New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

15 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

So basically he got 14 + signing bonus 15 mil per 30 mil guaranteed of the remaing 45 mil. That equals 60 mil or 20 mil per year. he took his signing bonus plus his first year pay and made 30 mil for the first year . Im not sure how much of the 30 mil Guar Applied to each year but basically this guy wanted to play for 30 mil then walk oout on the remainder of his contract. **** him classless piece of sh*t

No. He got ~$30MM over his first two seasons in Philadelphia. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’d say the signs of him being a flake were identifiable prior to trading for him.

Probably is a flake but his agents are doing him a disservice. I think the Jets would have bumped him up to 20 with incentives making that possible plus the option of auditiioning for your next contract with the Jets or someone else and now hes destroyed that and no one is going to want to deal with this POS

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

from your sources would the Jets have been willing to give him a 2 year deal?  Or was it always going to be a 1 year bump.

wonder if a 2 year 40mm would have got him to play (assuming like 30mm was guaranteed)

What’s still not answerable is why the Jets just didn’t tag Huff to avoid all of this. They didn’t use the tag on anyone else and it’s there for these exact situations. Now the Jets are down two players because of them undervaluing Huff and relying on a player who’s a flake and told Philly he wanted a new deal or else he’s not playing. With a 40 year old QB on a year to year playing basis.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Probably is a flake but his agents are doing him a disservice. I think the Jets would have bumped him up to 20 with incentives making that possible plus the option of auditiioning for your next contract with the Jets or someone else and now hes destroyed that and no one is going to want to deal with this POS

You know who could clear that up? The Jets. The season is starting. The negotiating window and leverage plays is over. 

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

how is that possible ? what happened to his signing bonus ?

The signing bonus was the bulk of his compensation that year. It was $14MM signing bonus + $1MM base salary ($15MM total); not $14MM signing bonus + another $15MM in base salary. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

The signing bonus was the bulk of his compensation that year. It was $14MM signing bonus + $1MM base salary ($15MM total); not $14MM signing bonus + another $15MM in base salary. 

Yep just realized that so then I go back to the fact he signed a terrible contract based on the market value at the time ...too bad for him 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I keep popping in to see if "Hasaan Reddick reports" is a thread, but nope. Season starts tonight. Not wasting another moment of thought on the dude. He can go eat a bag of dix and sit for the year, and we'll get to **** HIM over next year when this whole thing kicks back up. ENjoy the couch, Haas. Its been real, ya dope. 

We totally believe you won’t spend another second thinking bout Reddick.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Yep just realized that so then I go back to the fact he signed a terrible contract based on the market value at the time ...too bad for him 

And the Jets decided to absorb that problem, (hopefully) knowing he wasn’t playing on that below market deal. Or maybe they didn’t read the fine print.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

And the Jets decided to absorb that problem, (hopefully) knowing he wasn’t playing on that below market deal. Or maybe they didn’t read the fine print.

Matt Im sure the Jets talked to Reddick Im not so sure they went into this blind with no assurance of getting it done. Im also sure Reddick made no mention of a holdout. Its an all around scumbag move to a new team knowing they gave up a 3rd round pick for you. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Matt Im sure the Jets talked to Reddick Im not so sure they went into this blind with no assurance of getting it done. Im also sure Reddick made no mention of a holdout. It’s an all around scumbag move to a new team knowing they gave up a 3rd round pick for you. 

He was clear before the trade he wanted a new contract. He’s a goofball and likely ruining his career. The Jets knowingly brought on/absorbed this problem for reasons that really make you shake your head when they held Huffs rights via the franchise tag and he’d certainly be in uniform on Monday night rushing the passer for the Jets. This has been a total swing and a miss on both ends- Huff and Reddick, worst case scenario.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GangGreened said:

I get the vibe this guy only wants to play on a multi year deal no matter what

If he continues on this course, he'll be playing on one year prove-it deals for the rest of his NFL days.

No GM is going to risk giving a multi-year deal to this guy, just so he can stage another holdout, a year or two later.

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Meh, other than the swicheroo he seems to have played after agreeing to play with or without his contract getting addressed (and with the knowledge that Douglas said he's not considering a real extension until maybe sometime midseason)? It's kinda douchey, but mostly he's harmed himself more than the team. So I'm not hating on him so much -- he dared the team to let him sit out the season and they're calling his bluff (at least so far). 

My only objection would be if the team gave him a notable bump by $3-5MM AND also another bump to cover his mandatory fines. I could see one or the other ($18-20MM for the season), but not both (upwards of $25MM for the season) when the trade was based on him playing at $14.5MM plus a bit of a bump over whatever initial bump-offer he turned down from Douglas in April.

He's really painted himself into a corner. Either he's gotten bad advice from his agent, or his agent gave him good advice (do a hold-in not a holdout) and he disregarded it. Only he and the agent know which it is.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

So basically he got 14 + signing bonus 15 mil per 30 mil guaranteed of the remaing 45 mil. That equals 60 mil or 20 mil per year. he took his signing bonus plus his first year pay and made 30 mil for the first year . Im not sure how much of the 30 mil Guar Applied to each year but basically this guy wanted to play for 30 mil then walk oout on the remainder of his contract. **** him classless piece of sh*t

Good for him.  Let him maximize his earnings.  It's his career, not ours.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

He was clear before the trade he wanted a new contract. He’s a goofball and likely ruining his career. The Jets knowingly brought on/absorbed this problem for reasons that really make you shake your head when they held Huffs rights via the franchise tag and he’d certainly be in uniform on Monday night rushing the passer for the Jets. This has been a total swing and a miss on both ends- Huff and Reddick, worst case scenario.

Joe Douglas got too cute and preferred Reddick at $15M for a 3rd vs Huff at $20M on the franchise tag. It's worth noting that Huff didn't want to be here, either.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The likeliest answer is the GM made an impulsive trade without thinking everything through. 

It’s a 3d round pick like 2 years from now.   It’s a good trade.  The player said he would report. 

at least now folks know jd is not caving on hold outs. 

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

You know who could clear that up? The Jets. The season is starting. The negotiating window and leverage plays is over. 

So, you should just bend over backward every time a player throws a tantrum?  Not a very sound business tactic.

He has ZERO leverage here.  If he sits out the whole year, then he gets to throw another tantrum or just play the season out for the Jets.  The only one getting hurt here is Reddick.  Not sure his agent is doing what is best for him.   

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

It’s a 3d round pick like 2 years from now.   It’s a good trade.  The player said he would report. 

at least now folks know jd is not caving on hold outs. 

Well, it does SOUND like a good trade to me, too. The fact that 31 other teams passed on it does make me wonder, though.

8 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

So, you should just bend over backward every time a player throws a tantrum?  Not a very sound business tactic.

He has ZERO leverage here.  If he sits out the whole year, then he gets to throw another tantrum or just play the season out for the Jets.  The only one getting hurt here is Reddick.  Not sure his agent is doing what is best for him.   

I don’t know if there’s anything to do at this point. It’s a screw up all around.

Exactly, Reddick could've reported and his agent probably could’ve convinced JD to throw s few more bucks and incentives his way to keep him happy for this season. Reddick’s leverage was to play out his contract, have a great high profile year in a large media market and become a free agent for 2025. The only way this makes sense for Reddick is if he believes he is going to have a crap year and i don’t believe that is the case. Basically he is not smart at “business” and his agent is committing professional malpractice.

• Upvote 1

He with missing this games check has officially made it to where if we paid him enough to erase his fines (which I don't think we do). He would be getting around 21mill this year. Making him a top 10 highest paid DE. And the oldest of the group. Next oldest is TJ Watt and Reddick isn't as good as him.

Kid at this point (yes kid bc no grown @ss man would be as dumb as he is right now). If and when he reports and every day the FO gets more pissed at him bc he's less valuable the less games he plays for you. Is playing for a fraction of what he's worth. And that's now his fault. He reports after the game Monday (which I doubt he does). His gross salary this year is 9mill. Putting him well outside being a top 20 paid Edge like he was at 15mill. That 9mill number goes down close to 800k weekly for him.

No only when the players are good and you have a SB roster.  See KC last year and SF this year.

Player situations and team situations change every year.   Business tactics change every year based on salary cap and your teams situation.  Business tactics in the NFL is not static.

13 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Matt Im sure the Jets talked to Reddick Im not so sure they went into this blind with no assurance of getting it done. Im also sure Reddick made no mention of a holdout. It’s an all around scumbag move to a new team knowing they gave up a 3rd round pick for you. 

Why is it a scumbag move?  He’s not playing football for the Jets and the Jets aren’t paying him to not play football for the Jets.  Seems amazingly reasonable.