The choice is Melky or Bernie....

Bugg

and at this point it's not even a a decision, it's Melky. You cannot on one hand b1tch and moan how the Yanks deal away all their young players and then also piss and moan about Berniue Williams, who cannot play the outfield, has no power left, doesn't do much as a pinch hitter(which the Yankees' lineup and the DH makes irrelevant) and hit all of .281 last year.

Give him his day in the sun at the Stadium, give him a cheer for a career well done, give him a permanent Old Timer's/Tampa invite and give Melky the 4th OF job.

Thats not really the choise. The choise is between carrying 2 AWFUL 1B or 1 AWFUL 1B and Bernie.

That 1B should be Josh Phelps by the way. Not the horrendous Doug Mintadgrgfpioarjgarouvgiseravovcxz or Andy Phillips and he should split 1B time with Giambi.

That horrendous Doug Mienkiewiecz is great to have on the field in close game.

He's an all world glove, but you're right. With that pitching staff, they're going to have to outslug everyone.

That horrendous Doug Mienkiewiecz is great to have on the field in close game.

He's an all world glove, but you're right. With that pitching staff, they're going to have to outslug everyone.

The yankee pitching is fine. In fact they probably have the best starting depth in baseball and a much improved bullpen. Mintaegfarewjgaorewjfvfcxzz, however can't save enough runs with his defense to make up for his WAY WAY WAY below avg offense and shouldn't be starting for any team let alone the yankees. Phelps on the other hand has a 800+OPS in both the minors and majors and might be able to be a serviceable player.

We don't need mentkeiwicszx (sp? lol) to hit, he can just go in for those ninth innings up one or so knowing that he's a WAY better fielder than Giambi or Phelps. Then, if you carry both of them, (mentkeiwicszx and phelps) if the Yanks give up a run thy can put back in Phelps for offense. That way they're making a huge upgrade at fielding while only a slight downgrade at batting, which shouldn't even need to be there.

Basically, in simple writing:

Mentkeiwicsz and Phelps>Mentkeiwicsz and Bernie> Phelps and Bernie.

Then you also keep Melkie in the outfield. Problem solved, let Bernie walk.

We don't need mentkeiwicszx (sp? lol) to hit, he can just go in for those ninth innings up one or so knowing that he's a WAY better fielder than Giambi or Phelps. Then, if you carry both of them, (mentkeiwicszx and phelps) if the Yanks give up a run thy can put back in Phelps for offense. That way they're making a huge upgrade at fielding while only a slight downgrade at batting, which shouldn't even need to be there.

Basically, in simple writing:

Mentkeiwicsz and Phelps>Mentkeiwicsz and Bernie> Phelps and Bernie.

Then you also keep Melkie in the outfield. Problem solved, let Bernie walk.

Phelps and Bernie would be the best pair and phelps should get the majority of the 1B AB's with Bernie on the bench to hit vs lefties.

The yankee pitching is fine. In fact they probably have the best starting depth in baseball and a much improved bullpen. Mintaegfarewjgaorewjfvfcxzz, however can't save enough runs with his defense to make up for his WAY WAY WAY below avg offense and shouldn't be starting for any team let alone the yankees. Phelps on the other hand has a 800+OPS in both the minors and majors and might be able to be a serviceable player.

1. You are absolutely insane.

2. I never said Mienky should be starting.

3. You are absolutely the biggest homer ever. BZ has lost his crown.

1. You are absolutely insane.

2. I never said Mienky should be starting.

3. You are absolutely the biggest homer ever. BZ has lost his crown.

Why? Because i said the Yankees have great depth? Do you realize how STOCKED the yankee system is with pitching? BP Rated the Yankees the number 1 system in the majors in pitching prospects. They have about 4 LEGIT prospects at AAA right now who will be able to step in if they have any problems in the rotation headed by 2 of the best prospects in baseball in Sanchez and Hughes. Or do you not know who those guys are...

They have about 4 LEGIT prospects at AAA right now who will be able to step in if they have any problems in the rotation headed by 2 of the best prospects in baseball in Sanchez and Hughes. Or do you not know who those guys are...

Hughes is a great prospect, but he has never pitched in AAA. Do you know who he is? So far he is dominating AA players. I wouldn't be so fast to give him the Cy Young just yet.

Humberto Sanchez is another good prospect. Dominated at AA, but was just soso at AAA.

So who are the other two can't miss prospects ready to step in?

You don't even know your own players, why in the world should anyone listen to you?

Why? Because i said the Yankees have great depth? Do you realize how STOCKED the yankee system is with pitching? BP Rated the Yankees the number 1 system in the majors in pitching prospects. They have about 4 LEGIT prospects at AAA right now who will be able to step in if they have any problems in the rotation headed by 2 of the best prospects in baseball in Sanchez and Hughes. Or do you not know who those guys are...

Thor99 is right. You are by far the biggest homer here.

Until those guys pitch and have sustained success on the major league level, they are not depth.

Thats not really the choise. The choise is between carrying 2 AWFUL 1B or 1 AWFUL 1B and Bernie.

That 1B should be Josh Phelps by the way. Not the horrendous Doug Mintadgrgfpioarjgarouvgiseravovcxz or Andy Phillips and he should split 1B time with Giambi.

Agree. Bernies numbers last year were fine offensively for a part time player.

WTF have Doug Mienkiewiecz or Andy Phillips ever done to BOTH deserve a roster spot over Bernie. We've been hearing the same crap about Phillips for 3 years now.....he sucks.

There is a time for Bernie to be put out to pasture but it's not today if Mienky and Phillips are the reason. Sure one of them needs to make the team because the Yanks have a 20mill dollar DH who can't field, but not both.

It's not even close, it's Melky. Melky is younger and put up better numbers last season and has a very good arm, especially when compared to Bernie's, but wait, doesn't everybody? There is no room for Bernie on this team unless their is an injury (knock on wood) to one of the four outfielders, he is not good enough to where he should be the #1 option if Doug or Andy go down at 1B either.

It's not even close, it's Melky. Melky is younger and put up better numbers last season and has a very good arm, especially when compared to Bernie's, but wait, doesn't everybody? There is no room for Bernie on this team unless their is an injury (knock on wood) to one of the four outfielders, he is not good enough to where he should be the #1 option if Doug or Andy go down at 1B either.

Agreed. Cashman's own words are that 1B has nothing to do with Bernie. What he won't say because he's polite is Williams can no longer play the field even adequately and they don't need a PH. In the NL, things might be different. Problem remains they already have 1 guy-Giambi-whho doesn't really field a position. 2 such players, and one without power liek Williams, makes no sense in the AL.

And once again Joe "Ego Manager, Sheet Strategist" Torre has to butt his ugly nose to say, now, on the eve of spring training,well after they've discussed this and decided it, he tells the press he wants Bernie back, so everyone can love Mr. Torre. Torre should stick to trying to get A-Rod untracked some way other than batting him 8th in a playoff game or get lost altogether. This pisses me off-Torre struts around like everyone should love him, never wanting to tick off anyone,-except the one guy whop might be the difference between a championship and sucking. That is when he's not running his bullpen into the ground. That's all fine and good, but Melky right now is a much better player than Williams, and in the OF, it's not even a comparison. Torre must like watching routine flies turn into doubles with #51 out there.

Hughes is a great prospect, but he has never pitched in AAA. Do you know who he is? So far he is dominating AA players. I wouldn't be so fast to give him the Cy Young just yet.

Humberto Sanchez is another good prospect. Dominated at AA, but was just soso at AAA.

So who are the other two can't miss prospects ready to step in?

You don't even know your own players, why in the world should anyone listen to you?

Both Hughes and Sanchez are ready to pitch in the Majors along with Clippard and Ohlendorf (Not to mention Karstens and Rasner who were both effective in the majors last year.) If you knew what you were talking about you'd know that the better pitching prospects in baseball hardly ever spend any meaningful time in AAA and that if a player has dominated AA they are ready for the majors. You saying that Hughes needs to pitch in AAA shows that you know nothing about the way minor league players are developed. The only reason they are even starting him in AAA is because they want to limit his innings. He'll be up in the majors by june the latest. Once again those 6 pitchers give the yankees BY FAR the best starting depth in baseball. There is no team around that has 6 guys like that ready to step in for injury/performance problems.

They are also STOCKED at the lower levels which is what comes with being the best farm system in baseball in terms of pitching.

Bernie cant play the field and he is a terrible pinch hitter

He can still mash against lefties but he's a horrible fit to be a 4th OFer and the pinch hitter.

Only one 1B should make the team (Phelps) and Bernie should be a pinch hitter. Then Phelps and giambi can platoon and bernie can take some AB's from phelps at DH when giambi plays first.

Both Hughes and Sanchez are ready to pitch in the Majors along with Clippard and Ohlendorf (Not to mention Karstens and Rasner who were both effective in the majors last year.) If you knew what you were talking about you'd know that the better pitching prospects in baseball hardly ever spend any meaningful time in AAA and that if a player has dominated AA they are ready for the majors. You saying that Hughes needs to pitch in AAA shows that you know nothing about the way minor league players are developed. The only reason they are even starting him in AAA is because they want to limit his innings. He'll be up in the majors by june the latest. Once again those 6 pitchers give the yankees BY FAR the best starting depth in baseball. There is no team around that has 6 guys like that ready to step in for injury/performance problems.

They are also STOCKED at the lower levels which is what comes with being the best farm system in baseball in terms of pitching.

You really crack me up. Those guys have never thrown a pitch at the major league level.

As a Sox fan, I would love to see those 4 in the rotation come June.

You really crack me up. Those guys have never thrown a pitch at the major league level.

As a Sox fan, I would love to see those 4 in the rotation come June.

There is no team in baseball that could handle losing 4 starters however the yankees are in a better position to replace starters then any team in the majors.

There is no team in baseball that could handle losing 4 starters however the yankees are in a better position to replace starters then any team in the majors.

You're right about one thing. 4 of your starters are easily replaceable.

They are certainly nothing special.

You're right about one thing. 4 of your starters are easily replaceable.

They are certainly nothing special.

They are better then Boston's. And a lot of other teams. Everyone has question marks. You make it sound like the yankees are the Rangers or the late 90's Indians which of course is absurd.

Of course Melky should stay over Bernie. Still, #1 Homer or not, MadMike is right. There is no reason to carry all these damn first basemen. Didn't they resign Cairo who can play there as well? It's too damn many first basemen and whether you want to keep Bernie or not, an extra OF is way more necessary than 3 1bs + Cairo. Sure keeping Bernie is just being sentimental, but it's also being classy and I do not want to see Joe Torre switching 1st basemen twice a game just to show he's doing something.

I haven't listened to these 2 in some time. But today,a s below, I had no choice.

It's gettin' to be be re-God-damned-diculous.

I don't know what's more embarrassing, these 2 newpaper-reading goofballs or their callers going to the bathroom on themselves about A-rod and Jeter. Either he plays really well over the next 9 months and the Yankees win a championshsip, or he'll be moving on. To so obsess over the relationship between 2 grown men is gay.

And the idea that "Bernie can still play" is goddamned dumb. No, he can't. Look, Yankee fans, they haven't won a damn thing since 2000, and a big reason is an outfield that's about as mobile and athletic as Venus De Milo.

Was listenng to XM here at work when their rock channels decided that have their "5th song down the album from a band you hate" weekend. Apparently Rick Springfield and members of .38 Special, the Cars(I know, one of'ems already dead) and Quiet Riot have either died recently :rolleyes: or are gravely ill, subjecting me to this collection of jerkoffs instead. There's a good chance I will be flinging the radio accross the avenue within the hour.

He should have retired already, its just embarassing for him now.

And I thought you said Ohlandorf was garbage, Mike?

I said he was worse then Owings which is true. He's not on the level of the other guys but he could see some time in the majors depending on what happens... And i'm still against that trade.

Archived