Patriots Sign Victor Hobson

MagicBizkit87

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is not an Andre Wadsworth signing, this guy will play in the NFL this year, it was only a matter of where. mY guess was Buffalo but NE needed (and still needs) help too. Victor Hobson is terrible but so are the Pats LBs.

the good news is - as most Jets fans know as a stone cold mortal lock

Victor Hobson stinks. :P

this is not an Andre Wadsworth signing, this guy will play in the NFL this year, it was only a matter of where. mY guess was Buffalo but NE needed (and still needs) help too. Victor Hobson is terrible but so are the Pats LBs.

the good news is - as most Jets fans know as a stone cold mortal lock

Victor Hobson stinks. :P

He can be any worse than the Monty Beisel signing in 2005. That guy made Hobson look like a HOF'er

He can be any worse than the Monty Beisel signing in 2005. That guy made Hobson look like a HOF'er

I kid. Victor is ok. Rest assured he's not worse than Chad Brown and a guy with a hole in his heart.

He's strong, has experience, can tackle and commit personal fouls on occasion. Used to be alot more aggressive. recently has stunk as a pass rusher - Hobson has never had speed outside contain - on running tosses or pass coverage.

The theory is he's better off inside, and that's probably where the Pats will try him out. He's a lotto ticket inside, could pay off but could get cut. a 2 down backer probably not playing much special teams.

Question for you all -if it was not the Pats picking him up would anyone be worried about it?

Of course not. Hobson is a low risk pick-up that may, or may not, be a serviceable ILB - spelling Bruschi and Gawd knows who else (Seau hasn't said whether he's returning or not). At the very least, Hobson could be helpful in revealing Jets players tendencies.

Of course not. Hobson is a low risk pick-up that may, or may not, be a serviceable ILB - spelling Bruschi and Gawd knows who else (Seau hasn't said whether he's returning or not). At the very least, Hobson could be helpful in revealing Jets players tendencies.

If that's what they wanted, they could have just watched some film, or asked Herm. :)

Don't you guys have secret cameras for tha sort of stuff??:lol:

the point I will make is big deal- Hobson was and is not anything special-let him tell the Patriots all our secrets on how bad we played defense the last couple of years.

As far as I can tell, Hobson is an okay pick-up, nothing to get excited over - but who knows what the BB-PEES-CAPERS trio can do with him. If he ends up being a better pick-up than the Jets signing of Matt Chatham, I'll be happy. ;)

This is what I love about message boards. If the Jets had resigned Hobson, Jets' fans would be saying how good of a pickup it is, and Pats' fans would be saying how much he sucks. But since the Pats signed him, it's the Pats' fans saying it's a good pickup and Jets' fans saying he sucks :)

PATS PLUCK HOBSON

Posted by Mike Florio on April 7, 2008, 2:42 p.m.

The tit-for-tat between the New York Jets and New England Patriots continued on Monday, with the Pats signing one of the Jets’ free agents.

Specifically, the Pats have agreed to terms with linebacker Victor Hobson on a one-year deal, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network. It’s a one-year deal.

Hobson, a second-round pick in 2003, has spent all five of his NFL seasons with the Jets. He started 14 games in 2007, 16 games in 2006, and 16 games in 2005.

This certainly isnt good news. He's going to be another James Farrior. I see a few posts saying that linebackers are taken away from us when they suck but they do good on other teams. Its probably because teams realize that we pick up very good LB's but we dont keep them long enough to get the money's worth. They allow the Jets to do the nurturing then they come around and reap the benefits.

The Jets need to stop doing that. Not every Linebacker is going to come straight out of college and do what Harris did.

What would be really messed up is that we lose Hobson and trade Vilma and Harris becomes a "one season wonder" or Pace is a slow start. They're putting alot on those dudes plates.

Anybody who is glad that Hobson has signed with the Patriots is insane. Just remember the last two linebackers that were with us, and then signed with them. Roman Phifer, and James Farrior. Who says Hobson can't be the next one of them? He has the potential, and most likely he'll find that potential with New England.

When was Farrior with the Cheaters? Didn't he sign with the Steelers when he left us and is still there?

BB and Capers are not going to do anything special with Hobson because you can't coach speed and Hobson is dog slow. He is a serviceable LB that should not be starting, but will add quality depth and if somebody goes down and he has to start it won't kill you. The Pats LBs suck, so he'll fit right in and can help them out. Low risk, low reward, low interest signing.

Farrior went to the Steelers and IIRC did not even start when he first went over there. He did not immediately blow up after he left the Jets

the sad part is that Victor Hobson can be a productive and winning player with the Patriots - why? Because of Tom Brady.

At the end of the day put Brady with 51 street bums and he wll still make the playoffs. Meanwhile the jets need 4 first round OL and studs at every position to compete because the QBs absolutely suck balls.

For years, Hobson has played behind one of the worst DL's in the NFL.

regardless of what the front 3 or 4 looked like he would disappear for months at a time PR37-he didn't make plays...we needed this guy gone and I wish him the best and all (as we do with ALL ex-Jets) just glad WE won't have to suffer his inconsistency anymore. I would say he sucked no matter where he went-not just New England.

regardless of what the front 3 or 4 looked like he would disappear for months at a time PR37-he didn't make plays...we needed this guy gone and I wish him the best and all (as we do with ALL ex-Jets) just glad WE won't have to suffer his inconsistency anymore. I would say he sucked no matter where he went-not just New England.

He just is not that good-just serviceable. Good luck on the Pats.

Inside job: Patriots sign ex-Jet Hobson By Christopher L. Gasper

Globe Staff / April 8, 2008

The Patriots decided they couldn't wait until the NFL draft later this month to upgrade at inside linebacker, so they waded into the free agent pool and plucked out former Jet Victor Hobson, signing him to a one-year deal.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The acquisition of the 28-year-old Hobson, who spent the first five seasons of his career with New York, is less about the latest broadside in the Border War with the Jets and their coach, Eric Mangini, and more about the Patriots bolstering their linebacking corps.

The 6-foot, 252-pound Hobson was used as a strong-side outside linebacker in the Jets' 3-4 defense the last two seasons, but was really not suited for the position. He is stout against the run and has a body type more suited to 3-4 inside linebacker, which is where the Patriots plan to use him.

Last season, Hobson played in all 16 games, starting 14, and finished with 62 tackles and two sacks. His best season came in 2006, when he had 100 tackles, six sacks, and an interception.

"Victor is a good young player with considerable playing experience," said Patriots coach Bill Belichick. "We are excited about his addition to our linebacker unit."

A teammate of Tom Brady's at the University of Michigan, Hobson was taken by the Jets in the second round of the 2003 draft. For his career, Hobson has played in 76 out of a possible 80 games, making 58 starts. He has 343 tackles, 11 sacks, 3 interceptions, 3 fumble recoveries, and 2 forced fumbles.

With Junior Seau still deciding between riding the waves and riding running backs to the ground after surgery for a torn rotator cuff, Hobson's addition, along with the return of Tedy Bruschi, gives the Patriots some security at inside linebacker.

The team also has Eric Alexander, T.J. Slaughter, and Larry Izzo as backups inside, and outside linebackers Mike Vrabel and Adalius Thomas, who spent most of his first season with the Patriots playing inside, both have experience playing inside.

The Patriots also have Pierre Woods as a reserve at outside linebacker and are expected to pick up another outside linebacker later in this month's draft.

University of Arizona cornerback Antoine Cason was in town for a predraft visit yesterday, sitting down with Belichick, among others. Also visiting was Georgia Tech defensive end/linebacker Darrell Robertson.

Troy University's Leodis McKelvin, a strong candidate to be the first cornerback taken in the draft and a possible top-10 selection, is slated to visit next week.

In addition to being a top-notch cover corner, McKelvin is a dangerous kickoff and punt returner. He had eight career return touchdowns (seven punts, one kickoff).

The Patriots will also host Auburn defensive end/linebacker Quentin Groves next week.

NFL teams are allowed up to 30 in-house visits with prospects before the draft. A visit is essentially a final interview and medical check.

Christopher L. Gasper can be reached at cgasper@globe.com.

So, is Gaspers sentiment correct? Hobson was used incorrectly? Isn't this the same story with Vilma? Does it make you question Mangini's abilities at all?

So, is Gaspers sentiment correct? Hobson was used incorrectly? Isn't this the same story with Vilma? Does it make you question Mangini's abilities at all?

Garb it's spin. Hobson was tried at all LB positions. Mangini does this at the beginning of every camp, all the OLB and ILB rotate into each other positions. Hobson just sucked at ILB.

all that being said Hobson will probably start and "do great" in NE because their ILB corp is pathetic.

Garb it's spin. Hobson was tried at all LB positions. Mangini does this at the beginning of every camp, all the OLB and ILB rotate into each other positions. Hobson just sucked at ILB.

all that being said Hobson will probably start and "do great" in NE because their ILB corp is pathetic.

Honestly, I thought Seau was pretty decent last year. I'll give you Bruschi - he went downhill fast. Wish he had hung 'em up. All that said, I think the belief is that a stellar d-line can mask the inadequacies of a weak to mediocre ILB corps. You are right - Hobson is an upgrade over Bruschi...and you a probably right in basically saying that "that's not saying much." :)

Archived