JetNation's Biggest Loser thread..Now open to the public!

TaborJet

Serious question for people that run. On days that it is freezing -- say 20 degrees or so, it seems much harder to run. I run late at night a lot and last week it was really cold and windy one night. That was rough. Yet yesterday it was 35 or so and it was much easier.

Is this a mental thing? Or is there a physical reason behind this?

It's a physical thing. I cannot comment on your mental status, nor do I want to delve into the twisted mind of someone who runs this site. However, colder air does have adverse effects on some runners. Some have asthma induced by cold air running, some may have just general difficulties breathing. One way to avoid this is to breath in through your nose as it will warm the air more than breathing regularly through your mouth. Also, warmer air that is not overly humid is easier on the lungs having to do with air densities etc.

All in all if it's too cold, run on a treadmill inside.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Serious question for people that run. On days that it is freezing -- say 20 degrees or so, it seems much harder to run. I run late at night a lot and last week it was really cold and windy one night. That was rough. Yet yesterday it was 35 or so and it was much easier.

Is this a mental thing? Or is there a physical reason behind this?

Its physical: YOU ARE OUT OF SHAPE!!!!

It's a physical thing. I cannot comment on your mental status, nor do I want to delve into the twisted mind of someone who runs this site. However, colder air does have adverse effects on some runners. Some have asthma induced by cold air running, some may have just general difficulties breathing. One way to avoid this is to breath in through your nose as it will warm the air more than breathing regularly through your mouth. Also, warmer air that is not overly humid is easier on the lungs having to do with air densities etc.

All in all if it's too cold, run on a treadmill inside.

I have a treadmill but didn't want to use any excuses and not run outside this early in the program.

Going to read up on this a little more though Carl, thanks for the insight.

I have a treadmill but didn't want to use any excuses and not run outside this early in the program.

Going to read up on this a little more though Carl, thanks for the insight.

Nothing wrong with running on a treadmill. In the long run (no pun intended), you will save your joints... and... run longer! :grin:

Pavement is a bitch!

Nothing wrong with running on a treadmill. In the long run (no pun intended), you will save your joints... and... run longer! :grin:

Pavement is a bitch!

I never run outside anymore, the treadmill is fine. The best part is that if you run out of gas, you stop and get off. If you run out of gas outside, you could be a mile or two from your house and you have to walk back.

I never run outside anymore, the treadmill is fine. The best part is that if you run out of gas, you stop and get off. If you run out of gas outside, you could be a mile or two from your house and you have to walk back.

Right on. And the sooner Max realizes this, he can stop wasting our time posting about running in the cold.

Yeah you are perfect we get it.

But part of this test is to push myself. So your plan wouldn't work. Thanks for the insight again though.

Pavement is a bitch!

But running on a treadmill is easier though (imo). So if I am training to run outside, I think the best way to accomplish that goal is to run outside. (Being serious). Running on a treadmill right now feels like I am cheating.

I should have made my bet read like this: I will run 10 miles (on a treadmill). In a climate controlled room set at 70 degrees.

Is it too late to change my statement, lol.

But running on a treadmill is easier though (imo). So if I am training to run outside, I think the best way to accomplish that goal is to run outside. (Being serious). Running on a treadmill right now feels like I am cheating.

I should have made my bet read like this: I will run 10 miles (on a treadmill). In a climate controlled room set at 70 degrees.

Is it too late to change my statement, lol.

Make it more difficult then!

Don't you have inclines/intervals on your treadmill? That would help. You can up the speed, at least.

I know some treadmills are better than others.. The one at my gym is state of the art.. so, to a certain extent, I agree with you that it feels different.

But ultimately.. running 9 mph is running 9 mph.

Make it more difficult then!

Don't you have inclines/intervals on your treadmill? That would help. You can up the speed, at least.

I know some treadmills are better than others.. The one at my gym is state of the art.. so, to a certain extent, I agree with you that it feels different.

But ultimately.. running 9 mph is running 9 mph.

That makes sense. I have an old treadmill. It has incline though, so yes I can make it more challenging.

Yeah you are perfect we get it.

But part of this test is to push myself. So your plan wouldn't work. Thanks for the insight again though.

And my post implies that I am perfect how exactly? :confused:

Why do you think you can push yourself outside any more so than on a treadmill?? You can go until you are exhausted and then step off and you are done. If you are determined to work out that shouldn't be a problem. The only problem with a treadmill may be boredom, so put on the ipod and start running. The good thing about a treadmill is that you can see the distance on the display as you run and you can continually try to push it a little bit further. It is a good motivational tool and confidence builder. Now get moving.

And my post implies that I am perfect how exactly? :confused:

Why do you think you can push yourself outside any more so than on a treadmill?? You can go until you are exhausted and then step off and you are done. If you are determined to work out that shouldn't be a problem. The only problem with a treadmill may be boredom, so put on the ipod and start running. The good thing about a treadmill is that you can see the distance on the display as you run and you can continually try to push it a little bit further. It is a good motivational tool and confidence builder. Now get moving.

Did you see Rocky IV? Or III? Let's start with IV. Drago trained inside. On machines and an indoor track. Rocky trained outside. It is better. he wouldn't have won if it wasn't.

Geez.

Great workout today on the elliptical. No slugishness, I had energy the entire time and could have kept going. I didn't want to push it, though. I want some energy for tomorrow! Total of 50 minutes, 525 calories burned!

thats why I always run around happy hour & bring plenty of cab fare with me... really

honey if you joined & are reading this I luv you & see ya for supper.

No workout for the Tabors this weekend. We just made 2lbs. of meatballs that we're taking to a party... a wine tasting party... poor Tabor, he's gonna be sorry he accepted the invite.

But we just slammed at least 4 meatballs each, of course we had to taste test 'em. So, no workouts happening here. Don't see it happening tomorrow either; sure I'll be dealing with quite the hangover. But Monday morning 5AM at the gym! woo hoo

:wine:

Week One: 7.6lbs

Week Two: 2.2lbs

Week Three: 1.6lbs

Week Four: 1.4lbs

Week Five 1.4lbs

Week Six 1.0lbs

Just broke 15. Taking longer than I hoped. But it is going in the right direction.

Week Five 1.4lbs

Week Six 1.0lbs

Just broke 15. Taking longer than I hoped. But it is going in the right direction.

Keep up the good work Max. Feels great doesn't it? I've put on a few pounds over the past couple of weeks but I expected to. Can't run (should be getting my MRI results this week), the gym is still closed, and I've been taking a lot of road trips to different cities. I expected to put some weight back on and I'm fine as long as I don't add more than five of the 30 I'd lost. So far so good. Can't wait for the gym to re-open.

Keep up the good work folks.

Keep up the good work Max. Feels great doesn't it? I've put on a few pounds over the past couple of weeks but I expected to. Can't run (should be getting my MRI results this week), the gym is still closed, and I've been taking a lot of road trips to different cities. I expected to put some weight back on and I'm fine as long as I don't add more than five of the 30 I'd lost. So far so good. Can't wait for the gym to re-open.

Keep up the good work folks.

If you can add 10 more pounds, you will qualify to be a JN moderator. I'm rooting for ya!!

Week Five 1.4lbs

Week Six 1.0lbs

Max..stop going by the scale..the scale lies..go by how your clothes fit..;)

Notre_Dame_Pro_Day.sff_INJR102_20070304172149.jpg

You all look skinny compared to this guy.

Geez...did Weiss get humongous again..holy ****

Haven't seen any updates lately in this thread! How is everyone doing with their weight loss efforts? I got off to a good start last week at the gym and this week only two days. Don't think I lost too much (if anything at all), but feel a lot better and staying encouraged! The 5am workout really works and I'll keep that going. I think I need to change my eating and drinking habits. Damn!

So, let's hear what's going on with you all!!

:yahoo:

Haven't seen any updates lately in this thread! How is everyone doing with their weight loss efforts? I got off to a good start last week at the gym and this week only two days. Don't think I lost too much (if anything at all), but feel a lot better and staying encouraged! The 5am workout really works and I'll keep that going. I think I need to change my eating and drinking habits. Damn!

So, let's hear what's going on with you all!!

:yahoo:

I expect to win. This will be my update:

Week 1 - Went to India, lost 75 pounds

Week 2 - Still feeling effects of visit to India, lost additional 25lbs

Today was my second day back in the gym since it re-opened and I must say I was psyched after I weighed myself. I really thought I'd packed on about ten pounds with no cardio and lots of road trips that included tons of Italian food but to my surprise I'd only put on 3 pounds. Did a 2 mile run today and going back to the gym tonight for weights. Back on track baby. Down 25 pounds so far.:box:

Had a bad week eating last week. Didn't work out much either. Took a mulligan and didn't weigh myself on Saturday.

Went running today for the first time this week. Have to get back in the swing of things! Lots of people at the park today. The bad news is I have NO IDEA how to pace myself. I see people in front of me and sprint until I pass them.

I have to get a runners watch I think. I hope the bad week is behind me!

Had a bad week eating last week. Didn't work out much either. Took a mulligan and didn't weigh myself on Saturday.

Went running today for the first time this week. Have to get back in the swing of things! Lots of people at the park today. The bad news is I have NO IDEA how to pace myself. I see people in front of me and sprint until I pass them.

Yeah but I'm betting you have a better pair of running sneaks than I do. I bought a new pair of Nikes and literally rubbed my achiles heel raw. Ouch ouch ouch.

Keep at it, Max! :grin:

Today was my second day back in the gym since it re-opened and I must say I was psyched after I weighed myself. I really thought I'd packed on about ten pounds with no cardio and lots of road trips that included tons of Italian food but to my surprise I'd only put on 3 pounds. Did a 2 mile run today and going back to the gym tonight for weights. Back on track baby. Down 25 pounds so far.:box:

25 is a lot. Keep up the good work!

Back to two a days already. Pretty impressive man!

Yeah but I'm betting you have a better pair of running sneaks than I do. I bought a new pair of Nikes and literally rubbed my achiles heel raw. Ouch ouch ouch.

Keep at it, Max! :grin:

Still haven't bought new running sneakers! I am using my cross trainers. I do need to invest from what everyone tells me.

Sorry about your bum achiles. We will just call you Vinny from now on!

Don't let 1 bad week throw you fatboy! just like life...you gotta roll with the punches. Isn't that what you always preach to me?

Tuck that chin and keep it moving.

Don't let 1 bad week throw you fatboy! just like life...you gotta roll with the punches. Isn't that what you always preach to me?

Tuck that chin and keep it moving.

Well it is true. Just trying to find my trigger points so to speak right now. The distractions that in the past would cause me to go off course and fail. You know, like being up at 3:40am when I have to be in the office in a few hours. Minor stuff like that, lol.

Trying though. Really don't want to fail. Going to lift tonight and go running tomorrow.

25 is a lot. Keep up the good work!

Back to two a days already. Pretty impressive man!

Did my two workouts yesterday but today and Friday will be one trip only to the gym with no cardio. Taking a 28 mile cross country hike in Southern England on Sat and Sun so I don't want to risk rolling an ankle or anything running the next couple of days. This will be my first hike and it was the shortest one I could find. Not sure how much weight I'll lose but looking forward to the experience.

Weighed in this morning and dropped a couple more pounds. Down 28 so far.

We all have the bad days/weeks Max. The big thing is not to let it become weeks or months because then you're back to square one when you start up again.

Keep it up man.

Archived