Whitlock's postgame article

Jetlag

Chiefs' Edwards has some explaining to do

By Jason Whitlock

INDIANAPOLIS - You can blame Mike Solari and Eddie Kennison and Trent Green.

You can bash Carl Peterson and Jordan Black and Dante Hall.

You can cry that Will Shields is too old, Casey Wiegmann too small and John Welbourn too unathletic.

You can wince because Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson are too outspoken.

Go ahead and point your finger in any direction you want. They all played a role in the most embarrassing offensive performance in the history of the NFL.

But all the people mentioned above have an out for what happened inside the RCA Dome on Saturday afternoon when the Chiefs' offense threw away KC's latest playoff opportunity.

They were all here when Dick Vermeil turned the Kansas City offense into one of the most exciting, quick-strike units in the league.

Herm Edwards was not.

In the aftermath of Kansas City's 23-8 loss to the Colts, Edwards was asked to explain how one of the NFL's worst defenses shut down an offense that had set records for five years under Vermeil.

"I have no idea," Edwards said. "I'm puzzled, too, just like you. ... It's the same plays. We didn't change it."

It's my job to solve puzzles. It's not the same offense.

"Hell, no," said Gonzalez.

"It's similar," said Brian Waters. "Same plays, same calls, but it's not the same offense."

Green added: "Even though it's the same system, it's called quite differently."

The only logical thing to conclude is that the one completely new ingredient changed the offense. I know why Edwards did it. I even agreed with his thinking. But he just went completely overboard on Saturday and in the week leading up to the game.

You already know the ugly statistics. Larry Johnson averaged 2.5 yards per carry against a defense that had been surrendering 5.3 yards per attempt. The Chiefs didn't pick up a first down until three minutes, 33 seconds were left in the third quarter. They went three-and-out on seven straight possessions. At one point, the Colts had 22 first downs and the Chiefs had 21 yards.

"That was ridiculous," said Gonzalez, who complained that KC's play-calling was far too predictable. "We can't even get a first down. That was embarrassing. Ridiculous."

The Chiefs tried to run Johnson between the guards. When the game was being decided in the first half, Kansas City never threw the ball down field. They faced third and long on every possession and Kansas City's receivers dropped darn near every pass that hit them in the hands.

Kansas City's offense choked. The question that must be answered is why.

Herm Edwards.

Kansas City's offense overachieved for five years under Vermeil because Vermeil convinced his players that Trent Green was the second coming of Joe Montana. Vermeil fed Green's ego, built him into a great leader and maintained a delicate offensive chemistry around the belief that Green's leadership intangibles made KC's offense special.

Green's age, the concussion he suffered and Damon Huard's success disturbed that delicate chemistry the second half of the regular season. Edwards destroyed what was left of the Green chemistry when Edwards insinuated to the media that he would bench Green if the quarterback played poorly in Indianapolis.

Edwards took the cape off . Green's teammates internalized the pressure and cracked.

I asked Herm if his offensive players were mentally prepared. Herm said they were "overanxious." He said they may have put too much pressure on themselves.

Why? Could it be that they felt pressure to perform when their coach announced that anyone, including Trent Green, who doesn't play well will get benched.

"Veteran guys," Green explained, "came up to me this week and said, `You're our guy. Don't look over your shoulder.' "

The players took note of Edwards' mid-week comments. Edwards preached all week about how the playoffs were different, and how he was different at playoff time.

There's a science to getting players to relax and play well in big games. Some coaches_Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick_have the knack. Other coaches_Marty Schottenheimer_don't.

Kansas City's performance - not the loss, the offensive performance - falls squarely on Edwards' shoulders. He mishandled this team.

Now, that does not mean that Green, Solari, Peterson and all the others are blameless. It just means that what happened on Saturday is deeper than personnel, deeper than play-calling, deeper than Damon Huard playing ahead of Green.

Edwards has some tough questions he must ask himself, too. He proved he can prepare a defense for a big game. He also proved he can sabotage an offense.

Tony Gonzo is ripe for the picking and we have the cap room. He would be a very, very nice addition.

I still can't believe Herm goes and tells the opposing coach to go win it all immediatly after his season ends. Even if they are good friends - Herm represents 53 players, some of which may never get this chance again.

Herm said prior to the game that is they were down 14 points in the 4th qtr that the Chiefs would lose. ARE YOU KIDDING!!?!?!??!

Wow, I didn't even know that.

I also am disappointed that everyone is giving the Chiefs credit for a great defensive game. Peyton Manning gave the game away one offense and still score 23 points. The Colts ran the ball down the chiefs throat.

So herm is an awful coach because he said that anyone who played bad would be benched? Isn't that the same thing we love mangini for doing???

Totally different. From DAY ONE Mangini has maintained that as his stance on who starts & who sits.

Herm doesn't have competition for jobs. QB or any other position, as long as the starter is not injured. All year long it's been Trent-is-the-qb if he's medically cleared. All season long. And even already said that the job is Trent's NEXT year too. He waits until the week of the PLAYOFFS to change his tune. And then said player is certainly less than stellar. And then doesn't pull him.

I'm trying to imagine a worse way of handling it.

Wow, I didn't even know that.

I also am disappointed that everyone is giving the Chiefs credit for a great defensive game. Peyton Manning gave the game away one offense and still score 23 points. The Colts ran the ball down the chiefs throat.

Great defensive game? The interceptions were terible passes by Manning. Addai went for over 100 yards. The Colts got 900 yards of offense. What gvreat defensive game? Peyton tried to lose the game in the first half but the Chiefs did not want it.

So herm is an awful coach because he said that anyone who played bad would be benched? Isn't that the same thing we love mangini for doing???

Also to add to what Sperm just said, Mangini actually practices what he preaches! When it came abundantly clear that Green was ineffective, he did not pull him for Huard. So not only did he piss his players off but he couldn't even follow through with it.

In the aftermath of Kansas City's 23-8 loss to the Colts, Edwards was asked to explain how one of the NFL's worst defenses shut down an offense that had set records for five years under Vermeil.

"I have no idea," Edwards said. "I'm puzzled, too, just like you. ... It's the same plays. We didn't change it."

:rl:

That's JI's premium writer's boy!

I heard someone say during the broadcast that there was NO WAY he would pull Green yesterday.Did you guys hear Larry X also complaing about no adjustments being made?

Also,how about KC's offense STILL being in a huddle in the 4th quarter and using up 30 seconds on every play?Where was the no huddle offense?-Herm makes NO in-game changes...he was without any answer.

My wife can read lips sometimes and right after that 2nd Ty Law INT the Chiefs go 3 and out-fast too.They show Law on the sidelines and after the 3rd down failure he's grabbing his helmet and mouths "Fock me" in disgust

I heard someone say during the broadcast that there was NO WAY he would pull Green yesterday.Did you guys hear Larry X also complaing about no adjustments being made?

That "someone" was quoting Herm directly. Herm was asked in the locker room if he would pull Green and he said (I'm paraphrasing) "why would I do that?"

The implication of course was that Herm felt the Chiefs were still in it, and it wasn't Green's fault why they had only 16 first half plays.

That "someone" was quoting Herm directly. Herm was asked in the locker room if he would pull Green and he said (I'm paraphrasing) "why would I do that?"

The implication of course was that Herm felt the Chiefs were still in it, and it wasn't Green's fault why they had only 16 first half plays.

it was typical Edwards game wasn't it JM? Just like last year run,run,3rd and long pass...punt.The time of possesion was absolutely pitiful-if it weren't for KC always TAKING 30 seconds to even run a play it would have looked even worse-

what was the time of possesion difference anybody know?

Herm needs to learn something

9 men in the box = Throw the Football

You wouldh have thought that after the first two series where the Colts were basically daring them to throw the football you would at least take shot.

Here is what you need to know about yesterday

KC Wide Recievers = 0 receptions.

Herm needs to learn something

9 men in the box = Throw the Football

You wouldh have thought that after the first two series where the Colts were basically daring them to throw the football you would at least take shot.

Here is what you need to know about yesterday

KC Wide Recievers = 0 receptions.

They did drop a couple, though. Probably the shock of having a football thrown at them during a game.

Could you guys even imagine what Lil Schott would do with LJ in our offense against the putrid Colts?

God why does Herm keep getting handed great talent only to WASTE it??!?!

It's nice knowing even if we had a RB like LJ that if a team was stupid enough to keep putting 8-9 in the box, we'd torch 'em.

They did drop a couple, though. Probably the shock of having a football thrown at them during a game.

Yea that's why you have Tony G, you're best receiving threat, run that seam route that Dallas Clark made look like a pitch and catch yesterday.

Herm and Solari are morons. Although I really don't know how much you can blame an OC who works under Herm.

217363773332.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS | You can blame Mike Solari and Eddie Kennison and Trent Green.You can bash Carl Peterson and Jordan Black and Dante Hall.You can cry that Will Shields is too old, Casey Wiegmann too small and John Welbourn too unathletic.You can wince because Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson are too outspoken.Go ahead and point your finger in any direction you want. They all played a role in the most embarrassing offensive performance in the history of the NFL.But all the people mentioned above have an out for what happened inside the RCA Dome on Saturday afternoon when the Chiefs

Archived