JetNation's Biggest Loser thread..Now open to the public!

TaborJet

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey I don't know why I wasn't involved in this thread.....

I lost 47 pounds a few years ago (2 or 3)....

Where you able to keep the weight off? Or at least most of it? Goob job on losing that much though, that is really good.

homo!

Kidding! drink lite beer, why deprive yourself

I saw you post in this thread and just had to see who you were picking on now. No fat jokes. That is progress. I am proud of you.

To anyone that runs -- HOW THE HELL DO YOU LEARN HOW TO PACE YOURSELF? I asked CoachT about this via PM and he gave me some good suggestions. But I am having a hard time.

What is a good 5k time for an out of shape 37 year old running is his first ever 5k? What do you guys think?

I saw you post in this thread and just had to see who you were picking on now. No fat jokes. That is progress. I am proud of you.

To anyone that runs -- HOW THE HELL DO YOU LEARN HOW TO PACE YOURSELF? I asked CoachT about this via PM and he gave me some good suggestions. But I am having a hard time.

What is a good 5k time for an out of shape 37 year old running is his first ever 5k? What do you guys think?

I just ran 1.5 miles the other day... felt good... pretty good pace but it sure as hell wasnt what it used to be... I have been trying to play basketball and tennis in my free time as well...

Max you want your pace to feel smooth (at least as smooth as it can be) you shouldnt feel like your dying or gasping for air right away... sure when you get to mile 3 your pace might be sloppy but start out smooth...

Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, it helps keep a good breathing pace... I try to breathe in about 75% through my nose and 25% through my mouth...

Try to finish it in 35 minutes... thats about a 12 minute mile... which would most likely be a combo of a 9 minute mile 11 minute mile and a 16 minute mile... lol

My best 5k time was 21 minutes and change... now I think I would be in the high 20's... if Im lucky and the race is downhill...lol

Are you going to run in an actual 5k?

I just ran 1.5 miles the other day... felt good... pretty good pace but it sure as hell wasnt what it used to be... I have been trying to play basketball and tennis in my free time as well...

Max you want your pace to feel smooth (at least as smooth as it can be) you shouldnt feel like your dying or gasping for air right away... sure when you get to mile 3 your pace might be sloppy but start out smooth...

Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, it helps keep a good breathing pace... I try to breathe in about 75% through my nose and 25% through my mouth...

Try to finish it in 35 minutes... thats about a 12 minute mile... which would most likely be a combo of a 9 minute mile 11 minute mile and a 16 minute mile... lol

My best 5k time was 21 minutes and change... now I think I would be in the high 20's... if Im lucky and the race is downhill...lol

Are you going to run in an actual 5k?

Thanks. Doing one in 2 weeks with my kids. My 8 year old daughter is running a mile and my son (12) is doing the 5k. I can't keep up with him at this point and he is having fun with that.

The scariest part is I asked for advice months ago -- TMac said get good sneakers and I never did. Bad move on my part.

35 minutes I know I can do. I just didn't know what time is considered an embarassment (yes starting and finishing is the reward, I Know). Still I don't want to be laughed at. :fighting0050:

21 minutes is good. If I run just 1 mile I can break 8 minutes but that is my best case scenario and can not be replicated much beyond that. HAHA. I still have the distance I started at and it wasn't far. So it is good I guess, regardless of the outcome.

Thanks.

I usually dont buy new running shoes until the old ones are in pieces... lol... its not the end of the world for you feet unless you run ALL the time...

30-35 minutes shouldnt get laughed at... there were plenty of people finishing 40 minutes+ at the last one I went to... the bulk of people finish in 25-35 minutes...

I ran one once with a sore ankle... (bad move) I already paid to race and didnt not want to do it... I pulled off 26 minutes (but this was when I also was running around 21 minutes) hurt like hell...

Sadly I was beaten by a 73 year old man who finished right ahead of me... I didnt know if I should kill myself or be happy for the old guy... :lol:

Sadly I was beaten by a 73 year old man who finished right ahead of me... I didnt know if I should kill myself or be happy for the old guy... :lol:

I guess that would depend on what he had for breakfast that morning!

The beach was too windy today-we put 4 quarters in the meter and walked about 35 feet and I told the wife forget it-let's go eat some breakfast at Johnny G's on the Lake Worth Beach then we went back to this house we're staying at and did 2 miles on the golf course behind the house-I've missed only 2 days since April 18th-I'm starting to see results

homo!

Kidding! drink lite beer, why deprive yourself

I will return to beer on Memorial day weekend..beer is beer,and I hate light beer..Blech!

Take shorter strides when you're running and go at an even pace so you can still breathe..

Where you able to keep the weight off? Or at least most of it? Goob job on losing that much though, that is really good.

I was only 20, so it was easy, I weighed that much in College, despite being on the football team, and that was a reason I had no shot at the NFL, (that, and I was D-III, who would want a 260 pound D-III QB?) so I decided (because of my speed) to lose weight and play Semi-Pro RB, I lost 47 pounds by weight training and going on the treadmill three times a week. I jogged a mile every three days during the summer. Now i'm 6'3" 228, with a 4.7% body fat, it's not as hard as people make it, just stop being so damned lazy and get out of the house, go to a local gym (LA FITNESS).

I recommend that you join some form of recreational sports, whether it be a local softball program, semi pro football, a local basketball tournament, hockey, tennis, etc. It is a good way to stay in shape and it is a good thing to do on your free time.

I recommend that you join some form of recreational sports, whether it be a local softball program, semi pro football, a local basketball tournament, hockey, tennis, etc. It is a good way to stay in shape and it is a good thing to do on your free time.

Free time, lol.

3 miles today and yesterday walking-the wanker on a golf cart told us we had to get off the course because of liability insurance-I think he was just being a dick,so we walked on the sidewalk right next to the GC-also we've been swimming in this pool we have set at 90 degrees-maybe I'll take SJ35's advice and do some sit-ups now

Played basketball and ran today... did the usually pushup/situp routine as well...

I got a wild pass right to my face today though... got a mild concussion... not much fun to feel sick... Im sure Ill feel better tommorow though...

Some good b-ball today though... I love playing 3 on 3

this week has been bad in the exercise dept... ugh. i need to get back on the train..

sometimes it is just so hard.

I know GG! I keep falling off the train. But I went to the gym Monday and Tuesday, took today off because my arms are so sore. I'm using the weight machines now in conjunction with the elliptical and really watching what I eat. No more H&H for my coffee which can add hundreds of extra calories. Keeping the carbs and sugars down and trying hard to not open a bottle of wine.

:wine:

I got up at 5AM and ran for 40 minutes on the treadmill with a sweatshirt,turtle neck and sweat pants on..I was sweating profusely..after I showered and got in the car to go to work,I was still sweating..I feel great.

so i am back inn the saddle, so to speak...

yesterday 2.7 miles

today a 3.5 mile hike in th heat...

BUT i need to get new sneaks... i am in blister he!l ... oY.

Go for New Balance... good prices, rated well... I have them now and what a difference over the Nikes.... it's all personal preference of course but NB seem pretty good...

Go for New Balance... good prices, rated well... I have them now and what a difference over the Nikes.... it's all personal preference of course but NB seem pretty good...

i LOVE NB! they are great for wide feet...which i have... i just need to go out there and get them!

the sneaks i have are 10 years old :shock: yes i know you are suppose to change them every 6 months.. :lol:

I'm getting back after it myself. I've had so many visitors to the UK thus far that I keep getting caught up playing tour guide which takes away from gym time. I've been doing cardio regularly enough to not put any weight on (okay maybe five pounds in the last month) but I'm getting back in to weight loss mode as opposed to maintaining. Two gym sessions yesterday. One so far today (40 minute elliptical while sporting my fancy JetNation.com sweatshirt over a couple of long sleeve T-shirts). Back at it folks...everybody keep up the good work.

Three trips to the gym yesterday and the day before...two trips on Monday and started today with another elliptical session planning on going again at lunch and after work.....not going to weigh myself for a few more weeks though.

i LOVE NB! they are great for wide feet...which i have... i just need to go out there and get them!

the sneaks i have are 10 years old :shock: yes i know you are suppose to change them every 6 months.. :lol:

NB are good. That's what I wear for power walking. Rule of thumb is: Every three months or 300 miles. Hiking rules, but I don't wear sneaks for that. Need better grip.

Speaking of which, I have to replace my hiking boots. Again. I have heel spurs that eat through the thick padding in the back, right through to the skeleton of the boot. I think I'll go do that now.

Well, my eat less experiment is working so far. I started out at about 223 and this morning I weighed myself and I was down to 211. If I threw in some normal excercise I might just be dangerous. :lol:

Did the run with the kids this morning. I ended up doing the 1 mile run with my 8 year old daughter and we finished in just over 9 minutes. Did a 5k in the park a few weeks ago in about 34. Yes, I am slow but it is a start!

Did the run with the kids this morning. I ended up doing the 1 mile run with my 8 year old daughter and we finished in just over 9 minutes. Did a 5k in the park a few weeks ago in about 34. Yes, I am slow but it is a start!

That's awesome Max...keep up the good work!

Archived