Jets are close to signing TE Franks

TaborJet

Jets are close to signing TE Franks

Sunday, March 16, 2008

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets, determined to improve upon last season's 4-12 debacle, are continuing one of their busiest offseasons and are close to signing three-time Pro Bowl tight end Bubba Franks, according to two people with knowledge of the negotiations.

Those people spoke on condition of anonymity because talks are ongoing. An official announcement could come as early as tomorrow, when the Jets begin their offseason program.

On Friday, the Jets missed out on tight end Ben Utecht (Colts), who signed an offer sheet with the Bengals. They immediately turned their attention to Franks, who was released by the Packers last month. He has already visited with the Jets.

Franks, an eight-year veteran whose given name is Daniel, has been plagued by injuries the past three seasons but remains a solid blocker and reliable receiver, especially in the red zone. He's viewed as a good complement to starter Chris Baker. The Jets have been searching for a quality backup tight end for several seasons.

Last season, Franks, 6-6, 265 pounds, had just 18 catches for 132 yards and three touchdowns in eight games. He missed eight games with a torn posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee and lost his starting job to Donald Lee. He was due a $3 million base salary this season.

Franks, 30, was a starter for seven of his eight seasons in Green Bay. He recorded 256 career receptions for 2,300 yards and 32 touchdowns. His touchdown receptions are tied for the 10th-most in Packers' history.

A former first-round pick (14th overall out of Miami in 2000), Franks made the Pro Bowl in 2001, 2002 and 2003. Injuries, however, have slowed him in recent years. He has missed 14 games over the past three seasons with knee, neck and back injuries.

The Jets strongly considered drafting Franks in 2000, when they had four first-round picks and selected tight end Anthony Becht in the first round.

Notes: The Jets aren't ruling out keeping NT Dewayne Robertson and moving him to defensive end after a deal with the Broncos fell through last week. Robertson, who has a $9.8 million base salary this season and a $3 million roster bonus due in June, would have to rework his contract. The Broncos, however, are still interested, as are the Lions.... CB Donald Strickland (49ers) remains on the Jets radar, as does veteran Ty Law.

The question I have is why? Baker is not complementary to a guy like Franks

Franks was a former 1st round pick that made 3 probowls. He has definitely dropped off a bit, but alot of it had to do with GB's 4 & 5 WR sets all the time. I think Franks is still better than Baker.

This would be a solid pick-up and for once would give the Quarterback two solid options at Tight End to throw the ball too. Now you can keep one of the TE's inside to block and the other to go out into the open to catch the ball and make a play. Hopefully this gets done.

This would be a solid pick-up and for once would give the Quarterback two solid options at Tight End to throw the ball too. Now you can keep one of the TE's inside to block and the other to go out into the open to catch the ball and make a play. Hopefully this gets done.

Exactly. Given we don't have a solid #3 WR, having 2 TE's that can create space and catch the ball well is a good solution to create mismatches. I would expect alot of 2 TE sets this year.

Mar. 3 - 1:10 am et

The player rep for free agent TE Bubba Franks expects his client to finalize a contract with a team by the end of the week.

The smart money is on Franks signing with the Seahawks, especially after they were apparently spurned by soon-to-be Titans TE Alge Crumpler. Franks can still block, but shouldn't be an every-down starter wherever he lands.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Feb. 20 - 6:13 pm et

Packers released TE Bubba Franks.

When healthy, Franks was an effective blocker and red-zone option in '07, but his body is beginning to fall apart. Franks certainly wouldn't have been worth the $3.5 million he was due. Old pal Mike Holmgren could bring him on as a backup for around the minimum, but he's nowhere near starting caliber.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Feb. 12 - 10:59 am et

The Packers are expected to ask TE Bubba Franks to take a cut in pay.

He was an effective blocker when healthy in 2007, but chronic knee issues and a $3 million salary for 2008 have him on the bubble. Green Bay figures to decide Franks' future before March 1, when he's due a $500,000 bonus.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

It has more to do with his injuries. I know he can play I just hope he stays healthy. Good move if it happens.

If healthy, this is a nice depth/red-zone move. If not, no loss -- adios muchacho. I'm sure this will be on the cheap so far as guaranteed $ are concerned, with incentives if Bubba produces. Can't love or hate this kind of pick up -- football equivalent of oatmeal or Visene.

:sign0098: You thought "outside the box" and came up with a 3rd option. Nice work. :biggrin:

I got rushed off earlier.....what I meant was that this is probably his last stop and that if he does not make the team, he retires. The other option would be to attempt to hook on somewhere else. What I was saying is that he is an old 30 and does not have much left.

I got rushed off earlier.....what I meant was that this is probably his last stop and that if he does not make the team, he retires. The other option would be to attempt to hook on somewhere else. What I was saying is that he is an old 30 and does not have much left.

I thought your idea of him possibly winding up dead in TC was hysterical. Not that I'd want that to happen but it just struck me as funny. That's why I + repped you.

I dont like this so much...

As much as the Jets have improved this offseason, they havent gotten any younger. It seems as if Tangini are trying to make this a win now team with the moves this offseason. However, they cant go out and sign too many old players, after all, its been proven in just about every sport that you dont buy championships. You need chemistry as well. If we continue to sign these older players to contracts, they'll either be gone or not starting in 3 years and that chemistry will never get a real shot at developing. I say we re-sign Baker and maybe address the position later on in the draft.

No need for Franks yet.

As much as the Jets have improved this offseason, they havent gotten any younger. It seems as if Tangini are trying to make this a win now team with the moves this offseason. However, they cant go out and sign too many old players, after all, its been proven in just about every sport that you dont buy championships. You need chemistry as well. If we continue to sign these older players to contracts, they'll either be gone or not starting in 3 years and that chemistry will never get a real shot at developing. I say we re-sign Baker and maybe address the position later on in the draft.

No need for Franks yet.

Normally i would agree, but as a #2 TE to use in our two or three TE sets, i don't think him leaving us in a year or so will really ruin team chemistry. He's still a good runblocking TE and is a decent body in the redzone, but i doubt he will be used on an everydown basis.

No need for Franks yet.

Exactly the way to do it.

Draft players to take over for the aging guys at that time; don't draft looking for (or worse, expecting) immediate starters in the 4th-7th rounds (or undrafted FA's). Plenty of those guys in those rounds can play; the may just take a couple of years. By then you can let the older vets go.

I think this was the plan with some older guys who weren't bank-breakers like Bobby Hamilton, Kimo von Oelhoffen, Kevan Barlow, Anthony Clement, & Brad Kassell, as well as keeping Chad Pennington around instead of severing ties with him back when he was still rehabbing his shoulder in February '06. Also in hoping that mid/late round picks like Schlegel & Pociask would realize at least adequate veteran potential (and reach it earlier) if they were harder workers or team captain types. Problem is they were all awful & set the rebuilding of the franchise back for a year or two.

Exactly the way to do it.

Draft players to take over for the aging guys at that time; don't draft looking for (or worse, expecting) immediate starters in the 4th-7th rounds (or undrafted FA's). Plenty of those guys in those rounds can play; the may just take a couple of years. By then you can let the older vets go.

I think this was the plan with some older guys who weren't bank-breakers like Bobby Hamilton, Kimo von Oelhoffen, Kevan Barlow, Anthony Clement, & Brad Kassell, as well as keeping Chad Pennington around instead of severing ties with him back when he was still rehabbing his shoulder in February '06. Also in hoping that mid/late round picks like Schlegel & Pociask would realize at least adequate veteran potential (and reach it earlier) if they were harder workers or team captain types. Problem is they were all awful & set the rebuilding of the franchise back for a year or two.

I think we should be more concerned about re-signing Rhodes and Baker before we worry about bringing in a guy like Franks or Law.

You think D-rob would rework his deal so he can stay with the Jets to play end? You think Drob would make a good 3-4 end?

I think that if we sign him or not it's not gonna make or break our season. It would just be another nice little stop gap season or two pickup for us.

I think we should be more concerned about re-signing Rhodes and Baker before we worry about bringing in a guy like Franks or Law.

I don't think baker needs his contract redone; he tried free agency a year or so ago and no one wanted him so we signed him. Now, he has one good season and wants more money?? I'll redo it at the end of this year if he has another good year.

We are working on rhodes' conract currently, but we shouldn't give up on helping our team the rest of the offseason just because we can't finish one players contract. I'm with you on getting it done soon, but it's not like he's going anywhere.

As much as the Jets have improved this offseason, they havent gotten any younger.

We didnt need to get younger, we were the 4th youngest team in the league lat year. Bring in some vets was actually a good idea. The deals were costly though.

At this point in his career Franks is what he is; a #2 TE, which is what we are signing him for. Not a terrible move at all. Though, if Martin Rucker is there in round 4 I jump on him.

"Jets agreed to terms with TE Bubba Franks, formerly of the Packers.

Franks, 30, caught 18 passes for 132 yards (7.2 YPC) and three TDs in 2007 as Donald Lee's backup. He's slowed down quite a bit, but can still help in the run game. Franks will be the Jets' No. 2 tight end behind Chris Baker."

I'm assuming it's going to be for a very modest contract; i was reading he came in for a visit more than once and left without a contract. Hopefully he gets paid like a backup TE and not like the money utecht got.

You think D-rob would rework his deal so he can stay with the Jets to play end? You think Drob would make a good 3-4 end?

I think that if we sign him or not it's not gonna make or break our season. It would just be another nice little stop gap season or two pickup for us.

The Raiders tried doing a similar experiment in 2004 with Warren Sapp and it failed miserably.

D-Rob should strictly be used as a one gap DT in a 4-3 scheme.

Archived