Bill Belichick Comments On The Jets' Situation

From the YouTube transcript:

6:31

we relied on you when we all worked together in New England was you were the chief figure out officer right so when
6:36
there were problems you figured it out I mean every all of us would give you information and say this is what we think this is what we should do but you
6:43
were aware of the problems and you took input from everybody but then you solved the problems in the way you wanted to
6:50
solve them and to me the way the Jets are set up organizationally they don't have a problem solver it wasn't solah
6:56
cuz he wasn't solving any problems and it's not going to be Jeff all right cuz he won't have the authority to me it's
7:02
really hard on the coach if you don't have somebody in the building who can a recognize the problem and be have the
7:08
authority to then solve the problem right the lead there's got to be leadership in the building wherever that
7:14
comes from and and somebody has to answer to everybody else at some point whoever that is head coach general
7:20
manager owner president whoever it happens to be however it's structured and somebody's got to have the final say
7:25
somebody's got to provide some leadership and Direction not sure who that is the Jets I real I I I get the
7:30
sense it's really the owner I I really do and I mean that's fine he owns the team he can do anything he wants to do but to me they they're late to recognize
7:37
problems

High praise from BB for Jet fans...
10:22  (Note that there's a little bit of Mike Lombardi in here):
The Jet fans as much as they got on me for a long time I still respect the Jet fans for their their passion for the team even though it it hasn't had a great run here lately it doesn't deter them though they're optimistic as hell right always optimistic they're very vocal they're very very passionate and they have that base they have that support if they can just maybe figure it out here and get it going a little bit like those fans in there now uh when they're winning 34% when they're winning 64% I mean that place that yeah they will be unbearable
  • Upvote 2

11:57

Mike Lombardi: and the other thing I think that's fair to acknowledge for Salah is when you fire the head coach you're basically saying he was the problem right and we know the Jets have more than just a head coaching problem

BB: We know that

I didn't detect him as gloating and he is right. Now you know why he didn't want to take Jets job or ever work for Woody. Because you can't win with that ownership. But if WJ made him a financial offer he couldn't refuse I think he'd take it. But BB's best days as a coach are over. But he's great on ESPN. A million times better than RR who is a blowhard and always has been. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LSJF said:

In summary, what does he say, I can't watch this twat gloat....  Eff this guy...

It was a good interview and I think worth listening to.  If I had to give a quick summary it would be that he's saying that the Jets don't have a good structure in place.  There was a discussion where Mike Lombardi said he and Matt Patricia (also in the room during this interview) would help identify problems and make suggestions to BB but ultimately BB was the one who came up with the solutions to the problems.  They talked about how important it was to have someone be the ultimate decision maker.  They said they don't know who that person is for the Jets but that clearly whatever their structure is hasn't been working, as evidenced by over a decade of losing.   (I think they were pointing the finger at Woody, btw, but they never said that directly).   He did praise the Jets defense from recent years, btw.

They talked about how coaches and players have left the Jets and gone on to success elsewhere (Geno and Darnold along with Todd Bowles).  BB said that Saleh was a good coach and wouldn't have gotten the job if he wasn't.

They also talked about the passion of Jet fans (even during a 34% win percentage this past decade - or whatever timeframe they were referring to) and BB said something about how, if the team could ever win games, the fans would be unbearable to go up against (he meant that in a positive way).  

A HC is not supposed to be a problem solver?  I mean come on..

At best Saleh allowed his team to be fragmented at the seams.  No complimentary football.

At worst, the Jets played contradictory football under Saleh.   Don’t attack and get a lead, and let the D hold it.  Instead rely on 40 year old not what he used to be Rodgers to lead 4th quarter comebacks.  Where he is 0-3.  Or rely on your shaky FG kicker to make a 50 yarder.

A problem solver says we need complimentary football.  Rodgers needs to be protected and put in a spot to grab an early lead that will help push and keep the opposing Defense off balance throughout the game.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Sounds like he agrees with the firing

I think he's saying it was bigger than any one person.  He points to over a decade of losing and multiple coaches, GMs, etc.  He puts the blame more on the structure.  Imo, that's an indictment of Woody but he never directly said that.  I think he left it to the audience to deduce that for themselves

Just now, EM31 said:

Tongue meet anus.

"Please sir, may I have my job back again?"

I don't think he'd want to work for Woody.  Again, I think he was criticizing Woody for the failures.

Fwiw, though, he did say "we'll see" when it comes to what happens next.  I think he said "you never know".  So that's at least something for us to hang onto - lol.  Hopefully Ulbrich will be a natural HC and we'll already have our solution in-house.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

A HC is not supposed to be a problem solver?  I mean come on..

At best Saleh allowed his team to be fragmented at the seams.  No complimentary football.

At worst, the Jets played contradictory football under Saleh.   Don’t attack and get a lead, and let the D hold it.  Instead rely on 40 year old not what he used to be Rodgers to lead 4th quarter comebacks.  Where he is 0-3.  Or rely on your shaky FG kicker to make a 50 yarder.

A problem solver says we need complimentary football.  Rodgers needs to be protected and put in a spot to grab an early lead that will help push and keep the opposing Defense off balance throughout the game.  

“Contradictory” football. Sadly, we know it well.

JD and Saleh were the problems.   They may have been the problems because of the way Woody managed them.  

In week 6 Woody decided to fire “the problems”. Saleh got actually fired, and JD was neutered.   He is waiting to be fired.  Maybe he can save himself.   There is no sense firing the GM week 6.   Woody thought that Ulbrich and Downing could do a better job than Saleh and Hackett.  I don’t think that is crazy.  

But basically what appears to happen according to BB is that Woody sits around and lets JD and Saleh run the team.   Woody drops in to get Rodgers, or fire Saleh.  Impulse.  He has the authority but he is not really constructing the team.  It is just randomly interjecting.  At lease JJ runs that team every day and takes responsibility for it.  

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

It should be fun reading how so many of you here think Belichek doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Didn't bother watching, but what I gather is he apparently said what people here have been saying for 20 years.

What a genius. Such insight 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

listen to the 1st 10 mins so far. this is what i got.

they are blaming Woody without saying it. especially when they said they need a problem solver who also has the authority to do something about it. what does that mean? well i think it means Saleh had to fire someone and didnt have the authority to do it. thats crazy that your HC cant do that.

that has to be Hacket that he couldnt fire. it could also go back to Zach. he benched him 3 times but kept going back to him. maybe they forced him to keep taking him back?

another shot at Woody was when they were talking about what i keep saying, taking Ulrich away from the defense and giving him all this responsibility. how will the defense be now?

Belichick said, i hope they thought of that before they did this but the Jets have always been .......aim.......fire....shoot. means they do things without thinking.

i will listen to the rest later but to me i dont see them for or against the firing. its more of taking shots at Woody and the structure without saying Woodys name.

My takeaway is the owner meddles but that if a strong enough leader whether it be GM or HC can be the one who is able to show ownership what the issues are, and have the balls to solve the problems then they’ll keep running into the same problems.

And he is saying some of the blame is on the owner because of how the organization is setup.

I can’t say I disagree…you ultimately need a coach who knows what they’re doing to gain Woody’s trust.

26 minutes ago, doitny said:

listen to the 1st 10 mins so far. this is what i got.

they are blaming Woody without saying it. especially when they said they need a problem solver who also has the authority to do something about it. what does that mean? well i think it means Saleh had to fire someone and didnt have the authority to do it. thats crazy that your HC cant do that.

that has to be Hacket that he couldnt fire. it could also go back to Zach. he benched him 3 times but kept going back to him. maybe they forced him to keep taking him back?

another shot at Woody was when they were talking about what i keep saying, taking Ulrich away from the defense and giving him all this responsibility. how will the defense be now?

Belichick said, i hope they thought of that before they did this but the Jets have always been .......aim.......fire....shoot. means they do things without thinking.

i will listen to the rest later but to me i dont see them for or against the firing. its more of taking shots at Woody and the structure without saying Woodys name.

Did you mean "Ready, Fire, Aim"? 

Who messed up the idiom, you or the genius mastermind?

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

And for all you “but, but, he had Brady” guys… how many Super Bowls did the guys who coached Namath, Marino, Elway and Peyton Manning win compared to Belichek?

What’s the total in  fines for cheating for those coaches? Would need to divide something by that number to have accuracy. ? No? 

Just now, Green Ghost said:

What was that old, famous Al Davis line?

If you aren’t cheating you aren’t  trying? 100% true, until you get caught and fined to the point the commissioner of the league has to burn it to protect the league. Then it’s just cheating and you become a scumbag* 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think he's saying it was bigger than any one person.  He points to over a decade of losing and multiple coaches, GMs, etc.  He puts the blame more on the structure.  Imo, that's an indictment of Woody but he never directly said that.  I think he left it to the audience to deduce that for themselves

I don't think he'd want to work for Woody.  Again, I think he was criticizing Woody for the failures.

Fwiw, though, he did say "we'll see" when it comes to what happens next.  I think he said "you never know".  So that's at least something for us to hang onto - lol.  Hopefully Ulbrich will be a natural HC and we'll already have our solution in-house.

What it is is an indictment of JD. Now you can't fire the whole staff in the middle of the season. Ulbrich is the interim coach. They can still all be gone next year. They have this season to prove that there's enough worth salvaging here and maybe JD has learned something since he was a rookie GM. I still think this team is pretty well constructed and coached. If the all buy into the system I think they can do some damage. I'll give it a couple weeks to show me something.

I'll tell you that the best thing Hess ever did was hiring a HC/GM that had a proven track record and gave him full autonomy. 

I believe Kraft did the same thing. Even paying tampering charges with the league. 

George Young did try to replace Bill Parcells after his first year btw.