Clemens fans...Will history repeat itself?

GM

I guess we shouldn't even try, then. Right? Since Chad Pennington is such a GREAT quarterback, I mean, why bother?

Not my point. I am just saying certain schools seem to produce better QBs. could Clemens buck the trend? Maybe. Is Oregon like Florida? Yes.

Is there any college out there than puts out more than 1 really solid QB in the NFL these days? The answer is no, so it doesnt mean much to me to say all oregon QBs suck before Clemens. So did all the Marshall QBs before Pennington, no? Where's Jay Cutler from? Brett Favre? The list can go on forever - point is no school is like a miami linebacker factory, only with QBs. It does not exist.

Can we name all the Notre Dame successes besides Joe Montana? How about the Stanford's except for John Elway?

I'm not saying Clemens is either but comeon, this is a stupid argument. What about your boy Chad? Can you name a Marshall QB who made it big in the pro's prior to Chad?

Is there any college out there than puts out more than 1 really solid QB in the NFL these days? The answer is no, so it doesnt mean much to me to say all oregon QBs suck before Clemens. So did all the Marshall QBs before Pennington, no? Where's Jay Cutler from? Brett Favre? The list can go on forever - point is no school is like a miami linebacker factory, only with QBs. It does not exist.

leinhart, palmer

brady, griese

but yeah, you're right there aren't many

leinhart, palmer

brady, griese

but yeah, you're right there aren't many

I wouldnt be so fast to put Leinart on the list just yet. I think he'll be very solid in Arizona, but he has had some injury problems with his throwing shoulder and elbow.

Which Griese are you talkin about? I think Bob Griese went to Purdue......

In Clemen's defense.. and I'm not picking sides, but when he was the QB they started running a different offense. So really he comes from another system then the rest of his Oregon predecessors.

Yea if I'm not mistaken all those other QBs (at least Harrington, Smith, and Feeley) had Jeff Tedford as their coach and ran that Tedford offense.

He was in a different system than they were so I don't really see the comparison.

Yea if I'm not mistaken all those other QBs (at least Harrington, Smith, and Feeley) had Jeff Tedford as their coach and ran that Tedford offense.

He was in a different system than they were so I don't really see the comparison.

Tedford is the coach at Cal. The oregon headcoach has remained the same throughout all those QB's tenure, he just decided to change his offense.

2 49 Kellen Clemens QB Oregon

1 3 Joey Harrington QB Oregon

5 155 A.J. Feeley QB Oregon

1 3 Akili Smith QB Oregon

4 106 Bill Musgrave QB Oregon

1 13 Chris Miller QB Oregon

lawrence taylor came from north carolina. how many tarheel linebackers are in the HOF. all your observation proves that oregan has bad QB lineage. it has nothing to do with kellen, we have seen what chad can do. now let see what this kid can do. thats all i'm saying

Can we name all the Notre Dame successes besides Joe Montana? How about the Stanford's except for John Elway?

I'm not saying Clemens is either but comeon, this is a stupid argument. What about your boy Chad? Can you name a Marshall QB who made it big in the pro's prior to Chad?

Not sure if you consider this big, but Byron Leftwich was the prior QB at Marshall.

Tedford is the coach at Cal. The oregon headcoach has remained the same throughout all those QB's tenure, he just decided to change his offense.

I believe that Tedford was the OC at Oregon before he took the Cal job. When he left is whne Mike Belotti changed the offense.

Not sure if you consider this big, but Byron Leftwich was the prior QB at Marshall.

Leftwich came after Pennington. Byron came in when Chad was a senior and Byron and Chad both are the same. Injury proned QB's.

2 49 Kellen Clemens QB Oregon

1 3 Joey Harrington QB Oregon

5 155 A.J. Feeley QB Oregon

1 3 Akili Smith QB Oregon

4 106 Bill Musgrave QB Oregon

1 13 Chris Miller QB Oregon

Harrington and lower were all Jeff tedford coached QB's in a run and shoot style offense. Clemens played in a completely different pro-style offense. Apples and oranges.

Now now, don't bring logic into this--you'll only confuse people. Clemens played for Oregon, which means he has no chance of ever putting up the eye-popping stats and championship-caliber performances of Chad Pennington.

I wouldnt be so fast to put Leinart on the list just yet. I think he'll be very solid in Arizona, but he has had some injury problems with his throwing shoulder and elbow.

Which Griese are you talkin about? I think Bob Griese went to Purdue......

I was talking about Brian, I'm not saying he is an all-pro by any means, but he is more than servicable. The Bears should have been playing him the whole year.

I bet you and 124 would take him over Penny.

Take it easy guys, some of you act like he insulted your mom....

He was merely pointing out a track record of QB's who may or may not have been very talented but it didnt translate from Oregon into the pros... its not that crazy to compare something like that...

Also you try to debunk it by saying well how many great QB's come out of one school... that wasnt the point... did any of those great QB's come from schools that churned out crappy QB's/ busts for years before them? Oregon has been steady in its poor QB's... was Montanas school steady with poor QB's before him?

NO need to get all crazy about it, if you can dish it about Chad, you gotta be able to take it with Clemens...

Very seldom does any school produce stud qb's more than once,because in all reality there is so few.Its in the genes and water with nfl qb's,not college programs.Look at Tennessee,they may have produced the most NFL ready qb ever in Peyton Manning,but Shuler and Tee Martin where never NFL ready,though Heath left too early and played for terrible o-lines.Clemens has a good chance imo just being on a good football team with a solid foundation to help on O.The line will also be better than it was last season.

He was merely pointing out a track record of QB's who may or may not have been very talented but it didnt translate from Oregon into the pros... its not that crazy to compare something like that...

Also you try to debunk it by saying well how many great QB's come out of one school... that wasnt the point... did any of those great QB's come from schools that churned out crappy QB's/ busts for years before them? Oregon has been steady in its poor QB's... was Montanas school steady with poor QB's before him?

NO need to get all crazy about it, if you can dish it about Chad, you gotta be able to take it with Clemens...

Actually it is a completely irrelevant argument. As I mentioned earlier, every prior QB was coached by Jeff Tedford in a run and shoot style offense, very similar to what Spurrier ran in FL. Kellen Clemens played in a pro style offense under a totally different regime. So unless you believe that the color of the uniform has any relevance to the outcome of performance, the argument bears no weight, plain and simple.

None of us got to see what happened at practice after camp was over and the season started so there's only the few nauseating moments KC got his hands (albeit momentarily) on the ball that we have to talk about. Not his college career, what kind of offense they ran, injury - that means squat. The only thing we have as concrete proof that KC did things that impressed the CS was his elevation to #2 toward the end of the season. The fact he got bumped down for the play-offs was 100% experience driven.

I hope like hell he can get his act together and throw the football for the Jets because we need someone who can - but I have no idea if he's got the right stuff. Thats what the CS gets paid to evaluate and act upon.

It actually is a pretty ridiculous argument cause most of those QBs were from Jeff Tedford's offense which Clemens was not. Jeff Tedford had coached those Oregon QBs and also Kyle Boller and Aarron Rodgers, have you noticed the actual pattern yet? Tedford is known for having QBs that do great in college and don't translate into the Pros.

Thank you for seeing the humor in the post. I guess Penny haters are more sensitive;) the the Penny supporters...

I was talking about Brian, I'm not saying he is an all-pro by any means, but he is more than servicable. The Bears should have been playing him the whole year.

I bet you and 124 would take him over Penny.

Did I not earlier in this thread say that I hope you weren't talking about Brian?:eek:

Marshall QB's sure have had a history of success. The only two Marshall alums to do anything in the pro's at QB spend more time on the sidelines then they actually do playing.

Is there any college out there than puts out more than 1 really solid QB in the NFL these days?

Glad you asked the question:

USC - Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart

Texas - Vince Young, Chris Simms

BC - Matt Hasselbeck, Doug Flutie

Michigan - Tom Brady, Brian Griese

Marshall - Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich

Miami - Jim Kelly, Vinny Testaverde

Brian Griese? Are you kidding me?

Simms & Young? 2 young guys who have proven nothing yet except Young can run and Simms can play with a shattered spleen for a half of a game.

Penny & Leftwich - 2 guys who see the bench more then they see the field.

The rest are pretty good combo's, but it goes to show there are not that many.

Dumbest. Post. Ever.

Brian Griese? Are you kidding me?

Simms & Young? 2 young guys who have proven nothing yet except Young can run and Simms can play with a shattered spleen for a half of a game.

Penny & Leftwich - 2 guys who see the bench more then they see the field.

The rest are pretty good combo's, but it goes to show there are not that many.

Griese should have started for the Bears this past season and everyone in Chicago knows it.

Simms and Young are both still young but they've played pretty well so far in their careers. Simms took the Bucs to the playoffs in '05 and he had the injury in '06 but son of Phil will be back. Vince Young is the next John Elway.

Penny & Leftwich - what qb has taken the Jets to the playoffs in '02, '04 and '06? They are both injury prone but anyone with any football knowledge would consider them both solid NFL QB's.

Archived