Jets Titans observations

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

If you really think that @Biggs, then we have a serious difference of opinion.

When your forced to burn timeouts, to prevent delay of game penalties that's a problem.

When you have a 20 yr Veteran QB, you should not HAVE TO burn timeouts, to prevent delay of game penaties, because your QB isn't paying attention to the game clock.

I could see it maybe happening once, but it sure as sh!t shouldn't have happened 3 times. Rodgers needs to have better situational awareness then that.

It didn't cost us the game - but it very easily could have come back to bite us.

I hate burning a time out to avoid a delay of game when it's on first down 6 minutes into the first quarter in a tie game. Iirc the Jets scored immediately after both of Saleh's timeouts to stop the delay of game yesterday, so it's pretty hard to argue with that process.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

If you really think that @Biggs, then we have a serious difference of opinion.

When your forced to burn timeouts, to prevent delay of game penalties that's a problem.

When you have a 20 yr Veteran QB, you should not HAVE TO burn timeouts, to prevent delay of game penaties, because your QB isn't paying attention to the game clock.

I could see it maybe happening once, but it sure as sh!t shouldn't have happened 3 times. Rodgers needs to have better situational awareness then that.

It didn't cost us the game - but it very easily could have come back to bite us.

How do you know that it’s situational awareness?   What if he didn’t like the play, should he just run it?  What if it cost us on the field?  Timeouts are for all kinds of situations. Using them to save some yards and regroup is an appropriate use of them.  

Ideally you want to save them for a last possession or to give the d a blow on the last possession with the lead but there is zero wrong with using a timeout or two out of 3 each half to not run a play that the QB isn’t comfortable with or prevent a delay of game penalty.

We don’t have an OC.  We don’t need to call timeouts for Rodgers to discuss the right play with Hackett, a complete waste of time. 

• Upvote 1

I thought the Titans played a really good game against us.  That D does not suck, nor does their Oline.  Sometimes its less about you and more about your adversary, and i think week1/2 is more of an indication of them, then of us.

Anyway, In terms of long term problems for the team.  Well we do have an issue with sealing the edge.  Our outside lbers, corners and safeties are fast and swarming but are vulnerable to the outside run game.  They get pushed around, and generally have technique problems.  Clark in particular was abused multiple times and they were really going after him.

Depth at DT, and now that JJ is gone, on the edge.  Not great, we need Reddick now (and he just got a lot of leverage).

I’m not convinced with our run blocking.  Tippman and AVT have not played well afaics

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Correct.  We need to play off Rodgers and the short passing game, especially when teams stack the box.  Mix in a couple deep shots and run off the pass.

This isn’t that hard and I don’t care how ‘rusty’ Rodgers is.  That’s not the point.

We always seem to play into other team’s game plans rather than around them.

The Offense changed at the end of the half when Rodgers threw early and often in a quick passing game.

From there, Titans D was mostly off balance.  Ruckert scores on a well thrown pass and Sauce plays more focused and the game isn’t as close.  

I don't think it's going to be all quick plays all the time.  I think Rodgers can do it, but the WRs were taking shots.  They did it a bit and it did get the Titans off balance, I think they preferred to run some longer developing plays, but the TItans rush was taking that away.  I guess Keion White is putting some pressure on, but the Pats are not that great against the pass.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hael said:

I thought the Titans played a really good game against us.  That D does not suck, nor does their Oline.  Sometimes its less about you and more about your adversary, and i think week1/2 is more of an indication of them, then of us.

Anyway, In terms of long term problems for the team.  Well we do have an issue with sealing the edge.  Our outside lbers, corners and safeties are fast and swarming but are vulnerable to the outside run game.  They get pushed around, and generally have technique problems.  Clark in particular was abused multiple times and they were really going after him.

Depth at DT, and now that JJ is gone, on the edge.  Not great, we need Reddick now (and he just got a lot of leverage).

I’m not convinced with our run blocking.  Tippman and AVT have not played well afaics

Beyond this year, main issues are qb as always and pass rush.   It should be easier to find decent run stuffers and i think taylor iii will get in sooner than later.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Beyond this year, main issues are qb as always and pass rush.   It should be easier to find decent run stuffers and i think taylor iii will get in sooner than later.  

Taylor is a penetrating DT, not really a run stuffer and unless they try to transition him to DE he isn't going to have much to do with setting the edge.  Johnson was a smaller pass rush sized DE that set the edge fairly well.  It's an issue for McDonald and Clemons is meh.  JFM is gone, so I am assuming that Holmes ends up with a roster spot.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

100 total yards of penalties…again. Meanwhile our cheerleader head coach stares into the abyss

hes staring at having the 3rd best least penalized defense in the league with 9.

what do you want him to do? throw his headset down like a little baby. Daboll does that and he will be out of a job by Thanksgiving at this rate. chased away a very good DC in Wink with his antics.

idk man i dont see Andy Ried or Belichick doing cartwheels on the sidelines. not sure what you expect to see when they show him on the sideline.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Taylor is a penetrating DT, not really a run stuffer and unless they try to transition him to DE he isn't going to have much to do with setting the edge.  Johnson was a smaller pass rush sized DE that set the edge fairly well.  It's an issue for McDonald and Clemons is meh.  JFM is gone, so I am assuming that Holmes ends up with a roster spot.

Play your best guys and he deserves a look esp. now with jj out.  Any guy who can create a pass rush is worth something and it’s not as if they’re really stopping the run that well anyway

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Play your best guys and he deserves a look esp. now with jj out.  Any guy who can create a pass rush is worth something and it’s not as if they’re really stopping the run that well anyway

I don't understand.  Who are your best guys?  I don't see him playing over Q or Kinlaw.  Solomon Thomas had a very nice game as far as I can see.  I guess you could play him over Holmes, or use him for Holmes snaps inside while Holmes is kicked outside. 

Saying we're not stopping the run, so why bother seems a strange theory.  I am not saying that he doesn't get snaps because they are thin outside and the issue outside is stopping the run.  Rushing the passer has not been an issue IMO. 

FWIW, PFF graded McKinley and Clemons pretty low.  That is where the issue will lie IMO.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I don't understand.  Who are your best guys?  I don't see him playing over Q or Kinlaw.  Solomon Thomas had a very nice game as far as I can see.  I guess you could play him over Holmes, or use him for Holmes snaps inside while Holmes is kicked outside. 

Saying we're not stopping the run, so why bother seems a strange theory.  I am not saying that he doesn't get snaps because they are thin outside and the issue outside is stopping the run.  Rushing the passer has not been an issue IMO. 

FWIW, PFF graded McKinley and Clemons pretty low.  That is where the issue will lie IMO.  

I think Clemons sucks and taylor should play over him at a minimum.  My point is, like with Sherwood, certain guys don’t play until there’s an injury but they should be playing over starters.  

44 minutes ago, Claymation said:

GXjhynSXYAEFcbZ?format=jpg&name=medium

How was this a roughing the passer penalty?

That one bothered me and Clark leading with the shoulder getting a personal foul was also a ticky tack deal.  The play above kept Levis on the field to brainfart.  Otherwise we would have gotten the ball and D could have rested.  Rodgers got the guys finger to the facemask for 15 too.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

That one bothered me and Clark leading with the shoulder getting a personal foul was also a ticky tack deal.  The play above kept Levis on the field to brainfart.  Otherwise we would have gotten the ball and D could have rested.  Rodgers got the guys finger to the facemask for 15 too.

I thought Clark’s was more helmet, but this one was bad.  But it’s not just happening to the jets though, you really can’t hit a qb hard anymore unless that qb really stinks like wilson.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think Clemons sucks and taylor should play over him at a minimum.  My point is, like with Sherwood, certain guys don’t play until there’s an injury but they should be playing over starters.  

This is the third time I'm saying this, but Clemons is a DE and Taylor is a DT.  Taylor is quick, but he is 300 lbs and our DE are hybrid LB expected to defend to the sideline.  This is kind of like saying Zach WIlson sucks, we should be playing Echols more.  It's an exaggeration, but they do not do the same jobs.  Asking Taylor to do it would probably create more problems than it solves. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is the third time I'm saying this, but Clemons is a DE and Taylor is a DT.  Taylor is quick, but he is 300 lbs and our DE are hybrid LB expected to defend to the sideline.  This is kind of like saying Zach WIlson sucks, we should be playing Echols more.  It's an exaggeration, but they do not do the same jobs.  Asking Taylor to do it would probably create more problems than it solves. 

If taylor is good enough to play for this team he should play somehow, that’s what good coaches do.  And if Taylor’s expertise is pass rushing well they would seem to need that even more so now with JJ out.  The D line is the weak link of this team so far, so i wouldn’t be too rigid with how i figure out how to stop the run and generate more pass rush.  Play guys who can help.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

For the love of God, can someone please get Sauce to turn his head and find the ball when he is trailing a WR on a vertical route. 

Extremely overrated.  I really think his cute nickname is a big part of why he is so recognized around the league.  If he went by Ahmad Gardner he would be regarded as the slightly above JAG that he truly is.  Also, I am sure Saleh has told him that he is one of the all-time greats already.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If taylor is good enough to play for this team he should play somehow, that’s what good coaches do.  And if Taylor’s expertise is pass rushing well they would seem to need that even more so now with JJ out.  The D line is the weak link of this team so far, so i wouldn’t be too rigid with how i figure out how to stop the run and generate more pass rush.  Play guys who can help.

Eh.  Maybe.  Taylor seems like a guy with all the talent, but he doesn't seem like he would be very disciplined and I think they need some stability before rotating him in.  He is young and I think the only reason he made the team over a guy like Holmes is age.  Taylor has more potential and therefore is more likely to be poached from the practice squad.  He is not necesarily better.  Same with McGregor and Watts.  McGregor got some run before Johnson went down, so I would presume they are rewarding the guys that look good during the week.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, doitny said:

PFF also has him listed at 216

I know that @Sperm Edwards already went off on this, but I went through looking up his weight.  I found some interesting stuff.  In preseason articles from 2022 and 2023 they discussed all the weight that he had put on.  He said he played at 220 his last year at LSU.  He came to the team light from the combine and lost weight during camp and was down to  212, but was at 234 in August 2023.  I forgot he tore his achilles and he said he put on a ton of weight during his rehab and that he realized he was undersized for the position and added 15 lbs.  The most important thing to me was that I forgot his length.  He was a slow safety.  I didn't realize that he had an 82" reach though.  HIs RAS was pitiful, but his length on the spider was 80+ percentile for all athletes.  Saleh supposedly calls him the Florham Park Strangler.

• Upvote 1

The roughing call on JJ was total horsesh-t.

But I so knew they were gonna call it I didn't celebrate the play as it was happening.

I waited 3 seconds or whatever it was and sure enough, of course the ref couldn't help himself and the yellow laundry was thrown in our faces.

What made it worse was Will Levis basically looked at the ref and threw his hands up in the air, basically begging for the call, and I think that's what triggered the loser ref.   I guess he felt he couldn't say no at that point.

What a joke.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know that @Sperm Edwards already went off on this, but I went through looking up his weight.  I found some interesting stuff.  In preseason articles from 2022 and 2023 they discussed all the weight that he had put on.  He said he played at 220 his last year at LSU.  He came to the team light from the combine and lost weight during camp and was down to  212, but was at 234 in August 2023.  I forgot he tore his achilles and he said he put on a ton of weight during his rehab and that he realized he was undersized for the position and added 15 lbs.  The most important thing to me was that I forgot his length.  He was a slow safety.  I didn't realize that he had an 82" reach though.  HIs RAS was pitiful, but his length on the spider was 80+ percentile for all athletes.  Saleh supposedly calls him the Florham Park Strangler.

You have his combine measurements for girth? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hael said:

Running the ball up the gut is a problem when the type of OL one has drafted are smaller, lighter types who excel in mobility and getting to the second level or pulling rather than being maulers who can blast guys off the LOS.  The OC, HC, OL Coach and GM need to be on the same page, and it doesn't sound as if the Jets are.

4 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I thought he should have been active this week.

I think he'd be good against the run.

He wasn't in preseason against poor teams' scrubs.  He was getting pushed around in the run game.  What makes you think he would be good vs the starters of better teams?