Miami reaches agreement with Jake Long (Merged 4X)

InstantClassic

fantastic. Now, if the rams take a dt we have a great chance to get long, who I like more then gholston. Hey quick question. Now that the phins have come to agreement with long could the rams do the same thing since everyone knows that the phins have their pick and signed him?

Wow, the Fins locked up their #1 pick a full 4 days before the draft. Good for them.

Now when the draft starts at 3pm Saturday, do we have to wait until 3:10 to hear the pick announcement? Could they just get on with the #2 pick?!

fantastic. Now, if the rams take a dt we have a great chance to get long, who I like more then gholston. Hey quick question. Now that the phins have come to agreement with long could the rams do the same thing since everyone knows that the phins have their pick and signed him?

Thats correct... the rams can negotiate as soon as jake long is official..

Wow, the Fins locked up their #1 pick a full 4 days before the draft. Good for them.

Now when the draft starts at 3pm Saturday, do we have to wait until 3:10 to hear the pick announcement? Could they just get on with the #2 pick?!

Unfortunately we stil have to wait for them to announce it..

I remember reading somewhere when the news first came out that the Fins were

trying to sign Jake, that if he did sign before the draft that the Rams could start

talking to whomever they wanted and also sign him.

Thats correct... the rams can negotiate as soon as jake long is official..

Quite correct. The difference between the Dolphins & any team beyond the 1st pick is that they had until 12:00 AM Thursday to negotiate - This new rule allows the NFL to have the 1st pick available at the draft, without the threat of a pick not being in NYC on Draft day.

It also allows the next team down to attempt to sign their pick prior to the draft.

The Rams now have until 3:10PM Saturday to make the deal...

How ticked do you think the NFL is right now ,that the Tuna has taken away their big monment of revealing who will be no. 1

Not too ticked - See my prior post - It's an NFL draft rule when dealing with the 1st pick.

Joisey, they can not officially have a "welcome to Miami" press conference until 3:01 PM Saturday but they can sign their #1 pick prior to the draft.

On another note...

Toon: the Texans had a "Tentative Agreement" with both Reggie Bush & Mario Williams in 2006, stating to both that either one would be their pick at #1. However, neither one was commited to a contract, which one would have had to been if they declared one of them their pick prior to the draft - which they could have.

So John Clayton has reported that:

1. Jake Long - Dolphins

2. Glen Dorsey - Rams or apparently N.O. has called to move up to get him. This allows them to move Carraiker back to his normal position outside.

3. Matt Ryan - ATL - wanted Dorsey but instead of reach for Ellis will take the QB

4. This is the wild card - they can go for any of the three guys that we want. Will Al Davis be able to pass up Howie's son playing in Silver and Black? Will he go for the freakishly fast DMC or will he go for the freakish athlete in Gholston?

My money is on Davis taking Long.

5. This all depends on Jared Allen if he is dealt then they go Gholston, if he is still there they go Ellis or OL.

6. JETS - Darren McFadden come on down. the place will be rocking, everyone will be screaming for him and the Jets finally have someone that may actually scare an opposing Defense and someone they may actually have to scheme against. We have our playmaker.

Hey quick question. Now that the phins have come to agreement with long could the rams do the same thing since everyone knows that the phins have their pick and signed him?

No. Even if they have an agreement, Miami still has to "pick" Long at the draft before they can actually have a valid deal. They're just allowed to talk to players re: contracts before the draft because they have the first pick.

Besides, the ratings for the draft would suck if they allowed that.

Chris Long isn't coming here.

If Mia does take J.Long, and STL takes Dorsey

then I can see Atlanta taking either Ellis, Ryan, or OL

Oak taking DMC/C.LOng/or Gholston

KC taking OL

NYJ would have a choice between 2 of DMC/C.Long/ or Gholston.

If Mia does take J.Long, and STL takes Dorsey

then I can see Atlanta taking either Ellis, Ryan, or OL

Oak taking DMC/C.LOng/or Gholston

KC taking OL

NYJ would have a choice between 2 of DMC/C.Long/ or Gholston.

I will take any of them and be happy. This is my order though.

1. McFadden

2. Long

3. Gholston

So John Clayton has reported that:

1. Jake Long - Dolphins

2. Glen Dorsey - Rams or apparently N.O. has called to move up to get him. This allows them to move Carraiker back to his normal position outside.

3. Matt Ryan - ATL - wanted Dorsey but instead of reach for Ellis will take the QB

4. This is the wild card - they can go for any of the three guys that we want. Will Al Davis be able to pass up Howie's son playing in Silver and Black? Will he go for the freakishly fast DMC or will he go for the freakish athlete in Gholston?

My money is on Davis taking Long.

5. This all depends on Jared Allen if he is dealt then they go Gholston, if he is still there they go Ellis or OL.

6. JETS - Darren McFadden come on down. the place will be rocking, everyone will be screaming for him and the Jets finally have someone that may actually scare an opposing Defense and someone they may actually have to scheme against. We have our playmaker.

How awesome would it be if we have a choice between Gholston and DMC? Either pick would be satisfying. What's more, we might be able to trade down and nab a bunch of picks. It might be even better if somehow Long and DMC are available...

How awesome would it be if we have a choice between Gholston and DMC? Either pick would be satisfying. What's more, we might be able to trade down and nab a bunch of picks. It might be even better if somehow Long and DMC are available...

I know i'm a DMC fan, but if it's between Long, and DMC.

I gotta go Long.

But once again if 2 of Long/Gholston/Dmc are available for us whoever we get will be an A+

What a gutless move. Jake Long is just not a special talent.

He's the safest pick. OL generally are, and this year everyone else has some sort of bust issue - except maybe Chris Long. I can't fault the pick. Getting it done before the draft earns high marks, too. I hope the Jets' pick gets into camp on time.

All that said, f^ck 'em, and I hope the only bigger bust is the guy that goes to the Pats.

Archived