So is Willie Parker done in Pittsburgh?

Matt39

I would read into it. Parker can only function behind a great offensive line. He is McFadden in that he can't break tackles and needs running lanes to survive in this league. Mendenhall can move the pile and get forward. We night not see Rashard on every highlight reel but you can bet he'll be at or around 100 yards on the ground on a consistant basis.

Parker will soon be a third down back, which is exactly where he belongs.

Parker is a one dimensional home run hitter. He doesn't get tough yards, he doesn't catch passes, and he fumbles far too often.

Mendenhall was a great pick for the Steelers, but Parker isn't going anywhere for the time being.

Willie Parker simply can't carry the load in Pittsburgh, thats all it is. A Pittsburgh RB by himself would have to carry the rock 300-350 times a season and Willie Parker isn't built way. This allows the Steelers to keep him fresh for bigger games and the RB by committee is the popular way to go in today's NFL.

Willie Parker simply can't carry the load in Pittsburgh, thats all it is. A Pittsburgh RB by himself would have to carry the rock 300-350 times a season and Willie Parker isn't built way. This allows the Steelers to keep him fresh for bigger games and the RB by committee is the popular way to go in today's NFL.

Parker did just that for the past 2 seasons.

But I think it's stupid. They'd be better served by giving a tired defense a constant dose of fresh-legged Mendenhall & Parker in the 4th quarter. Slavishly giving a single RB that many carries, with defenders as big/strong/fast as they are these days, is idiotic.

Yes SE, Parker did it but he got injuried towards the end of this past season and was worn down late in the year in 2006. The Steelers were reading the writing on the wall that if they kept giving Parker the ball 300-350 times a season his shelf life was going to be even less than most Running Backs. They made a smart move by giving him a complement to take the ball 10-15 times a game.

Yes SE, Parker did it but he got injuried towards the end of this past season and was worn down late in the year in 2006. The Steelers were reading the writing on the wall that if they kept giving Parker the ball 300-350 times a season his shelf life was going to be even less than most Running Backs. They made a smart move by giving him a complement to take the ball 10-15 times a game.

Eh, you cant attribute a broken leg to having too many carries, and the last two games before his injury game he averaged 5.9 and 7.1 ypc against New England and Jax, respectively--two very good defenses. Despite having only 1 carry for -1 yards in the last 2 games(he got hurt in the next to last), he finished 4th in yard in the entire league

However, as said by many others in this thread, he's a homerun hitter---but he can be very effective....especially if he and Mendenhall are both fresh in the 4th quarter.

Doubt it. Having more than 1 good RB is all the rage. They'll most likely split playing time to keep both fresh into the 4th quarter.

Thats the plan. Most of us fans were elated that he fell in our laps. Then Limas Sweed falls to us in 2, that made our draft. I look for Mendenhall to be the starter by year 2 with Parker going back to his 3rd down role tho. Finally we Steelers fans have an offense that hopefully can put alot of points up! :)

Def not done, RBBC is the plan of attack. Did they fill the hole at OG in the draft or in FA, since I haven't been following their team

Even with Faneca last year, they gave up a ton of sacks. BTW, i think you Jets fans will be a bit let down with him as far as his pass blocking goes as well.

They signed Justin Hartwig but he'll be the starting C.

As far as replacing Faneca at LG, they'll either go Kemoeatu, Simmons IMO and not miss a beat.

Even with Faneca last year, they gave up a ton of sacks. BTW, i think you Jets fans will be a bit let down with him as far as his pass blocking goes as well.

As far as replacing Faneca at LG, they'll either go Kemoeatu, Simmons IMO and not miss a beat.

Come on now, I wouldn't say miss a beat. This isn't any regular offensive lineman, he's arguably a Top 5 OL.

Stiller, when your tackles just flat out under perform or are always hurt, you can't rely on the Left Guard to hold up the entire line by himself. Ferguson and Mangold played well in '07 and the line still sucked here in New York. I havn't seen a decline in Faneca's play yet and I'd like to believe he will give us three or four strong, solid seasons here.

I really hope the Alan Faneca we see next year is not the Alan Faneca that allowed Dewayne Robertson to get 2.5 sacks last season. I'm still optimistic about Faneca but I know there is a remote possibility he could be a bust plus he's a bit undersized for LG and he's already playing next to an undersized LT in Ferguson.

I'm just sayin', guys........... Faneca runblocking and Faneca passblocking are two different cats. Alot of his problems last year may have been due to tryin' to help sucky Mahan out. He wasn't worth the money to us tho. I mean look how much we gave Ben and look who was not drafted to replace him. Usually the Steeler FO makes wise decisions in reguards to this type thing. I could be way off here, but i gotta beleve my FO knows something about Faneca.

Hey, if John Madden thinks Faneca has plenty of left in the tank, thats enough for me Stiller, even though I respect your opinion and will keep it in mind.

As for runblocking, I have got to believe that was more of the reason the Jets brought in Faneca. They obviously want to be a running team with Jones, Washington and Chatman. Their two QB's are: 1. Game Manger and 2. A Third year player whose had 8 career starts. Both need strong running games to succeed right now, IMO.

As for the money they gave Ben, well Stiller, you and I have known each other for a while and we both know how I feel about Ben Handoff Roethlisberger. He is no way worth that kind of coin. Dennis Dixon will be the starting QB in three years. Mike Tomlin needs a homeboy back there. ;)

LOL

Was just gonna ask you guys what ya thought of the Dennis Dixon pick. Colbert says he was looked at as a QB first but he also said once he gets into camp they'll see what else he could bring to the team. I'm thinkin' he could be along the lines of a slash type player. Oh, what'd ya's think of the Mendenhall and Sweed picks too?

I think some of our views on Mendenhall have been addressed in this thread Stiller. Willie simply wears down late in the season and also got injuried this past season after carrying the ball 300-350 times a year. He is not built for that type of pounding IMO and obviously in the Steelers' minds as well. Smart pick especially when Branden Albert was off the board.

Limas Sweed was a good pick-up because you have the tough yardage guy in Ward, the speedster in Holmes and now you have the tall, redzone type target in Sweed to pair with Heath Miller.

Dennis Dixon? I don't see him anywhere but Quarterback but you know the second he was picked that you and the rest of Steeler Nation were thinking one thing and one thing only: Kordell Stewart 2. I don't see it happening.

Overall the Steelers had a very good draft.

LOL

Was just gonna ask you guys what ya thought of the Dennis Dixon pick. Colbert says he was looked at as a QB first but he also said once he gets into camp they'll see what else he could bring to the team. I'm thinkin' he could be along the lines of a slash type player. Oh, what'd ya's think of the Mendenhall and Sweed picks too?

If they try and play Dixon out of position it will be a huge mistake. Dixon is a QB and can be a good one if given the time to develop, at worst he will be a good backup who you can rely on if the starter gets injured.

Dennis Dixon? I don't see him anywhere but Quarterback but you know the second he was picked that you and the rest of Steeler Nation were thinking one thing and one thing only: Kordell Stewart 2. I don't see it happening.

Are you sayin' Antwaan Randle El and Kordell Stewart spoiled us Steeler fans? ;)

Are you sayin' Antwaan Randle El and Kordell Stewart spoiled us Steeler fans? ;)

Dennis Dixon is a much better Quarterback than both of them, IMO.

And yes you have been spoiled with Randle El and Korsell. I mean, look at how well Brad Smith has done for us. ](*,)

Archived