JetNation's Biggest Loser thread..Now open to the public!

TaborJet

I don't know how many of you Fit Club members are devoutly religious but now being Lent is a good time as any to give up something that may help you lose weight. I mean it's a decent option for some. If you stick to it for the duration then it will be very beneficial. And if you don't you're going to Hell.

In Hell, all that heat is bound to make you sweat out some excess water weight, in the very least. Haha.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Hell, all that heat is bound to make you sweat out some excess water weight, in the very least. Haha.

Actually one way to burn more calories is to keep your house cooler. Your body will recognize that it's colder and will burn more calories to warm you up. I'm not talking significantly colder but turn down the thermostat a few degrees and it will help. Just a little tidbit.

yesterday 56 minutes today 52... my shin was bothering me a bit

was thinking of trying yoga... i am pretty flexible but i have heard that it can help with overall health.

anyone try it? there are so many different kinds ..i would love some opinions.

thaanks!! :D

Actually one way to burn more calories is to keep your house cooler. Your body will recognize that it's colder and will burn more calories to warm you up. I'm not talking significantly colder but turn down the thermostat a few degrees and it will help. Just a little tidbit.

No wonder I was skinny as a kid.. my dad was always stingy with the thermostat!

yesterday 56 minutes today 52... my shin was bothering me a bit

was thinking of trying yoga... i am pretty flexible but i have heard that it can help with overall health.

anyone try it? there are so many different kinds ..i would love some opinions.

thaanks!! :D

yoga is the bomb gg. any of the yoga/stretching classes are great. flexibility is much more important than building muscles

Week One: 7.6lbs

Week Two: 2.2lbs

Week Three: 1.6lbs

Week Four: 1.4lbs

Week Five 1.4lbs

Still under 15. It's going slower than I hoped. I need to burn more calories.

good work alpha and omega!!! slow and steady wins the race! you are doing great...

i am too scared to get on the scale...

i am averaging about 52 minutes on the treadmill now...

i will be zoftig but at least i will have more lung capacity! OY!

oh well...i am not going to get discouraged yet!

good work alpha and omega!!! slow and steady wins the race! you are doing great...

i am too scared to get on the scale...

i am averaging about 52 minutes on the treadmill now...

i will be zoftig but at least i will have more lung capacity! OY!

oh well...i am not going to get discouraged yet!

50 minutes of anything cardio is great. Nothing to be discouraged about. You are doing good.

I am happy that the weight keeps going down. I have slacked lately though (weekends) and had to make up for it during the week. So I know the totals could be much higher. On a good note I am not doing anything that I can't do for the rest of my life. Just trying to make better decisions.

50 minutes of anything cardio is great. Nothing to be discouraged about. You are doing good.

I am happy that the weight keeps going down. I have slacked lately though (weekends) and had to make up for it during the week. So I know the totals could be much higher. On a good note I am not doing anything that I can't do for the rest of my life. Just trying to make better decisions.

yeah at my advanced age, things take longer..LOL

the funny thing..is that i feel guilty when i take a "rest" day...

i agree that i could probably do this for the rest of my life.

OK..I am back on with the team and I am officially on the wagon..I woke up at 5AM to go to the gym this morning..hammered my shoulders and abba dabba's,then I did 40 minutes on the elliptical machine...I feel great..also..no beer for me until March 17th:1cry: ..I am on my strict Vodka and club soda with fresh lime diet until memorial day weekend..I am decreasing my carb/calorie intake big time over the next 2 weeks,and will kick start my metabolic rate by doing cardio every day(at least I will try every day)for the foreseeable future.

Stay tuned for updates.:box:

Hey, I'm thinking of getting to the gym by 5:30am when it opens. I hate the evening crowds and just cannot seem to find the time after work to get to the gym ... between commuting, work I take home and college, I just keep ditching workouts.

Any advice, from anyone, on how to prep for early morning workout is appreciated! Is it best to tackle on an empty stomach, maybe coffee, something? See, I'm already thinking about what to eat. Ugh. :confused:

Hey, I'm thinking of getting to the gym by 5:30am when it opens. I hate the evening crowds and just cannot seem to find the time after work to get to the gym ... between commuting, work I take home and college, I just keep ditching workouts.

Any advice, from anyone, on how to prep for early morning workout is appreciated! Is it best to tackle on an empty stomach, maybe coffee, something? See, I'm already thinking about what to eat. Ugh. :confused:

Bill Phillips http://bodyforlife.com/ is HUGE on working out on an empty stomach. He talks about it a lot in his book. It is actually on of his keys for success. Saying it jumpstarts your metabolism.

I wok out in the morning all the time. I have nothing to eat or drink except for a small glass of water. The best part about working out in the morning is that it's over early and you can then watch everyone else go to work out at lunchtime or after work.

I wok out in the morning all the time. I have nothing to eat or drink except for a small glass of water. The best part about working out in the morning is that it's over early and you can then watch everyone else go to work out at lunchtime or after work.

I bet you Smizzy can bench more than you can. :Nuts:

I hate getting up any earlier than I have to on a weekday..but..I agree..I absolutely hate the after work crowd at the gym..it's way too crowded.

I have to be at work at 7AM..my gym opens at 5:30AM..so I don't have much time..I only do 40 minutes of cardio when I go that early in the morning.

Don't eat anything before you go to the gym that early..just water..when you get done you can have coffee/breakfast..I like egg whites for protein..but since I don't have time to fry up several egg whites..I hard boil them and just pop out the yoke..much quicker.

I bet you Smizzy can bench more than you can. :Nuts:

Since you have "grappled" with Smizzy on a number of different occasions, I will defer to your first hand knowledge and say that you are probably right. I don't work out for power, I focus more on bedroom endurance.

water or juice & a banana work well for morning workouts mrs tabor.

thanks for clearing this up max. I had a bet with a fellow poster whom I won't name that his 50 minute stint with a hooker in vegas was not considered a good workout.

totally unrelated, does anyone have a mailing address for green dna? I owe him 20 bucks

Was so proud of myself today, got to the gym by 5:30am and did a little over 30 minutes on the elliptical. I know I need to do more, but for now I'll work on building my endurance. I found it a lot easier getting up early then waiting 'till the end of the day to get in a workout and dreading it. Had my pick of machines, wasn't crowded at all and everyone looked they just rolled out of bed too. So all in all... not a bad way to get in your workout! Now, I just need to repeat this 50 more times to be successful.

:box:

Was so proud of myself today, got to the gym by 5:30am and did a little over 30 minutes on the elliptical. I know I need to do more, but for now I'll work on building my endurance. I found it a lot easier getting up early then waiting 'till the end of the day to get in a workout and dreading it. Had my pick of machines, wasn't crowded at all and everyone looked they just rolled out of bed too. So all in all... not a bad way to get in your workout! Now, I just need to repeat this 50 more times to be successful.

Good Job Mrs.Tabor! =D>:P

you ROCK, mrsT!!! that is so awesome!!! enjoy the endorphins! :D

Good Job Mrs.Tabor! =D>:P

you ROCK, mrsT!!! that is so awesome!!! enjoy the endorphins! :D

Hey Thanks! (Just figured out multi-quote, another great accomplishment this week).

Was there again this morning and am a bundle of energy. Usually I'd still be sleeping and hitting the snooze on the alarm for the 10th time. Must be the endorphins!!

Now, Fat Burning vs. Cardio... what's the difference? Should I focus on one over the other? On the elliptical I go at a decent pace and get my heart rate up to what I think is relatively high - about 140-150. For my age the chart on the mahcine tells me that is OK for Cardio, but on the high end. I've always had a high resting heart rate so wonder if that has anything to do with it. I do the 'quick start' which is lowest level so I don't think I could back it down any further. I suppose anything other then falling off the machine is good. :)

Serious question for people that run. On days that it is freezing -- say 20 degrees or so, it seems much harder to run. I run late at night a lot and last week it was really cold and windy one night. That was rough. Yet yesterday it was 35 or so and it was much easier.

Is this a mental thing? Or is there a physical reason behind this?

Archived