Revis' contract

Sperm Edwards

So overall it looks like we grossly overpaid. Did we?

His contract should have been in the ballpark of:

• 5 years
  • $15M total
  • $9M guaranteed

He got:

• $6 years
  • $30-36M total
  • $11.5M guaranteed

Why would the Jets do this?

They basically paid Revis an additional $2.5M in bonus money & another couple bucks/yr salary for the opportunity to lock him up for years 5 & 6 at $7-9M/yr.

From Cimini, it’s a 4-year/$16M deal with a (Jets) option for 2 more years. If he sucks, we overpaid him a couple mil for the first 4 years. Not a big deal. If he’s great? Well we get him for a 5th year at $7-9M (depending on bonuses). After that he’ll probably get a new deal negotiated.

So we paid him an extra $3M up front to retain him without a new contract in 2011 (for $7M).

The 6th year may not be so; ideally we redo his deal after the 2011 season (as opposed to after the 2010 season – same as Ferguson – if he’d only signed a 5-year deal). So we paid him an additional $10M ($3M in bonuses, $7-9M salary in 2011) to lock him up for that final year. If we can’t reach an agreement on an extension beyond that, we have him for 2012 at $7-9M. After that we could franchise him. By that time, the franchise tag for CB’s may be somewhere between $11-15M/yr range; impossible to predict really.

So what we did, it seems, is hedge a bet.

We overpaid a little (over the first 4 years) to make sure we aren’t forced into a potentially MASSIVE overpayment (think $100M with $30-40M guaranteed) in years 5-6. We are not in cap trouble anymore, so the extra $1M/yr for the next 3-4 years probably won’t be felt. (Yes, that is how much Kendall is whining about for 1 year; he must be fuming even more now).

Still not sure if it was a wise decision or not. Keep in mind because of doing all this, the kid did was totally absent for the first 3 weeks of training camp; will he see the field much in year one now? I guess time will tell.

If it turns out that he is a great player, that will be money well spent. The extra money translated from 2007 dollars to 2010 dollars makes it so.

If he does not turn out great, the deal does not look as good, but the money is not excessive where it handcuffs the team.

I don't think the line that was drawn in the sand by the Jets here translates to dollars, after seeing this, but moreso to how did they hinder his ability to adapt to this team in a quick fashion.

Only time will tell on that one.

only time on the field will tell. if he busts out, then neither of the above deals will look good.

I like the signing. it doesn't kill us financially, he'll come to camp without feeling slighted by the organization, & no money came out of joewilly's pocket

re kendall: every veteran in the nfl is either jealous of the new rookie on their team or can't do math very well

If it turns out that he is a great player, that will be money well spent. The extra money translated from 2007 dollars to 2010 dollars makes it so.

If he does not turn out great, the deal does not look as good, but the money is not excessive where it handcuffs the team.

I don't think the line that was drawn in the sand by the Jets here translates to dollars, after seeing this, but moreso to how did they hinder his ability to adapt to this team in a quick fashion.

Only time will tell on that one.

What it boils down to is that he gets $11.5 million guaranteed and he hasn't

played a down yet. Like everyone else in his position itsstill a crap shoot.

If he becomes the player they think he will be its money well spent.

If not.................

only time on the field will tell. if he busts out, then neither of the above deals will look good.

I like the signing. it doesn't kill us financially, he'll come to camp without feeling slighted by the organization, & no money came out of joewilly's pocket

re kendall: every veteran in the nfl is either jealous of the new rookie on their team or can't do math very well

:rl:

No kidding. Let's see...There's either going to be a big jump in the salary cap or by next year there won't be ANY salary cap. Hmmm...let me lock myself up for an extra 3 years on the cheap.

A man this stupid doesn't deserve extra money. He should be more furious with his agent than anyone else. What are the Jets supposed to do - say, "You know Pete, this contract is a great deal for the Jets & even though we get screwed on overpaying some players we just can't bring ourselves to potentially underpay someone who doesn't have a long-term future with the team. Here - have more money than you negotiated for."

But as far as Revis, like I said - we'll see. At least he's not guaranteed an ungodly motherload to get this done. If missing all those practices hinders his ability to do much in '07, well then so much for getting an extra year out of his rookie deal.

What it boils down to is that he gets $11.5 million guaranteed and he hasn't

played a down yet. Like everyone else in his position itsstill a crap shoot.

If he becomes the player they think he will be its money well spent.

If not.................

And that is the roulette game of guys drafted in the first round.

Unfortunately, if history teaches us anything, the best bargains are not in theh first round and the money vs. contribution never math up to each other.

Hopefully, need fits talent in this case.

And that is the roulette game of guys drafted in the first round.

Unfortunately, if history teaches us anything, the best bargains are not in theh first round and the money vs. contribution never math up to each other.

Hopefully, need fits talent in this case.

I think that's really more for the guys in the top 6 (particularly top 3). They get so much more. Mario/Bush/Young all got $50-60M deals last year.

I think that's really more for the guys in the top 6 (particularly top 3). They get so much more. Mario/Bush/Young all got $50-60M deals last year.

draft pick $$$ is gettin way out of hand. it's their only chance in their careers to have the upper hand over a team in contract talks.

this is unlike everyone else on the planet negoriating for a job's 1st paycheck.

way overpaid.........

but like Scott said..if he performs well..its money well spent..if hes a bust..then we wasted 30 million......

lol

If he's a bust we only have him for 4 years/$16M. So if that's the case we wasted probably in the neighborhood of $3M.

If he's a decent but not great corner (like Dyson) this was a bad deal as well; we would have just kept him for his usual 5th year at reasonable $.

If he's all-pro material then it's a good deal for us; particularly if he's able to be a (positive) contributor by mid-season.

I honestly don't know what they do in basketball or if hockey even ponies up for a good dental plan for rookies. Placing a $$$ ceiling on each draftposition for each slot for the 1st couple rounds seem like an easy & logical solution though

I honestly don't know what they do in basketball or if hockey even ponies up for a good dental plan for rookies. Placing a $$$ ceiling on each draftposition for each slot for the 1st couple rounds seem like an easy & logical solution though

sounds like an anti-trust violation to me, of course the major leagues are just that so oh well

It is a slotted system.

The problem with the system is that it is so heavily weighted with the fist round picks (especially early picks), that it becomes unfair to veterans and othefr players established.

If he's a bust we only have him for 4 years/$16M. So if that's the case we wasted probably in the neighborhood of $3M.

If he's a decent but not great corner (like Dyson) this was a bad deal as well; we would have just kept him for his usual 5th year at reasonable $.

If he's all-pro material then it's a good deal for us; particularly if he's able to be a (positive) contributor by mid-season.

We have to make the assumption that he will be an above average player going in, otherwise why move up to grab him. Given the current and future increase in the cap, the long term downside is minimal.

I'm happy we finally got him in and if we paid a little extra in the short-term, to keep him on the cheap long term then I have no problems with that.

To those that think missing this time eliminates his ability to contribute immediately I disagree. I think he'll at least make a contribution as a PR early on and work his way into starting CB. However, I've heard many times that CB is one of the easier positions to come in and handle as a rookie from the standpoint that if you have the physical part down, mainly being able to stay with the receiver, one can get by with that and be effective without mastering the nueances of the position.

I believe that if he struggles early then he was going to do that anyway, regardless of how much training camp he missed. Missing 2, possibly only 1, preseason games shouldn't severely stunt his growth, especially considering his position. I've been very high on him, anyway, so I'm not worried.

It is a slotted system.

The problem with the system is that it is so heavily weighted with the fist round picks (especially early picks), that it becomes unfair to veterans and othefr players established.

thanks, well naturally there is no easy solution.

You can't take it with you! :)

BZ

That's why I don't think it's a bad deal. We're well under the cap so guaranteed money this year is no problem. They are scared of the big hit when everybody becomes a FA at once and this apparently solves that. Sure it's too much money compared to the others, but it had to be to get the 6th year. The question is, if they were going to overpay why not do it before TC started?

I don't have much to back this up, but i don't think Revis could be a bust. He could be really good, or just a pretty decent corner, around Dyson's capabilities or a little bit less. I think i get the feeling since he isn't touted as being just a 'burner' but rather a smart player that played for a HC in college that typically has good secondary play.

JMO

I don't have much to back this up, but i don't think Revis could be a bust. He could be really good, or just a pretty decent corner, around Dyson's capabilities or a little bit less. I think i get the feeling since he isn't touted as being just a 'burner' but rather a smart player that played for a HC in college that typically has good secondary play.

JMO

Ask Andre Wadsworth if there are any guarantees of playing success.

There is no such thing as a sure thing.

We have to make the assumption that he will be an above average player going in, otherwise why move up to grab him. Given the current and future increase in the cap, the long term downside is minimal.

good point. does anyone know how cornerback $$$$$ in the top half of the 1st round draft

has progressed from 6 yrs ago to this year. the extra year could prove to be a real bargain if he's what we think he is.

Ask Andre Wadsworth if there are any guarantees of playing success.

There is no such thing as a sure thing.

That was largely contributed to injuries. No one can predict that. All i'm saying is, without injury, Revis will be decent to a pretty good corner.

But he won't be a bust.

That was largely contributed to injuries. No one can predict that. All i'm saying is, without injury, Revis will be decent to a pretty good corner.

But he won't be a bust.

Wadsworth - who I would LOVE to see make the team - was a bust as a draft pick. We all know why, but the reason why is irrelevant.

:rl:

No kidding. Let's see...There's either going to be a big jump in the salary cap or by next year there won't be ANY salary cap. Hmmm...let me lock myself up for an extra 3 years on the cheap.

A man this stupid doesn't deserve extra money. He should be more furious with his agent than anyone else. What are the Jets supposed to do - say, "You know Pete, this contract is a great deal for the Jets & even though we get screwed on overpaying some players we just can't bring ourselves to potentially underpay someone who doesn't have a long-term future with the team. Here - have more money than you negotiated for."

But as far as Revis, like I said - we'll see. At least he's not guaranteed an ungodly motherload to get this done. If missing all those practices hinders his ability to do much in '07, well then so much for getting an extra year out of his rookie deal.

He should start by week 3 or 4 at the latest. As some report pointed out (forget which one), its not like he'll be competing with Champ Bailey or Ty Law.

Wadsworth - who I would LOVE to see make the team - was a bust as a draft pick. We all know why, but the reason why is irrelevant.

The reason is very relevant.

You can't predict injuries. Anyone can get injured at anytime. That doesn't make them a bust. It makes them a disappoinment or a failed draft pick - but not a bust. Ryan Leaf is a bust.

You can't predict injuries. Anyone can get injured at anytime. That doesn't make them a bust. It makes them a disappoinment or a failed draft pick - but not a bust. Ryan Leaf is a bust.

It is a busted pick. A letdown. Less than you thought you were getting.

It's all semantics; use the opposite language if it helps. There is no guarantee that he will be a successful pick.

Does that go down easier now?

If he has the potential to make $36 million over 6 years, so be it. $11 million guarenteed is 2 more than Carriker, but thats okay in my book because Cornerbacks usually get more than Defensive Lineman. He is not going to definitely make $30-36 million, he just has the potential to do so. This contract is probably just like any other 1st round pick around his area of selection until the final two years of the deal.

It is a busted pick. A letdown. Less than you thought you were getting.

It's all semantics; use the opposite language if it helps. There is no guarantee that he will be a successful pick.

Does that go down easier now?

You just don't get it.

And no it doesn't help.

D.i.c.k.head.

Well said.

Archived