Jetsblog- The Rope-A-Dope?

Kentucky Jet

It's no secret that teams do not go out on game 1 of the season and unleash all their weapons, and that makes sense.

I can surely see that carrying over to the pre-season but not sure if that carries over to the play of the OL. The last thing a team needs is to have their QB hurt at any time of the year, and even more so in pre-season.

That's what I was saying last week in my Are We Sandbagging It? thread. I can't believe we're this crappy a team. Last year Chad did the same kind of performances in PS and then came out like gangbusters with a couple of 300 yard games.

I'm not saying our PS crappiness is all on Chad's shoulders either-look at the OL and DL play-and no running game again...to an untrained eye it could look downright scary to be a Jets fan right about now...but I should know better

I guess I'll feel better when I see a new big fat veteran guard in between the Brick and Nick show...

As much I'd love to believe this, I don't think Magini told the offensive line to allow a potentially injury causing jaibreak just to mislead the Pats.

well said & my feelings exactly. i'm not throwin in the towell on the jets cause of preseason though. Our poor performance will have no bearing on my enthusiam for beating the pats on week 1

As much I'd love to believe this, I don't think Magini told the offensive line to allow a potentially injury causing jaibreak just to mislead the Pats.

Exactly. You don't risk injury to other players by playing crappy on purpose. Now, maybe we're just crappy at playing vanilla style football, but dogging it on purpose...highly unlikely.

It was sure exciting to see us wail on Tennessee last year in the opener. Chad looked like he was in 02 form, even better. I was amazed. Even losing to the Colts and the Chowds there was still reason to be highly optimistic... and then we played Jacksonville.

We don't have the Titans to open against this year but I still want to be amazed.

It's no secret that teams do not go out on game 1 of the season and unleash all their weapons, and that makes sense.

I can surely see that carrying over to the pre-season but not sure if that carries over to the play of the OL. The last thing a team needs is to have their QB hurt at any time of the year, and even more so in pre-season.

The problem : The OTHER teams were playing VANILLA too and they out-physicaled us!

Secondly: It is amazing how so many guys use the new-found phrase VANILLA to defend CHAD PENNINGTON and yet call for VILMA's hide. Could the DEFENSE be "hiding " VILMA by playing a VANILLA defense?

In short, we ought to know that when a group is out-physicaled, it is NOT Vanilla. It is terrible football!

Exactly. You don't risk injury to other players by playing crappy on purpose. Now, maybe we're just crappy at playing vanilla style football, but dogging it on purpose...highly unlikely.

That sounds like the best answer yet.

What the team lacks in talent was compensated for last season with good gameplanning and scheming. Without that, it is just vanilla, and the talent deficits on the OL and DL showed bigtime.

if they aren't using the 'rope-a-dope'

what the alternative? that an AFC playoff team returning 20 out of 22 starters suddenly sucks? why would Jets fans believe that?

we all know week 1 is the biggest game of the year

they aren't showing jack.

what the alternative? that an AFC playoff team returning 20 out of 22 starters suddenly sucks? why would Jets fans believe that?

Agreed, they arent showing jack to anyone in terms of adjustments that they will counter with. But IMO the biggest game of the year is week 15, with week 13 being pretty important as well. It would be great to get a win on week 1, but I wont worry about a loss if it happens.

IM sure Mangini knows the Oline sucks... but your right about not showing anything... they cant possibly play well with a limited playbook and no adjustments... that was this teams strength... having a big playbook...

I agree that we'll look ALOT better with all the schemes finally being used. But does anyone actually believe that Vilma has been lying low, only to surprise the Patriots with his run stuffing skills? Or that our lines are only pretending to be overpowered?

I know the Jets are going to be much better when they're not running vanilla schemes. But smoke and mirrors can only do so much. I'm worried about what will happen when we play physical teams that can beat up on us like Jacksonville and Chicago did last year.

The Rope-a-dope?

It’s been well-documented what a huge boxing fan that Eric Mangini is, and how he’s integrated that into his coaching, from showing the team great fights from the past as a motivational tool to having renowned trainer Teddy Atlas work with the offensive and defensive linemen on their hand fighting and footwork. He has often compared football to boxing, noting how the philosophies of each dovetail — having a game plan, being able to adapt to your opponent, being able to survive an early onslaught and comeback for a victory, perseverance, and most importantly, finishing, be it a block, a play or an opponent. As both are physical endeavors, there are many other parallels also.

Taking that into account, I’ve been looking at the Jets preseason games thus far and have began to wonder that if maybe Mangini isn’t using another old boxing trick, made famous by “The Greatest,” Muhammad Ali: The Rope-a-dope.

Okay, I know teams traditionally run vanilla schemes during the preseason, but with the first game that actually matters being the rival Patriots (and regular season season contest versus the Giants and Eagles), I wonder if Mangini has the Jets holding back even more than usual, laying up on the ropes and almost choreographing some of the poor performances we’ve seen thus far.

Is it really so crazy to suggest that he’d let the team “stink” during the preseason — no complex schemes, no adjustments, no gameplan, hey Chad, just dink and dunk more so than usual — just to fake out the Giants, the Iggles, the fans, the media, and most importantly, the Pats in Week 1? Then, when it finally counts (not unlike last year in Tennessee) — BOOM! The Jets unleash a barrage of punishing blows capped off by an uppercut out of nowhere that leaves the (predicted) champ crumpled on the canvas. . . .

I guess I keep thinking this because I find it too hard to believe that a 10-6 playoff team from last season who beat the Pats in New England and hung with them for 3 quarters in the first round last year AND is returning 20 or 22 starters — as well as most of the coaching staff — has suddenly fallen and can’t get up. What do you all think?

Author: R_in_CT

Posted: August 28th, 2007 under Main Page.

I somewhat agree except for the OL, which i think really stinks. Anyway, I think it is partly that Mangini is running vanilla schemes and partly that the Jets team isnt all that talented to begin with. Again, it goes back to what Butle said in game 1... "The Jets will be one of those teams that underwhelms their opponents, lulls them to sleep, and then takes advantage of opportunities to win games." And when I thought about it he's right. Lets be honest guys, we are not one of those teams that can dominate a league or overwhelm opponents with talent. We have good coaches, smart, hardworking players that knows what it takes to win and/or be succesful in this league and thats how we're going to be able to win games IMO.

I agree that we'll look ALOT better with all the schemes finally being used. But does anyone actually believe that Vilma has been lying low, only to surprise the Patriots with his run stuffing skills? Or that our lines are only pretending to be overpowered?

I know the Jets are going to be much better when they're not running vanilla schemes. But smoke and mirrors can only do so much. I'm worried about what will happen when we play physical teams that can beat up on us like Jacksonville and Chicago did last year.

Same thing as last time.

Did they beef up the OL and DL to change that?

Archived