Grass May Not Be Greener

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree there. He's done the job, so he is qualified. My point was just that Downing wasn't exactly this play caller for a great offense the 2 years he did call plays.

I never said he was great, all I said is Downing has had some success in the league and deserved a shot to call the plays - which is an accurate statement.

He will also be handling all of the game planning moving forward, per Ulbrich's presser today, so we'll see how he does.

I would be surprised if there wasn't at least SOME improvement.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are not changing anything.  Its hysterical you guys believe anything that comes out of these guys mouths.

Rodgers is running the show.  Hackett aint going anywhere..  

it is literally a different person calling plays

literally

• Upvote 1

Best the we can do under the circumstances.  I am sure the interim HC probably does not have hiring power right now to bring someone in from outside and who would even be available or want to come here mid-season so that leaves in-house.

Even if the move was largely symbolic the symbolism here for Hackett is unmistakable. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If Rodgers is changing most of the calls at the LOS anyway - I'm not sure the play caller is making all that much different.

You my friend are way too smart to actually believe it’s that simple.  Rodgers is not the play caller, he works with the play call and adjusts as he sees fit, within a box.

The play caller needs to think outside the box and put the offense in a starting position to succeed.  That is not forcing the run or continuing to use 2 TE sets that have become a liability.  Maybe it’s stretching the field, taking advantage of mismatches, going up tempo, using motion to identify defensive alignments, and adding some much needed creativity.   

• Upvote 1

It’s encouraging that Brich read the room, listened to the (presumed) feedback and Hackett paid some sort of price. Not shaking up the coaching on offense would have been a big mistake.

Ok but that was a layup.
I’d like to see Bates benched for Firkser and Lazard to get benched in the first quarter or something. That would really send a message. 

Marshawn Lynch 891 rushing yards, 7 TD

2021, Titans offensive coordinator
- 20th DVOA
- 17th yards per game (324.1) (5th in rushing 141.4)
- 15th PPG (24.6)
- Ryan Tannehill: 3,734 yards, 21 TD, 14 INT, 67.2 completion %
- Derrick Henry: 937 rushing yards, 10 TD
- AJ Brown: 63 catches, 869 yards, 5 TD

2022, Titans offensive coordinator 
- 21st DVOA
- 30th yards per game (296.8)
- 28th points per game (17.5)
- Ryan Tannehill: 2,536 yards, 13 TD, 6 INT, 65.2 completion % (12 games)
- Derrick Henry: 1,538 yards, 13 TD

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

There is no way to quantify that, one way or the other.

Make the change, it can't hurt anything and it might actually help.

I’m interested to see how they start games now.

Usually the first 12-15 plays of the games are scripted and game planned specific.

If they score on the opening drives Downing might be on to something.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

Who the hell hired him,  HCs are responsible for their staff.

I get that the Jets wanted to lure Aaron here, make Hackett a special assistant to the OC or passing coordinator. Who gives a Eff what his title was here. Saleh made him the OC. Saleh hired Carter. He is responsible for this mess. 

I bet defense attorneys would love to have you on their jury.

Quick question: can you read lol 

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are not changing anything.  Its hysterical you guys believe anything that comes out of these guys mouths.

Rodgers is running the show.  Hackett aint going anywhere..  

13-4 baby!

2 hours ago, Pac said:

For all the crap Hackett is taking, most of it deserved, the Jets were able to run the ball last year with far less talent on the line. 

Fact is right now the line is playing like sht.  Between Olu getting thrown around and the TEs missing block after block it's no wonder Breece can't get off.  

This vid is gross. 

Yeah but what that video doesn't show is all the revenge that is being had.

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I’m guessing humor isn’t one of your strong suit.

You made the same point I made lol. We literally said the same thing. 

also I cannot be held responsible for your lack of funny 

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Rumor is we might be switching play calling duties to Todd Downing. While a change I 100% think is needed. Let’s not act like Downing is this good offensive mind. His last year calling plays he had TEN as a bottom 2 offense in the league and even the year before that just middle of the pack.

So unless he’s changed drastically over the last couple years….. it’s hard to imagine he gets play calling duties and is a savior for us.

Well, to be fair.. in Tennessee he had Keith Carter coaching his offensive line so that makes it hard to have success.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Plen T said:

Downing actually has some good metrics

He was stuck with Tanny in Tenn and they had the worst receiver room in the sport

Look at him with Carr

Or maybe don't look.

Yeah it was a long time ago in his first stint as OC, but upon Downing getting promoted to OC in 2017 Carr's numbers plummeted in every metric without exception from 2016. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02/gamelog/#33-47-sum:stats

image.png

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02/gamelog/#48-62-sum:stats

image.png

A team that exhibits both fight and discipline marks an improvement. Immediate consequences for drops, subpar route-running, and missed blocks are necessary. Poor play-calling should not lead to losses; however, if this trend persists, starting afresh may be the best strategy moving forward.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Or maybe don't look.

Yeah it was a long time ago in his first stint as OC, but upon Downing getting promoted to OC in 2017 Carr's numbers plummeted in every metric without exception from 2016. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02/gamelog/#33-47-sum:stats

image.png

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02/gamelog/#48-62-sum:stats

image.png

That’s not plummeting lol

and 28-6 is a superb year for a can like Carr

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

You my friend are way too smart to actually believe it’s that simple.  Rodgers is not the play caller, he works with the play call and adjusts as he sees fit, within a box.

The play caller needs to think outside the box and put the offense in a starting position to succeed.  That is not forcing the run or continuing to use 2 TE sets that have become a liability.  Maybe it’s stretching the field, taking advantage of mismatches, going up tempo, using motion to identify defensive alignments, and adding some much needed creativity.   

Not being predictable and using creativity.  What a concept!  Has Hackett helped the OL and Rodgers out at all this year by calling a screen pass or draw?

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Or maybe don't look.

image.png

image.png

You're better than this.  Those numbers aren't plummeting. The only numbers that really dropped that much were Completion percentage and the number of interceptions doubled.  The Rushing yardage actually got better.  There could be many reasons to explain why Carr's numbers were down.  Were key offensive players from 2016 injured or on another team?  Since his number of fumbles increased, I would guess that maybe a key OL starter was injured and he was under pressure more, and the increased number of sacks seems to support that idea.  Did Carr have some injury or personal issues that distracted him?