Don't Give Up on Pennington Just Yet

floridajet

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2007/08/dont_give_up_on_pennington.html

"Some Jets fans are amazing. Chad Pennington has one bad performance and, all of a sudden, they want Kellen Clemens at quarterback. Take a second and listen to yourselves: You want to replace a proven veteran, a player who has led the Jets to three playoff appearances, with someone who has yet to take a meaningful regular-season snap? Puh-leeze!"

I know 90% of Jet fans respect Rich Cimini. The above is from his blog..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faba I hear what you are saying but teams all across the league are playing clunkers..now this game against the Giants will show some things as the starters will need to be sharp as they will be playing into the 3rd quarter.

4H I really do not put much into exhibition games results-I have seen too many times once the season starts everything is totally different-from a experienced QB though you expect a better performance even in a exhibition game.

I am so down on Pennington right now I'm ready to flush my signature down the toilet.

Let me tell you why. It's not because Pennington made 2 bad decisions and threw 2 picks Friday night. Hey it's preseason you know whatever.

It's because for some absurd reason I believed that it would be different this year. That somehow playing in the same system for a second year he would somehow be better and he would show it with only 3 weeks before the regular season.

But now I know he's not better than last year and he won't ever be better than last year. Nor will the rest of the team. Continuity for the most part is bs.

Look I think Pennington is a good QB, but he's limited. Call it arm strength or whatever you want, but he can't make a lot of the throws on the field. Most of his throws (you can throw in a high % here) are simply dumpoffs. He can manage the game, but he can't win it.

In other words Pennington is only as good as the talent around him. This team for the most part is very average.

But I don't think getting rid of Pennington is the answer. The team needs more talented players, especially upfront, on both fronts. And it's going to take time.

That's why I'm down. Not just on Pennington. I think it's going to be a rough season. Maybe next season too. Right now I'm not a believer in Mangini's schemes and 2nd rate free agents. There is no substitute for talent. I let Pennington and Vilma fool me until now, but not anymore.

We all do not expect to see such a terrible performance even though it was a exhibition game fron Pennington so he deserves the criticism he is getting.

Criticism sure, but there's a difference between criticism and saying he should lose the starting job becase he didn't play well in a preseason game.

I am so down on Pennington right now I'm ready to flush my signature down the toilet.

Let me tell you why. It's not because Pennington made 2 bad decisions and threw 2 picks Friday night. Hey it's preseason you know whatever.

It's because for some absurd reason I believed that it would be different this year. That somehow playing in the same system for a second year he would somehow be better and he would show it with only 3 weeks before the regular season.

But now I know he's not better than last year and he won't ever be better than last year. Nor will the rest of the team. Continuity for the most part is bs.

Look I think Pennington is a good QB, but he's limited. Call it arm strength or whatever you want, but he can't make a lot of the throws on the field. Most of his throws (you can throw in a high % here) are simply dumpoffs. He can manage the game, but he can't win it.

In other words Pennington is only as good as the talent around him. This team for the most part is very average.

But I don't think getting rid of Pennington is the answer. The team needs more talented players, especially upfront, on both fronts. And it's going to take time.

That's why I'm down. Not just on Pennington. I think it's going to be a rough season. Maybe next season too. Right now I'm not a believer in Mangini's schemes and 2nd rate free agents. There is no substitute for talent. I let Pennington and Vilma fool me until now, but not anymore.

Everyone had the same critisism last year. The talent around Penny was even worse then it is now at this time last year and we still got into the playoffs. I understand this year we have a tougher schedule, but you cannot underestimate the value of good coaching. Preparation and film study means A LOT in this league, and Mangini excels in both depts., meaning that once again, we should have a chance to win almost every game this season.

However, I do agree that this team is NOWHERE NEAR REBUILT.... We still have a while to go on both sides of the ball. On offense we need some solid blockers that can clear out holes for the RBs and protect the QB and on defense we need some help on the line and the OLB spot opposite Thomas, who is good, but not good enough to be the key player on a defense. Sure, 5 sacks is good, but to be REALLY succesful in the 3-4 you need one OLB getting 3-5 sacks per season and the other getting 7-10 (or you can just have 1 OLB that gets 12-14, i.e. the Chargers and Merriman)....Neither Hobson or Bowens are capable of those #s IMO.

We're not a Super Bowl team right now, so Pennington is fine while we work out the other problems. I've thought our O-line needs significant improvement and I still don't understand why it's been ignored again. Maybe Mangini thinks he can coach up O-linemen quickly and will focus on it next year, but more likely I think Tangini overestimated the talent on this team. This offense is STILL in shambles, while the defense improved tremedously down the stretch, and I believe posted something like the 10th ranking, the offense was putrid, ranking around 25th. So what do we draft this year? More defense. The Pats system works because they have pretty much the best QB in the NFL, but they did put more emphasis on O-line and they draft more offense than the Jets do. And this offseason, they clearly geared up their offense, so i don't see how a rookie CB and LB are going to make that much of a difference.

Pennington's preseason performance means nothing. The problem is this team has stayed at about the same level while pretty much EVERY other playoff contender took steps to improve, or has improved based on experience (Denver with Cutler in his second year, Bengals with Palmer not coming off an injury, the Chargers getting rid of Marty and with Rivers playing his second year as a starter, the Pats loading up on offense, Steelers with a dedicated coach and Roethlisberger not coming off an injury...the Colts are still ahead of us even without improvements, exactly how do we get into the playoffs this time?)

We all do not expect to see such a terrible performance even though it was a exhibition game fron Pennington so he deserves the criticism he is getting.

very, very true! I have seen some guys saying" Chad assusres us of 10 wins". Mediocrity and some Jets fans are satisfied! The only stat that is important is: How many SB rings does a QB have! If Chad can not get us there, should we settle for 10 wins and ONE and DONE? Like HERM, it took a very mediocre season for some Jets fans to realise that Herm was not what he seemed to be!

Well you all better get used to it if you are going to post here.

Just about everything the Jets do is either because of Chad's Greatness or Chad's Suckiness.

People won't worry about the running game or OL or the Defense. Chad will be responsible for all of it.

It is the QB position to perfection.

When they win the QB gets all the credit

When they lose the QB takes the blame.

It is one of the downsides of this board and the main reason why I won't be posting here on Sundays.

Preparation and film study means A LOT in this league, and Mangini excels in both depts., meaning that once again, we should have a chance to win almost every game this season.

I hate to burst your bubble, but Mangenius is nothing special except that he's organized and obsessive/compulsive. His coaching won't compensate for a a sore lack of talent. sorry to be the one to tell you.

I hate to burst your bubble, but Mangenius is nothing special except that he's organized and obsessive/compulsive. His coaching won't compensate for a a sore lack of talent. sorry to be the one to tell you.

Name one game (other then Jax) where we we didnt have a shot to win it late...and we are much more talented now then we were a year ago.

Name one game (other then Jax) where we we didnt have a shot to win it late...and we are much more talented now then we were a year ago.

Chicago, Buffalo and realistically the first New England game. And I disagree that we are much more talented now than a year ago. the rookies will have little impact this year and the other additions are all second rate players, nothing to get a hardon over.

tell me where have you seen any evidence that this team is more talented than last year?

Chicago, Buffalo and realistically the first New England game. And I disagree that we are much more talented now than a year ago. the rookies will have little impact this year and the other additions are all second rate players, nothing to get a hardon over.

tell me where have you seen any evidence that this team is more talented than last year?

Okay,

TJ>>>Barlow

Bowens>Chatham

Harris>Schlegel/Kassel

Stuckey>Dwight

Revis>Barrett, DColeman

KColeman>kimo

Need I go on? No, they are not all HUGE differences but they are all upgrades.

Chicago I disagree with for sure, same with New England...Had our defense pulled through and forced the Patsies to punt, we would have had the ball in good field position with 3+ mins remaining. With Chicago we were 1 missed tackle away from forcing a punt and it being only a 3 pt game.

Buffalo is a game i forgot about, and your right.... But that wasnt due to a lack of talent, that was due to our entiire team coming out flat IMO.

Okay,

TJ>>>Barlow

Bowens>Chatham

Harris>Schlegel/Kassel

Stuckey>Dwight

Revis>Barrett, DColeman

KColeman>kimo

Chicago I disagree with for sure, same with New England...Had our defense pulled through and forced the Patsies to punt, we would have had the ball in good field position with 3+ mins remaining. With Chicago we were 1 missed tackle away from forcing a punt and it being only a 3 pt game.

Buffalo is a game i forgot about, and your right.... But that wasnt due to a lack of talent, that was due to our entiire team coming out flat IMO.

As I said the rookies will make little to no impact this year and the 2nd rate free agents will be marginally better, maybe. not enough to say this team is 'much better'.

Uhh, the Jets had realistically no chance in the New England game. The Jets got very fortunate to even get as close as they did in the score. They were clearly outmatched and couldn't stop the run at all.

Chicago's defense clearly had the best of Pennington, who turned the ball over at least 2 times with interceptions if I remember correctly.

As I said the rookies will make little to no impact this year and the 2nd rate free agents will be marginally better, maybe. not enough to say this team is 'much better'.

Uhh, the Jets had realistically no chance in the New England game. The Jets got very fortunate to even get as close as they did in the score. They were clearly outmatched and couldn't stop the run at all.

Chicago's defense clearly had the best of Pennington, who turned the ball over at least 2 times with interceptions if I remember correctly.

I still disagree about the NE game....

And about the Chi game, that almost proves my point. Penny had a crappy game and if it werent for a missed tackle we'd be getting the ball back late in the 3rd quarter down by only 3.

PEN375096.jpg

Oh, oh, oh, oh -

It must have been cold there in my shadow,

To never have sunlight on your face.

You were content to let me shine, thats your way.

You always walked a step behind.

So I was the one with all the glory,

While you were the one with all the strain.

A beautiful face without a name for so long.

A beautiful smile to hide the pain.

Did you ever know that youre my hero,

And everything I would like to be?

I can fly higher than an eagle,

For you are the wind beneath my wings.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed,

But Ive got it all here in my heart.

I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it.

I would be nothing without you.

Did you ever know that youre my hero?

Youre everything I wish I could be.

I could fly higher than an eagle,

Did I ever tell you youre my hero?

Youre everything, everything I wish I could be.

Oh, and i, I could fly higher than an eagle,

For you are the wind beneath my wings,

cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

Oh, the wind beneath my wings.

You, you, you, you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly, fly, fly away. you let me fly so high.

Oh, you, you, you, the wind beneath my wings.

Fly, fly, fly high against the sky,

So high I almost touch the sky.

Thank you, thank you,

Thank God for you, the wind beneath my wings.

PEN375096.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2007/08/dont_give_up_on_pennington.html

"Some Jets fans are amazing. Chad Pennington has one bad performance and, all of a sudden, they want Kellen Clemens at quarterback. Take a second and listen to yourselves: You want to replace a proven veteran, a player who has led the Jets to three playoff appearances, with someone who has yet to take a meaningful regular-season snap? Puh-leeze!"

I know 90% of Jet fans respect Rich Cimini. The above is from his blog..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Proven veteran"? Please tell us exactly what he has proven? I worship at the altar of results and so far Chad has come up empty, at best.

"Proven veteran"? Please tell us exactly what he has proven? I worship at the altar of results and so far Chad has come up empty, at best.

Since he's been with the Jets, they win a lot more often with him in there than when he's not. I get all the critism of Chad. The arm is not strong, and looked like the major culprit on his first int last week. I'd love for Kellen to step up and take the job, because that would demonstrate that we had an improvement at the position. From what I've seen, there's no reason to hand the job to Kellen, yet. So what do you do?

Chad brings smarts to the job - like the quick snap that caught the Vikes with 12 men on the field - and that's nice to have. Hopefully the poor performance was just rust. I love Cotch & Coles, and they both seem to love Penny (despite the fact that Penny seems to be out to kill them on Sundays), so there must be something there.

The most popular guy on a football team is the backup QB.

It is the way it it, has been and always will be, unless you get a Brady, Manning, or Elway.

Those QB's though come once in a blue moon.

Any Jets fan out there remember the QB controversy between Richard Todd and Matt Robinson ? That probably set the team back at least a year or two because of the divisivness that had set in during that 1979 season.

There is no QB issues as far as I'm concerned. Until Chad shows he cannot do the job he is the starter.

I hear what your saying, and here is my two cents worth, Penny is exactly what we have. There is NO WAY an experienced QB throws not 1 but 2 INTS for TDs. The defense was just sitting back there (remember last years Chicago game). Penny has a tough time reading D's thats for sure. However, remember he did not throw a pass last week against the falcons there were 16 straight running plays.

Two things are going on here, the Jets want to win now and there is no more let's wait and see. Penny has got to step up and play up. It's now or never. I read the paper this morning and Penny says he can fix those mistakes in a heart beat. I don't agree.

I am not ready to give Penny the boot, but if he comes out this week against the Jints and blows, then we have a real problem on our hands and the season will go in the toilet real fast.

Lets all hope that's not the case and Penny steps up. I think he will. My fingers are crossed.

Okay,

TJ>>>Barlow

Bowens>Chatham

Harris>Schlegel/Kassel

Stuckey>Dwight

Revis>Barrett, DColeman

KColeman>kimo

Maybe eventually with some of these. But for right now...

let's see if TJ can last the season injury-free;

Harris won't see the field

Stuckey will rarely see the field

Revis - who knows what he'll contribute as a rookie who missed 3 wks of tc

KColeman I thought was still behind Kimo on the depth chart

I don't even think Jones is necessarily better than Leon. I'm sure he has more power but what he lacks is Leon's ability to turn nothing into something or turn a sliver of daylight into 20 yards. People who are expecting some great RB are in for a major disappointment. 4.0ypc (the NFL average) with a QB who - despite his shortcomings - legitimately stretched out the defense & with a far better OL than we have. People think Chad throwing all dumpoffs & our mostly sucky OL are going to make TJ better than he was with Chicago?

The best addition this team made in terms of impact this season was Barnes to replace Askew.

PEN375096.jpg

Oh, oh, oh, oh -

It must have been cold there in my shadow,

To never have sunlight on your face.

You were content to let me shine, thats your way.

You always walked a step behind.

So I was the one with all the glory,

While you were the one with all the strain.

A beautiful face without a name for so long.

A beautiful smile to hide the pain.

Did you ever know that youre my hero,

And everything I would like to be?

I can fly higher than an eagle,

It might have appeared to go unnoticed,

But Ive got it all here in my heart.

I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it.

I would be nothing without you.

Did you ever know that youre my hero?

Youre everything I wish I could be.

I could fly higher than an eagle,

Did I ever tell you youre my hero?

Youre everything, everything I wish I could be.

Oh, and i, I could fly higher than an eagle,

For you are the wind beneath my wings,

cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

Oh, the wind beneath my wings.

You, you, you, you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly, fly, fly away. you let me fly so high.

Fly, fly, fly high against the sky,

So high I almost touch the sky.

Thank you, thank you,

Thank God for you, the wind beneath my wings.

PEN375096.jpg

<sigh> I'm all misty

Maybe eventually with some of these. But for right now...

let's see if TJ can last the season injury-free;

Harris won't see the field

Stuckey will rarely see the field

Revis - who knows what he'll contribute as a rookie who missed 3 wks of tc

KColeman I thought was still behind Kimo on the depth chart

I don't even think Jones is necessarily better than Leon. I'm sure he has more power but what he lacks is Leon's ability to turn nothing into something or turn a sliver of daylight into 20 yards. People who are expecting some great RB are in for a major disappointment. 4.0ypc (the NFL average) with a QB who - despite his shortcomings - legitimately stretched out the defense & with a far better OL than we have. People think Chad throwing all dumpoffs & our mostly sucky OL are going to make TJ better than he was with Chicago?

The best addition this team made in terms of impact this season was Barnes to replace Askew.

Harris will see the field more then either Schlegel or Kassel, Stuckey will see the field more then Dwight, and KColeman is only behind Kimo now because they want him to learn the D...From what I saw at the 2 practices i went to, it seemed obvious that Coleman will be the starter over Kimo. Even if Revis doesnt become our #1 or #2 right away, he will be an upgrade over Barret/DColeman/Poteat in the nickel. I was about to mention Barnes>Askew but that could start a whole argument about how Barnes is only one dimensional and blah blah....But I agree, Barnes will be a help to our offense this year.

Harris will see the field more then either Schlegel or Kassel, Stuckey will see the field more then Dwight, and KColeman is only behind Kimo now because they want him to learn the D...From what I saw at the 2 practices i went to, it seemed obvious that Coleman will be the starter over Kimo. Even if Revis doesnt become our #1 or #2 right away, he will be an upgrade over Barret/DColeman/Poteat in the nickel. I was about to mention Barnes>Askew but that could start a whole argument about how Barnes is only one dimensional and blah blah....But I agree, Barnes will be a help to our offense this year.

Well Askew was zero dimensional.

Schlegel never saw the field at all until December, so Harris would have to be the worst player in the league to top that.

While Stuckey will see the field more than Dwight, the #5 WR simply doesn't get on the field that often.

Hope you're right about everything else, particularly K.Coleman.

I still disagree about the NE game....

And about the Chi game, that almost proves my point. Penny had a crappy game and if it werent for a missed tackle we'd be getting the ball back late in the 3rd quarter down by only 3.

Listen the point is pennington will always have a crappy game against defenses like chicago and our defense will always struggle against good offenses, especially running games.

Nothing has really changed from last year. the team still has average talent and continuity hasn't seemed to help them play better than they are.

Listen the point is pennington will always have a crappy game against defenses like chicago and our defense will always struggle against good offenses, especially running games.

Nothing has really changed from last year. the team still has average talent and continuity hasn't seemed to help them play better than they are.

I disagree again. TJ is better then any RB we had last year and Penny has had an injury free year which he used to improve the nuances of his game even more. True, the OL situation isnt much better but i think we do have a better team overall. Our defense is better as well, with the addition of Revis, Coleman, Bowens, as well as Vilma, Rhodes and Dyson deeply solidified. I think given that team, good coaching can make up for some slight disadvantages we have against other teams.

Also, how do you know that continuity won't help? One bad preseason game? Oh, i see, so if you look sloppy in a preseason game mine as well just forfeit the whole regular season as well because it'll just be a lost cause, right?

PEN375096.jpg

Don't give up on us, Baby

Don't make our love seem light

The future isn't just one night

It's written in the moonlight

And painted on the stars

We can't change ours

We're still worth one more try

I know we put a last one by

Just for a rainy evening

When maybe stars are few

Don't give up on us, I know

We can still come through

I really lost my head last night

You've got a right to start believing

There's still a little love left, even so

Lord knows we've come this far

Can't we stay the way we are?

The angel and the dreamer

Who sometimes play a fool

You've got a right to stop believing

Just for a rainy evening

When maybe stars are few

PEN375096.jpg

PEN375096.jpg

Don't make our love seem light

The future isn't just one night

It's written in the moonlight

And painted on the stars

We can't change ours

We're still worth one more try

I know we put a last one by

Just for a rainy evening

When maybe stars are few

You've got a right to start believing

Lord knows we've come this far

Can't we stay the way we are?

The angel and the dreamer

Who sometimes play a fool

You've got a right to stop believing

Just for a rainy evening

When maybe stars are few

PEN375096.jpg

keep your friends close and your enemies closer? umm, what?

I disagree again. TJ is better then any RB we had last year and Penny has had an injury free year which he used to improve the nuances of his game even more. True, the OL situation isnt much better but i think we do have a better team overall. Our defense is better as well, with the addition of Revis, Coleman, Bowens, as well as Vilma, Rhodes and Dyson deeply solidified. I think given that team, good coaching can make up for some slight disadvantages we have against other teams.

Also, how do you know that continuity won't help? One bad preseason game? Oh, i see, so if you look sloppy in a preseason game mine as well just forfeit the whole regular season as well because it'll just be a lost cause, right?

the team overall is only marginally better. as far as continuity it's just hopeful speculation at this point. Have you actually seen any evidence of this team playing better?

Hey Guys, I was thinking about these posts and almost all of you guys make some good points, here are some of my thoughts pro and con regarding Penny, but let me just say I am not ready to throw in the towel with Penny but....

1. Last years Chicago loss was 99% Penny's fault. He just can't read a linebacker that is just sitting there waiting.

2. What happened in the Cleveland game?

3. At least two games last year that Penny performed very well...the Vikes and Buffalo.

The question is can Penny perform week in and week out?

That's the very point, hopefully the answer is finally yes.

I think continuity will help. It can't hurt. Barring injuries, there is no position on this team where the Jets are not equal or better than last season, unless you count the Kendall situation. IMO the depth chart is meaningless with this team. Mangini bounces those guys around and I'm pretty sure that Kimo won't be starting on opening day. Remember Drew Coleman starting opening day? Guys get shuffled around like crazy.

I wouldn't compare Barnes to Askew. Askew didn't play that much-IMO Barnes is basically replacing Sean Ryan who did a great deal of the blocking out of the backfield. How has Barnes looked in the preseason? I haven't been able to see the games.

If you're counting Pennington's good games from last season you have to count Green Bay. That was basically a perfect half and the game was over before he made even a minor mistake.

Archived