Leon Washington for Herman Edwards

Bugg

You can knock an RB off our priority list. We just found our Warrick Dunn in this kid. Washington is really really good. He has the vision, anticipation, he can stop and go on a dime, he has ballerina like ballance, and runs with a punch for a smaller kid. Give him his 225-250 carries a year and find a big bruiser to compliment him (maybe houston or barlow) and we are fine at RB especially when we upgrade the RT position.

O yea, and its better off that KCs kicker pulled that FG out of his arse. That evens things out in the AFC wild card picture. The Chiefs are going nowhere. Not really concerned about them.

You can knock an RB off our priority list. We just found our Warrick Dunn in this kid. Washington is really really good. He has the vision, anticipation, he can stop and go on a dime, he has ballerina like ballance, and runs with a punch for a smaller kid. Give him his 225-250 carries a year and find a big bruiser to compliment him (maybe houston or barlow) and we are fine at RB especially when we upgrade the RT position.

I agree JM57 that's the guy I would compare him too-Dunn

Yup, now just draft a couple of pass rushers along with a CB and a RT in the early rounds, maybe a TE and a WR in the later rounds.

Washington needs to do this with consistency before we scratch running back off our list of team needs.

It's a nice start, though. Our running backs are certainly in better shape than we thought they were a month ago.

True, but he showed me enough that I think he can do that. It's better than the garbage we were getting out of Barlow for so long, we had no hope for him. We still need a better RT and some maulers next to Brick and Mangold, but we will have a run game now. The big tests remaining on the schedule are the Patriots and Bears. We're going to need the pass to work for that, and we'll know if Chad is the answer from those two games.

A phukcin' steal and a half of a trade.

Damn shame that KC managed to kick a last second FG to win today. You cannot have everything.

hey I could care less about KC-my focus is on Miami, Buffalo and always New England and especially now-the Cleveland Browns next week

No knock on Dunn but he closer to Tiki Barber-both are are betwwen 200-205 or so and dunn is about 175-180. He is closer to Dunn in height. I'll take either but if he shows durability and consistency-can be a feature back. He is quick awith good speed.

Leon has been playing really well but I do not see him as a every down back for 16 games season. Barber is more muscular and shown that he can do it all for the Giants so I would not put Leon in his class.

Well, most teams don't have one guy running the ball 95% of the time anyway, Leon should be good for 60-70% of the carries, and we have either Barlow or Houston pick up the rest of that. Houston isn't really an every down back either, so the two should work very well together. We probably can get away with paying them less too.

The big tests remaining on the schedule are the Patriots and Bears. We're going to need the pass to work for that, and we'll know if Chad is the answer from those two games.

i actually think the big test is going to be minnesota. if the jets can beat minnesota and go 5-1 or 6-0 against these stinkers they are looking at the playoffs.

cle

houston

oak

green bay

mia

buf

Leon has been playing really well but I do not see him as a every down back for 16 games season. Barber is more muscular and shown that he can do it all for the Giants so I would not put Leon in his class.

Don't quite understand how you can say Barber is more muscular-they weight the same and Leon is an inch or two shorter. Neither is going through a tough DL but will bounce off or cut away. I am not putting Washington in Barber's class yet just comparing types. BTW-CMart was never more than 210-212.

Well, most teams don't have one guy running the ball 95% of the time anyway, Leon should be good for 60-70% of the carries, and we have either Barlow or Houston pick up the rest of that. Houston isn't really an every down back either, so the two should work very well together. We probably can get away with paying them less too.

Remember that going into the season it was a rbbc, with the hopes that someone would step up. Cedric stepped up but went down, and Leon has (as predicted) stepped it up big. It's still gonna be a rbbc, with barlow in the mix in a Matt Snell type of role. Getting some tough short yardage- though Snell was a much better player and blocker.

Leon is the goods, and he will be most most effective if he is used properly. Schotty doing a real good job with that.

When Houston returns, the rbbc will get better still.

At 202 pounds and having yet to participate in an NFL strength and conditioning program Leon Washington is already pretty strong when he runs for a guy his size. When the Jets get him in their strength program and he adds a few more pounds of muscle he is only gonna improve as a player.

Leon does look good!! Tiki was not an everydown back untill is 3rd year or so, and still ahs always split time, whether it was Dayne or Jacobs now.....Leon sure does hit the whole quick though, with with great explosive ness

I remember that pretty well. Fassel was convinced Tiki was too light to be an every-down back. Made him put on an add'l 10 lbs or so & Tiki was slow as sh*t; got 3.2ypc that year before getting injured. Came back at his normal playing weight & after the Ron Dayne experiment was over has been one of the top 5 most dangerous RB's ever since.

Some guys just have "it" and you have to ignore the height/weight chart. It's not like he (or Leon) is 150 lbs.

I remember that pretty well. Fassel was convinced Tiki was too light to be an every-down back. Made him put on an add'l 10 lbs or so & Tiki was slow as sh*t; got 3.2ypc that year before getting injured. Came back at his normal playing weight & after the Ron Dayne experiment was over has been one of the top 5 most dangerous RB's ever since.

Some guys just have "it" and you have to ignore the height/weight chart. It's not like he (or Leon) is 150 lbs.

Tikki also fumble da lot for a while. the only good thing fassel did as head coach was show him how to hold the ball. I liken leon more to tikki than anyone else which is a huge compliment. leon still has lots to learn. both he & the oline improving as they go along? houston is the goods as well. this jet offense is gonna be fun to watch for a long time folks.

Remember that going into the season it was a rbbc, with the hopes that someone would step up. Cedric stepped up but went down, and Leon has (as predicted) stepped it up big. It's still gonna be a rbbc, with barlow in the mix in a Matt Snell type of role. Getting some tough short yardage- though Snell was a much better player and blocker.

Leon is the goods, and he will be most most effective if he is used properly. Schotty doing a real good job with that.

When Houston returns, the rbbc will get better still.

good post JC-good analogy too with the Snell comparison-hey those Jets had Snell,Boozer and Bill Mathis-that was a rbbc deal that year-I totally agree when Cedric comes back someone is gonna have to go-BJ Askew or Blaylock-probably the latter

Tikki also fumble da lot for a while. the only good thing fassel did as head coach was show him how to hold the ball. I liken leon more to tikki than anyone else which is a huge compliment. leon still has lots to learn. both he & the oline improving as they go along? houston is the goods as well. this jet offense is gonna be fun to watch for a long time folks.

I think they have a similar style also. He's got a ways to go before we talk about them as similar RB's though.

Tiki didn't really find the cure for his fumblitis until well after Fassel was gone (2004).

Under Fassel:

'97: 136 carries, 3 fumbles (1/45 fumble/carry ratio)

'98: 52 carries, 1 fumble (1/52)

'99: 62 carries, 5 fumbles (1/12)

'00: 213 carries, 9 fumbles (1/24)

'01: 166 carries, 8 fumbles (1/21)

'02: 304 carries, 9 fumbles (1/34)

'03: 278 carries, 9 fumbles (1/31)

Total = 44/1211 = 1 fumble every 27.5 carries

Under Coughlin:

'04: 322 carries, 5 fumbles (1/64)

'05: 357 carries, 1 fumble (1/357)

'06: 102 carries, 0 fumbles (0/102)

Total = 6/781 = 1 fumble every 130.2 carries

you're right sperm, it was coughlin who worked with him after his 1st year.

man I really think leon has all the goods to become a great one. when he shows his skills vs the pats i'll be real impressed. right now I have every reason to believe he will. as mangini,chad & the oline goes, so goes leon washington.

good post JC-good analogy too with the Snell comparison-hey those Jets had Snell,Boozer and Bill Mathis-that was a rbbc deal that year-I totally agree when Cedric comes back someone is gonna have to go-BJ Askew or Blaylock-probably the latter

Blaylock is already "gone." He didn't suit up for the last game even though Barlow and Leon were the only two runners active. Don't think they could sit Askew since Barlow just now seems to be understanding the RB plays, to expect him to learn FB would be a bit much and Hodgins seems sketchy to me.

Archived