It May be Time to Disown the Jets - by The Gun of Bavaria

Bob

I've decided to be GOB's public relations man. Here's his latest.

It May Be Time To Disown The Jets

After 28 years of supporting one of the most pathetic, inept, worthless and poorly run franchises in the history of modern football, it may be time to cut my losses and move on. I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where it's Packers country and all my friends were Packers fans. Hell even I have always been a Packers fan to an extent. I'm beginning to think I may have missed the boat as a child. It's clearly evident that since the age of 5 when I knew what football was and got my first NY Jets jacket, the NY Jets have no inclination as to how to operate, manage, or execute as a professional football franchise. They have no desire to win, no desire to maintain and no desire to do anything besides collect the hard earned dollars of their fans while continuing to place a substandard product on the field. Losing has become the culture of the NY Jets organization, it is woven into the very fabric that constitutes the NY Jets on all levels: players, coaches, front office, administration and ownership. This culture of under achievement and losing has become so entrenched in this franchise, that a mere winning season, wild card berth or as I can easily refer to it, a 'twice in a lifetime" division championship is accepted as a success story by the fans, players, coaches and ownership. The NY Jets are not interested in winning Super Bowl titles, they don't have to be, because they continue to collect millions of dollars in ticket sales and ad revenue while selling themselves as a successful modern day football franchise with great success. The fact of the matter is that while one man may set his goals low and boast every year about achieving them, in the end, the fact of the matter is that the same goal is unacceptable to that man's contemporaries. They don't need to set high goals because in the end, high goals aren't needed. The Jets know that they can go out there every year, **** the bed, do just enough to look somewhat competitive in the off season, and then sit back come opening kickoff and collect their fat checks and concession receipts. In the end, Super Bowl III means nothing. It was one game in 1969 and the fact of the matter is, the NY Jets haven't done a single thing since then. 2 disastrous conference championship game losses, a massive 2, count them 2, division titles, and a handful of wild card berths that have resulted in complete and unequivocal playoff embarrassment. The only thing more comical than their performance history, is their ineptness in the areas of player management and coaching through a history of disastrous personnel decisions and coaching embarrassments.

I'm on my last leg with this franchise. I've spent my last nickel on tickets, travel, merchandise or anything else related to gangrene until they take their own franchise and its operation as serious as I take being a fan of it.

GOB should know, once you are in you are in for life, there's no bailing and certainly no coming back when things change for the better. The only way you can stop being a Jets fan is when they start shoveling dirt on top of you. That's just the way it is.

GOB should know, once you are in you are in for life, there's no bailing and certainly no coming back when things change for the better. The only way you can stop being a Jets fan is when they start shoveling dirt on top of you. That's just the way it is.

He knows. We all have these meltdowns from time to time, but we always come back.

What the hell is wrong with us?

Dear Pat,

Take your pacifier out before you type this nonsense. It's hard to understand you with it in. Hopefully your period ends sometime soon and your nuts grow back because this nonsense needs to stop. A lifelong Tigers fan throwing his Jets fan card because he can't take losing?

You're such a woman.

Love ,

Smizzy

Man I wish I could root for another team. Life would be so much easier as Pats fan, or a Giants fan. But for some inexplicable reason I've always been a Jets fan, and I can't seem to give up on them. The Jets don't really deserve the fans they have, the article is right, we are one of the worst franchises in sports. We have been. Might always be. Yet we are still there as fans, despite what people claim. If the stadium was actually on Long Island and tickets were cheaper, and we actually had our own stadium, I bet the stadiums would be filled and we'd have a home field that nobody would want to play against us. But we don't, and we never will, because the franchise sucks. So instead crappy fans will go to the game for the most part, and sell their tickets every year to Steelers fans.

Being a lifelong Jets fan you learn how to turn it off so to speak when you have to. I've gone through seasons in the mid 70's where I would simply just have to stop watching them. I'd start on my fingernails then when they were gone and my cuticles started bleeding I'd go to work on my callouses when the blood would start running there you knew it was time to start doing something else on Sunday afternoons-Guns has reached blood

That's why I don't understand this outburst in Absentia.

I thought he lived in Michigan?

;-)

Eh, I had my rant on this team back in October. Gotta vent the frustration every once in a while. I understand not wanting to spend any more money on merchandise that lines the pockets of a dooshey owner, and I am having thoughts about changing my vacation time in 08 and not spending a lot of time watching mangini in TC.

If you're out there lurking GOB, Merry Christmas!

Hate to say it but if that is the way you feel there's the door. Don't let it hit you on the way out.

What the hell are you whining about ?

You could be an Arizona Cardinals fan

You could be a New Orleans Saints fan

You could be a Detroit Lions fan

A Cubs fan

A Dolphins fan

We all have our burdens to bear. The Jets our ours. It is in blood so get over it put your damn Jersey on, go find a freakin bar and root the Jets the way you always do.

I thought he lived in Michigan?

;-)

Eh, I had my rant on this team back in October. Gotta vent the frustration every once in a while. I understand not wanting to spend any more money on merchandise that lines the pockets of a dooshey owner, and I am having thoughts about changing my vacation time in 08 and not spending a lot of time watching mangini in TC.

If you're out there lurking GOB, Merry Christmas!

don't make that decision yet JC until after the draft if you can-they may just surprise us

That's why I don't understand this outburst in absentia.

He did the same thing to the Tigers last summer. I guess he's just a demonstrative guy.

Why is it that he can't post this himself??

What the hell is his deal?

I truly don't know why he doesn't post here. I'm just reposting his MySpace bulletins. I still chat with him online sometimes and talk to him on the phone on rare occasions. I asked him, once, why he doesn't hang here and he didn't want to talk about it. So, I leave him the hell alone.

With some of the tools around this place, it's hard to blame him. The good guys still outweigh the crap for me, but the balance is inching the wrong way. We all make choices.

Bob --

That is great that GOB communicates with you. He has chosen to leave here and he hasn't answered any of my numerous attempts to reach him. I am happy for you that he still talks to you.

But there is no reason to start threads like this. It is only going to cause problems. You know this. Thanks also for the kind words about the site. Much appreciated.

Archived