2025 Will be Another Year of This

I see a lot of people here and on social media assuming Rodgers will be gone and this team will be rebuilding next year. What is the basis for this logic? Do people think that Rodgers will suddenly become humble, and step aside so this franchise can progress? A few reminders:

1) Rodgers is probably the most conceited person in football right now, certainly on the Jets

2) Rodgers would be giving up in the region of $40m-$50m if he retires, and absolutely no one will take that contract off the Jets hands

3) Rodgers, Hackett and JD are under contract through next year, and Woody is notoriously cheap 

4) Adams, Lazard, etc are under contract through 2026, although Adams would not be price prohibitive to cut. Lazard is not on a good enough contract to be worth a trade.

5) Although he certainly had a better argument for his future at the time, Rodgers didn't exactly gracefully step aside for Green Bay

You can hate me for this take, but can you honestly convince me otherwise? I could see Woody removing JD and Ulbrich, despite them arguably being the two best Jets hires in 15+ years. Hackett I'm unsure about, but I can't imagine Rodgers wanting to learn a new offense, and Woody has already done everything to appease him.

I never liked Aaron Rodgers. I was miserable the day this team hired Nathaniel Hackett. I didn't even like the Reddick purchase, because as I said at the time, if it all goes wrong then we will need that 2026 pick in the rebuild. Still, I'll admit I didn't anticipate things going THIS bad. I actually expect the team to play more average next year, based off basic statistics, but it's readily apparent any super bowl potential was all hype. My only hope is that woody caves to media pressure even harder than usual, and truly cleans house, but even then I'd prefer to keep JD and this team's core... Much more likely we're stuck with this until 2026. Buckle up.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

Just now, Dcat said:

We will have many more years of this as long as Woody remains uninstitutionalized.  

True. But you know what I meant!

Until Rodgers is gone I can't even root for this team. I'd rather see Tyrod Taylor trying his best, or almost anyone else. Maybe not Tim Boyle but that's about the line...

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Woody won’t cut the kicker who can’t kick because of his guaranteed salary 

You, sir, may now take a back seat to the rest of us ripping on Woody.  Sit back... enjoy the ride...  the rest of will take over for you now.  Same for @bitonti and @Biteme*

• Haha 3

Rodgers could be back. Retirement is a possibility though. Jets will need a vet QB anyway. Getting rid of Rodgers would be a large cap hit I believe and then you may still need a Qb unless Tyrod Taylor is the starting Qb. Will have to draft a qb and see if Jordan Travis is useful in any way. Try to get rid of as many players over 30 as possible and rebuild AGAIN.

Rodgers will be 41 next year. He is beat up and washed up. Even he realizes this is the end. The GM and entire coaching staff will be fired. Reddick and Adams will both be gone among others. There is no way they are bringing any of this back unless they go on a miracle run which is not happening. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barkus said:

Rodgers could be back. Retirement is a possibility though. Jets will need a vet QB anyway. Getting rid of Rodgers would be a large cap hit I believe and then you may still need a Qb unless Tyrod Taylor is the starting Qb. Will have to draft a qb and see if Jordan Travis is useful in any way. Try to get rid of as many players over 30 as possible and rebuild AGAIN.

I just can't see him giving up the money or letting himself go out so pathetically. 

IMO, only another major injury and subsequent rehab could actually bring retirement into the equation. 

Just now, Mr. Rogers said:

I just can't see him giving up the money or letting himself go out so pathetically. 

IMO, only another major injury and subsequent rehab could actually bring retirement into the equation. 

Agreed.  But more the ego than the money.  Unless he acknowledges that his skills have regressed to mediocre and doesn't want that seen.  That's the one exception that can happen.

In any event, I don't want him back.  It's time to start over. 

Bringing him back is futile.  But Woody only sees the lost dollars.

• Upvote 1

Let's say Rodgers stays as a stop-gap.

Same problem the Jets have had for years remains: Who is being groomed to be his replacement like he was to Favre and Love was to Rodgers.

We'll draft someone else and throw them to the wolves or we'll go get another over-the-hill FA QB.

2025 and 2026 will be even worse when AVT, Sauce, Wilson and Breece take FA deals elsewhere. 

image.png.6f06eb40a74e675f33359f4010030401.png

image.png.8fa522e02eccb864debe615f41fe130f.png

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I would be shocked if Rodgers doesn't retire after this season. He's getting beat up, his body isn't healing like it used to and it's impacting his play. Why would he want to do it again?

This and the way the team is performing there’s no reason to think they’re going to turn it around next season.  Why would he want another year of losing?

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I would be shocked if Rodgers doesn't retire after this season. He's getting beat up, his body isn't healing like it used to and it's impacting his play. Why would he want to do it again?

Huh? Why would he not retire after his injury filled, rough last year with the packers then? Or after the Achilles last year?

Prepare to be shocked, I'd say.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Huh? Why would he not retire after his injury filled, rough last year with the packers then? Or after the Achilles last year?

Prepare to be shocked, I'd say.

Because he believed he could still play at an MVP level with his BFF as OC. The reality of father time is setting in and Hackett is gone.

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This and the way the team is performing there’s no reason to think they’re going to turn it around next season.  Why would he want another year of losing?

To respond to both - because he is a stubborn, prideful, and delusional guy? And will also lose $40-50 million dollars? Even if his self doubts are powerful enough to sway him from wanting to pridefully go out on top (a la Manning or Brady), the money will bring him back.

Not to mention the Jets set this up in a way where he'd be abandoning his teammates and the people brought in to help him if he left. Despite seeming so conceited, I think Rodgers does care for his friends. Although it'd arguably be better for everyone involved (besides Hackett) for him to retire, I really, strongly doubt he is thinking with the logic the rest of us are.

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Because he believed he could still play at an MVP level with his BFF as OC. The reality of father time is setting in and Hackett is gone.

I disagree. I don't blame people for hoping otherwise, but I think assuming Hackett and Rodgers will be removed by Woody is nearly as naive as assuming the Jets were immediate super bowl contenders with them. Guess we'll have to wait and see 

Edit: also dude, the money. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

To respond to both - because he is a stubborn, prideful, and delusional guy? And will also lose $40-50 million dollars? Even if his self doubts are powerful enough to sway him from wanting to pridefully go out on top (a la Manning or Brady), the money will bring him back.

Not to mention the Jets set this up in a way where he'd be abandoning his teammates and the people brought in to help him if he left. Despite seeming so conceited, I think Rodgers does care for his friends. Although it'd arguably be better for everyone involved (besides Hackett) for him to retire, I really, strongly doubt he is thinking with the logic the rest of us are.

At this point the only way i can see Rodgers staying here another year even after they fire jd and the coaches, is if the new regime picks a qb and then has him sit behind rodgers first.  

6 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Hmm. Fair enough. I think I assumed that, since he was hired partway through 2019, his 6 year deal extended through 2025. Guess it counted all of 2019 as a year.

I don't think that significantly alters my point, though. Woody himself has hitched his wagon to Rodgers and shown he is willing to appease him. I doubt Rodgers feels especially loyal to Douglas. I still think Rodgers and hackett will be back.

31 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

His stance this entire time has been: if he can still play at the high level he's used to, he'll consider playing.

I honestly doubt he ends this sh!tshow of a season thinking he played well and the rest of the team is good.  He was ready to hang it up in GB, regardless of his contract.  Everything else is going to get blown up, I'd be surprised if he sticks around.

EDIT: The most likely way he stays, imo, would be due to his teammates, but who knows what's happening to any of them.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

His stance this entire time has been: if he can still play at the high level he's used to, he'll consider playing.

I honestly doubt he ends this sh!tshow of a season thinking he played well and the rest of the team is good.  He was ready to hang it up in GB, regardless of his contract.  Everything else is going to get blown up, I'd be surprised if he sticks around.

EDIT: The most likely way he stays, imo, would be due to his teammates, but who knows what's happening to any of them.

I honestly wasn't buying the two bolded parts. Especially the part where he said he was considering retirement in GB - I don't think anyone who was legitimately on the verge of retirement is being dissuaded by Woody Johnson and the New York Jets lol.

I think the whole darkness retreat and subsequent McAfee show "decision" was just for show. Rodgers never wanted to go out ugly. He just likes a little dramatic flair.

It could be that this season will be what finally gets him to acknowledge his fading abilities and injury issues, but the recent track record doesn't support that idea. He's come back after the last 2 seasons too. What is obvious to us as fans may not be so obvious to him, especially when he has truthfully played at a decent level for chunks of this season. I hope you're right, though.