In Defense Of Robert Saleh

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

To simply keep his job saleh doesn’t have to be a stud coach.  He needs to win enough games.  If you give a guy like harbaugh this roster he should be able to eke out 10 wins and a wc birth.  If you can’t beat Tenn, denver and NE at home and minny in london, you don’t deserve to be a hc in the nfl anymore.  If nothing else, these next 6 games or so will show us what happens this offseason.  B/c even if they’re doing well and then rodgers is out for the year again, rodgers may say ok i tried, I’m gone, and then what?  Would woody really keep saleh again if the team fades with taylor?  Can’t imagine.  Would he let douglas draft another qb?  Maybe, more likely douglas stays than saleh.  But i just want some resolution to this situation. 

imo either hairball would've been able to eke out 9 or 10 wins with last season's team.  this team really needs to show something over these next 4 games.  these should all be winnable on paper and in reality.  can you imagine getting beat by darnold, nix (or maybe zach) or whomever the patsies and titans going to throw at them?  if anyone thinks the niner game was bad any loses over this next four will be a lot worse.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jamesr said:

Surely you haven't forgotten that he beat BILL BELICHICK at the end of last year? One of the best HCs of all time??? :D  

If I were to point the finger at one thing that made the biggest difference on Monday I'd say it was coaching. Shanny game planned, schemed and adjusted better than we did. Far better. He saw what was working, and what wasn't, and kept doing it. We didn't seem to do anything to adjust. I think this goes back to the comment earlier that we play how we play every week, there isn't a different plan. It's who we are - and this week it didn't work.

I don't believe we lacked the talent to win that game. I believe we lacked the ability to deploy that talent to win that game.

I agree with what you wrote but I'd add one major point to that.  I think Shanny did an outstanding job preparing his team for the game while Robert "it's not a problem" Saleh was asleep at the switch.  SF looked so much sharper than we did.  To me, that is 100% on the CS.

And it's stuff like this that REALLY makes me question how well Saleh will have us prepared for a playoff game, (should we finally manage to make it).

I already had all of these doubts about him going into the SF game, btw.  It's just that nothing that happened changed my mind at all.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

On 9/12/2024 at 7:08 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree with what you wrote but I'd add one major point to that.  I think Shanny did an outstanding job preparing his team for the game while Robert "it's not a problem" Saleh was asleep at the switch.  SF looked so much sharper than we did.  To me, that is 100% on the CS.

And it's stuff like this that REALLY makes me question how well Saleh will have us prepared for a playoff game, (should we finally manage to make it).

I already had all of these doubts about him going into the SF game, btw.  It's just that nothing that happened changed my mind at all.

Excellent post and im not sure how any of it can be refuted.

The difference between Saleh and Shanahan is pretty easy (IMO) to explain.  Saleh is a good motivator who (whether its him or JD) is able to put together a team that fits what he wants to do on defense - great.

But to walk out on the field in SF and play a wide 9 defense, in predominantly nickel packages with no run stoppers is moronic.  Stop playing "your system" every week.  His "system" can be a base, but you HAVE to adapt to who you are playing and what your personnel can and cant do.  To shrug your shoulders and say "we got beat" is absurd but it happens to a shocking degree in the NFL.

Good coaches adapt week to week and in game - saleh does one thing and hopes it works.  Yea, he may not be a bottom 5 coach, but he will simply never be top 10 unless he realizes how to make changes and after this long I doubt he will.

Shanahan has a base offense that puts his players in the best situation and constantly adapts to who he is playing against  Hes innovatvive and gets the most out of his personnel.  Saleh has 3 all pros on defense, along with 5+ high level starters (after the team used a ton of draft capital on these guys) and cant stop the run against a team he KNOWS wants to run.  

Not great Bob

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Stop playing "your system" every week.  His "system" can be a base, but you HAVE to adapt to who you are playing and what your personnel can and cant do.  To shrug your shoulders and say "we got beat" is absurd but it happens to a shocking degree in the NFL.

Good coaches adapt week to week and in game - saleh does one thing and hopes it works

I have been wanting to see any kind of adjustments, and for some dumb reason, figured he finally figured it out, turned a corner w his back against the wall and will now TRY THINGS and do whatever it takes to win in that moment. Like Belicheat said... this is the most one dimensional fkn team and should be WAY better than the results on the field. Saleh is holding this roster back and many MANY other coaches, any who know how to game plan and make adjustments would be winning. Ive lost all hope in this guy and fully expect Tenn to run down their throats and this fool will do absolutely nothing to stop it. And they'll do the same on offense unless Aaron completely takes matters into his own hands. Yay 

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

When did the narrative here change from “now that we have a QB like Aaron Rodgers running the offense and a elite defense defense we’re one of the top 3 teams in the league” to “we can’t win because of Saleh!”?

If they win this week (I believe they will), it’ll be back to top 3 roster, Super Bowl here we come. Fandom isn’t a highway, it’s big wave surfing.

• Haha 1

Seriously, Bobby comes off like a guy who doesn’t actually give a sh-t about anything connected with the NYJ.

You see him basically laughing when asked why his team looked like dogsh-t on national TV in week 1.

It’s like from his POV, they could can him today and he’s still “won” as he’s set for life because of all that money he’s pocketed from Woody and Chris.

Like any bad actor he’s merely trying to play a role — this one just happens to be what the Jets wanted when they hired him — a “CEO” head coach / yes man who would sing the company line and not go Gase eyes during press conferences.

10 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Seriously, Bobby comes off like a guy who doesn’t actually give a sh-t about anything connected with the NYJ.

It’s like from his POV, they could can him today and he’s still “won” as he’s set for life because of all that money he’s pocketed from Woody and Chris.

Like any bad actor he’s trying to play a role — this one just happens to be what the Jets wanted when they hired him — a “CEO” head coach / yes man who would sing the company line and not go Gase eyes during press conferences.

Of course he cares. The problem might be worse than that…

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

You see him basically laughing when asked why his team looked like dogsh-t on national TV in week 1.

Like any bad actor he’s merely trying to play a role — this one just happens to be what the Jets wanted when they hired him — a “CEO” head coach / yes man who would sing the company line and not go Gase eyes during press conferences.

you really think he doesnt care? 

lets forget that failing here would be a stain on his career. but the money as you so call it think hes set for life? 

1st off he had a house built from scratch. now i never did that but i cant imagine that would be your dream house. designing it how you want it instead of buying a house already built. you really think he wants to give that up and move to a new city? 

2nd how much do you think Woody is paying him? i thinks its about 4 mil a year. but lets say 5 mil. thats 20 mil for 4 years. how much do you think he has after taxes? 10-12 mil? guys got like 10 kids. you dont think he wants to get another 20 mil dollar contract from Woody? think hes in a rush to be a DC again? what do they make? maybe a million or 2. 

3rd, hes the boss. everybody wants to be the boss. nobody wants to go backwards.

not sure what you want from him? you want him to scream at people? didnt work out too well for Daboll. screamed at Wink and Wink quit. thats not the NFL anymore. 

@Pac not sure if you missed this thread or not but the list has grown significantly.  It’s most of your typical haters nonbelievers who will be  trying to scratch and crawl there way back on the Revenge Tour Party Bus but we had to add a bunch more. Don’t worry, I got your back, names with a picture posted on the inside of the bus door so there is no mistaking who is to be excluded from the joyous celebrations. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, doitny said:

you really think he doesnt care? 

lets forget that failing here would be a stain on his career. but the money as you so call it think hes set for life? 

1st off he had a house built from scratch. now i never did that but i cant imagine that would be your dream house. designing it how you want it instead of buying a house already built. you really think he wants to give that up and move to a new city? 

2nd how much do you think Woody is paying him? i thinks its about 4 mil a year. but lets say 5 mil. thats 20 mil for 4 years. how much do you think he has after taxes? 10-12 mil? guys got like 10 kids. you dont think he wants to get another 20 mil dollar contract from Woody? think hes in a rush to be a DC again? what do they make? maybe a million or 2. 

3rd, hes the boss. everybody wants to be the boss. nobody wants to go backwards.

not sure what you want from him? you want him to scream at people? didnt work out too well for Daboll. screamed at Wink and Wink quit. thats not the NFL anymore. 

He’s auditioning for a tv gig. He doesn’t care. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

@Pac not sure if you missed this thread or not but the list has grown significantly.  It’s most of your typical haters nonbelievers who will be  trying to scratch and crawl there way back on the Revenge Tour Party Bus but we had to add a bunch more. Don’t worry, I got your back, names with a picture posted on the inside of the bus door so there is no mistaking who is to be excluded from the joyous celebrations. 

Quoting this post to highlight the fact that the Pac Administration is already in absolute shambles and the dude has already been golfing three times this week.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Quoting this post to highlight the fact that the Pac Administration is already in absolute shambles and the dude has already been golfing three times this week.

Pretty perfect pick on your part considering you can use the same post to describe him and Saleh in a single post. Master class on efficiency! 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I thought the Benigno stuff was a good window into Bob’s mindset here—he took a bad job, got stuck with a catastrophic QB who kneecapped his first three years here, and now he’s stuck with Norma Desmond at QB and an absolute clownshoe as his OC whose only qualification for the job is that Norma tolerates him. Recall that even Ulbrich tried to bail on the org this offseason. I think Saleh sees Mike LaFleur living his best life in LA and can’t wait until he can go back to being a highly paid DC for one of his Shanahan tree homies. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I thought the Benigno stuff was a good window into Bob’s mindset here—he took a bad job, got stuck with a catastrophic QB who kneecapped his first three years here, and now he’s stuck with Norma Desmond at QB and an absolute clownshoe as his OC whose only qualification for the job is that Norma tolerates him. Recall that even Ulbrich tried to bail on the org this offseason. I think Saleh sees Mike LaFleur living his best life in LA and can’t wait until he can go back to being a highly paid DC for one of his Shanahan tree homies. 

Yep, more time to golf. He would rather get an impromptu dry finger prostate exam by a 7 foot NBA center then an extension from the Jets right now. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

We’re all really quick to blame and mock Saleh for everything, but what if the roster isn’t as good as everyone thinks it is?

Yea saleh has no input on the roster or offensive playcalling. He didn’t hire Hackett, didn’t start Wilson for 3 years. Had no role in the team collapsing down the stretch two years ago despite being healthy. It wasn’t his fault at all that we line up in wide 9 all game against a team intent on running the ball down our throat Monday. 

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yep, more time to golf. He would rather get an impromptu dry finger prostate exam by a 7 foot NBA center then an extension from the Jets right now. 

We know Woody doesn’t think he has to pay coaches and the future of the QB position here is bleak af if/when Rodgers gets his hands on some mushrooms and decides to go back to Malibu. Dude looked ready to hang them up on the second play of the game on Monday. Saleh’s already scouting out mansions in Houston, probably

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We know Woody doesn’t think he has to pay coaches and the future of the QB position here is bleak af if/when Rodgers gets his hands on some mushrooms and decides to go back to Malibu. Dude looked ready to hang them up on the second play of the game on Monday. Saleh’s already scouting out mansions in Houston, probably

How come we're making Saleh the victim here? The lack of in game adjustments on Monday was horrific. He's mainly to blame. Making it seem like Saleh is too good for the team when he was the main factor in my opinion on why they lost, along with Hackett, and Rodgers actually played well. Also no, Rodgers didn't look like he wanted to hang it up on second play, that's his on field persona. Fair point on the Johnsons with coaches.

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Disagree, @Pac is the exact leader we need right now, best Captain we've ever had.  While the rest of you weak little ninnies are already waiving the white flag on the season/regime/Rodgers and preparing for a migrants van of awesome coaches to come in and save you, Pac is out there finding fairways, hitting greens, putting for bird (ok, he's like a +20 handi so that's a lie) but either way, his cool calm collective demeanor is exactly what we need from our fearless leader to combat all of your reactionary performative theatrics fear mongering losers who are infecting this fanbase.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, BradSmith16fan said:

How come we're making Saleh the victim here? The lack of in game adjustments on Monday was horrific. He's mainly to blame. Making it seem like Saleh is too good for the team when he was the main factor in my opinion on why they lost, along with Hackett, and Rodgers actually played well. Also no, Rodgers didn't look like he wanted to hang it up on second play, that's his on field persona. Fair point on the Johnsons with coaches.

It can be true that 1. Saleh isn’t a good head coach and 2. Saleh has been victimized by Woody and Douglas ineptitude