The Official "I Love Melky Cabrera" Thread

Jetlag

Um Torii who? Say hello to your 2008 Gold Glove winner.

alg_melky.jpg

This guy is becoming one of my favorite current Yankees. This team is more than fine with both his glove and his bat (which was one of the few bats that worked last post-season).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread has to do with paying homage to the next great Yankee Center fielder, not with jaded Mets fans.

Dude, if you're going to compare him to Joe D and Mickey, I guarantee they're rolling in their graves now. I bet its probably berning Bernie to hear you say that as well. If you think a .280 hitting center fielder with little power, above average defense and a good arm is your next great CF, so be it. I won't stand in your way. I was merely making a comment on an observation. All I'm saying, is from what I've seen and I watch a lot of Yankee games as well is that Cabrera is a good 4th outfielder. If you don't believe me just ask major league scouts.

Dude, if you're going to compare him to Joe D and Mickey, I guarantee they're rolling in their graves now. I bet its probably berning Bernie to hear you say that as well. If you think a .280 hitting center fielder with little power, above average defense and a good arm is your next great CF, so be it. I won't stand in your way. I was merely making a comment on an observation. All I'm saying, is from what I've seen and I watch a lot of Yankee games as well is that Cabrera is a good 4th outfielder. If you don't believe me just ask major league scouts.

Why would we ask what major league scouts think of Melky when we pretty much saw this kid win the game for us today. Without his two amazing catches in the outfield, the Yankees would have lost, then he ended up to tie the game at 2 with a clutch homerun. By the way hitting .280 in the majors for a 23 year old is bad? Many 23 year olds aren't even in the majors, and they probably will barely make the majors. If the kid didn't have talent, he wouldn't be where he was. He is no way a 4th outfielder. He is a starter. Sorry he isn't overpaid like Beltran, though.

Why would we ask what major league scouts think of Melky when we pretty much saw this kid win the game for us today. Without his two amazing catches in the outfield, the Yankees would have lost, then he ended up to tie the game at 2 with a clutch homerun. By the way hitting .280 in the majors for a 23 year old is bad? Many 23 year olds aren't even in the majors, and they probably will barely make the majors. If the kid didn't have talent, he wouldn't be where he was. He is no way a 4th outfielder. He is a starter. Sorry he isn't overpaid like Beltran, though.

NO question, Cabrera played a big part in winning the game today. All i said, was that so called home run would have been a routine fly ball in pretty much any ball park. .280 isn't bad, it is what it is, "average". I personally think average is Cabrera's ceiling. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I highly doubt it though.

Are you seriously going to compare Cabrera to Beltran, that's almost as crazy as comparing some other dude comparing Pedro to Pavano. Beltran has his faults, but he's a bonofide all star with gold gloves to boot.

PS. Why are you calling Cabrera a kid? Aren't you like 14?

NO question, Cabrera played a big part in winning the game today. All i said, was that so called home run would have been a routine fly ball in pretty much any ball park. .280 isn't bad, it is what it is, "average". I personally think average is Cabrera's ceiling. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I highly doubt it though.

Are you seriously going to compare Cabrera to Beltran, that's almost as crazy as comparing some other dude comparing Pedro to Pavano. Beltran has his faults, but he's a bonofide all star with gold gloves to boot.

PS. Why are you calling Cabrera a kid? Aren't you like 14?

Based on how much being paid, yeah, I will say that Melky Cabrera is a better contact hitter than Beltran. For one, Melky isn't overpaid, unlike Carlos. Melky doesn't have the power that Carlos Beltran has, but for the amount both are getting paid, I would much rather have Melky Cabrera.

By the way, I didn't know being born in the year 1987 equals only 14 years old. Nice math you got going there. Besides, what the hell does it matter what I call the guy.

Based on how much being paid, yeah, I will say that Melky Cabrera is a better contact hitter than Beltran. For one, Melky isn't overpaid, unlike Carlos. Melky doesn't have the power that Carlos Beltran has, but for the amount both are getting paid, I would much rather have Melky Cabrera.

By the way, I didn't know being born in the year 1987 equals only 14 years old. Nice math you got going there. Besides, what the hell does it matter what I call the guy.

I must have mistaken you for some other 14 year old poster. Beltran isn't overpaid in this market. Just take a look at the bloated contract abound. If you wanna talk about overpaid players, you can probably start looking at the Yankees' roster, I am sure you can find a few there.

I must have mistaken you for some other 14 year old poster. Beltran isn't overpaid in this market. Just take a look at the bloated contract abound. If you wanna talk about overpaid players, you can probably start looking at the Yankees' roster, I am sure you can find a few there.

Every baseball player is overpaid. I just would rather have a .280 hitting guy who makes about 500,000, or whatever the hell Melky makes, then a .280 hitting guy who gets paid a lot more.

I've been a huge Melky fan and have defended him several times when people say he's just a 4th outfielder. I think it's because so many fans are enamored by the home run that if you have a guy who doesn't hit bombs he's considered a back up if he's not hitting well over .300 to make up for it. I tend to disagree. I think that when a player has the kind of plate discipline that Melky has at 23 years old with his range/arm/speed you get a player who has a lot of tools and plenty of room for improvement. So what if he's not a 30 HR guy. He's still brings a lot to the table and I hope he stays in pinstipes for a long time.

He is a forth outfielder? I disagree, he is the starter center fielder on the new york yankees. He wouldn't be there if they thought that he didn't deserve that spot. He is a solid hitter, he isn't a power guy but he is a good .280-.290 guy with good discipline a very good fielder with a good arm. You can't ask much more from your ninth hitter. Not every guy on your team can be a 30 HR guy.

He is a forth outfielder? I disagree, he is the starter center fielder on the new york yankees. He wouldn't be there if they thought that he didn't deserve that spot. He is a solid hitter, he isn't a power guy but he is a good .280-.290 guy with good discipline a very good fielder with a good arm. You can't ask much more from your ninth hitter. Not every guy on your team can be a 30 HR guy.

Good Post. Not only does Melky firm up the bottom of the Yankees order, but he adds a great deal in the clubhouse to the team. Just watching the way he and Cano celebrate together, and have fun in the dugout makes me ecstatic that we didn't trade this guy!

That curtain call was awesome! It was the fastest, and funniest curtain call I've ever seen, just looks like the Yankees are playing like a bunch of kids having fun! Finally they realize that the best way to play this great game, is by being loose and having fun!

I expect a GREAT year . . . from Melky and the Yankees . . . Zeebers, you and the Muts can GFY.

Melky is fine and is going to get better as the year goes by.

He won't be a guy who puts up monster offensive numbers but he doesn't have to.

Will he be Mantle or Joe D ? Hell no. There are very few that ever even reached that level. I do think though he could be a Bernie Williams.

Um Torii who? Say hello to your 2008 Gold Glove winner.

alg_melky.jpg

This guy is becoming one of my favorite current Yankees. This team is more than fine with both his glove and his bat (which was one of the few bats that worked last post-season).

melky is awesome probably the best arm we have in the outfield and definatly in the top 5 arms in the AL

Not trying to be inflammatory but what are the new dimensions of the new Yankee stadium? Any chance him home-run last night gets out of the park next season?

If they are building it like the OLD Yankee Stadium (i.e. before it was refurbished in 1974 and 1975) then it is probably an upper deck shot. *L*

Right Field in the Old Stadium was even shorter than what it is now. Center and Left Field though were considerbly deeper than what it is now.

Good Post. Not only does Melky firm up the bottom of the Yankees order, but he adds a great deal in the clubhouse to the team. Just watching the way he and Cano celebrate together, and have fun in the dugout makes me ecstatic that we didn't trade this guy!

That curtain call was awesome! It was the fastest, and funniest curtain call I've ever seen, just looks like the Yankees are playing like a bunch of kids having fun! Finally they realize that the best way to play this great game, is by being loose and having fun!

I expect a GREAT year . . . from Melky and the Yankees . . . Zeebers, you and the Muts can GFY.

I actually like it when guys are exuberant and excited. But you're probably one of the hundreds of Yankee fans who rip Reyes for doing the same thing. The point I made was that, the HR was a out in pretty much every other stadium. Obviously Doc Halladay took exception to it. But I am sure anyone that disagrees with your views you can tell em to "GFY". That's real classy. Keep it up, I'm sure the MODS will love it. Please don't confuse the Yankee line up as loaded as it is, is a bunch of "Kids". Everyone in that lineup is 32 or above besides Cano and Cabrera.

I think we are all arguing the same point here. Even though I am being disagreed with, you guys are more or less agreeing with me. My point was that Cabrera is pretty much a .280 hitter with limited power and a good glove. Most of you guys agree that is what he is, and you are fine with that. The only debate is that i think that's a pretty mediocre player, and some of you folks seem to think that's the next great CF or what not. I understand Yankee fans are very sensitive about criticisms about your organization buying your way into Championships and playoffs and such and holding on to your "home grown" kids is very important to you. I get that, but please don't compare the Melkman, to guys like Torri Hunter, Beltran, and great Yankee CFs of that past. That's just not fair or being objective.

The wall was the same distance for every hitter that came up last night. Melky was the only one who managed to take advantage of it. Does this mean Yankee fans should start a thread every time a Sox hitter slaps a fly ball to left field in Fenway that goes for a homer or a double?

I saw the highlights this morning and both catches covered ground. Nice to have a centerfirlder roaming the canyon in Yankee Stadium like that.

The poster in this thread comparing Melky vs Beltran? Those guys give Yankee fans bad names ;)

Dude, that is just ignorant, based on the both how much they're being paid, I would much rather have Melky. Instead of insulting someone because of a persons opinion, why not mind your business?

Dude, that is just ignorant, based on the both how much they're being paid, I would much rather have Melky. Instead of insulting someone because of a persons opinion, why not mind your business?

Your post and comparison has no basis in reality.

Melky Cabrera and Carlos Beltran are at differnt stages in their career.

Melk is not even arbitration eligible yet, meaning that he is still under league salary minimumums.

Carlos Beltran has gone through Free Agency and that is why he is paid what he is. Melky will have that same opportunity, some day.

If you want a true comparison, compare Melky at this stage of his career , with Carlos Beltran at that stage of his career. THAT will give you a point to point basis of comparison of salary to performance.

I could easily say that John Maine is a lot more valuable than Johan Santana, based on salary vs output. But, it would be an utterly stupid thing to say.

Baseball operates under salary guidelines until you are arbitration eligible. Sorry to break teh news to you. It has NOTHING to do with performance.

Oh, this is a public forum, and I am a memebr, so this IS my business.

Your post and comparison has no basis in reality.

Melky Cabrera and Carlos Beltran are at differnt stages in their career.

Melk is not even arbitration eligible yet, meaning that he is still under league salary minimumums.

Carlos Beltran has gone through Free Agency and that is why he is paid what he is. Melky will have that same opportunity, some day.

If you want a true comparison, compare Melky at this stage of his career , with Carlos Beltran at that stage of his career. THAT will give you a point to point basis of comparison of salary to performance.

I could easily say that John Maine is a lot more valuable than Johan Santana, based on salary vs output. But, it would be an utterly stupid thing to say.

Baseball operates under salary guidelines until you are arbitration eligible. Sorry to break teh news to you. It has NOTHING to do with performance.

Oh, this is a public forum, and I am a memebr, so this IS my business.

Melky should never become a 10 million per year kind of guy, he doesn't have the homerun power that a Beltran, or Torii Hunter has. Sure, he'll have his chance to get paid, but unless he gets his home run total at least up to 20, he'll never be paid like a Beltran.

Melky should never become a 10 million per year kind of guy, he doesn't have the homerun power that a Beltran, or Torii Hunter has. Sure, he'll have his chance to get paid, but unless he gets his home run total at least up to 20, he'll never be paid like a Beltran.

Shouldn't we wait and see, before the crystal balls come out?

Who would have ever dreamed that Eric Byrnes and Aaron Rowand would become that highly paid?

Shouldn't we wait and see, before the crystal balls come out?

Who would have ever dreamed that Eric Byrnes and Aaron Rowand would become that highly paid?

I always thought Aaron Rowand had potential, never really thought much about Eric Byrnes, didn't think he ever had a chance to become anything good. I guess you could compare Melky to either of these two. Not yet as good as them, but can be compared to them.

Archived