Grass May Not Be Greener

Rumor is we might be switching play calling duties to Todd Downing. While a change I 100% think is needed. Let’s not act like Downing is this good offensive mind. His last year calling plays he had TEN as a bottom 2 offense in the league and even the year before that just middle of the pack.

So unless he’s changed drastically over the last couple years….. it’s hard to imagine he gets play calling duties and is a savior for us.

• Upvote 4

That whole offensive coaching staff is so so bad. It’s one of the reasons I feel less bad about Saleh firing. There is no one on this staff that doesn’t have major sh*t streaks on their resume and recent ones too! It was ultimately his decision and his undoing.  I think it’s going to be the teams downfall. Rodgers liked Hackett cuz he had full control but I think he’s realizing when everyone else on that coaching staff sucks all that control is too much for one player to try to coordinate. 

• Upvote 3

I’ll take 15 best in points, which is what Tennessee was in his first year as coordinator before regressing after AJ Brown was traded.

The Titans were built to be a run heavy power football team.  That’s not necessarily aligned with  gaining a lot of yards or scoring a lot of points.

Context is important.

Now tell me who’s decision it was to trade AJ Brown or employ their former OL Coach?

Yeah top notch play callers don’t have to take QB coach jobs. 

The benefits of the Saleh firing are everyone feels pressure to perform and win now for the first time in ages. 

The scheme works if everyone executes their blocks. 

Jerry Kramer famously told the defense what the packers were running before the play and it didn’t matter. 

What they need most is an edge to their attitude, urgency, energy and even desperation. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Be_a_Jet said:

That whole offensive coaching staff is so so bad. It’s one of the reasons I feel less bad about Saleh firing. There is no one on this staff that doesn’t have major sh*t streaks on their resume and recent ones too! It was ultimately his decision and his undoing.  I think it’s going to be the teams downfall. Rodgers liked Hackett cuz he had full control but I think he’s realizing when everyone else on that coaching staff sucks all that control is too much for one player to try to coordinate. 

Who the hell hired him,  HCs are responsible for their staff.

I get that the Jets wanted to lure Aaron here, make Hackett a special assistant to the OC or passing coordinator. Who gives a Eff what his title was here. Saleh made him the OC. Saleh hired Carter. He is responsible for this mess. 

I bet defense attorneys would love to have you on their jury.

7 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Who the hell hired him,  HCs are responsible for their staff.

I get that the Jets wanted to lure Aaron here, make Hackett a special assistant to the OC or passing coordinator. Who gives a Eff what his title was here. Saleh made him the OC. Saleh hired Carter. He is responsible for this mess. 

I bet defense attorneys would love to have you on their jury.

Just like GM’s fire the HC’s because the HC reports to the GM.

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yeah top notch play callers don’t have to take QB coach jobs. 

The benefits of the Saleh firing are everyone feels pressure to perform and win now for the first time in ages. 

The scheme works if everyone executes their blocks. 

Jerry Kramer famously told the defense what the packers were running before the play and it didn’t matter. 

What they need most is an edge to their attitude, urgency, energy and even desperation. 

Good point.  The team needed a shake up top to bottom.  Okay, favorite whipping boy is still there but I don’t if anyone knows what the real interaction there was between saleh and Hackett.  It could be saleh had a lot more input into the offenses game plan than we might think.  He should’ve because he was the head coach.  And it’s like Kramer said, if the team executes they can be successful. Run blocking and pass protection is what’s needed.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Rumor is we might be switching play calling duties to Todd Downing. While a change I 100% think is needed. Let’s not act like Downing is this good offensive mind. His last year calling plays he had TEN as a bottom 2 offense in the league and even the year before that just middle of the pack.

So unless he’s changed drastically over the last couple years….. it’s hard to imagine he gets play calling duties and is a savior for us.

@Bobby816

Todd Downing - Wikipedia

In 2015, Downing was hired by the Oakland Raiders as their quarterbacks coach under head coach Jack Del Rio. Downing is credited for helping Derek Carr become the first Raiders quarterback to be selected to a Pro Bowl since 2002. On January 20, 2015, Downing was named by Pro Football Focus as Quarterbacks Coach of the Year. After coaching Raiders quarterbacks for two years, he was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2017, after the Raiders decided not to renew Bill Musgrave's contract. When Downing coached Carr from 2015–16, he threw for 7,924 yards, 60 touchdowns, and 19 interceptions with two Pro Bowl appearances.

On January 29, 2021, Downing was promoted to offensive coordinator, replacing Arthur Smith, who departed to become the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons two weeks prior. In Downing's first season as offensive coordinator, the Titans finished 17th in overall offense and 15th in points scored.

Downing has had some success in this league and it's not like he had a blue-chip QB to work with, while he was at Tennessee, he had reclaimation project Ryan Tannehill.

Some of you guys are so stuck on all of the negative BS, do a little research before you chop a guy down.

I certainly don't believe he'll be any worse than Nate Hackett.

I say give Downing a shot, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If Rodgers is changing most of the calls at the LOS anyway - I'm not sure the play caller is making all that much different.

There is no way to quantify that, one way or the other.

Make the change, it can't hurt anything and it might actually help.

Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

There is no way to quantify that, one way or the other.

Make the change, it can't hurt anything and it might actually help.

Sure.  Why not make the change I agree.  I don't expect to see much from it.

What will make the offense better is execution.

Garret Wilson has to have route discipline, Lazard has to catch the ball, The OL has to protect the QB, The OL has to open holes in the running game, the TE's can't continually wiff on blocking assignments and the QB needs to stop dirting the ball and missing wide open WR's for TD's.

Yes, sure - play calling could be better but the reality is if the players did their basic jobs we wouldn't be talking about play calling.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Sure.  Why not make the change I agree.  I don't expect to see much from it.

What will make the offense better is execution.

Garret Wilson has to have route discipline, Lazard has to catch the ball, The OL has to protect the QB, The OL has to open holes in the running game, the TE's can't continually wiff on blocking assignments and the QB needs to stop dirting the ball and missing wide open WR's for TD's.

Yes, sure - play calling could be better but the reality is if the players did their basic jobs we wouldn't be talking about play calling.

Remains to be seen.

I wouldn't be so quick to make that assumption.

• Upvote 1

For all the crap Hackett is taking, most of it deserved, the Jets were able to run the ball last year with far less talent on the line. 

Fact is right now the line is playing like sht.  Between Olu getting thrown around and the TEs missing block after block it's no wonder Breece can't get off.  

This vid is gross. 

• Ugh 1

How inept is this organization?

They have a 40 year old QB (obviously not the future of the franchise).  They hire his buddy to be OC, a man who was fired in Denver and the Jets only hired in order to lure Rodgers here.  They tried to hire Arthur Smith in a consultant/advisor role because they had so little confidence in Hackett.  They fired the HC who wanted to keep LaFleur and who wanted to hire Arthur Smith and was in the process of demoting Hackett's playcalling duties when he was fired. lol

But hey, the Mets and Yankees are still alive!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

They have a 40 year old QB (obviously not the future of the franchise).  They hire his buddy to be OC, a man who was fired in Denver and the Jets only hired in order to lure Rodgers here.  They tried to hire Arthur Smith in a consultant/advisor role because they had so little confidence in Hackett.  They fired the HC who wanted to keep LaFleur and who wanted to hire Arthur Smith and was in the process of demoting Hackett's playcalling duties when he was fired. lol

We are a baseball team that cant hit so we fired our pitching coach.

Laughable.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

1 more win and the Yanks move on.

Mets already heading to the NLCS.

47 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

@Bobby816

Todd Downing - Wikipedia

In 2015, Downing was hired by the Oakland Raiders as their quarterbacks coach under head coach Jack Del Rio. Downing is credited for helping Derek Carr become the first Raiders quarterback to be selected to a Pro Bowl since 2002. On January 20, 2015, Downing was named by Pro Football Focus as Quarterbacks Coach of the Year. After coaching Raiders quarterbacks for two years, he was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2017, after the Raiders decided not to renew Bill Musgrave's contract. When Downing coached Carr from 2015–16, he threw for 7,924 yards, 60 touchdowns, and 19 interceptions with two Pro Bowl appearances.

On January 29, 2021, Downing was promoted to offensive coordinator, replacing Arthur Smith, who departed to become the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons two weeks prior. In Downing's first season as offensive coordinator, the Titans finished 17th in overall offense and 15th in points scored.

Downing has had some success in this league and it's not like he had a blue-chip QB to work with, while he was at Tennessee, he had reclaimation project Ryan Tannehill.

Some of you guys are so stuck on all of the negative BS, do a little research before you chop a guy down.

I certainly don't believe he'll be any worse than Nate Hackett.

I say give Downing a shot, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Disagree big time here. He was a QB coach in LV not calling plays. Quite frankly what LV did that year had little to do with him. You can’t cherry pick things. He was QB coach last year. I see coincidentally don’t bring up how we had the worst qb play in the nfl last year while he was QB coach.

Hos stats don’t lie. He has been an OC 2 times in TEN. His 1st year the offense was middle of the pack. I believe they ranked 17th or 18th in the NFL. His following year his offense was ranked 30th. Those are the only 2 years we need to think about. 

SO YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH!!

What he did as a QB coach, TE coach, offensive quality coach, etc. doesn’t matter. What matters is what he did when he called plays…. and his last season as an OC he had the 30th ranked offense.

PERIOD!!!

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

In fairness, his last year calling plays in Tennessee he had Tannehill throwing to nobody, pushed into forcing the ball in to rookie bust Burks, with a backup LT (who's currently a street FA) blocking his blind side all season and a backup center for 1/3 of the season on top of that. The only serious player he had was Derrick Henry, who's very serious. An elite RB producing a 1500+ yard, 13-TD season isn't nearly enough yardage or points to lift an entire offense's ranking by himself.

The year before they were a 24-25ppg offense, though that was a sharp decline - almost a TD per game - from the offense under Arthur Smith the prior season.

Then again Hackett somehow got a 3700-yard passing season out of Blake Bortles (throwing to nobody of note himself; his most productive receiver was undrafted rookie Keelan Cole's 748 yards); then adding in another 2200+ yards on the ground to make that crew a nearly 6000-yard offense.

So take past team rankings for what it's worth, as there isn't a Jets fan that wants Hackett retained. 

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I just read the power rankings in the Athletic.  The Giants are ahead of us.  I would say very inept.