Schotty loking at Ravens job- NY POST

Kentucky Jet

JETS AIDE VIES FOR RAVENS JOB

By MARK CANNIZZARO

January 7, 2008 -- For the second consecutive year, Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has a shot at an NFL head-coaching job.

Schottenheimer, who interviewed for the Dolphins' vacancy last January before taking his name out of consideration to remain with the Jets, is expected to interview for the Ravens job in Baltimore within the next couple of days.

Ravens head coach Brian Billick was fired last week, creating the opening.

The Ravens, who clearly want to hire a head coach who will improve their perennially poor offense, aalso are expected to interview Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski this week.

They already have interviewed Rex Ryan, who was Billick's defensive coordinator, along with Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell, Cowboys assistant head coach Tony Sparano and Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.

There even has been a TV report in Baltimore saying that the Ravens are interested in speaking to Marty Schottenheimer, Brian's father, but that Marty doesn't want to be a part of the first round of interviews.

Though he's a bright young mind and an energetic coach, based on the poor year the Jets offense had this season Brian Schottenheimer is a questionable candidate. You would think replacing Billick with a coach whose offense was ranked 26th in the NFL this season would be a difficult sell to Ravens fans.

Should Schottenheimer, whom the Dolphins wanted to hire last year before he withdrew himself from consideration, get the Ravens job it might mean three new Jets coordinators next season.

Their special teams coach Mike Westhoff stepped down after the season finale to concentrate on his health. And there has been widespread speculation that Eric Mangini is ready to replace defensive coordinator Bob Sutton.

In fact, should Ryan not get a head-coaching position, he might be a candidate based on his relationship with Mangini.

Neither Mangini nor Schottenheimer was available for comment last night. Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum has a previously scheduled press conference today.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Looks like Newsday is reporting the same thing

Jets' Schottenheimer a candidate for Ravens job

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

9:24 PM EST, January 6, 2008

Brian Schottenheimer is a candidate for the Ravens' head coaching job, according to a Ravens source, and likely will interview for the position this week.

The Jets' offensive coordinator for two years, Schottenheimer is considered one of the top young offensive coaches in the NFL -- even though the Jets were ranked 26th in offense and 25th in scoring in 2007.

Schottenheimer interviewed for the Dolphins' job last year. Schottenhei mer, believed to have been a front-runner for the position, withdrew his name from consideration.

He'll be one of several candidates in Baltimore; former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan reportedly interviewed Sunday and was preceded by Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell, Cowboys assistant head coach Tony Sparano and Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. Ryan, the former Ravens defensive coordinator and the rest of the coaching staff were fired last week along with coach Brian Billick by team owner Steve Bisciotti.

Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski also is expected to meet with the Ravens this week. Based on that list, the Ravens clearly are interested in a head coach who will focus on the offense.

If Schottenheimer leaves, the Jets could have to replace all three of their coordinators. Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton is on the hot seat, expected to be relieved of his job in the coming days, and special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff announced that he will not return next year for health reasons.

A potential replacement for Schottenheimer could be the man who took the job for which Schottenheimer interviewed last year: Cam Cameron. Fired by the Dolphins and considered a flop as a head coach, Cameron is now a hot commodity as an offensive coordinator. He and Schottenheimer worked together in San Diego, so bringing Cameron in would allow the offense to continue without too big a shake-up. Offensive guru Mike Martz also is available.

Father, son could compete to fill vacancy

By Jamison Hensley | Sun reporter

January 7, 2008

As the Ravens wrapped up their interview with recently dismissed defensive coordinator Rex Ryan yesterday, they could turn their attention to a Schottenheimer or two.

Brian Schottenheimer, the New York Jets' offensive coordinator the past two seasons, is expected to meet with the Ravens as early as today. Under Schottenheimer, the Jets' offense finished 25th in 2006 and 26th this season.

Then, much later in the Ravens' search process, the team might meet with Marty Schottenheimer, Brian's father. According to Foxsports.com, the Ravens have contacted Marty Schottenheimer but he doesn't want to interview in the first round of talks.

Marty Schottenheimer coached Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome when they were both with the Cleveland Browns. If Schottenheimer gets a coaching job, he likely would name Cam Cameron, who was recently fired as the Miami Dolphins' coach, as offensive coordinator.

Attempts to reach Marty Schottenheimer yesterday were unsuccessful.

Another candidate expected to meet with the Ravens this week is Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski.

The Ravens met with Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell on Friday and two Dallas Cowboys assistants, offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and assistant head coach Tony Sparano, on Saturday.

One league observer questioned whether the Ravens broke NFL rules by flying in the coaches to Baltimore while their teams were in the playoffs. An NFL spokesman said it wasn't a violation because their teams approved the visits.

The Ravens spent yesterday talking with Ryan, who even parked in the head coach's parking space at the team headquarters. Ryan is scheduled to interview for the other two head-coaching vacancies in the NFL this week, meeting with the Atlanta Falcons today and the Miami Dolphins tomorrow.

Can you imagine Chad Pennington under Mike Martz...talk about chuck and duck...hysterical

Bulger doesn't have much better of an arm and he prospered.

Believe it or not, Pennington may NEED to play for someone like Martz.. someone who will get in his face and tell him to QUIT IT with the dump downs and chuck it downfield.

I'm not saying I want Martz.. just thinking out loud. I'd rather see Cameron.

I say this is a smokescreen -no real interest in him in Baltimore

See.. this is what I think.. my theory.

They want Marty, and Marty wants his son as OC. However, they can't get that done without compensation to the Jets.

So what do we do? We hire Brian kind of like Dallas did with Jason Garrett last year... then if Marty is interested, we let him be the HC.

not sure we have anyone on the coaching staff worth keeping

yes that is an indictment on EM

Yeah, but this constant changing of coaches is not the way to build a team...a player can't get use to playing in a particular scheme before that coach is out the door. Jets do it constantly with HC's and assistants...it's a joke.

Yeah, but this constant changing of coaches is not the way to build a team...a player can't get use to playing in a particular scheme before that coach is out the door. Jets do it constantly with HC's and assistants...it's a joke.

i understand that, it is up to HC to build a competent staff.

this is why i would love woody to hire cowher, end this mess now. the team

needs to be rebuilt anyway.

PS i know it won't happen....EM is on the clock

i understand that, it is up to HC to build a competent staff.

this is why i would love woody to hire cowher, end this mess now. the team

needs to be rebuilt anyway.

PS i know it won't happen....EM is on the clock

Unfortunately, I completely agree with you. We have 0 experience from the Owner, to the so called GM down to the HC and perhaps even the towel boys. A successful team is made of a good mix of veterans and youth. That also goes for management. IMO we went about the "building" of this team the wrong way.

Since BP stopped coaching this team we

I would love to see how the Ravens explain this hiring (if it happens) to their fans. this just sounds like a weak rumor from the Post and their great writer Mr. Canafatto

Not saying Schotty would do anything but blow total, and complete ass in Balt, buuuuutttt...The Packers hired McCarthy when his resume featured two bottom 8 or 9 offenses. Now he was a strong candidate for coach of the year (minus the cheaters, and he might have won it).

It's not always about past preformance, but in this case, i'd be happy as hell if someone would take this bum off of our hands.

all I know is this minority hiring practice is a sham-whether or not teams WANT to hire a certain coach they have to still interview an African American for the job they probably have no interest in giving it to. I would be insulted if I were one of the token black men that the league was trying to ram down some team's throat-especially knowing I had ZERO chance of getting the job anyway

This will have been Brians second interview for a HC job under Mangini. I don't see the interest in him, but obviously hes worthy enough to be looked at.

I hear everyone is very impressed with his determination. For instance, the way he runs on 1st down 99% of the time, despite a weak running attack and no matter how many players the opposing defense puts in the box. That kind of determination is rare. Almost Winston Churchill like.

I hear everyone is very impressed with his determination. For instance, the way he runs on 1st down 99% of the time, despite a weak running attack and no matter how many players the opposing defense puts in the box. That kind of determination is rare. Almost Winston Churchill like.

Yeah, I get your drift...we had this freaking butter bar LT over in Nam...kept wanting to take this same hill even though strategically it meant zip...finally he got his....have to say, most of us didn't mind him zipped in a bag on his way home.

Archived