. That’s what a pre-condition means.

I understand that this is what you would have insisted on at the time.  Any other deal breakers for you? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Make a proposal. I will note i get great pleasure from this “negotiation” as it shows the cracks in casual  messageboard confidence.  

That's silly. I've said all along that Reddick will end up reporting to play out his existing deal or one that leaves him not meaningfully better off than if he'd shown up day 1. You're the one claiming Douglas will cave to save his own job. So tell me what you think "caving" looks like

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Okay, let’s play this out. You think Reddick doesn’t have any leverage. Okay, so then it would impossible for his leverage to decrease since he has zero now. Therefore, the best time for JD to negotiate with him is right now, when his leverage is at definitional minimum (zero).

Only JD has refused to do that. He said I want you to report before I’ll even talk to your people. Well, why do you need to attach conditions to even hold a discussion with someone who you already have on the mat by the throat?

My point is this — I agree JD has Reddick pinned at the moment, so use the advantage to fix this. It is impossible for Reddick to go to “less than zero” leverage but injuries and other factors could actually shift some power back to him. JD should drop the “you must be here to talk to us” pretense and negotiate before something changes that actually strengthens Reddick’s position.

Leverage is useless until you leverage it.

That's a great approach if you want to treat this as a one-off negotiation. But it's not; at this point, por L'encouragement des autres comes into play. Douglas has to worry about four guys who will be extension eligible next offseason, not all of whom will be getting new deals right away. So he needs to make sure their agents understands that a hold of won't help them get the best deal. 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And again, I want to see proof of it, not just what some assume is the case.  There are so few of these cases I’d love to know where anyone thinks they’ve got definitive proof that players are more likely to be severely injured because they missed camp

I understand.  I've just been going on what I've heard and read.  There may be no conclusive proof. It may be a matter of coincidence rather than causation.

Then again, Saleh has said that if/when Reddick does report, that he will need to be eased in.  If there's no such thing as needing to get conditioned to hitting, why would Reddick need to be eased in?  As long as he was in shape, why couldn't he just go full tilt?

Wait. Is this thread implying JD made a foolish trade? Can't be. 

I prefer to see the pure genuis of out smarting the entire league by drafting the stud of all studs, McDonald, letting Huff walk for nothing, then trading for a player you're not willing to resign in order to, maybe, trade him. There is no less than two 1sts and 2nds coming for Riddick. Just you watch. 

9 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I prefer to see the pure genuis of out smarting the entire league by drafting the stud of all studs, McDonald, letting Huff walk for nothing, then trading for a player you're not willing to resign in order to, maybe, trade him. There is no less than two 1sts and 2nds coming for Riddick. Just you watch. 

Free agency let Huff walk for nothing because  he was no longer under contract.

• Upvote 2

On 8/24/2024 at 11:01 PM, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Even if he shows up, he will not be in shape. He will get injured and out for the season. Trade him tonight and live with the consequences.

I like it.  Edge isn't going to stop us from going to the playoffs.  Bring in another WR.

1 hour ago, Testaverde9819 said:

The Big Lebowski Reaction GIF

Are you saying he wasn’t? Or do you not know what that means? Also the fact kid wanted to go to a team he could play 3 downs, Jets had no interest in that. Apparently as of now neither do the Eagles. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I don't get it.  The thread is not implying anything.  It is whining about the optics of this and wanting to dump him for anything.  I don't think anybody is saying Douglas got a win here.  The whole thing has not played out yet and several of us expect him to come in and play at some point under his current deal or something close.  

The bullsh*t about Douglas being dumb for not extending him before the trade is silly.  He wasn't holding out with the Eagles.  He was unhappy with his deal.  They supposedly talked ot him about options and he agreed.  Then at some point he and/or his agent thought they would do better by holding out.  Douglas isn't letting them.  I agree with that play.  Everybody knew this was a risk, but we will see how it plays out. 

Knee jerk reactions are jerky.  I am not too young to remember when signing Fant was a huge mistake, then a great signing, then a mistake again.  Or when drafting Becton was smarter than taking Thomas or WIrfs.  Until it wasn't.  This was a low risk deal with the main issue being public/press perception.  Having message board warriors and Cimini whining about it was to be expected and does not make it some huge mistake.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't get it.  The thread is not implying anything.  It is whining about the optics of this and wanting to dump him for anything.  I don't think anybody is saying Douglas got a win here.  The whole thing has not played out yet and several of us expect him to come in and play at some point under his current deal or something close.  

The bullsh*t about Douglas being dumb for not extending him before the trade is silly.  He wasn't holding out with the Eagles.  He was unhappy with his deal.  They supposedly talked ot him about options and he agreed.  Then at some point he and/or his agent thought they would do better by holding out.  Douglas isn't letting them.  I agree with that play.  Everybody knew this was a risk, but we will see how it plays out. 

Knee jerk reactions are jerky.  I am not too young to remember when signing Fant was a huge mistake, then a great signing, then a mistake again.  Or when drafting Becton was smarter than taking Thomas or WIrfs.  Until it wasn't.  This was a low risk deal with the main issue being public/press perception.  Having message board warriors and Cimini whining about it was to be expected and does not make it some huge mistake.

Paulie Walnuts Mafia GIF by HBO

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Okay, let’s play this out. You think Reddick doesn’t have any leverage. Okay, so then it would impossible for his leverage to decrease since he has zero now. Therefore, the best time for JD to negotiate with him is right now, when his leverage is at definitional minimum (zero).

Only JD has refused to do that. He said I want you to report before I’ll even talk to your people. Well, why do you need to attach conditions to even hold a discussion with someone who you already have on the mat by the throat?

My point is this — I agree JD has Reddick pinned at the moment, so use the advantage to fix this. It is impossible for Reddick to go to “less than zero” leverage but injuries and other factors could actually shift some power back to him. JD should drop the “you must be here to talk to us” pretense and negotiate before something changes that actually strengthens Reddick’s position.

Leverage is useless until you leverage it.

It’s not zero right now. He loses money every day and if he doesn’t play loses the season and the Jets still own him. He has zero leverage when he can no longer play.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, sciond said:

The message don't be a an idiot. Who cares about the message Jet were every agents doormats for years.

Second he is not a Jet. You have to show up to be one at least once.

subtract the fines from the new contract

and offer him that.....

many times team forgive fines in these situations. No concessions in this case

There is no “new contract” — i think you mean his old contract. Subtracting the fines is not an option under the current CBA — this has been discussed ad infinitum on this board.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

That's silly. I've said all along that Reddick will end up reporting to play out his existing deal or one that leaves him not meaningfully better off than if he'd shown up day 1. You're the one claiming Douglas will cave to save his own job. So tell me what you think "caving" looks like

I'm guessing bringing in a bunch of FAs and UDFA pass rushers who look really good in preseason and rack up sacks like free candy is not your definition of caving? :D

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

There is no “new contract” — i think you mean his old contract. Subtracting the fines is not an option under the current CBA — this has been discussed ad infinitum on this board.

yeah, my bad I mean that

10 hours ago, mfmartin said:

Every team knew he wanted the contract. Hell the story from Connor Hughes (who is Douglas’s mouthpiece through the beat) is teams were hanging up when they heard Reddicks demands, but we are supposed to believe that 31 other teams couldn’t convince him to play out his existing contract but somehow the Jets did?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Pretty sure he said he would show up and would be happy. Why would the Jets do anything for a guy who actually isn't a Jet

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

I like the idea of trying to cut our losses on Reddick and freeing up the cap space for an eventual run at Davante

Reddick counts 750K against our cap this year.  There is no savings cutting him.  We can simply put him in disco boots and let him swing in a raised jail cell with a disco light and Doobie Brothers tunes playing 24/7.

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Reddick counts 750K against our cap this year.  There is no savings cutting him.  We can simply put him in disco boots and let him swing in a raised jail cell with a disco light and Dobbie Brothers tunes playing 24/7.

tenor.gif?itemid=4425290

1 hour ago, OilfieldJet said:

It’s not zero right now. He loses money every day and if he doesn’t play loses the season and the Jets still own him. He has zero leverage when he can no longer play.

Or he can take his 51 million in career earnings invest it in Bitcoin and Power Ball lottery tickets.  Travel the world, retire to a private island and still have his brains and health for the rest of his life. 

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Reddick counts 750K against our cap this year.  There is no savings cutting him.  We can simply put him in disco boots and let him swing in a raised jail cell with a disco light and Dobbie Brothers tunes playing 24/7.

The Dobby Brothers?

AJIvXisLLfP8HfRgQxxo12KQdLTBQIN7JW-U5kRb

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If he reports his cap number goes up, correct?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Doobie Brothers maybe?

• Upvote 1