New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Overpaying a tagged player for one season in a win now year where the coach and GM will be gone if they don’t win seemed like a no brainer. Especially a pass rusher. 

That is as far from a "no brainer" as you can get, especially when the guys market value was well below the franchise tag amount. It's only a no brainer to a no brainer.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

Except Philly were willing to give him a multiyear deal when we considered him to be a very good one-dimensional DE but not a full time player.  Time will tell which side was correct on that one.

JJ and McDonald on the ends now.

So many younger/deserving guys about to need contracts.

A one dimensional DE was not a priority imo.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

I'm guessing that both Wilson and Sauce will be looking for 4 year deals around 140 million each with roughly 100 plus guaranteed.  We probably will also need another starting QB.  Could get interesting.   

The current highest average salary for a CB is 21M for Jaire Alexander. No, Sauce won't be looking for 35M per year.

Wilson ... well, that depends what he does this year, and also whether he wants to sign an extension before his 4th year or wait until his option year. The current highest AAV for WRs is Jefferson at 35 (followed by Lamb at 34, Brown at 32, and St. Brown and Hill at 30. St. Brown is actually a good comp for Wilson, and he'll probably be looking for money in the 30-34 range. The earlier he's willing to sign, the lower that dollar figure will be. If he wants full top-of-market money, he'll need to play out year 4 on his rookie deal to get it.

3 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Why would they have tagged Huff for 21.3M when Huff couldn't get to 18M as a FA? He's a good player, don't get me wrong. But the angst over losing a rotational DE is a bit much

No. It doesn't. He's on the team, he'll be their FA. 

It's pretty simple; barring an injury or terrible play this season, he'll get north of 20M per in average annual value next offseason; those contracts for an exiting FA get you third round comp picks in 2026 if you're a net loser of FAs in the 2025 offseason. The Jets' roster of impending FAs is deep and will include multiple veterans who get big enough deals from other teams to count in the formula if they don't resign here. Aside from Reddick:

DJ Reed, Carter, Mike Williams, Kinlaw, Conklin, Tyron Smith, Moses, Sherwood, Clark, Solomon Thomas, and Echols would probably all qualify, and Davis, Fotu, Oliver, Schweitzer, and potentially McKinley at least might. Of course, that would leave a lot of holes to fill, so the Jets aren't going to let all those guys walk. But they've done a pretty decent job building depth behind them.

At least one of Moses or Smith will be let go (to make room for Olu in the starting lineup) without needing a replacement.  They look like they're setting up to replace Reed in-house (with JBC or Stiggers), along with Echols (whichever of those two doesn't end up starting). Schweitzer likely gets replaced by Xavier Newman, Sherwood by Surratt if he leaves. They're hoping Ruckert shows enough this season that they can pencil him in as the starting TE next year, but even if not, if they end up with 6 qualifying FA defections that aren't replaced by external FAs (Reddick, Smith, Sherwood, Reed, Carter, Schweitzer) they'll be in very good shape to be getting 2026 comp picks. And if that's how that works out, they'll have gotten however many weeks of service from Reddick this year at the cost of a trade down in the 2026 third round.

That's the plan, anyway; we'll see how it survives reality.

And there you have it (bolded) — Reddick figures he’ll get paid north of 20M annually on a multi year deal next year either way. The only way he doesn’t is if he a) get injured this year or b) plays poorly this year. And the only way he’ll get more money next year is to c) show up and play at a superstar level. So, while option C is obviously the best for him, options A and B are real possibilities, and even after forfeiting millions this year, he’d still probably do as well or better if he just waits. He obviously isn’t confident that he’ll stay healthy AND play really well, or he’d be here. So, he figures by not being here, he’s at worst probably not losing much, and is ensuring he doesn’t get a major injury and miss out entirely on his big payday. 

Of course, if he doesn’t play at all, his contract doesn’t toll, and he doesn’t get to FA next season. Which is why he’ll show up before game 6. That gives him a shortened season to play well (last year he only played well for the first 10 games or so anyway, then seemed to run out of gas … so he probably figures that is about the right amount of games for him … plus it’s 6 or 7 fewer games to get hurt). 

Really, it makes some sense financially for him to wait this out, unless he feels highly confident he’ll put up outstanding play through a full season. It’s kind of the opposite of the player who opts to bet on himself by showing he’s underestimated. He’s showing he feels he’s overestimated, and betting that there are teams next offseason that won’t figure that out and will pay him on a high dollar multi year deal.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The current highest average salary for a CB is 21M for Jaire Alexander. No, Sauce won't be looking for 35M per year.

Wilson ... well, that depends what he does this year, and also whether he wants to sign an extension before his 4th year or wait until his option year. The current highest AAV for WRs is Jefferson at 35 (followed by Lamb at 34, Brown at 32, and St. Brown and Hill at 30. St. Brown is actually a good comp for Wilson, and he'll probably be looking for money in the 30-34 range. The earlier he's willing to sign, the lower that dollar figure will be. If he wants full top-of-market money, he'll need to play out year 4 on his rookie deal to get it.

I believe the CB market will be drastically reset and Sauce will be the guy to do it.  The CB market was reset in 2022.  The NFL salary cap is almost 50 million more this year than 22.  It will be more next year.  Wilson will get Jefferson money and so will Sauce.  Sauce is going to break the bank and reset the CB market.  The WR market was reset this year.  Not the CB market.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Let me just say if you hit 65 and you have anywhere close to 10Million in savings you should be fine into your 90's living a very nice life.

He probably does have other income.  Yes many pro-athlets blow all the money they get.  Many of them have horrific health issues that drain a lot of money.  If you're not a pig, get some decent advise or read a couple of good financial books and get out with your health you have enough money to live a great life.  You can also use your position as a pro-athlete to leverage other opportunities.

Reddick isn't finanacially forced to do anything.  That said most people are greedy and can't walk away.  There aren't a lot of Barry Sanders out there who leave in their prime.  

He earned over 8 million dollars at 23 years old from his rookie deal.  He got a huge windfall the last 3 years earning 38 million.  We should all be doing that well. 

I'm guessing if you make 250K over 40 years that's 10 million total earnings you're probably doing okay even after taxes.  

None of that really matters.  It's just the idea that he's somehow obligated to play football for the Jets on his current deal.  He's not obligated to do that at all. 

Reddick will retire at 35, not 65.

And while I agree with you that he likely has plenty of money to live a “great” life if he has invested wisely, there are degrees of “great”. You seem to imply it makes little difference to him whether he retires with $25M or north of $50M in the bank — and that’s just innaccurate. The difference in lifestyle is substantial.

• WTF? 1

20 minutes ago, Frankie Green said:

Ppl act like JJ is Gholston or something. Jets will generate pressure. 

JJ is good so long as the refs aren't allowing him to get held 🫠

They need someone on the other side who can play all 3 downs though until McD proves himself

McD is slotted to fill the "obvious passing downs" Huff role

Takk is a nice story, but not sure he can fill Reddick's shoes

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I believe the CB market will be drastically reset and Sauce will be the guy to do it.  The CB market was reset in 2022.  The NFL salary cap is almost 50 million more this year than 22.  It will be more next year.  Wilson will get Jefferson money and so will Sauce.  Sauce is going to break the bank and reset the CB market.  The WR market was reset this year.  Not the CB market.

Wilson will get paid in the range that Lamb and Jefferson are.

Sauce, I think, will not. The highest AAV in history for a defensive player is Aaron Donald with around $31m, IIRC. I don't even think Sauce will get that. Usually a market reset equates to around a $3-4m raise over the highest existing contract at a given position, which would be around $25m in Gardner's case. That feels about right - let's say, 4yr, $100m, $68m guaranteed.

It'd be shocking if the jets went much above that, I don't think Douglas will. Sauce really doesn't have a case that he's a game changer who deserves to reset the market by over $10m, he's a great player and could be one of the GOAT corners but he's not transcendent to the point of becoming the highest paid defender ever. Especially when he's not a DL. Even Aaron Donald, a player who redefined the DT position, didn't reset the market by over $10m. I don't think that's ever happened. 

Edit: seems my brain was slightly behind the times, Bosa now makes $34m AAV. Nonetheless, I don't think Sauce is making it that high. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

That is as far from a "no brainer" as you can get, especially when the guys market value was well below the franchise tag amount. It's only a no brainer to a no brainer.

Considering the QB is 40- Are the Jets a better team with Huff on the roster this season?

No- brainer. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, EM31 said:

And yet we sit here with a consensus top-3 roster in the NFL.  How does that work again?

Maybe it doesn’t

BUT

both can be true 

Good on paper roster + drama every Joe Douglas offseason 

idk maybe I’m crazy 

Joe Douglas is bad at his job it's that simple 

I disagree.

The reddick trade was for a third round pick two years in the future. It was literally peanuts.

Huff is no great player, and either is Riddick, everyone is going completely insane over a small marginal player in an otherwise very good defense.

This is a non issue and means nothing in terms of wins and losses this year or next.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

After earning $50mil, and being aligned with one of the best agencies out there?
With what has happened in the stock market and with real estate pricing during the tenure of his career, you think that’s his entire net worth?

50mm is 25mm after taxes.

I am sure he's bought his mom a car/house etc.  his car is pretty cool looking, my guess is cost him a lot.

plus, he's had to live for 7-8 years.

So he probably has more than $10 - but less than $20mm.

his agency has screwed him big time several times.  

3 minutes ago, funaz said:

I disagree.

The reddick trade was for a third round pick two years in the future. It was literally peanuts.

Huff is no great player, and either is Riddick, everyone is going completely insane over a small marginal player in an otherwise very good defense.

This is a non issue and means nothing in terms of wins and losses this year or next.

The quarterback is 40 years old. The Jets window is minuscule. This is not a long term projection outlook here- everything is in on 2024. They held the rights to Huff with the tag as a worst case scenario. Overpaying for a pass rusher on a one year deal in a season that needs to be successful- why not?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's one of the great mysteries of the universe, lol.

Maybe/probably he felt it sent a stronger message on his resolve to fully hold out than hold in, I guess. On paper it seems that's really stupid unless the player is totally irreplaceable, has the team by the short hairs, has a low base salary so the fines don't add up nearly as much, and that in the end he is 95% likely to not just get a bump, but enough of a bump to make the holdout-fine millions look like a rounding error. Also it can be argued it's an even bigger every-day distraction/reminder if he's standing there and not participating than if he's totally absent.

Either that or he thought Douglas was bluffing and arguing from a weaker point - after trading away JFM - when he said he's not doing crap with his deal until he's with the team. Everyone can see Reddick's elite sack-stats, but even at his obvious talent and production level he's bounced around from team to team and his prior playoff/super bowl team was willing to replace him with a guy who wasn't even a starter on a Jets team that already was without their planned starter (Lawson), so it's not unreasonable to see if Reddick's just an elite pass rushing douche, who has personality issues that'll surface in the clubhouse, and who ignores instructions from the DC so he can get his sacks in because that's what gets him his pro bowl votes and stats-incentive bonuses.

If I'm a GM I want to see that firsthand (or have the coach tell me about it) before locking myself into the guy for 2-3 years when it's this kind of money and when I know I've got 4-5 long-term young starters - ones I've drafted with my high picks, which is always a bigger reflection on my job as GM (in particular with the Becton/Zach whiffs) - whose contracts will start to need addressing between the following spring and the end of the season in Sauce, Wilson, JJII, Breece, and AVT. Then in addition to them, I have to make decisions on one of 2024's opening day starters at tackle in T.Smith and Moses; Reed and/or MCII, Kinlaw, Mike Williams, Conklin, and my top 3 safeties Davis/Clark/Adams are all UFAs next year, too. Then there's the other thing he's surely crossing his fingers over, which is that his own '23 first rounder makes everyone shrug off losing Huff and never coming to terms with Reddick.

Everyone wants Reddick with the team and playing hard. Everyone. Want doesn't equal need, though. They have a zillion healthy and hungry first rounders on the DL without him, and a distant-future 3rd round pick the team could still yet recoup or easily replace isn't going to make any GM flinch. 

agree 100% with this post.

a hold in - the jets wanted him in the building, hold in more cost effective for him, more distracting etc.  so wierd.

he seems like a reasonable guy from what i read of prior to the hold out.  but maybe he's a jerk at the facilities.

there is no way JD can cave here otherwise we have so many guys up for new contracts.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

Huff isn't worth what the franchise tag would have cost us. No-brainer. 

Worth kind of goes out the window when it’s a one year deal and the QB is 40 and the GM has to win. Tagging Huff this year would have zero ramifications long term. Unless you think the Jets are a better team with him off the roster entirely?

• More Ugh 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Worth kind of goes out the window when it’s a one year deal and the QB is 40 and the GM has to win. Tagging Huff this year would have zero ramifications long term. Unless you think the Jets are a better team with him off the roster entirely?

This is why you are not a GM.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The quarterback is 40 years old. The Jets window is minuscule. This is not a long term projection outlook here- everything is in on 2024. They held the rights to Huff with the tag as a worst case scenario. Overpaying for a pass rusher on a one year deal in a season that needs to be successful- why not?

Every year we see otherwise great teams get boned late in the season when they either can’t get a pressure on a crucial third down or their QB gets rushed on a critical play late in a game. That’s why teams pay dudes like Von Miller and Hasson Reddick. That the Jets want to quibble over a few mil for this guy—who they traded for specifically to win them games in December and January—is absurd.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, funaz said:

I disagree.

I'm not here to litigate the Joe Douglas thing any further (his record is what it is) but you're perfectly okay with giving away a "third round pick two years in the future" for :: checks notes :: ..... literally nothing?

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Every year we see otherwise great teams get boned late in the season when they either can’t get a pressure on a crucial third down or their QB gets rushed on a critical play late in a game. That’s why teams pay dudes like Von Miller and Hasson Reddick. That the Jets want to quibble over a few mil for this guy—who they traded for specifically to win them games in December and January—is absurd.

I still don’t get how this isn’t ironed out prior to the deal. If Reddick was committed to playing on his current deal, he’d still be in Philly. The Eagles understood this, targeted Huff as a must get, and then dumped Reddick. Coincidentally on the Jets. 

No ones confusing Huff with LT but he’s a good enough edge rusher who you held the rights to. Seems like someone to just kick the can the road on when a long term deal wasn’t in the works.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

27 million invested in a conservative portfolio earning 5% per year would generate roughly 11 million in 7 years.  He's likely to be able to live like a millionaire into he's 90's and have a balance of over 100 million at death.  

You could retire at birth and live a great life if someone left you 27 million.

wrong in so many ways.  for one, this excludes living expenses.  in his first 4 years he made 7mm approx after tax/agents/union.  he bought mom an house/car and he bought himself a car and probably a house also.   My guess is he has at most 2mm saved from that time.  the one year at the panthers was 3mm after tax.  maybe 2mm max.  that's 4mm.  

so he's really only had the 15mm (30mm over 2 years post tax/fees) for the past 2 years.   So maybe 1mm per year in investment income. 

i don't see how he didn't spend at least 2mm per year over the last two years.   that leaves him with $12-13MM.

27 minutes ago, funaz said:

I disagree.

While I tend to disagree that it is a non-issue (want/need as many good players available as possible) I do agree people are overstating his impact.  To wit the line today is Jets +3.5.  If Reddick walks in tomorrow absolutely raring to go the line will stay at +3.5.  Same with the seasonal wins total.  

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

winning pays the same as losing 

in fact it might pay better

the Jets are somehow a top 5 team in market value despite being a bottom 5 team in actual performance 

you don't think maybe being in nyc area has a impact on market value lol

If Joe Douglas caved/caves you can kiss Sauce Gardner, Garrett Wilson, Jermaine Johnson, Michael Carter, and others goodbye, which I can guarantee everyone would cry about.  The breakdown of what happened re: this trade and who is to blame for the holdout is very simple:
- The Jets always viewed this as a one year deal but were willing to, basically, fully guarantee Reddick’s contract for this season as long as he showed up for every workout and activity.
- Reddick, seemingly, agreed to this, said so in his introductory press conference, and was primed to be here.
- At some point (probably when the Jets moved JFM during the draft) Reddick decided he was tired of the under market 1-year deals that his agent was negotiating for him and flipped the script.  For reasons that don’t follow any semblance of logic, his agent, Tory Dandy, thought this would be a great idea and the holdout began.
- They thought the Jets would cave or trade him, Douglas dropped his statement and eliminated all chances of Reddick playing anywhere but the Jets (sans a mega trade) this season, so now they’ve gone and cost themselves an enormous amount of money.  Apparently, they’ve now established that doubling down on bad decisions and cutting their noses to spite their faces is their next course of action.
- Even if Reddick turns this into a “hold-in” to avoid his contract tolling, he’s destroyed his reputation and will have to sell himself to another team on him still being an elite pass rusher at 31, coming off an “injury”, with a bad attitude.  If Dandy and Reddick think they’re going to get a long-term $25-mil. per year contract with that negotiating tactic, they’re out of their minds.

don’t hurt yourself with this reach

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  This is a good defense with or without Reddick but a substantively better one with him.  And I think you'll agree you want to field the best team you can.  Having an impact edge rusher is actually a pretty big deal.  

I think most understand that - but the frustration, for me, is how Joe has handled the situation.  Figure it the F out and get the guy in house. I mean last report was they haven't spoken since June, that's insane in an all-in year.  Joe needs to take the L if you has to right now - but if we want to be a serious organization with a serious eyes on a legitimate Super Bowl then you find a way.  

your position basically causes the Jets years of pain with Sauce, wilson, hall etc.

thankfully JD is handling this correctly, even to his own potential detriment. 

• Bronx changed the title to Rule him out Roberto!