Why doesn't Kellen play like Chad?

K2C

I don't mean in his performance. I am somewhat happy with the way he has been playing.

What I'm referring to is the way Chad handled the pre-snap.

Kellen can't audible? He can't run a no-huddle?

I've seen him do it..but not as frequent as Chad. Anyone have a good reason why?

I don't mean in his performance. I am somewhat happy with the way he has been playing.

What I'm referring to is the way Chad handled the pre-snap.

Kellen can't audible? He can't run a no-huddle?

I've seen him do it..but not as frequent as Chad. Anyone have a good reason why?

of the no-huddle means 1-6 then the jets should just abandon it alltogether. 1-6 - that was the jets record with chadwick at the helm and HIS mistakes directly led to a few of those losses.

maybe a huddle, play call, and time to compose yourself work better than trying to do everything on the fly.

Yeah, it would be really awesome if Kellen threw dumpoffs 90+% of the time and started throwing crucial 4th quarter pick six's. I really hope one day he can grow up to be just like Chad. :character42:

Okay, seriously now, Kellen is young. This is only his 6th NFL start coming up. It is going to take time to learn an offense (I know its been a year and a half) and then be productive enough on the field to have the coordinator trust you enough to let you go out and change play calls. His ass is on the line as well, not just yours.

The offense we run was built for Chad. All the shifts and smoke and mirrors were all designed to cater to his strengths. I will be very disappointed if we run the same " 40 seconds of motion followed by a 6 yard out" offense next year.

You call those strengths? I'd hate to see what weaknesses would like.

Yeah, it would be really awesome if Kellen threw dumpoffs 90+% of the time and started throwing crucial 4th quarter pick six's. I really hope one day he can grow up to be just like Chad. :character42:

Okay, seriously now, Kellen is young. This is only his 6th NFL start coming up. It is going to take time to learn an offense (I know its been a year and a half) and then be productive enough on the field to have the coordinator trust you enough to let you go out and change play calls. His ass is on the line as well, not just yours.

LOL.

A simple question has turned in to Chad vs. Kellen Part 93.

I was just curious to know why Kellen doesn't run the same offense Chad did.

LOL.

Just a guess JMan but he may have limits placed on him by the coaching staff do to his inexperience. As he gets more comfortable maybe they'll let him loosen it up.

I must confess I've wondered sometimes about our OC.

The yahoo fantasy people are mocking our coaches again. They are saying "maybe they will let Leon play again this week, so he might be worth a pickup." To me that is pretty obviously implicating he should have been getting more playing time all year, and that he is being limited stupidly by the dumb coaches. The Yahoo fantasy people apparently think leon is actually not a scrub, and can make things happen when he's given the ball. Funny huh?

Schottgini are incompetent.

The yahoo fantasy people are mocking our coaches again. They are saying "maybe they will let Leon play again this week, so he might be worth a pickup." To me that is pretty obviously implicating he should have been getting more playing time all year, and that he is being limited stupidly by the dumb coaches. The Yahoo fantasy people apparently think leon is actually not a scrub, and can make things happen when he's given the ball. Funny huh?

I know after last year young Schotty was a hot prospect as a HC candidate remember? I bet ya $20 he's not mentioned at all this off season. ;)

I know after last year young Schotty was a hot prospect as a HC candidate remember? I bet ya $20 he's not mentioned at all this off season. ;)

Only the Dolphins wanted him, and they don't make good coaching decisions at all. Only the Dolphins are stupid enough to think the OC of the 25th ranked offense or whatever we were last season is a "hot" commodity. Only the Dolphins and delusional homer Jets fans. But at least the Jets fans have an excuse, there's that Endowment Effect. The Dolphags are just plain dumb.

Only the Dolphins wanted him, and they don't make good coaching decisions at all. Only the Dolphins are stupid enough to think the OC of the 25th ranked offense or whatever we were last season is a "hot" commodity. Only the Dolphins and delusional homer Jets fans. But at least the Jets fans have an excuse, there's that Endowment Effect. The Dolphags are just plain dumb.

lemme get this straight. i'm a jethomer cause i'm not ready to fire our oc or hc? I'm of the opinion they are still puttin the pcs together to build a solid team for the future.

mangold, d'brick,brad & leon were a good start offensively 2 yrs ago. rhodes,dyson

revis & harris were a very good attempt at improving our d this year. jones was a good pickup

our team given to these guys was in bad shape. I see good things for the future & realize it can't be solved in 1 or 2 seasons

lemme get this straight. i'm a jethomer cause i'm not ready to fire our oc or hc? I'm of the opinion they are still puttin the pcs together to build a solid team for the future.

mangold, d'brick,brad & leon were a good start offensively 2 yrs ago. rhodes,dyson

revis & harris were a very good attempt at improving our d this year. jones was a good pickup

our team given to these guys was in bad shape. I see good things for the future & realize it can't be solved in 1 or 2 seasons

We're all "homers" to an extent...depends on whether the topic is something we agree on. If not, the poster ususally gets bashed...that's how it works...;)

I guess 2nd quarter pick 6's don't count???:yawn:

Oh wow. He threw one. How many 4th quarter interceptions has he thrown when the game was on the line? Zero. Those two against Buffalo with 2 minutes left down 10 after being forced onto the field are not "game on the line" situations.

That no-huddle was a waste with Shotty's play calling. The whole idea is to make it difficult for the defense to make substitutions. But that is no big deal with the predictability of the Jets plays. Even these so called tricks plays with Brad Smith, which I happen to like, don't require the defense to make any adjustments other than play their areas and not over pursue.

Shotty, here are a couple of wild ideas to think about. You can throw the ball on first down sometimes. Even when the score is tied, or GOD forbid, you have the lead. It is so much easier than passing on 3rd and 10. And it keeps the defense from stacking up against the run on first downs. Try it. It's not a new concept either. Unitas was doing it in the 50s. And those dump offs to a back. You know when they would be good? Instead of as a planned play that the defense reads as soon as the ball is snapped, use it as a safety value when those unblocked blitzers come flying in on Clemens. It is hard to block everybody when the defense sends 6 or 7 guys. Nothing stops that sh#t better than Leon Washington taking the ball for a long ride while defenders are laying on top of the QB. Here's another one. A real trick play. On one of those reverses to Brad Smith, give him the option to actually throw the ball. He did used to be a QB, you know?

Kellen has been better with fourth quarter drives this year. He has 2 wins and Penne only could muster one. His poise in the clutch has been impressive. His long balls are also beautiful and the decision making is sound.

Sure he have a few more pics and turnovers, but the majority, looking at this whole season, including the baltimore game, are due to receivers just dropping or tipping balls because they are not used to a lot of velocity.

that's my opinion on this. Kellen's a terrific QB.

well if they think so in the fantasy football forum, it has to be true. :rolleyes:

i want leon to get touches too, but from, ya know...watching the game.

Kellen has been better with fourth quarter drives this year. He has 2 wins and Penne only could muster one. His poise in the clutch has been impressive. His long balls are also beautiful and the decision making is sound.

Sure he have a few more pics and turnovers, but the majority, looking at this whole season, including the baltimore game, are due to receivers just dropping or tipping balls because they are not used to a lot of velocity.

that's my opinion on this. Kellen's a terrific QB.

good post. The Joey Porter pick was just dumb. Any average to above average receiver would have extended his arms to grab the pass. Yet Brad Smith waited for it to come to him and watched it get punched out of his hands.

The sooner we get rid of this loser, the sooner KC will really start gaining confidence. Anyone else like the way Davis and Wright played last week? No drops, ran hard, did exactly what was asked. The only play Smith made was when he was one on one with a defensive end.

In his starts this year I've seen Clemens make throws that we haven';t seen Chad be able to make since the San Diego playoff game-I mentioned that to Nightstalker as we were watching Sunday's game-I like what I'm seeing from the kid and have hope for the future now. As it was said already we know or KNEW what to expect from Chad and it wasn't looking very pretty anymore. maybe next year when he's starting for Herm in his make or break last season in KC he'll get back to what he was able to do pre-2005-I highly doubt it though

That no-huddle was a waste with Shotty's play calling. The whole idea is to make it difficult for the defense to make substitutions. But that is no big deal with the predictability of the Jets plays. Even these so called tricks plays with Brad Smith, which I happen to like, don't require the defense to make any adjustments other than play their areas and not over pursue.

Shotty, here are a couple of wild ideas to think about. You can throw the ball on first down sometimes. Even when the score is tied, or GOD forbid, you have the lead. It is so much easier than passing on 3rd and 10. And it keeps the defense from stacking up against the run on first downs. Try it. It's not a new concept either. Unitas was doing it in the 50s. And those dump offs to a back. You know when they would be good? Instead of as a planned play that the defense reads as soon as the ball is snapped, use it as a safety value when those unblocked blitzers come flying in on Clemens. It is hard to block everybody when the defense sends 6 or 7 guys. Nothing stops that sh#t better than Leon Washington taking the ball for a long ride while defenders are laying on top of the QB. Here's another one. A real trick play. On one of those reverses to Brad Smith, give him the option to actually throw the ball. He did used to be a QB, you know?

DM makes some good points here-it really DIDN'T matter whether Chad used the no huddle or not the defense still only had to defend 10 yards down the field anyway-I saw a clip the other night on Jets Extra Point where Clemens was doing some yelling at the O-line who were sitting on the bench-it seemed like he was trying to light a fire under their asses-hey the platooning at LG is working-I saw Clarke make some good blocks and was really impressed on one play where Montgomery slid across the line and laid a great block in protection

good post. The Joey Porter pick was just dumb. Any average to above average receiver would have extended his arms to grab the pass. Yet Brad Smith waited for it to come to him and watched it get punched out of his hands.

The sooner we get rid of this loser, the sooner KC will really start gaining confidence. Anyone else like the way Davis and Wright played last week? No drops, ran hard, did exactly what was asked. The only play Smith made was when he was one on one with a defensive end.

I am disappointed that Smith has not made progress as a WR. He has all of the tools. He has size, good speed, great running ability and actually has nice soft hands. But he is unwilling to extend himself, does not know how to fight for the ball, use his body to box out defenders, finish routes, adjust to poorly thrown balls, etc. All of the intangibles. Given that he never played the position before, it is understandable to a degree. The problem is he does not seem to be making any progress.

However, I would not get rid of him. He is a great special teams player and his versatility on offense (running ability, situation QB) makes him valuable if you have at least three good WRs ahead of him. And who knows. He is young. It may all click at some point and he will develop into a very good receiver. But at this point, I doubt it.

LOL.

he is running same offense,,only difference is Kellen isnt checking off schott plays that required a strong arm to complete,,hence all chads 'check off' dump off passes

Here's what i think, Chad's greatest strength IMO was manging the offence on the field and being the leader in the huddle. There are very few QB's who can run the no-huddle as consistently and as effectively as Chad did. That being said Kellen is very young and still has time to learn these things. Chad is a veteran in this league and his experience contributed greatly to his game management.

Kellen has qualities of his own at the moment which by far and away are better than Penny (Arm strength, Mobility) but the things such as pocket presence, leadership and overall management of the game are things that I'm confident Kellen will get better at as he gets more experience.

He has played and hopefully learned under Chad for a while so hopefully these qualities could come sooner rather than later. Kellen possesses all the skills physically that we Jets fans wished Penny had for the last couple of years, hopefully Kellen has picked Chads brain enough so that he can become the Franchise QB we have wanted for so long.

Clemens has way better pocket presence and awareness than Chad ever did already. As for leadership, he's led the team on game tying and winning drives already, that goes a long way.

Your kidding right????

Did you watch that Dolphins game???

Clemens awareness in the pocket left a lot to be desired, considering how more mobile he is than Chad there is no reason for him getting sacked at a higher rate than him. Clemens holds on to the ball too long IMO, but like I said thats a common mistake for a young QB which I'm sure he will improve in time.

A year and a half of practice. this is the real thing. you cannot afford the mistakes you might make. In practice you get yelled at. On Sunday, you lose. I think they are just keeping it manageable for the guy

Archived