NFL FOOTBALL IS SO BACK Chiefs/Ravens

The Chiefs and Ravens draft and develop so well

Mahomes, L-Jax, Creed Humphrey, Likely, Linderbaum, Sneed (traded to TEN), Kyle Hamilton, etc.

There are misses as well but the hit ratio is still good 

And they aren’t afraid to move on from the busts after a year or 2 when it’s clearly not working out (Skyy Moore)

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Chiefs and Ravens draft and develop so well it’s sick 

Mahomes, L-Jax, Creed Humphrey, Likely, Linderbaum, Sneed (traded to TEN), Kyle Hamilton, etc.

There are misses as well but the hit ratio is still good 

And they aren’t afraid to move on from the busts after a year or 2 when it’s clearly not working out (Skyy Moore)

You could've just stopped at "Mahomes, L-Jax".

• Haha 1

IIRC the Jets took Ruckert over Likely

I mean how much were they influenced by the hometown kid angle because Likely just moves differently 

He literally looks as fluid as a WR out there

And looking like a beast blocking doesn’t hurt either 

Meanwhile Ruckert hasn’t even been able to get on the field 

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You could've just stopped at "Mahomes, L-Jax".

Lamar is an interesting case.  I can't figure out if BAL developed him or if they just roll with who he is.  Clearly he's the best scrambling QB in the league and likely all-time.

But as a passer, he is so hot and cold and it holds them back.  His stats are pretty good on paper, but it just doesn't seem to translate to those critical moments, particularly in clutch moments and playoffs. 

That miss on a wide open Flowers in the end zone last night is a perfect example.  In another year or three when he is no longer able to run like he does now, will he just be Derek Carr?

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

IIRC the Jets took Ruckert over Likely

I mean how much were they influenced by the hometown kid angle because Likely just moves differently 

He literally looks as fluid as a WR out there

And looking like a beast blocking doesn’t hurt either 

Meanwhile Ruckert hasn’t even been able to get on the field 

Apart from Flowers , Ravens offense revolves around running & TE. Jets offense doesn’t. 3rd year for JR. Needs to start making plays 

Ah here we are, the start of the season and the famous week 1 over analyzing and week to week overactions are officially here!  I'd go through and excavate the lot of you and your horrible takes but it's tiresome at this point, so I'll leave you with thoughts;

The Ravens continue to fail Lamar Jackson.  Having Zay Flowers as the only option at WR is truly damning.  While I appreciate the Derrick Henry signing, he's shot and they've once again treated the RB position like it has aids.  When you compare Mahomes weapons vs. Lamar's,  it's laughable and that was w/ Hollywood Brown sidelined.  This is why Lamar is always going to be top 3 voting in MVP...he literally has to carry that team, night in, night out.  It's criminal negligence.  The Steelers will win that division when they let Fields take over.

Week 1 means nothing but if that's the Chiefs team we're going to see all season, they're going to win 3 straight Super Bowls and the only team that can stop is the Jets or the Steelers.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Ah here we are, the start of the season and the famous week 1 over analyzing and week to week overactions are officially here!  I'd go through and excavate the lot of you and your horrible takes but it's tiresome at this point, so I'll leave you with thoughts;

The Ravens continue to fail Lamar Jackson.  Having Zay Flowers as the only option at WR is truly damning.  While I appreciate the Derrick Henry signing, he's shot and they've once again treated the RB position like it has aids.  When you compare Mahomes weapons vs. Lamar's,  it's laughable and that was w/ Hollywood Brown sidelined.  This is why Lamar is always going to be top 3 voting in MVP...he literally has to carry that team, night in, night out.  It's criminal negligence.  The Steelers will win that division when they let Fields take over.

Week 1 means nothing but if that's the Chiefs team we're going to see all season, they're going to win 3 straight Super Bowls and the only team that can stop is the Jets or the Steelers.

I don't know that I woulda agree than Henry is shot.  He was still very productive on a bad team last year.  But the Ravens need to get their OL sorted out and use him well.

Regarding Lamar, he might just be one of those QBs who looks really good losing close games.  Good enough you feel you have to pay him $50M/year so you can contend every year but never get the brass ring.  

47 minutes ago, Bronx said:

It's the confidence-boosting algorithm for the less endowed. 

Says the guy who builds a twelve foot cinder block bunker around his swimming pool so nobody can see his shriveled Wang in his veggie wrap Speedo when he takes his 3 mile morning swim! 

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Apart from Flowers , Ravens offense revolves around running & TE. Jets offense doesn’t. 3rd year for JR. Needs to start making plays 

It should revolve around the running game and TE, but IMO it revolves around Lamar playing hero ball.  Last night, Lamar threw 41 times, ran 16 and was sacked once.  58 offensive plays were on him to make the play.  Derrick Henry carried 5 times on the opening TD drive and only got 8 more carries the rest of the game.  Justice Hill, the other RB had 1 carry.

Maybe some of that had to do with the OL struggles yesterday, but it was similar in the AFCCG when the OL was better and still his RBs got a total of 8 carries.  The weapons on the outside are not great, but they have to find ways to lessen the load on Lamar and get other guys involved. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I don't know that I woulda agree than Henry is shot.  He was still very productive on a bad team last year.  But the Ravens need to get their OL sorted out and use him well.

Regarding Lamar, he might just be one of those QBs who looks really good losing close games.  Good enough you feel you have to pay him $50M/year so you can contend every year but never get the brass ring.  

I remember people saying similar things about John Elway and Peyton Manning, and then, they won rings.

The last 2 times I watched Lamar play, he led comeback drives vs. the best team/defense in the NFL and in this game of inches, Lamar did all he could (granted I think he missed a big throw last night) but Flowers fumbling at the goal line in the AFC champ game and now Likely not being able to get his foot a pubic hair further away from the line....and their could be a totally different narrative here regarding Lamar.  Idk, it's pretty obvious to me the Ravens fail Lamar time and time again, not the other way around.  There is a reason he's the youngest player in NFL history to win 2 MVP's.  No team is more dependent on their QB then the Ravens but I'm not going to beat this dead horse and revisit these silly takes I've demolished over the years.  I'll do what I always do, let time prove me right.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Lamar is an interesting case.  I can't figure out if BAL developed him or if they just roll with who he is.  Clearly he's the best scrambling QB in the league and likely all-time.

But as a passer, he is so hot and cold and it holds them back.  His stats are pretty good on paper, but it just doesn't seem to translate to those critical moments, particularly in clutch moments and playoffs. 

That miss on a wide open Flowers in the end zone last night is a perfect example.  In another year or three when he is no longer able to run like he does now, will he just be Derek Carr?

My guess is they rolled with what he is.  And they also lucked into getting him (he fell to pick 32).  His scrambling ability is definitely his superpower and if he ever loses that he won't be the same player.  IIRC, the Ravens led the NFL in rushing last year and Lamar was their leading rusher.  The crazy thing to me is how, in last night's game, they seemed to design runs for him where he was fighting for extra yardage, rather than just running out of bounds.  I have no idea what they're thinking risking their franchise player like that.  He's not built like Josh Allen. 

While maybe he does run hot and cold, I do think you can win a SB with him.  They were very close to turning that game around on KC in the playoffs last year.  Same thing for last night.  As long as Lamar is in his prime (and I'm amazed at how long he has been, given how much he runs), Baltimore is a threat to beat anybody. 

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

5 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I remember people saying similar things about John Elway and Peyton Manning, and then, they won rings.

The last 2 times I watched Lamar play, he led comeback drives vs. the best team/defense in the NFL and in this game of inches, Lamar did all he could (granted I think he missed a big throw last night) but Flowers fumbling at the goal line in the AFC champ game and now Likely not being able to get his foot a pubic hair further away from the line....and their could be a totally different narrative here regarding Lamar.  Idk, it's pretty obvious to me the Ravens fail Lamar time and time again, not the other way around.  There is a reason he's the youngest player in NFL history to win 2 MVP's.  No team is more dependent on their QB then the Ravens but I'm not going to beat this dead horse and revisit these silly takes I've demolished over the years.  I'll do what I always do, let time prove me right.

Lamar Jackson is the only QB to ever a miss a TD throw, I'm aware.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

It should revolve around the running game and TE, but IMO it revolves around Lamar playing hero ball.  Last night, Lamar threw 41 times, ran 16 and was sacked once.  58 offensive plays were on him to make the play.  Derrick Henry carried 5 times on the opening TD drive and only got 8 more carries the rest of the game.  Justice Hill, the other RB had 1 carry.

Maybe some of that had to do with the OL struggles yesterday, but it was similar in the AFCCG when the OL was better and still his RBs got a total of 8 carries.  The weapons on the outside are not great, but they have to find ways to lessen the load on Lamar and get other guys involved. 

Lamar was very unsettled in the pocket; moving around more than he needed. He’d start to run, then the hole closes and he had probably 5-6 crazy jump throws that were nowhere near the receiver. I thought his accuracy got better last year but his mechanics are terrible. 

Mahomes and Chris Jones being in his head doesn’t help either 

Monken is an excellent OC

He knows his OL is young and wouldn’t be able to hold up vs KC so he designed a ton of quick game 

Unlike Gase and Hack though, he tried to come up with creative ways to get to the same plays, like faking handoff to Henry and then throwing to Flowers on the same side to use Henry as a blocker in a convoy 

He also went heavy a ton with 2 TE sets to keep Likely on the field 

Teams talk about this all the time but never do it 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The memes can be funny

But I think he saw Flowers too late and his timing was also affected by the fact he was rolling to his right trying to avoid a sack while throwing  across his body 

Mahomes makes it look so easy with how he sees the field and anticipates guys being where they end up 

He makes it look so easy so fans assume it actually is 

It’s not as if he planted his back foot in rhythm on a 3 step drop and missed a wide open receiver for the tie / win

49 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Lamar was very unsettled in the pocket; moving around more than he needed. He’d start to run, then the hole closes and he had probably 5-6 crazy jump throws that were nowhere near the receiver. I thought his accuracy got better last year but his mechanics are terrible. 

Mahomes and Chris Jones being in his head doesn’t help either 

yeah they really shoudl have leaned into the run game, you can do all the other stuff but with henry punishing the other team in 5 yard chucks..

Lesson learned for me in fantasy football / best ball circles:

Really really just always go for the upside 

I loved Likely, the talent and production in limited opportunity, but never considered the possibility that Andrews would look washed and lose his primary role in the passing game 

always always bet on talent, especially talent in dynamic offenses 

I own some Likely shares but not nearly enough 😂

• Upvote 1