So who would you pencil in as our new HC GM.

Maynard13

11 hours ago, Origen said:

I'd rather hire that Strength and Conditioning Coach who tripped the Dolphins returner that one time for ST coach.  He had moxie.

Hey, that guy kind of looks like Saleh. Alosi was all attacked by Sean “Puffy” Combs with a kettle bell at UCLA. Combs is now in the news for various other reasons.

• Haha 1

the days of Defensive head coaches bullying their way to a SB win are over

the "Belly" model is essentially dead

the "Gase" model for all it's ridiculousness around here - that 7-9 is still the high water mark of the Joe D era 

whoever the next GM is should be hired with the intent of that dude supporting a HC playcalling genius type 

I don't think the Jets were wrong to look at organizations like Baltimore and San Francisco for that GM and would do it again 

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2024 at 1:27 AM, Maynard13 said:

Suggested reading material.  Baseball for dummies. Stearns is on his way to becoming the next Theo Epstein.  Yes they didnt expect the success they are having BUT Stearns did believe they would be competitive and at the trading deadline didnt sell off his roster and instead made some nice additions.  First off, it was Stearns who revamped the pitching staff getting rid of Scherzer and Verlander for numerous minor league picks who are looking good in the minors.  Not going into it, look it up yourself.  He signed Manea and Severino who have been both outstanding. He held on to Megill and Peterson who has emerged as their ace. He signed Iglesias who has been the spark behind this incredible resurrection.  He sent Baty down and gave the job to Vientos who has been an unreal power supply to their lineup,  He signed Taylor, another clutch performer. He signed JD Martinez who changed the culture of the team.  He continued to tinkle with the bullpen and has improved it without trading away key prospects or players.  And of course, he STOLE Mendoza away from the Skanks.  So your take that Lindor was soley responsible for this amazin run is ludicrous.  Yes he is 2nd in line for MVP behind Shotani. But he hasn't done it alone. Stearns is just getting started. Its going to be  very interesting what he does next year and how this team will look. Lot of money coming off teh books for next year and he's eyeing teh top 2 players on the FA market Soto and Corbin. 

The Jets would be smart to find a young aspiring mind like Stearns in the football world.  The Jets had even hinted they were insterested in hiring Theo Epstein a few years back.  Not a football guy but definitely a very smart GM.  If the Jets can find an equivalent talent, like Stearns, who by the way developed the Brewers, one of the best teams over the last number of years, they would be on the right track.  Their GM picks have been as bad as their QB picks.  So my anology is actually on target, quite interesting and good unlike your cow bell playing. 

I'm just going to say, all of them have been up and down and none of them really contributed against the Brave in game one. I would even say Megill did everything he could to lose that game. 

As far as Mendoza, I don't  think the Yanks are missing him. Yes,  good acquisition, but stealing him? 

And as far as Lindor being responsible for making the playoffs? You can say he needed Nimo as well. Without those two, the Mets are playing golf now. 

I give credit to them.  They were an embarrassment at the begining

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm just going to say, all of them have been up and down and none of them really contributed against the Brave in game one. I would even say Megill did everything he could to lose that game. 

As far as Mendoza, I don't  think the Yanks are missing him. Yes,  good acquisition, but stealing him? 

And as far as Lindor being responsible for making the playoffs? You can say he needed Nimo as well. Without those two, the Mets are playing golf now. 

I give credit to them.  They were an embarrassment at the begining

Not as embarrassing as your posts.  OMG OMG OMG Polar Bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete.jpg

On 10/1/2024 at 8:26 AM, rangerous said:

Vrabel for coach, bellichicken for gm.  I think the jets out change saleh today. 

Belicheat is too old, is a lying POS, and was a pretty awful talent evaluator in the draft with the Pats.  He had far more players bust than succeed and he should get nowhwere near the Jets.

• Upvote 1

On 10/1/2024 at 8:47 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

Keeping JD. 

The Jets should only be considering HC candidates who have had success as an NFL or high profile NCAA head coach. No more OTJT.

That's a nice ideal, but not practical or realistic.  There may be only one former NFL HC available as HC in 2025 other than Belicheat, and that's Mike Vrabel.  Enough with the damn conservative former DCs.  This team will never win anything or go anywhere until they focus on building a topnotch offense.

On 10/1/2024 at 8:34 AM, Untouchable said:

Belichick 

The biggest damn problem with this team are discipline and fundamentals.

You think BB has any qualms about holding people accountable and jumping up their assh0les when they screw up?

Guarantee this team would be prepared and focused every week.

He would never take the job, and it should never be offered to that lying, cheating, POS.  I do agree that the team would have solid fundamentals and would be prepared and focused every week.

On 10/1/2024 at 10:19 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

"track record" is one pick really. one pick that has a 35% chance.

you're putting far too much weight on a 4th round dart throw and assuming a 5th round dart throw is already an L. Even if it ends up that way it's just a whatever. 

No good QB was taken after Wilson unless you want to argue that Justin Fields is a good QB @JiFtheOracle

Also the story isn't complete with Zach Wilson.  If JD seriously thought of drafting Zach all along, then he screwed the pooch on his HC hire and allowing the HC he hired to hire a first-time OC and rookie QB Coach who hadn't coached in the NFL at all before (I think).  He further screwed the matter by not having a quality veteran QB to start while Zach worked on his fundamentals and adjusted to the NFL and by having Zach start day 1.  Still, I think he deserves another shot to draft a QB.

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2024 at 2:15 AM, Aussie Jet said:

I can't see a new head coach agreeing to keep a defensive coordinator that they inherit, unless they are someone like Mike Tomlin, who was happy to work with Dick LeBeau (and vice versa) when he took over the Steelers from Cowher. I don't think Ulbrich is all that special as a defensive coordinator that the incoming head coach should be forced to keep him.

I disagree.  Ulbrich has done an outstanding job as the Jets DC.  The new HC would be foolish to not keep Ulbrich to keep continuity and keep the D intact, and not have to change D schemes and then turn over the defensive side of the roster at the same time the offense is going to have to continue to be built.  The problem is that Ulbrich may not want to stay or may get offered a HC job elsewhere.

On 10/2/2024 at 8:18 AM, Mr. Rogers said:

As for new HC - Vrabel is probably my pick, with the caveat that the team takes a young talented OC. I see the argument for making an OC the HC, but I'm worried someone inexperienced will get chewed up here in NY and possibly let the discipline problems continue. Vrabel should be able to fix the discipline and keep the defense, which is the true heart of the team, strong. He has shown he will let OCs do what they need to.

I want the fresh, creative offensive mind to be able to focus just on getting the best of the offensive talent. Lafleur never really had a chance and obviously Hackett is a disaster, but I don't think we need an offensive HC when we JUST need to fix the offense. If a suitably experienced HC can be found with offensive acumen that's fine, but if we are hiring someone pretty fresh then I want them at OC

I like that Vrabel has experience as a HC and he was pretty good.  I also like that he could probably put together a quality staff. I agree that he would probably fix the discipline issue and would have the team prepared to play.

My problem with him is twofold.   First and foremost, his offense with the Titans was more conservative.  It was basically power running and occasional passing.  Was that because of the personnel already in place or is that what he wants? Also, former DCs are almost always conservative on offense, so I seriously doubt if he'd hire a young, creative OC to develop a dynamic offense. Yet another former DC who wants to win with D and a conservative offense is not what the Jets need.   We've seen that movie too many times.  The NFL is a passing league and the teams with the best passing games win the most.

Second, being a former DC, would he want to keep this scheme or would he want to change to a different scheme, which would then probably mean that at least part of the defensive roster would be turned over, when the team still needs to mostly focus on fixing the offense.

On 10/2/2024 at 9:07 AM, varjet said:

The rumor was that Saleh wanted Darnold.  I strongly believe that it was Woody that wanted to draft Wilson and save the 5th year option on Darnold.  

JD and his scouts are really agents for the coaches.   They do a good job on defense because the coaches do the real scouting.   We have no offensive coaches so we can’t find offensive players.   The only way they the Jets will be able to hire offensive coaches is to hire an offensive HC.   I think JD can work with that and do better.  If Ulbrich stayed to work with an offensive HC and prove himself that would be great. 

Where do you get that bolded nonsense?

On 10/1/2024 at 5:47 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

Keeping JD. 

The Jets should only be considering HC candidates who have had success as an NFL or high profile NCAA head coach. No more OTJT.

I'd be onboard with this.  Vrabel would be an interesting choice to me.  He's done some winning in this league and without an elite QB.  He comes from the Belichick school of discipline (which this team needs).  The Titans don't look any better, and possibly worse, since he left.  JD and Vrabel could be an intriguing combination.

The question is whether Woody (and more importantly the people Woody listens to) will give JD one more shot after whiffing on his hand-chosen HC in Saleh, flubbing on a supposed Franchise QB with the #2 pick, and now seeing the guy JD discarded to take Zach (Sam Darnold) thriving someplace else.  That dynamite 2022 draft of Sauce, GW, JJ, and Breece can only carry you so far when the rest of your record doesn't look great with HC and QB decision-making and you've whiffed on almost all of your early picks outside 2022.  Becton, Mims, Elijah Moore, Zach Wilson, etc. can't entirely be ignored.

9 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Not as embarrassing as your posts.  OMG OMG OMG Polar Bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete.jpg

Look, you like the Mets, I get it. I'm a very casual baseball fan, but there is no denying, Stern did nothing this last off season to improve the Mets. Point to one off season acquisition.  They ended up with Mandoza because they didn't get Counsel. He wasn't  the main target. Have the Mets over achieved considering this? Yes, but I have difficulty in understanding why you would use Stern as an example.

8 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Belicheat is too old, is a lying POS, and was a pretty awful talent evaluator in the draft with the Pats.  He had far more players bust than succeed and he should get nowhwere near the Jets.

Hmm…more players bust than succeed?  Maybe but that didn’t stop the patsies from dominating the afce for twenty seasons and six super bowls.  I think maybe his draft prowess was overblown by people trying to find a problem with him and the patsies.  I was half kidding about bellichicken.  He wants no part of the jets and is really only suitable for an advisory role although I think he wants to be coach to have the most wins.

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2024 at 7:07 AM, varjet said:

The rumor was that Saleh wanted Darnold.  I strongly believe that it was Woody that wanted to draft Wilson and save the 5th year option on Darnold.  

JD and his scouts are really agents for the coaches.   They do a good job on defense because the coaches do the real scouting.   We have no offensive coaches so we can’t find offensive players.   The only way they the Jets will be able to hire offensive coaches is to hire an offensive HC.   I think JD can work with that and do better.  If Ulbrich stayed to work with an offensive HC and prove himself that would be great. 

Woody certainly acted like he handpicked Zach for 3 years

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Look, you like the Mets, I get it. I'm a very casual baseball fan, but there is no denying, Stern did nothing this last off season to improve the Mets. Point to one off season acquisition.  They ended up with Mandoza because they didn't get Counsel. He wasn't  the main target. Have the Mets over achieved considering this? Yes, but I have difficulty in understanding why you would use Stern as an example.

Difficult for you because you're a casual baseball fan. Stick to the cowbell.

11 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Difficult for you because you're a casual baseball fan. Stick to the cowbell.

So your answer is not to answer because even though I'm a casual fan, you know I'm right.  If I'm not, tell me what moves Stern made to improve the team. All you listed was a bunch of middle of the road players and most of them weren't even that good. Look at the ones the Yankees and Dodgers made. Show me one block buster move like those that the Mets made. Soto dramatically  improved the Yanks. Who did Stern pick up that dramatically improve the Mets this off-season? 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I do not want vrabel at all. no way if it is not a young offensive guru screw it.

No way Douglas walks the plank, he willget at least one full coaching change, whether he deserves it or not.

Not sure I want him either. What QB developed under him, or any other player? Henry? We already have what feels like most of his CS and it's garbage. Tennessee fans complained about things we complain about already. Unless he pulls an OC guru out of his ass, what are our other options?

On 9/30/2024 at 9:06 PM, Maynard13 said:

It's inevitable.  Its not to early to think about this NOW.  This team is pure garbage.  We have some good players, but they are terribly coached and JD hasn't helped matters either.  This OL is older than Sodom and Gomorrah. It will crumble and already has started to.  The DL is a JOKE. No pass rush no stopping the run. Pathetic.  The offense is boring and insultingly basic and ineffective.  Both Saleh and JD need to go after the season.  Rodgers will wave bye bye after the season. He wont be sticking around for this circus.  We will be in rebuild mode YET AGAIN.  Lot of big contracts coming up as well.  This organization needs to get a head coach and GM that has a fresh approach - in other words someone YOUNG and Upcoming.  Look what David Stearns did with the Mets this season. He got them in the PLAYOFFS. They were totally cast off to have a miserable season and yet this mastermind, made a few moves here and there, stole Mendoza away from the Skanks and wallah.....PLAYOFFS!!!!!  Find a David Stearns in the football world and an innovative young HC and lets move into the 21st century.

I hope we lower Joe pick the replacement. I be on board with upgrading the DC to HC