What do you expect from Schottenhiemer this season

BroadwayJ667

We remember the gambling, creative, spread the ball and throw the ball down the filed schotty from 2 years ago.

And we know the predictable, 8 yards deep run right, 10 yard out to the left schotty from last year.

why the change. ???? my only guess is that Brian had no confidence in the O-line to do the creative things he wanted to do. (your theories)

I see the offense going back to what they did 2 years ago.

What do you see in terms of play calls this season. Discuss

I expect something a hell of a lot better than last season. Which was absolutely ****ing awful, almost marty-like.

He better be much, much improved. Otherwise he better not be here the year after.

He calls running plays on 1st down way too often for my liking.

I expect something a hell of a lot better than last season. Which was absolutely ****ing awful, almost marty-like.

He better be much, much improved. Otherwise he better not be here the year after.

He calls running plays on 1st down way too often for my liking.

I don't know if he can be any worse than he was last season. Last season I had high expectations for him. My expectations for him a slightly down now, I know what he can potentially do, I just wish he wouldn't hold anything back though.

I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be upset with the offense that is going to be played this season.

4 yards and a cloud of dust.

With the players they are acquiring I really believe they are going to try for a strong running game, and a tough defense. Short yardage third downs. Depends who is the QB to determine how often they will throw the ball on first down. Actually if it's Pennington there will be more 1st down throws. He has a great play Acton, and teams will be pinching up. It depends how effective the running game is.

If Clemens is the QB, I think they will be more inclined to be conservative so as not to put him in pressure situations. Plus right now the Jets lack a long ball WR. IMO it will be a grind it out,. move the chains offense

If people are expecting a downfield offence this season. They are going to be incredibly dissapointed. Like flgreen pointed out, the pickups look like they're going to try and build a strong rushing attack and have more of a ball control offense than anything else. This is why I think Chad will be the QB. There are no deep threats at all in our lineup so there aren't too many advantages to having a strong armed/gunslinger at QB.

I really do feel these FA pickups (or even moreso, the non-pickups) have been designed to suit chad at QB. Just my opinion.

Clemens can get the ball down the field, as witnessed in the Baltimore game when he had all his receivers. If McCariens catches that ball at the end it would have been 2 long drives in the 4th qtr against a good defense, something Chad could never do. Later in the year, he had no Coles, no protection and the offense sucked. Give Kellen healthy receivers behind a much improved line and the O will be oK, be able to run effectively which will lead to an effective vertical passing game.

We have a starting RB who can't score TD's and small WR's who are physically incapable of consistently making Shotty's favourite Red zone play (the trusty fade route) so I doubt we've seen the end of our red-zone woes TBH.

Thats why we got Chatman for the running back position, because he can get into the endzone. We really need a wide receiver target though. Either Sweed, or Hardy would do just fine for me.

I think it all starts at the line of scrimmage...when the running backs are fighting the linebackers for handoffs that never is good. TJ will have a huge year this year and that will open the play action pass which opens the offense.

Schottenheimer was never a "creative, throw the ball down the field, gambler". Our offense sucked in 2006 too. No one seemed to notice because we made the playoffs.

Personally, I think he should have been fired after last season. He did a horrific job with Kellen Clemens. Every single first down call was the same. You can't put a young QB in second and long situations on every f'ing drive. Also, the stupid Brad Smith gimmick plays quit working about week 5 of '06.

I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be upset with the offense that is going to be played this season.

With the players they are acquiring I really believe they are going to try for a strong running game, and a tough defense. Short yardage third downs. Depends who is the QB to determine how often they will throw the ball on first down. Actually if it's Pennington there will be more 1st down throws. He has a great play Acton, and teams will be pinching up. It depends how effective the running game is.

If Clemens is the QB, I think they will be more inclined to be conservative so as not to put him in pressure situations. Plus right now the Jets lack a long ball WR. IMO it will be a grind it out,. move the chains offense

I agree, its going to be a ball control ground attack this year and Im fine with that if the line is as good as we all think it will be. Maybe the TEs can actually get off the LOS and be utilized as well. I think this offense would be tailor made for Clemens though, which would allow him to progress safely and slowly. If his play fake is better, he seems the odds on favorite to start this offense this year.

I expect him to put the ball in the hands of Leon Washington more often, as well as run the ball more often, but hopefully he changes is up once and a while and passes the ball on 1st down just to see if they can get some extra yardage by surprising the defense. Frankly I expect the Jets, no matter who the Quarterback ends up being, to be like the Baltimore Ravens. 40 runs, 20 passes.

We remember the gambling, creative, spread the ball and throw the ball down the filed schotty from 2 years ago.

And we know the predictable, 8 yards deep run right, 10 yard out to the left schotty from last year.

why the change. ???? my only guess is that Brian had no confidence in the O-line to do the creative things he wanted to do. (your theories)

I see the offense going back to what they did 2 years ago.

What do you see in terms of play calls this season. Discuss

Good thread. I think they will be more creative but they will choose their spots. Look at what they are building. They brought in Callahan to improve the running game specifically. That is an experienced coach with one goal, getting this team to run the ball.

Regardless of the QB (Clemens or Chad) they will want to take the pressure off that position. Paying Faneca was a no-brainer. Paying Damien Woody to play RT was a sign that they want to leave nothing to chance. They want to run the ball often.

Even signing Chatman as a 3rd RB tells you that if Jones goes down, they want to have experience. All this running will open things up no doubt. But it won't be the primary focus. Two years ago they did all that razzle dazzle because they had to.

This year it would be nice to see a 3rd and 1 run right up the middle. For a first down.

Good thread. I think they will be more creative but they will choose their spots. Look at what they are building. They brought in Callahan to improve the running game specifically. That is an experienced coach with one goal, getting this team to run the ball.

Regardless of the QB (Clemens or Chad) they will want to take the pressure off that position. Paying Faneca was a no-brainer. Paying Damien Woody to play RT was a sign that they want to leave nothing to chance. They want to run the ball often.

Even signing Chatman as a 3rd RB tells you that if Jones goes down, they want to have experience. All this running will open things up no doubt. But it won't be the primary focus. Two years ago they did all that razzle dazzle because they had to.

This year it would be nice to see a 3rd and 1 run right up the middle. For a first down.

One thing though Max, is the razzle dazzle B Smith bs may actually work this year. (if not overly used)

carefull brudder, thats what I said earlier in the week and I got lambasted...you are not allowed to have an opinion here unless it is the same as the Clemenites...

One thing though Max, is the razzle dazzle B Smith bs may actually work this year. (if not overly used)

Yes. And that is why I like everything they have done. They should be much better at controlling the line of scrimmage this year. So the razzle dazzle stuff is actually under the trick play category again.

Remember against the Pats? They had to run that kind of offense because they would have been blown off the ball running anything conventional.

Yes. And that is why I like everything they have done. They should be much better at controlling the line of scrimmage this year. So the razzle dazzle stuff is actually under the trick play category again.

Remember against the Pats? They had to run that kind of offense because they would have been blown off the ball running anything conventional.

stop acting like you have an idea, we all know better :P

I'm hoping he'll get his head out of his ass and occasionally pass on first down. I'm also hoping he calls routes that are not 6 yard slants or 8 yard digs once in a while. Maybe he could use our best RB sometimes too.

Hope is different than expectations though. I expect that I'll be bitching about his awful playcalling by week 3.

i just would like to see some creativity that he used in 06.

i was upset when I thought he was gonna be taken by another team (dont remeber who). then I became very upset after he stayed! his play calling was horrible. Maybe we wont have to hurry to line and do the quick sneak (it was pretty effective though i must admit) every time we are a yard short on 2nd and 3rd down. If we have the line to pound it for the first down (and we should be able to do that now) then we add the oppurtunity to take a shot and go downfield as the defense crowds the line. We lost that ability last year. Get creative but not only with BRAD SMITH! ICORPORATE LEON! WAKE UP SHOTTY

carefull brudder, thats what I said earlier in the week and I got lambasted...you are not allowed to have an opinion here unless it is the same as the Clemenites...

I must confess, I am a closet Clemenite. :)

I thought he was the best QB in that draft. Still do. That doesn't mean I have to hate Pennington. He was a very good QB for the Jets. Two shoulder surgeries later he is very limited. He just has nothing left in his upfield arm, but at this point I think he is still the best QB on the Jets, and they can win with him in the offense that is going to be presented this season.

My optimum hope is that Pennington comes out and has the best preseason he has ever had, but Clemens is just so good, they can't keep him off the field. Nor do they want to. Remember this FO has no ties to Pennington. If Clemens comes in this year and lights it up, they will look like genius. Clemens is their pick not Pennington. It could happen.

With an excellent running game, it will make either QB look a lot better. and as I stated, I think Pennington is still a starting QB in the NFL in the right situation, and the Jets FO, if all goes well, might have put him in the right situation.

IMO it will be Clemens for sure in 09, and probably Pennington in 08, unless Clemens lights it up in camp as he did last year.

Doesn't really matter to me. I just want the best QB playing this season. I actually believe they can win with either.

All I know is this

If we go out of the single back formation, with the HB 8 yards deep in the backfield, and run the ball something like 88-90%, I will lose my freaking cool

I think you better leave your air conditioner running all winter then Brother, because what it seems to me is going to happen is, run right, run right, 3rd and 2, complete 5 yard pass. Move the chains, run right, run right, 3rd and 2, complete 5 yard pass. Move the chains.

The benefit if we have Pennington is the play action on 1st down.

The benefit if we have Clemens is that once in awhile he will be able to go upfield on 3rd.

I think you better leave your air conditioner running all winter then Brother, because what it seems to me is going to happen is, run right, run right, 3rd and 2, complete 5 yard pass. Move the chains, run right, run right, 3rd and 2, complete 5 yard pass. Move the chains.

The benefit if we have Pennington is the play action on 1st down.

The benefit if we have Clemens is that once in awhile he will be able to go upfield on 3rd.

No I'm not saying that... I dont care when and where we run, but I cant stand them running from the signle back with the HB 8 yards deep over 85% of the time. Everytime we went to the signle back formation with the HB 8 yards deep, it was a run... The fans new it was going to be a run, and so did the opposing Defense.

The benefit we have with Pennington is the play action pass, but he also hurts us on running plays because the defense will stack 8 sometimes even 9 in the box because they know the run is coming.

No thanks with Pennington, his little play action pass never beat top Defenses.

No I'm not saying that... I dont care when and where we run, but I cant stand them running from the signle back with the HB 8 yards deep over 85% of the time. Everytime we went to the signle back formation with the HB 8 yards deep, it was a run... The fans new it was going to be a run, and so did the opposing Defense.

The benefit we have with Pennington is the play action pass, but he also hurts us on running plays because the defense will stack 8 sometimes even 9 in the box because they know the run is coming.

No thanks with Pennington, his little play action pass never beat top Defenses.

You seriously teams are going to back off of Clemens in fear???

Doubtful I'm afraid.

Archived