NE makes another HUGE FA splash

Jetlag

Brady to accept Patriots' offer

Asked to take a pay cut, the veteran tight end will get a raise instead.

By GENE FRENETTE, The Times-Union

After being asked to take a salary cut by the Jaguars, it didn't take long for tight end Kyle Brady to find the payday or the Super Bowl contender that he was looking for on the free-agent market.

Brady came to terms on Friday night with the New England Patriots on a two-year contract worth $5.3 million, including a $2 million signing bonus that was worth more than the 2007 salary that his old team had offered.

sponsored links

buy a link here

On the first day of the NFL free agency period, Brady flew to New England, passed his physical and reached an agreement on a contract after terms were discussed earlier in the day with his agent, Michael Clouser.

The deal brings to a close Brady's eight-year run in Jacksonville, the third-longest among current Jaguars behind only Fred Taylor and Donovin Darius.

"My whole thing was to go out and find a team that wanted me and would show that by the contract they were offering," Brady told The Times-Union in a phone interview from a Boston restaurant. "Plus, a team that's within reach of a Super Bowl, and this one always seems to be among the AFC elite.

"I wasn't looking to ascend the salary ladder, but you never know what the market is going to bear."

Under his new contract, Brady will earn a $1.2 base salary and $100,000 roster bonus in 2007 on top of his signing bonus. In 2008, which could be Brady's final NFL season, his base salary goes up to $2 million.

Brady, 35, was miffed that the Jaguars, whose blocking skills were lauded by coach Jack Del Rio, only offered him a $1.5 million contract with no signing bonus for the upcoming season. Last year, he made a base salary of $2.1 million and earned another $400,000 in incentives.

"That was frustrating, and so was all the [contract] restructuring each year and the feeling I had to keep lowering my [salary] numbers," Brady said. "This is satisfying to go to a team that really values me."

Brady, who made 110 starts for the Jaguars, saw his role as a receiver diminish severely in four seasons under Del Rio. He caught only 66 passes for 578 yards and three touchdowns, compared to 175 receptions for 2,022 yards and 10 TDs from 1999-2002 under coach Tom Coughlin.

"My role in the offense changed completely the last four years, and I didn't feel it had to be that way," Brady said. "The Jaguars had me pigeonholed where all I was was a blocking tight end. It was frustrating because I had worked so hard to prove I could be effective catching the ball.

"I would have loved to end my career in Jacksonville, but I don't think I was given a serious thought as a complete tight end. When they asked me to take a pay cut, that made my decision [to go into free agency] pretty simple."

Brady, a first-round draft pick of the New York Jets in 1995, is reunited with coach Bill Belichick, who served as the Jets defensive coordinator during Brady's final two seasons in New York.

The Patriots, who play a lot of two tight-end sets, were eager to lock up Brady after Daniel Graham elected to become a free agent. New England's primary tight end, Ben Watson, is a prolific pass-catcher and Brady remains uncertain how much his role will change with the Patriots.

He's happy to make what appears to be his final NFL stop with a franchise that has won three of the last six Super Bowls, and narrowly lost 38-34 to the Indianapolis Colts in the recent AFC championship game.

"You can't get a better combination of stability in terms of the quarterback [Tom Brady] and the head coach [belichick]," Brady said.

gene.frenette@jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4540

Word is they're holding out to give Ron Dayne a 6 year, $60 million deal, stay tuned.

Heh, well there is one guarantee, while they might sign Ron Dayne they won't offer him more than 3 cheeseburgers with a signing bonus of large fries. Which is nothing compared to the Sizzler London Broil Tannenbaum said he would of guaranteed Tomlinson if he became a FA.

Another one of they very few holes New England had heading into free agency that was filled right away.

Pass Rushing OLB - Check

Blocking TE - Check

Starting WR - Not yet

Cornerback to pair with Samuel - Not yet

Another one of they very few holes New England had heading into free agency that was filled right away.

Pass Rushing OLB - Check

Blocking TE - Check

Starting WR - Not yet

and what have we done? Somebody update our checklist for me...

paper.gif

I'm not yet in full panic mode but come on man-the other teams are making moves and there aren't a lot of good names out there....Bowens would be good...Travis Henry if he does get cut would be another-Joey Porter would really upgrade our LBing corps so would Banta-Cain-do SOME-THING

Pass Rushing OLB - Check

Blocking TE - Check

Starting WR - Not yet

They got the CB too. His name is Ellis Hobbs.

They got the CB too. His name is Ellis Hobbs.

You honestly believe that Ellis Hobbs is that good of a starting Corner that they can't upgrade at the position? I'm not buying it, I see New England going after either an ILB or CB with one of their 1st round selections.

I hated Brady when he was with the Jets..let him go to the Pats.

He's a big 270lb pussy..Donovin Darius knocked him out at the goal line in the 98 playoff game against the Jags..luckily,the dumbass just fell on the ball.

He could never put his head down and bowl people over..just a blocker..thats it.

He sucks

You honestly believe that Ellis Hobbs is that good of a starting Corner that they can't upgrade at the position? I'm not buying it, I see New England going after either an ILB or CB with one of their 1st round selections.

Oh, I absolutely think we could upgrade at CB but I just don't see the need. Hobbs played all last season with a shattered wrist and was still pretty solid. I think Samuel, Hobbs and Gay will be more than adequate with the hellacious pass rush we're going to be putting on quarterbacks. I wouldn't complain if we brought in a CB but I would rather see us get a WR or ILB first.

Oh, I absolutely think we could upgrade at CB but I just don't see the need. Hobbs played all last season with a shattered wrist and was still pretty solid. I think Samuel, Hobbs and Gay will be more than adequate with the hellacious pass rush we're going to be putting on quarterbacks. I wouldn't complain if we brought in a CB but I would rather see us get a WR or ILB first.

Very true. I've always been a fan of Gay but it seems that Hobbs is in favor more with Belichick & Co. WR is obviously your biggest current need but with the ILB aging, that is an important need as well. I could see New England walking away with the best off-season of any team if they are some how able to land Patrick Willis at 24 and a guy like Sidney Rice, David Bowe or someone along those lines at 29 or 30, wherever that 2nd 1st round pick is.

Very true. I've always been a fan of Gay but it seems that Hobbs is in favor more with Belichick & Co. WR is obviously your biggest current need but with the ILB aging, that is an important need as well. I could see New England walking away with the best off-season of any team if they are some how able to land Patrick Willis at 24 and a guy like Sidney Rice, David Bowe or someone along those lines at 29 or 30, wherever that 2nd 1st round pick is.

Youre a GAY FAN? I never knew that about you, but that doesn't make you a bad person..;)

It's celar to me from whats been going on the last few days that NE obviously cares more about winning consistantly for the near future then the Jets do.

the other possibility MM is there is another plan in place and I think it involves Vilma getting traded and us moving up in the draft AND getting another starter-but I changed my avatar picture (again) just in case...

<-----------feel free to use it Mikey

the other possibility MM is there is another plan in place and I think it involves Vilma getting traded and us moving up in the draft AND getting another starter-but I changed my avatar picture (again) just in case...

<-----------feel free to use it Mikey

Do you realize how many picks besides Vilma it will take to get into the top 5 like that rumor says? I just can't see that happening.

It's celar to me from whats been going on the last few days that NE obviously cares more about winning consistantly for the near future then the Jets do.

Until we get a real QB in here, we arent gonna be signing players to these ridiculous contracts. Deal with it, the Jets arent winning the SB in 07 or 08, and that has to do with the f##king cap hogging QB we have under center right now.

This team will make its run 2009 and beyond, put Clemens in now and see what he's got. Pennington will not be around in 2009 when we make our run.

We'll start signing more free agents when we get a real QB starting for us. Deal with it.

Do you realize how many picks besides Vilma it will take to get into the top 5 like that rumor says? I just can't see that happening.

hey we spent the 12th pick on Vilma if we can get it back....maybe get Carriker-or that WR....I'm just saying I'm trying to think outside the box on this...right now these guys running the show have built up some capitol or is it capital?

Until we get a real QB in here, we arent gonna be signing players to these ridiculous contracts. Deal with it, the Jets arent winning the SB in 07 or 08, and that has to do with the f##king cap hogging QB we have under center right now.

This team will make its run 2009 and beyond, put Clemens in now and see what he's got. Pennington will not be around in 2009 when we make our run.

We'll start signing more free agents when we get a real QB starting for us. Deal with it.

If that was really the case they would've cut chad to expedite the process. I don't see that happening. They are just trying to win on the cheap.

If that was really the case they would've cut chad to expedite the process. I don't see that happening. They are just trying to win on the cheap.

No. They needed Chad because he was the best option in 2006 to get the most wins. Wins makes players buy into the system. And thankfully, we got 10 wins and made the playoffs, and the players have bought into the system.

The process is not done yet, more weeds on the team will be thrown away, and we'll make our FA splashes once we get Clemens some playing time and see how he does.

You are literally b#tching in every thread about free agency. You act like this team is close to competing for a superbowl.

They're not even CLOSE to competing for a superbowl. We need a new QB.

No. They needed Chad because he was the best option in 2006 to get the most wins. Wins makes players buy into the system. And thankfully, we got 10 wins and made the playoffs, and the players have bought into the system.

The process is not done yet, more weeds on the team will be thrown away, and we'll make our FA splashes once we get Clemens some playing time and see how he does.

You are literally b#tching in every thread about free agency. You act like this team is close to competing for a superbowl.

They're not even CLOSE to competing for a superbowl. We need a new QB.

I was watching Jets Nation a little while ago and both Ray and Buttle said Clemens will get another year in the system but when he takes over watch out-he can sling it

Archived