Top Free Agents: Defense

R44

Folks, I've been working on the list of about 135 upcoming free agents for DD.com.....It's not ready to post (have to do some edits -- i.e Tim Anderson/DT/links is screwed up), but I thought I'd share it with everyone here, to get some free agent talk going and, perhaps, to get some feedback on the rankings:

http://www.draftdaddy.com/MD/fitz_Mock.cfm

P.S: Some players --l ike Samuel and Sanders -- will likely be free agents -- will excercise their right to leave (players option)....Will do the offense soon.

Folks, I've been working on the list of about 135 upcoming free agents for DD.com.....It's not ready to post (have to do some edits -- i.e Tim Anderson/DT/links is screwed up), but I thought I'd share it with everyone here, to get some free agent talk going and, perhaps, to get some feedback on the rankings:

P.S: Some players --l ike Samuel and Sanders -- will likely be free agents -- will excercise their right to leave (players option)....Will do the offense soon.

Jared Allen would be an awesome pick-up. Is he UFA or RFA? The guy can rush the QB, is only 25, and it would be a great way to stick it to Herm by taking one of his best defensive players.

Oh but wait, Mangini wants to play the 3-4.

Jared Allen would be an awesome pick-up. Is he UFA or RFA? The guy can rush the QB, is only 25, and it would be a great way to stick it to Herm by taking one of his best defensive players.

Oh but wait, Mangini wants to play the 3-4.

This has ALWAYS been a sticking point with me. Don't most good coaches go with the scheme that best fits the talent on the roster? I know Parcells did that and he seemed to have some amount of success doing so. Why is he (Mangini) so frilling stubborn with this 3/4 crap? Just askin...

Just very quickly looking over the list of DT's showed that there are a lot of big non producers on it. Tim Anderson, William Joseph , and a rather lite at 285 Kindal Moorehead who NEVER impressed me at Bama. I was however intrigued by the Browns Ethan Kelly. At 6'2" 338 he might fit the bill for us at NT. He seems to be getting a little better each year. Anyone know anything about him?

This has ALWAYS been a sticking point with me. Don't most good coaches go with the scheme that best fits the talent on the roster? I know Parcells did that and he seemed to have some amount of success doing so. Why is he (Mangini) so frilling stubborn with this 3/4 crap? Just askin...

Be fair. It's a big sticking point for me too, but Jared Allen is not on the roster. I'm also not so sure that I would use Parcells as an example of flexibility. That tubby bastard couldn't dump Hugh Douglas fast enough and then spent the rest of his time complaining that the Jets didn't have anybody that could rush the passer. Duh. He also seemed to drag the same FA's from post to post.

Be fair. It's a big sticking point for me too, but Jared Allen is not on the roster. I'm also not so sure that I would use Parcells as an example of flexibility. That tubby bastard couldn't dump Hugh Douglas fast enough and then spent the rest of his time complaining that the Jets didn't have anybody that could rush the passer. Duh. He also seemed to drag the same FA's from post to post.

As you may know the only reason he dragged the same FA's from post to post was the fact that they were "Parcell favorites". :biggrin:

Just very quickly looking over the list of DT's showed that there are a lot of big non producers on it. Tim Anderson, William Joseph , and a rather lite at 285 Kindal Moorehead who NEVER impressed me at Bama. I was however intrigued by the Browns Ethan Kelly. At 6'2" 338 he might fit the bill for us at NT. He seems to be getting a little better each year. Anyone know anything about him?

I think there's a good chance that - if he's worth having at all - Cleveland locks him up. Either that or they'll be in the same situation we're in right now. I think going with Ted Washington at age 40 is an example of poor future planning. But damn that guy stayed in the game a long time, particularly for someone carrying around so much weight.

That's a great point. Why the F*** can't he switch already.

It's hard for a coach to change what he knows works. I had the same problem when i started coaching, i had a scheme i liked, but never took a step back to see the kids just weren't old enough/good enough to run it. It took me 1 and a half seasons, a pretty long time as the losses built up.

In this case, Mangini isn't going to switch his system, but if he does run across a jared allen type, i'm sure he take him, call him and OLB but have him in a 3 point stance in almost every play. JMO.

note these are not the best ranked players on the list but they could be the best players for the Jets.

* = second/third choice

DE: Justin Smith - basically Chris Long plus 6 years.

*Antwan Odom - young pass rusher.

*John Engelberger - useful player.

DT: Ethan Kelly - emerging DL getting better every week. 7 tackles last week vs PIT.

*Isaac Sopoaga - young and interesting NT but that defense is terrible.

*Jay Ratliff RFA - starting for Fergie.

LB: Karlos Dansby - would provide pressure.

*Niko Koutouvides - ST warrior who Matt Hasselbeck credited with a stirring halftime speech last week.

*Brad Stamper - BUffalo juice monkey likes to hit.

DB: Nnamdi Asomugha - flat out stud.

*Madieu Williams - sure tackler can play any DB spot.

*Randall Gay - good young #2 CB if healthy.

It's hard for a coach to change what he knows works. I had the same problem when i started coaching, i had a scheme i liked, but never took a step back to see the kids just weren't old enough/good enough to run it. It took me 1 and a half seasons, a pretty long time as the losses built up.

In this case, Mangini isn't going to switch his system, but if he does run across a jared allen type, i'm sure he take him, call him and OLB but have him in a 3 point stance in almost every play. JMO.

Thanks for all the replies....I'll try to post the "offensive" free agents as soon as I finish up the lineman (weak crop)...

Quick Points:

**Jared Allen is a unrestricted free agent, but it's likely Kansas City will do all they can to retain him.......He's from Northern Cal, so word is he'd like to play for the 49ers or Raiders, which is the same exact story as Lance Briggs (from No.Cal and wants to leave, but can't)....

**According to some N.F.L. insiders the #2 DT on that list -- Corey Williams -- is better than Haynesworth.....Packers will do everything to keep Williams...but maybe Ryan Pickett will be a cap cut or traded (and be available) if Williams signs and their #1 pick from Tennessee keeps improving?

**Don't gloss over the name Matt Giordiano....back in 2005 I was the only person on the Net (true story, I did a google search at the time to confirm this) to rank him as a draftable N.F.L. prospect (Draftscout added him to the 250 list a week before the draft)...I even asked a "national draft writer" about him and he told me something like this "don't worry about him, no one cares about him in the N.F.L."!!!!

Anyway, fearing I'd looked bad back then, I tried to delete his name from past blogs, but realized I couldn't do it, based on my limited site editing knowledge back then, and I didn't want to ask Bitonti to bother erasing his name from the site....

As it turned out, I was right (he was picked in rd 4)...He's the Colts 3rd safety and widely regarded as the Colts' fastest player (a hair faster than Sanders)........he could be a decent pick up, if a team is willing to forfiet a 4th round pick to sign him, because he's a RFA.

note these are not the best ranked players on the list but they could be the best players for the Jets.

* = second/third choice

DE: Justin Smith - basically Chris Long plus 6 years.

*Antwan Odom - young pass rusher.

*John Engelberger - useful player.

DT: Ethan Kelly - emerging DL getting better every week. 7 tackles last week vs PIT.

*Isaac Sopoaga - young and interesting NT but that defense is terrible.

*Jay Ratliff RFA - starting for Fergie.

LB: Karlos Dansby - would provide pressure.

*Niko Koutouvides - ST warrior who Matt Hasselbeck credited with a stirring halftime speech last week.

*Brad Stamper - BUffalo juice monkey likes to hit.

DB: Nnamdi Asomugha - flat out stud.

*Madieu Williams - sure tackler can play any DB spot.

*Randall Gay - good young #2 CB if healthy.

This is lame but still...i fell in love with Nnamdi in madden, over 6 foot, strong, and fast. One of the best corners in that game (him as a rookie). I started researching him a bit, where he was from and what not. Turns out he has always been a stud return man, and almost too strong to play CB, should have been a safety. I just couldn't believe the Raiders would let him rot on their bench.

When they finally let go of Woodson, he got some PT. As you said, he's been a flat out stud ever since. He would look good next to Revis. Two solid corners who can tackle like safeties.

Assuming we attain any kind of pass rush this guy would be a no brainer (for many teams, really).

That's a great point. Why the F*** can't he switch already.

I think most of us are in agreement that the defense could easily be turned around if the Jets signed a Jared Allen or Justin Smith and went back to a 4-3 with Coleman and Robertson as the DT's (maybe we draft Dorsey or Okam and throw them into the mix) and the LB's with Hobson and David Harris as the OLB's and Vilma as the MLB.

But hey, Mangini is a genius. Doesn't matter we continue giving 200 yards a game rushing and not even come close to touching the QB.

I think most of us are in agreement that the defense could easily be turned around if the Jets signed a Jared Allen or Justin Smith and went back to a 4-3 with Coleman and Robertson as the DT's (maybe we draft Dorsey or Okam and throw them into the mix) and the LB's with Hobson and David Harris as the OLB's and Vilma as the MLB.

But hey, Mangini is a genius. Doesn't matter we continue giving 200 yards a game rushing and not even come close to touching the QB.

Turned around? With that team? One crappy OLB and a young ILB moved outside. One DT everyone has been proclaiming a bust and a DE playing out of position. I don't see that being "easily turned around". That front seven blows and if it doesn't it's only if the new players (Allen/Smith and Dorsey/Okam) are good. They may suck, but it isn't going to be fixed by a simple swap back to a 4-3 that wasn't that hot even with Abraham.

Chris Canty (RFA)

Tommy Kelly

Albert Haynsworth

Terrell Suggs

Nnamdi Asomugha

Marcus Trufant

Drayton Florence

Ken Hamlin

Bob Sanders

These are the names that stand out to me the most.

I think Haynsworth might not be a "true NT" but he'd command double teams and be a huge upgrade over DRob, who could move over to LDE (altho i dont love that idea). Tommy Kelly is a better version of Kenyon Coleman, easily. Suggs is a solid pass rusher. Asomugha is a damn good corner and Sanders is a playmaking safety.

3-4 Dline

1st and 2nd down: Drob - Haynsworth - Kelly

3rd down pass rush: Ellis - Haynsworth - Kelly/Coleman

Who knows, but there is some 3-4 talent out there this offseason assuming they actually make it to free agency and arent resigned before that.

Haynesworth amy not be a true 3-4 NT in terms od size. But he plays bigger than that, he is a true gap eater and IMO he could make the adjustment. Teams just wouldn't dar leav him 1 on 1 with any OL. It just wouldn't end well.

I like that idea of a line Barton, especially bringing in Ellis on 3rd down. Personally i think we should leave Coleman but I've been calling for D-Rob at end for quite a while. IMO he could excell there. The real problem is could anyone see Eric 'good guys only' Mangini signing Albert Haynesworth, cause I sure as hell can't!!!

i'm not a big fan of haynesworth because i think part of his motivation comes from the fact that he is in the middle of a contract year while putting up career numbers.

IMO take ethan kelley because while he has far less playing time and has been consistant over the years, including this one. also it doesnt hurt he actually fits the mold for a 34 nt, which haynesworth does not.

i'm not a big fan of haynesworth because i think part of his motivation comes from the fact that he is in the middle of a contract year while putting up career numbers.

IMO take ethan kelley because while he has far less playing time and has been consistant over the years, including this one. also it doesnt hurt he actually fits the mold for a 34 nt, which haynesworth does not.

Anyone who has seen Haynesworth play before this season would know that is pure BS.

Ever consider that he's putting up career numbers because he's hitting his prime?

I know he he doesn't exactly have the greatest history in terms of good charachter but to reason his good season with it being his contract year is very very harsh on the guy.

Chris Canty (RFA)

Tommy Kelly

Albert Haynsworth

Terrell Suggs

Nnamdi Asomugha

Marcus Trufant

Drayton Florence

Ken Hamlin

Bob Sanders

These are the names that stand out to me the most.

I think Haynsworth might not be a "true NT" but he'd command double teams and be a huge upgrade over DRob, who could move over to LDE (altho i dont love that idea). Tommy Kelly is a better version of Kenyon Coleman, easily. Suggs is a solid pass rusher. Asomugha is a damn good corner and Sanders is a playmaking safety.

3-4 Dline

1st and 2nd down: Drob - Haynsworth - Kelly

3rd down pass rush: Ellis - Haynsworth - Kelly/Coleman

Who knows, but there is some 3-4 talent out there this offseason assuming they actually make it to free agency and arent resigned before that.

dRob's knees only seem to be getting worse - i dont see him become better as a DE

Me neither, I was just throwing it out there. If we cant trade Drob in the offseason, I think it might be an option to have him at DE in 2008.

If there are some shady GMs out there, maybe they can trade DROb.. But for what he's paid, I just don't see teams jumping at the chance to trade for him...

And you're right, at this point, maybe we should try something different.... This defense is worse this season than last and last season they were bad.

Anyone who has seen Haynesworth play before this season would know that is pure BS.

Ever consider that he's putting up career numbers because he's hitting his prime?

I know he he doesn't exactly have the greatest history in terms of good charachter but to reason his good season with it being his contract year is very very harsh on the guy.

I see a lot of Titans games. Probably more than you.

I have absolutely no doubt that Haynesworth is in the midst of a huge "contract" year. He was always good, but he was also lazy. This year, he's no longer lazy.

After he gets $60 million in his pocket, I reckon the laziness will return.

I see a lot of Titans games. Probably more than you.

I have absolutely no doubt that Haynesworth is in the midst of a huge "contract" year. He was always good, but he was also lazy. This year, he's no longer lazy.

After he gets $60 million in his pocket, I reckon the laziness will return.

What is he now? 26?

Is it not reasonable enough to belive that maybe he's becoming a better player?

What is he now? 26?

Is it not reasonable enough to belive that maybe he's becoming a better player?

let's get real here

Haynesworth is a talent, lazy yes but still very talented

Does anyone really see this guy making it thru one of EM's Camps?

Don't think so, we will not get any top tier FA's?

let's get real here

Haynesworth is a talent, lazy yes but still very talented

Does anyone really see this guy making it thru one of EM's Camps?

Don't think so, we will not get any top tier FA's?

What is the point of one of Mangini's camps at this point? They are 1-7 and could wind up 1-15. Hard preseasons only make sense if there is a ROI....

A 1-15 or 3-13 season means you need to look back at the ROI for your training camp.. At this point, the training camp "Mangini" style would be cut in the real world. If they finish 1-15, who in their right mind would have any desire to go through a tough camp for a coach and team that produces no results for the hard effort.

They would be expensive but Suggs and Dansby have to be top priority if for some reason their teams do something stupid like let them walk. They're both young beasts that fit the 3-4 pass rushing position well.

I'm also of the opinion that we try to get Haynesworth. He's an obvious upgrade over D-Rob and he should be able to fill the duties of a NT effectively, though I'm unsure if he'll excel in that role.

Asomugha or Samuel would also be very nice signings but I wouldn't break the bank for them. I'd only give a monster contract to one of the pass rushers.

Archived