Scout.com Mock Draft: We get Mangolds Buddy

SouthernJet

LaRon Landy falling to the Pats at 19? Dream on. That guy is a solid Top 10 pick.

Ted Ginn Jr.? He won't be much of anything in the pro's except a glorified KR / PR. Much like Devin Hester and you'd be paying Top 5 money for him? Right.

Don't see Pit**** at all.

The Jets already have a small quick NT. What they need at NT is the BIG run stuffer

I've never really watched him play so I don't know what type of tackle he is,but just looking at his size I'd bet if the Jets drafted Pitc0ck,he'd be moved to end in the 3-4

I've never really watched him play so I don't know what type of tackle he is,but just looking at his size I'd bet if the Jets drafted Pitc0ck,he'd be moved to end in the 3-4

At his size 6'3" 296 he might fit as a 3-4 DE.

But, do the Jets really want to spend a 1st on a project?

I hate to "chump" another man's mock draft, but Adam Carriker has to be on that list....

He's the freak in room.....6' 6", 300 pounds and has the speed and agility of a linebacker....Can throw a football almost 80 yards effortlessly (was a high school QB)....Word at Nebraska is he's so scary looking, regular students are terrified of him.

When the the JI draft guru's were micro-analayzing Carriker and putting foolish thoughts in Bitonti's head (Carikker sucks, based on 1 average game), I stepped in and told him don't doubt this freak, until he workouts poorly (which won't happen)....

As Jetmoses once alluded to: Prospects that don't have "cool names" are sometimes shunned by the average fan....

Maybe if Carriker changed his name to Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila or Darnell Bing, he'd be a lock top 5 pick in mock drafts :bag:

Word at Nebraska is he's so scary looking, regular students are terrified of him.

I don't blame them.

carrikeradam1366150cw4.jpg

And I agree with you; Carriker has to be a big-time priority for us. He's a good value (probable 2nd rounder, although there's a good chance he jumps up after the combine), and he would be a perfect fit at DE...especially since Kimo is most likely gone after this season.

Thanks faba....

dbateman, I take pride in the fact that at DD.com we don't pretend to be scouts -- we aren't locking ourselves in a room, watching 100 hrs. of tapes a week. Instead, we try to accumulate info from N.F.L. scouts, elite college coaches, Gi Brandt types, ect. and go forward.

Here is the info we got in 2005: Carriker was projected by the N.F.L.'s DRAFT ADVISORY PANEL as a borderline 1st to 2nd round pick in 2005....They told him in 2005, if he stayed in school, he'd be an almost virtual lock as a #1 pick after his senior season.

Those were the facts, reported by Nebraska papers....

So, I agree with you. He's a very viable candidate for the Jets. I'd love to see the Jets draft him, but as Bitonti has said, he may not make it to the Jets pick.

As Jetmoses once said (after JN's fans were livid of Eric Smith being drafted in round 3), players that don't have "cool names" get little slack from some fans -- particularly the high school and college crowd, looking for posterboys.

Adam Carriker sounds like a accountant, so he can't be worth a first pick, right?

Per our info, unless he totally humilaites himself at the Combine, he's a first round lock -- may be a better athlete than Gaines Adams, except with a less cool name :baby:

I don't care who we get actually. I just don't want to reach because they are a good guy or football smart. If they can play and have good character lets draft them. No more Schegal types.

I didn't hate the Schlegal pick, but I had predicted Eric Smith as an early 4th rounder and Schlegal as a 6th rounder, so while I disagreed with most that Smith was a reach, I agreed that Schlegal "might be" a reach.

You hate to give up on Schlegal, but maybe he is bust? Particularly at the age of 25 or 26, already.

Here's the good news, however: Look back at all the good/great drafts in history, there is always going to be 1 bad pick or 2....it just happens, no matter how well you scout.

Here's the key: You either need to have extra picks in the drafts (like the Jets had) or make good in the latter rounds or undrafted free agents.

I didn't hate the Schlegal pick, but I had predicted Eric Smith as an early 4th rounder and Schlegal as a 6th rounder, so while I disagreed with most that Smith was a reach, I agreed that Schlegal "might be" a reach.

You hate to give up on Schlegal, but maybe he is bust? Particularly at the age of 25 or 26, already.

Here's the good news, however: Look back at all the good/great drafts in history, there is always going to be 1 bad pick or 2....it just happens, no matter how well you scout.

Here's the key: You either need to have extra picks in the drafts (like the Jets had) or make good in the latter rounds or undrafted free agents.

I'm not giving up on Schlegal yet. It ussually takes some time for a rookie LB to get acclimated with this defense. Even first round picks ussually only play in specific situations. But hey even if he is a lifetime contributer on ST - that is not a bust, not for where he was drafted.

I'm not giving up on Schlegal yet. It ussually takes some time for a rookie LB to get acclimated with this defense. Even first round picks ussually only play in specific situations. But hey even if he is a lifetime contributer on ST - that is not a bust, not for where he was drafted.

That's a great point RSherry....Sometimes I see fans on message boards attack coaches and teams like pitbulls for missing on 5th and 6th rounds picks. I'm like, are freaking joking?

Don't they realize the vast majority of players picked between the 4th and 7th rounds are out of football after a few seasons.

Top 3 rounds, you look for starters....4th to 5th round you hope for starters, expect special teams help....the last 2 rounds, you just roll the dice.

Schelgal was one of the last picks in the 3rd round, so he's a borderline player....You can hope a player drafted in that spot is a starter, but can't expect it.

With the 2 offensive lineman in round one, plus Eric Smith, Drew Coleman, Brad Smith and ESPECIALLY Leon Washington aboard, the Jets look like they had an excellent draft :box:

If players like Clemens and Schlegal come around, the draft class is just that much better.

RSHerry I agree, to a degree, about the Tedford factor.

For example, his backup Justin Forsett got almost no DI-A offers. He was seen as a I-AA prospect.....But as a favor to his high school coach -- former All-Pro NFL TE Mike Barber -- he got a scholarship to Cal. Forsett, in Cal's system, is a star. So is Lynch a great player, or a system player?

The only info we got, is Lynch is leaning strongly towards leaving early because he comes from a bad economic sitution.....Regarding next season, he's been quoted as saying "they (Cal) will do fine"....meaning he's probably gone.

"Cal insiders" think he'll be a high pick, but won't talk on the record. He's got a lot of talent, but NFL scouts really have to break him down a lot. A lot of backs can excel in that spread offense. If Forsett can, a lot could.

I'm not giving up on him, look at Bryan Thomas. Sometimes it just takes the right scheme and motivation. However, as of right now he should be at least on the st unit, so for me he is currently a bust. That doesn't mean he can't change. I don't want Pit**** or Lynch. Pit**** is another version of D-rob and Lynch makes me nervous. There are going to be some good cb, wr, and de around in the 20's. I would go for the highest rated guy. Probably cb or de. Second round I take Bush with the Redskins pick if he is there, with our second 2nd round pick a lot of people are talking about a te. But, I like to go get an og. Baker is doing a nice job. Not great but next year it looks like he will get some more touches. What is our current fb situation looking like? You guys think askew is going to stay???

R44, what do you think of Tyrone MOss? While not as talented as Gore I think he is going to be a nice find for a team in the mid roundS. He has talent but couldnt really shine behind some putrid Hurricane OLINES.

Jetman, Moss is a good one....I had him ranked real high coming into the season....But the injury has forced him to lose momentum -- hence the Senior Bowl snub.

I think, as always, there are a small group of RB's that are just awesome prospects...after that there is a large pool of mid-rounders (i.e Leon Washington, who I thought was awesome at F.S.U. in 2004) that can acheive a lot if given a solid shot to run the ball.

Moss is in that group with Tony Hunt, Deshawn Wynn, Selvin Young, Brian Leonard, ect.

Here's a nice article I recently blogged at DD.com:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/orl-um2506dec25,0,22960.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines-college

That's a great point RSherry....Sometimes I see fans on message boards attack coaches and teams like pitbulls for missing on 5th and 6th rounds picks. I'm like, are freaking joking?

Don't they realize the vast majority of players picked between the 4th and 7th rounds are out of football after a few seasons.

Top 3 rounds, you look for starters....4th to 5th round you hope for starters, expect special teams help....the last 2 rounds, you just roll the dice.

Schelgal was one of the last picks in the 3rd round, so he's a borderline player....You can hope a player drafted in that spot is a starter, but can't expect it.

With the 2 offensive lineman in round one, plus Eric Smith, Drew Coleman, Brad Smith and ESPECIALLY Leon Washington aboard, the Jets look like they had an excellent draft :box:

If players like Clemens and Schlegal come around, the draft class is just that much better.

never been a big fan of drafting the MiddleLB that had had 2 AllAmerica OoutsideLBs on his flank ;)

Wow surprised how high he has ND's wr and safety going. I am an ND fan and did not think they would go that high

Agreed. I'd be suprised to see Ziboski go before the 3rd. He's a nice palyer and has all that intagible stuff, but I cannot see a team taking any safety that early. He's not close to talented as Reed or Polamalu.

If we picked Quinton Pitcock in round 1 and the next 2 picks were Levi Brown and Marshawn Lynch, I'd absolutely lose it.

I agree!I would love to see Levi Brown at right tackle for the Jets.We would definitely have a running game if that happens.He's pretty good in pass protection too,especially at RT and can fill in at LT in a pinch.

Archived