Per Knocksville News- His dad wants Chad out of NY

Kentucky Jet

Jettison from N.Y. for Pennington?

Father: Jets lost faith after QB gave 'heart and soul'

By Mark Burgess (Contact)

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Elwood Pennington has the emotion of a father and the understanding of a former football coach.

Emotion trumps understanding every time he talks about his son - New York Jets quarterback Chad Pennington.

Elwood wants Chad to move on and find a new home in the NFL.

"Definitely," Pennington said. "I know Chad has given his heart and soul to the Jets and that organization.

"Through his injuries, he supported every move they made. He took a salary cut and did everything they asked him to do."

His reward earlier this season was getting benched in favor of younger Kellen Clemens.

"As a father, it hurts to see your son go through that," Pennington said. "As a coach, trying to think like the organization, they have to do what they're doing to find out if Kellen Clemens is the real deal or not. I can understand that part of it."

He can understand it, but he doesn't have to like it.

"Chad is not the future of the New York Jets," Elwood said. "That's just understandable. If he was, he would be starting and there would be no problem.

"But they have a hard time in that organization naming a starter anyway."

Chad, a former Webb School star, reaffirmed this past week he's a competitor and wants to be the starter.

After Clemens suffered a rib injury early in last week's loss to New England, Pennington came off the bench and completed 25 of 38 passes for 186 yards in a 20-10 loss.

Pennington is expected to fill in for Clemens and return to his starter role as the Jets visit the Tennessee Titans in Nashville today.

Elwood thinks it may be the last time fans get a chance to see Pennington competing on the field in a Jets' uniform.

"After you become an eight-year veteran, you see it as a business and you know how the organization does things," he said. "With the new coaching staff and organization, they're going to go in a different direction.

"Chad doesn't fit into either's plans as far as the future is concerned. He's at the end of his career and he wants to be somewhere he can compete for the starting job, win games and maybe get to a Super Bowl."

Second-year coach Eric Mangini has told Pennington he respects his play, but that didn't stop him from benching the veteran.

Again this week, Mangini hadn't decided on a starter as of Saturday.

"I don't know what their thinking is, or what they're trying to accomplish by doing that," Elwood said. "It looks to me like if I have a quarterback - Kellen or Chad - I'm going to hang my hat on one of them and let them know I'm behind them.

"They haven't really committed to either one of them."

Publicly, Pennington took his demotion in stride despite outplaying Clemens when given the opportunity.

There weren't any sulking tirades.

"I think he handles it better than almost anyone," said David Meske, who was Pennington's coach at Webb. "He goes to work every day and works as hard as he can at it.

"He's a competitor. He wants to be on the field and he's someone who is going to just keep driving forward."

As always, Meske says he's more proud of Pennington's character than his on-field accomplishments.

He just happened to be at Elwood's house last week when Pennington was called to duty against the Patriots.

He knows the frustration the family has dealt with this season.

"It's not easy," Meske said. "When you're that kind of athlete, you're definitely someone who is always competing. Chad wants to be out there.

"But he's always going to handle it the right way. He's always going to take the right approach and he will always present himself in a positive way, even when that's difficult."

Elwood Pennington has the emotion of a father and the understanding of a former football coach.

Emotion trumps understanding every time he talks about his son - New York Jets quarterback Chad Pennington.

"Definitely," Pennington said. "I know Chad has given his heart and soul to the Jets and that organization.

"Through his injuries, he supported every move they made. He took a salary cut and did everything they asked him to do."

His reward earlier this season was getting benched in favor of younger Kellen Clemens.

"As a father, it hurts to see your son go through that," Pennington said. "As a coach, trying to think like the organization, they have to do what they're doing to find out if Kellen Clemens is the real deal or not. I can understand that part of it."

"Chad is not the future of the New York Jets," Elwood said. "That's just understandable. If he was, he would be starting and there would be no problem.

Chad, a former Webb School star, reaffirmed this past week he's a competitor and wants to be the starter.

After Clemens suffered a rib injury early in last week's loss to New England, Pennington came off the bench and completed 25 of 38 passes for 186 yards in a 20-10 loss.

Pennington is expected to fill in for Clemens and return to his starter role as the Jets visit the Tennessee Titans in Nashville today.

Elwood thinks it may be the last time fans get a chance to see Pennington competing on the field in a Jets' uniform.

"After you become an eight-year veteran, you see it as a business and you know how the organization does things," he said. "With the new coaching staff and organization, they're going to go in a different direction.

"Chad doesn't fit into either's plans as far as the future is concerned. He's at the end of his career and he wants to be somewhere he can compete for the starting job, win games and maybe get to a Super Bowl."

Second-year coach Eric Mangini has told Pennington he respects his play, but that didn't stop him from benching the veteran.

"I don't know what their thinking is, or what they're trying to accomplish by doing that," Elwood said. "It looks to me like if I have a quarterback - Kellen or Chad - I'm going to hang my hat on one of them and let them know I'm behind them.

Publicly, Pennington took his demotion in stride despite outplaying Clemens when given the opportunity.

"I think he handles it better than almost anyone," said David Meske, who was Pennington's coach at Webb. "He goes to work every day and works as hard as he can at it.

"He's a competitor. He wants to be on the field and he's someone who is going to just keep driving forward."

As always, Meske says he's more proud of Pennington's character than his on-field accomplishments.

He just happened to be at Elwood's house last week when Pennington was called to duty against the Patriots.

"It's not easy," Meske said. "When you're that kind of athlete, you're definitely someone who is always competing. Chad wants to be out there.

"But he's always going to handle it the right way. He's always going to take the right approach and he will always present himself in a positive way, even when that's difficult."

Chad is a class act and hopefully goes somewhere where he can be successful and appreciated

Tell him if he avoids throwing into double and triple coverage it will help...also his WR will like him better if he does not sail the ball and strech them out..thus running a high risk of gettin them KILLED !

Wow, just wow guys. I guess you have to be a dad to understand where Chad's dad is coming from...this is a father's love for his son. Maybe when you guys are old enough to understand and you happen to have a child that people are trashing you might sing a different tune. Unless of course you feel like trashing him/her yourself. You'll make a great dad for that.

Pennington's smarmy dad can suck my left one. And that's not the tastier of the two.

This franchise owes Chad Pennington absolutely nothing. If they want to dick around with telling him what his future is, that is the Jets' prerogative. He's been paid some $40M already so comments about alleged pay cuts are falling on deaf ears here, since he was overpaid so grossly to begin with.

- The Jets selected him in the draft when twenty-odd other teams passed on him.

- The Jets offered him what was then the 2nd-most lucrative (guaranteed $) deal in NFL history. He accepted this offer quite happily.

- The Jets offered him $3M guaranteed money up front in March '06 before it was known if Chad's career was over. The alternative was to potentially end up with nothing. He accepted this offer rather than take his chances.

- The $6M "paycut" he took was given back to him in the most sissy-like incentive clause: start 10 football games in the same season. Despite looking like garbage for most of the prior month-plus, the Jets didn't take the cap-friendly way out & bench his under-performing ass to use that money on a true superstar the following year.

Where the hell does a below-average QB (or one who is clearly acting as his mouthpiece) - one that has been paid like a first-ballot HOF'er - get the nerve to voice an opinion about anything other than gratitude towards the franchise that made him wealthy beyond both his worth and wildest dreams?

What a tool.

Pennington's smarmy dad can suck my left one. And that's not the tastier of the two.

This franchise owes Chad Pennington absolutely nothing. If they want to dick around with telling him what his future is, that is the Jets' prerogative. He's been paid some $40M already so comments about alleged pay cuts are falling on deaf ears here, since he was overpaid so grossly to begin with.

- The Jets offered him what was then the 2nd-most lucrative (guaranteed $) deal in NFL history. He accepted this offer quite happily.

- The Jets offered him $3M guaranteed money up front in March '06 before it was known if Chad's career was over. The alternative was to potentially end up with nothing. He accepted this offer rather than take his chances.

- The $6M "paycut" he took was given back to him in the most sissy-like incentive clause: start 10 football games in the same season. Despite looking like garbage for most of the prior month-plus, the Jets didn't take the cap-friendly way out & bench his under-performing ass to use that money on a true superstar the following year.

Where the hell does a below-average QB (or one who is clearly acting as his mouthpiece) - one that has been paid like a first-ballot HOF'er - get the nerve to voice an opinion about anything other than gratitude towards the franchise that made him wealthy beyond both his worth and wildest dreams?

What a tool.

You're a nice guy.

What a tool.

Been hitting the holiday sauce early have you....LOL. You're responding to this thread like Elwood is Chad's agent...it's his dad. Now, if this was his agent, I could see the criticism.

What a tool.

Agreed.

I agree with Elwood,Chad should get the f**k:curse: out of New York!

Please...Please do!

Chad is a class act and hopefully goes somewhere where he can be successful and appreciated
Who appreciates floaters to the DB?

Wow, just wow guys. I guess you have to be a dad to understand where Chad's dad is coming from...this is a father's love for his son. Maybe when you guys are old enough to understand and you happen to have a child that people are trashing you might sing a different tune. Unless of course you feel like trashing him/her yourself. You'll make a great dad for that.

I don't see any other professional athletes dad's coming to their rescue. I understand where he is coming from....but as a father...you can't walk into your sons job and complain about how he is being used when he is getting paid like everyone else.

Worry about dad stuff...not the media and his lack of playing time.

Please...Please do!

I don't see any other professional athletes dad's coming to their rescue. I understand where he is coming from....but as a father...you can't walk into your sons job and complain about how he is being used when he is getting paid like everyone else.

I have to agree with you SMIZZY. I do not see Mr. Pennington worry about his son's 1 and 9 record or the teams failure to develop an NFL-calibre OL. Dad stuff has no place in the NY media, though we are DADs and understand. Some things can have a devisive effect on a tattered team. Statements like that in the NY media can be devastating to a player as well as a team. Let them go unsaid until AFTYER the team makes its decision on CHADS future or lack of one with the JETS.

I don't like to drop stuff like this, but a few years ago when I worked at the Meadowlands, I had a brief encounter with the Pennington family. Nice people.

I wish all the best to Chad.

i met Chad a few years ago when the Jets and Giants had a scrimmage, i got a field pass.

Chad and Eli Manning were talking about Shockey raising some hell against the Jets defense, I remember Eli asying something like "thats Shockey for ya"

then i went up to Chad and got his autograph (which i lost)

Please...Please do!

very true

I have to agree with you SMIZZY. I do not see Mr. Pennington worry about his son's 1 and 9 record or the teams failure to develop an NFL-calibre OL. Dad stuff has no place in the NY media, though we are DADs and understand. Some things can have a devisive effect on a tattered team. Statements like that in the NY media can be devastating to a player as well as a team. Let them go unsaid until AFTYER the team makes its decision on CHADS future or lack of one with the JETS.

"Statements like that in the NY media can be devastating to a player as well as a team"...LOL. Good stuff. Damn, I'm sure glad Pennington's dad didn't make these statements in the beginning of the season because it could have really ****ed up our season.

"Statements like that in the NY media can be devastating to a player as well as a team"...LOL. Good stuff. Damn, I'm sure glad Pennington's dad didn't make these statements in the beginning of the season because it could have really ****ed up our season.

I have seen many good people fired from jobs (real world jobs).

Why do some people here still feel the need to defend Chad because he is a nice guy? This is the NFL people.

Chad has made millions of dollars as the QB for the Jets. His Dad, while being disappointed with the Jets, can go F himself.

I wish I made millions last year.

I have seen many good people fired from jobs (real world jobs).

Why do some people here still feel the need to defend Chad because he is a nice guy? This is the NFL people.

Chad has made millions of dollars as the QB for the Jets. His Dad, while being disappointed with the Jets, can go F himself.

I wish I made millions last year.

I'm not defending Chad...not for a second. I know exactly what he brings to this team. Mediocrity at best. I'm just defending his old man. Let him blow off steam...if he doesn't defend his kid, who is? Like I mentioned in an earlier post, if this was Chad's agent I could see the resentment to this article...it's his father, let it ride.

I'm not defending Chad...not for a second. I know exactly what he brings to this team. Mediocrity at best. I'm just defending his old man. Let him blow off steam...if he doesn't defend his kid, who is? Like I mentioned in an earlier post, if this was Chad's agent I could see the resentment to this article...it's his father, let it ride.

I understand where you are coming from NS. I have kids, but for Elwood to speak out to the media was fool hardy.

Hes a proud Dad but he needs to keep his trap shut.

I understand where you are coming from NS. I have kids, but for Elwood to speak out to the media was fool hardy.

Hes a proud Dad but he needs to keep his trap shut.

I'm gonna name my kid Elwood. My god that is a bad ass name. I mean damn, you can't hate. I was going to post to agree with you but I'm sorry, the name is too much for me.

Archived