Any Golfers out there?

Smizzy

Shot my 1st 18 today...72 on the front 9 and a 73 on the back 9.

Not too bad...I only lost 2 balls all day(water).

Never realized how much fun it is.

145...is that horrible?

Hey Smizzy- 145 stinks but i can not talk- I am actually taking a couple of golf lessons to try to play.

145 for the first time sounds good to me.

Welcome to the sh*tty golfer club. I played in my father in law's tournament after not touching a club for two years and I shot the worst score in the entire tournament (133). Still had a damn blast though. That's the great thing about being a lousy golfer. Every once in awhile you hit one of those WTF? shots and you feel like a million bucks. You start getting decent and I think all the fun will disappear because you'll start taking it too seriously.

145 is brutal dude, but losing only 2 balls is good. Whenever we used to have a golf outing at my company, we would give the "Most Honest Golfer" award to the person with the highest score. As long as you are having fun, who cares (except the foursome behind you).

Took golf lessons last year, but living in NYC, I haven't had much opportunity to get on a course.

Went to Chelsea Piers last night to the driving range. Hit really well. I've been going a couple of time a week, so I'm definitely improving. But the wait time is ridiculous.

Last week, the wait time was two hours. I went to the bar...and, needless to say, never made it.

I lost my swing this year. It's popped up from time to time, but for the most part it's gone. Don't know where it goes. I feel like a major league pitcher who's mechanics have gone to sh*t. I'm the Keith Foulke of the Leo J. Martin Course.....so sad, really. Few weeks back, I went on my own, determined to figure out what the heck is going on. Ended up with a foursome - Betty, Dottie and I think Ethel. I'm not kidding. I only scored better than Dottie. So, when three women in their late fifities to mid sixties beat me - THERE'S A PROBLEM!

So, I've been visting the driving range. Trying to work through it. I'm going to arrange for a private lesson. Can't hurt.

Not that I am a good golfer anyway. Even with my "swing intact" I actually suck. Now, I suck wind. There's a difference :wink: :lol:

anybody who wants to feel good about their game... come golfing with me! :lol: i am beyond pathetic.. I couldn't make par on a mini- golf course... on a regular one...forget it. To my credit...i do hit the ball straight! I cant put worth sh*t!. But here is the thing...i have fun! ;) Aint that what counts?

Shot my 1st 18 today...72 on the front 9 and a 73 on the back 9.

Not too bad...I only lost 2 balls all day(water).

Never realized how much fun it is.

145...is that horrible?

Yeah it's pretty bad but if you had one good shot the entire day you want to come back. :D

I go on vacation down to Myrtle Beach (Family has a beach condo) every year. The golf down there is great and you can drink on the course !!!! :lol:

For some reason this year though I just started really getting into again. I picked up a nice set of woods at a clearance sale and started taking lessons to get rid of my slice. The slice is still there but not as bad as it was before but that is what makes you keep coming back. I want to get better and I am really starting to enjoy the game.

For beginners breaking 100 is a nice goal. (That is what I'm shooting for this year). Best I have done so far is 108 but I'm having alot of fun though and it's a nice couple of peaceful hours away from the chaos at work and screaming kids.

Enjoy it.

145 is savage, bro. But it was your first round ever so we'll let you take a mulligan on that score. Biggest mistake I see first timers make is trying to hit the ball too hard.

My first round this year will be on Saturday for the Hardigg Open at East Mountain in Westfield, MA. The bag will be full of cold ones and plenty of ale goes with that tourney! :P

Took golf lessons last year, but living in NYC, I haven't had much opportunity to get on a course.

Went to Chelsea Piers last night to the driving range. Hit really well. I've been going a couple of time a week, so I'm definitely improving. But the wait time is ridiculous.

Last week, the wait time was two hours. I went to the bar...and, needless to say, never made it.

bring your clubs to Fla Cathy, I'll take you to a nice fairly in-expensive course before the game

Smizzy, if I had one piece of advice to you it would be learn how to putt first, it can save you a ton of strokes

Hey 13,

I'm playing TPC Heron Bay in Coral Springs next Monday (business trip :wink:). Do you have any idea what this course is like?

hell yes, used to work the tournament...hope your sand game is good cause there are 117 sand traps on the course...its more of a target gold course because of all the traps, but it is nice to play...the greens are usually perfect but with all this rain who knows...I live 10 mins from there, need a 4th????

Smiz - you are in Middetown, or that area right? There is a course in Montgomery called Scotts Corners. It is a nine hole course and great for beginners - flat and wide open. I used to play there all the time. The guy who owns it is the Father of Vinny from Orange County Choppers. Take a lesson, learn how to putt and that 145 will drop to 144 in no time. 8)

hell yes, used to work the tournament...hope your sand game is good cause there are 117 sand traps on the course...its more of a target gold course because of all the traps, but it is nice to play...the greens are usually perfect but with all this rain who knows...I live 10 mins from there, need a 4th????

We are flying in on Monday morning and have a 2 p.m. tee time (visiting the clients on Tuesday in Ft. Lauderdale) I am bringing one of the guys in my department with me so we are just a twosome. You are welcome to join us and if you have a friend you want to bring, we can go out as a foursome. I have no idea what the greens fees are but you would probably know better than I would and most likely will get a resident discount. We are actually playing for free because we are staying at the Marriott on the course and they threw in a free round per night. We were originally booked at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort but jumped all over this deal when it turned up (prudently saving the company money in the process :D ). If you are interested, PM me and we can hook it up.

Good for you Smizz! No reason we be the only ones who suffer with this affliction. Really, it's a great game and real addicting. You'll be supprised how you can hack through 18 at 100+ and one stinking shot that went exactly how you wanted it to will have you calling for another tee time before you get home.

I seriously recommend getting a few lessons from a teaching pro before you develop a lot of bad habits. Also, there are some real good books that you can pick up and go to the driving range with. My personal Yoda is a guy named Dave Pelz. He has a few books out, but the must buy is The Short Game Bible. Pelz was a Physics major at IU and also there on a golf scholarship. He teaches you the physics of the game and what is really happening when you swing, so you understand where and why you need to line up where you do to hit all the different clubs/shots. Also check out The Golf Channel if you have it on your cable network - Pelz and a bunch of others are regularly giving good advice on it.

We are flying in on Monday morning and have a 2 p.m. tee time (visiting the clients on Tuesday in Ft. Lauderdale) I am bringing one of the guys in my department with me so we are just a twosome. You are welcome to join us and if you have a friend you want to bring, we can go out as a foursome. I have no idea what the greens fees are but you would probably know better than I would and most likely will get a resident discount. We are actually playing for free because we are staying at the Marriott on the course and they threw in a free round per night. We were originally booked at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort but jumped all over this deal when it turned up (prudently saving the company money in the process :D ). If you are interested, PM me and we can hook it up.

Drive down to Miami and play Doral! It's not that long a ride.

145 :shock: ...I don't even remember those days, my advice take lessons before you develop bad habits, you'll take 45 shots off your score in no time. :mrgreen:

Drive down to Miami and play Doral! It's not that long a ride.

145 :shock: ...I don't even remember those days, my advice take lessons before you develop bad habits, you'll take 45 shots off your score in no time. :mrgreen:

use to be a member there, its a bit of a drive from the Boca/Springs area but it is a great set-up there

Smizzy, if I had one piece of advice to you it would be learn how to putt first, it can save you a ton of strokes

LOL....i 3 & 4 putted every hole. I actuallyu hit the ball well and straight but it was my short game the murdered me.

Il gonna go practice on my putting later this week.

Hey i had a blast on that course and i beat the 3 others i played with..so i had fun and will go back for sure.

I've finally been able to get out a couple of times a week lately. What a huge difference that can make in just one month.

I've sheared more than 20 strokes off my score since March.

The best thing is the summer twilight rates here in

Florida. After 2 o'clock, most courses only charge around $20.

I've finally been able to get out a couple of times a week lately. What a huge difference that can make in just one month.

I've sheared more than 20 strokes off my score since March.

The best thing is the summer twilight rates here in

Florida. After 2 o'clock, most courses only charge around $20.

yea but we pay up the a** in the winter don't we?

I belong to a league every Wed night..we play a differnt course every week at Palm Aire, there are 4 courses...we tee off at 4 and are done by 7:30...$15 for nine holes, we turn in our score card and play the back nine...won quite a bit of $$$ lately but it will all turn around one day Im surwe

anybody who wants to feel good about their game... come golfing with me! :lol: i am beyond pathetic.. I couldn't make par on a mini- golf course... on a regular one...forget it. To my credit...i do hit the ball straight! I cant put worth sh*t!. But here is the thing...i have fun! ;) Aint that what counts?

Greengal, we should play together. I MIGHT beat you. Oh wait, forgot. You're supposed to get the LOWEST score possible. Nevermind, you'll beat me. :lol:

• 1 month later...
2nd outing today....talk about shaving some strokes....today i shot a 95.

Not bad huh? shaved 50 strokes off my game.

Cool, so they let you keep your own score this time? That's a sure way to shave strokes off of your game.

Nah...i didn't keep score today...But i did have 2 birdies and 2 pars...of course i shot a 10 :shock:

You're doing better than I am. I have never even shot a par. I'm just downright atrocious. it seems that nine times out of ten it's my chipping that kills me. I just can't swing a club and actually hit the ball unless I'm swinging damn near as hard as I can. My putting is actually okay, nothing spectacular but it's not a liability like my chipping is.

2nd outing today....talk about shaving some strokes....today i shot a 95.

Not bad huh? shaved 50 strokes off my game.

congratulations...thats impressive...but don't shave to many too soon, cause then theres only one way left to go, know what I mean? 8)

Archived